Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The new manager for Republic of Ireland poll

• 05-06-2005 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

In light of the poor display last night I think its about time we had a poll on whether we need a new Ireland manager or not.

Personally, when Kerr got the job I was over the moon. I thought he was the best man for the job.

However in the last few years there have been too many bad results when we really needed them. Meaningless friendlies are all very well but when it comes down to qualifiying Kerr isnt really delivering.

Kerr seems like a overly negative coach. He is too cautious and causes panic when there is no need. He failed to deliver against Switzerland in Euro 2004 and in the finals it was shown that they are a crap side.

He drew the game against the French when a more positive coach would have bagged the three points.

He threw away the three points in Israel when he built up the Israeli team to be something special when they are clearly inferior.

Last night he made a savage amount of changes when only 1 had to do. He restorted in long ball tatics for over 50 minutes when its clearly not our forte any more.

So here we are , backed into the corner again and have to win all of our remaining games. We may not even get to the finals in Germany. Kerr has long enough to think about things and he tatically unsound and mentally weak.

Does the Republic of Ireland soccer team need a new manager 88 votes

Yes we do - sack Kerr
    0% 0 votes
    No we dont - keep Kerr
    30% 27 votes
    Undecided / dont know
    69% 61 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'm not a fan of Kerr but I think he should be left in place for the rest of the campaign (just unlike the way McCarthy unfairly wasn't - but thats politics I suppose) if only to retain continuity. At this point I don't honestly see us qualifying (didn't after Israel (a) either as my posts will testify) so I don't suppose it really matters but I'm not a fan of sacking the manager mid-campaign.

That said tho if McCarthy offered to dump Sunderland and come back (odds 1,000,000 to 1 perhaps? :) ) I'd tell Kerr to pack his bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

way too premature!!

are we becoming like the english team, one bad result and we call for the managers head??

wise up lads, we just need to rebuild this is the first bad result of the campaign so stop yer moanin and get behind the lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

**** that ****e.
    I've always said his approach is too negative.
    He can only bring Ireland to the level they are at now, he can never take them that extra step, ever, he doesn't have the style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

He is definitely too negative.
    And his cautiousness shows in the way the team play.
    2-0 up after 11 minutes, they should have kept going and made it 4-0 or more.
    What was he thinking bring off Reid?
    I didn't see him pick up an injury and he looked pretty miffed when he was taken off.
    If anyone in midfield was going to come off, it should have been Kilbane. I'm not going to get into a debate about how useless he is, but he added nothing to the side last night.
    Did Kerr not watch the CL final?
    At 2-0, you keep pushing.
    Surely they could have played hard til halftime and then with 3/4 goal lead, maybe sit back a little.

I've no idea who should replace him and i'm not sure now would be the right time, it would be too unsettling.
    But he needs to cop on.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

VinnyL wrote:
    way too premature!!

are we becoming like the english team, one bad result and we call for the managers head??

wise up lads, we just need to rebuild this is the first bad result of the campaign so stop yer moanin and get behind the lads!

The problem is this is not just one result. There have been quite a few including the game in Israel, he is way to negative and tactically inept.

Knowing the FAI thou they will probably extend his contract !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

We need a coach that has real international experience someone who the players will respect and someone who can make decisions when things go wrong. I like Kerr and and he has done a lot of good things with the youths but I think he's out of his dept now.

Problem is trying to find a good manager to replace him, probably best to let him finish the qualifiers then replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Oh god, but I supposed I should be surprised we even went almost a day before the "sack the manager thread".
    He drew the game against the French when a more positive coach would have bagged the three points.
    So a draw in Paris is a mark against him now? We had a lot of that game, despite losing one of our strikers in the first half. Some players missed chances. That was a great result.
    He threw away the three points in Israel when he built up the Israeli team to be something special when they are clearly inferior.
    Im sure it was a typo, but we only threw away two points. To an unlucky last minute goal.

