Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voda 3G Handsets (Compare Nokia & SE)

Options
  • 04-06-2005 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi thinking of changing my phone and with this €100 off deal with vodafone I am trying to make my mind up.

Just asking for peoples opinion on the two phones and what there personal experiences of them are.

Also if anyone could point me in the direction of a good quality review on each phone it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea delta, i'm thinkin of goin for the 6630 meself, any reviews appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Had a 6630. Changed it for a V800.
    Know somebody else who had a V800 and changed it for a 6630
    It's really down to personal choice

I have used Nokias for years now and always swore by them, but recently I have used some SE phones and I am impressed also, so I said I'd give the V800 a shot

Honestly, I think the 6630 would just scrape it in my preferences. The main reason being, there are loads of apps out there for Series 60 phones, whereas the V800 is a brilliant phone also, but its more a phone (if you know what I mean)

So, if you like something even bordering on PC or Pocket PC functionality, go for the Nokia and if you just want to make phone calls and maybe listen to a few songs and watch some videos etc, go for the V800.

Hope this helps, but its really a very personal thing. i'm sure others would totally disagree with me and go for the SE every time :)

Be aware that the battery life is extremely poor on the Nokia 6630. You'll most likely get 1½ days at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

thanks for that. wolfman, i know you can debrand the v800 to the z800 and does that open up alot of features.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, what about the 6680 rather than the 6630?

there are reviews of the two nokia handsets and the non-voda version of V800 (Z800) here:
    http://www.mobile-review.com/index-en.shtml

• Advertisement

I was looking at the 6630 and v800 as they are €199 or €249. Just thought I might put up an extra 50 if the SE was good so never thought about the 6680.

Is the 6680 worth the extra €100 over the 6630?

well the both run pretty much the same operating system and have pretty similar specs... would prefer the form factor and feel of the 6680, also if video-calls are of interest the 6680 has two-way video built in (compared with the 6630 requiring a separate cradle)... any other specs are availble form the Nokia Comparison Tool: 6680 v 6630

check out the reviews on the mobile-review.com site (google for others), make sure you go into a Voda store and ask for a demo of the handsets that interest you so you can check them out first hand to help make a decision...

Cheers, and thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Karsini wrote:
    Be aware that the battery life is extremely poor on the Nokia 6630. You'll most likely get 1½ days at most.

The battery is fine. I get 2 days of fairly HEAVY usage, my dad, who rarely uses his phone (bout 25mins a day calls, 2 or 3 txts) charges it every 3 or 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Been using the 6680 all week and have had the 6630 for months. They are fairly similar, the battery life seems to be identical (technically the same phone I supppose?). Their is some slight tweaks to the UI but nothing major. The 6680 is slightly laggy too.

• Advertisement

Do not get the V800 by the way. Had the V800 for 2 months in between using thr 6630 and it was depressing. The battery would barely last a day with any sort of usage at all. The 6630 will get at least 1.5 days with alot of usage (my bills are over 400 euro, alot of usage!!).

i just charge the 6630 every night to make sure i'm not 'caught short' when out and about later the next day, which unfortunately happened a few times after getting the handset and not initially charging as frequently... but you learn to adapt...

everyone uses their phone to varying degrees over time / compared to other people, so battery life will vary accordingly...

Another question for you, is there much difference in quality while viewing images or watching videos between the phone as the 6630 is 65k while the v800 is 256K

Jammer wrote:
    The battery is fine. I get 2 days of fairly HEAVY usage, my dad, who rarely uses his phone (bout 25mins a day calls, 2 or 3 txts) charges it every 3 or 4 days.
    I usually only got a day and a half without doing anything!

My brother's 6230 also lasted a lot less time here than in Dublin. Maybe its a coverage issue here or something.

Maybe using one band requires more RF activity by the handset than when using the other band? I have never heard of this though, nor do I know enough about that lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

i only get bout a day and a half at best out of mine it's because it has to constantly switch between the 3g and 2g networks according to vodafone the more you move around the country the less battery life u will get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Just discovered this phone on vodafone.ie

EUR 199 on RTG (new or "upgrade")

http://www.vodafone.ie/onlinestore/product.jsp?cat=phones&productId=16839

Can't decide if I should buy it, if it was 100 I'd be into town tomorrow for 9am, but for 200... do you have any comments or anything to help me decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

its a class phone, probably one of the best around at the min. its a bargain at €200

vector wrote:
    Just discovered this phone on vodafone.ie

EUR 199 on RTG (new or "upgrade")

http://www.vodafone.ie/onlinestore/product.jsp?cat=phones&productId=16839

Can't decide if I should buy it, if it was 100 I'd be into town tomorrow for 9am, but for 200... do you have any comments or anything to help me decide

did you not read the other posts, this thread is about the offer and which phone to get...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

OK i've decided to make a move from O2 to Vodafone and get a 3g handset. Not overly interested in 3g as such, althought it's be nice to have. but like the V800 fone and mostly want the Tarriff.

Can anyone tell me if they have gone 3g with Voda and maybe recommend which phone to get? My sister in law got the sharp one which she says is really cool. But i think it looks a bit big.

any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

setanta5 wrote:
    OK i've decided to make a move from O2 to Vodafone and get a 3g handset. Not overly interested in 3g as such, althought it's be nice to have. but like the V800 fone and mostly want the Tarriff.

Can anyone tell me if they have gone 3g with Voda and maybe recommend which phone to get? My sister in law got the sharp one which she says is really cool. But i think it looks a bit big.

any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated

The tariffs are ace arent they especially the unlimited CAFF , the 6680 seems to be a pick of them tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Does anyone know if the 6680 has realtones or let you use any mp3s on the phone as tones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

Dave6195 wrote:
    Does anyone know if the 6680 has realtones or let you use any mp3s on the phone as tones?

yeah it can

Advertisement