No team in this group has managed to beat Israel. Neither France nor Switzerland. We have probably come the closest, twice. Israel are like us, some bad players, some good players, lots of heart, do anything to win.
    Last night he made a savage amount of changes when only 1 had to do. He restorted in long ball tatics for over 50 minutes when its clearly not our forte any more.
    I agree he made a large amount of changes, and they didnt all pay off, on another day they might have. However the long ball tactics caused them a lot of trouble, and he should have scored from some of the docs knock downs, Im sure Kerr knew that they would be weak from this style of tactic, hence why he resorted to it so early.
    So here we are , backed into the corner again and have to win all of our remaining games. We may not even get to the finals in Germany. Kerr has long enough to think about things and he tatically unsound and mentally weak.
    Here we are, having to win our home games, welcome to international football.

We are still in the best position we have been in for a long time in a qualification campaign. And two home wins, and probably even one win and a draw and we could still top the group (providing we get two away wins against the weaker seeds in the group, again welcome to international football).

I agree with Pigman II, which Im surprised at because I know he is far from a fan of Kerr, to sack a manager mid-campaign is ridiculous. Im not his biggest fan, but we are still in a decent position to qualify, just as good to 2002 when we beat Holland to qualify. To be honest Id rather our chances against a poor Swiss and a poor French team.

And one final thought, even if we were to sack him, who the hell do we get in instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I’m not calling for Kerr's head today. It would probably be the worst thing for the team but maybe he is not the right manager for the job.

However, we have clearly the best team in this group yet qualification is in doubt. Should we fail to qualify then serious questions must be asked about Kerr and the whole Irish mentality.

We should have beaten the French in Paris. The fact that Josh missed a sitter and 3 full points, is not acceptable. I thought Ireland moved on from nearly men and supporting moral victories. We should have won those two away games.

The game in Tel Aviv was a disaster. There was no management there !! So what that if we scored so early.. We should have kept playing for the second and third !!

Last night was the biggest fúck up of all time. Keano injured – then bring on Elliott. Full stop. Elliott is in the form of his life.. Robbie rarely defends anyway, so the whole balance of the team is kept and we probably would have scored a few more. In the thick of it, Kerr keeps fouling up.

We have to beat Switzerland and France at home and two tricky away fixtures.. Since when have we ever won 4 games in a row for a WCQ against 1/2 decent opposition. That’s if all of our players aren’t injured.

This WCQ could have been a breeze but teams have been hyped up and the team has made it incredibly difficult for themselves.

I hope this WCQ is a whole learning process for Kerr and he learns from his mistakes.. If so then it will be worth it in the long run.. If not were just going around in circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

His record is fairly **** in competitive games i mean he has lost once, thats once too many for me. And playing with not losing as a primary importance and not attacking like Man Utd or Arse i mean thats another reason why he has to go now.

Also our new manager will find better players in championship and premiership who possibly dont know where Ireland but it will raise their transfer fees and thus it will benefit both parties.

Bring back Jack Charlton and we put em under pressure and win the World Champions leagueship.

Also you forgot to add a list of better available managers always helps in a poll where you want someone out at least try to name a replacement.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I agree with Jivin' Turkey and VinnyL, im very disappointed to see this thread. Brian Kerr is a good manager and I doubt it very much that any manager would have us in a better situation than we are right now. Considering we had 2 key players suspended and finnan injured and then lost keane during the match the team was weakened and it showed.

The only mistakes that Kerr made i think was that he took Duff off the right wing and not taking off Kilbane. The referee was very poor and with a good ref we could of had a penalty or two and that keeper wouldn't have gotten away with those antics.

This group is far from over and you sound like english supporters calling for the managers head with two key games(Swiss & France) to play.

• Advertisement

i meant the poll as somethign to gauge peoples idea's on Kerr's performance.. too many options wouldnt make the answer very clear cut.

Still at the end of the day it comes down to competitive matches... Kerr lost the important competitive matches.. fair enough he took over in Euro2004 so it can be excused.

However this WCQ can be compared to Mc Carthy's last WC where we were up against far better oppostion.

He hasnt lost a match in this group. Mick manged a playoff place, Kerr can still top the group if he wins these next few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

irish1 wrote:
    We need a coach that has real international experience someone who the players will respect and someone who can make decisions when things go wrong. I like Kerr and and he has done a lot of good things with the youths but I think he's out of his dept now.

A manager with professional experience would be sufficient :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Kerr is great, he messed up on the first game ... but yesterday he prepared the team for a hard game, hell the got two goals really early, then became poor... but after half time they were back in action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Dempsey wrote:
    The only mistakes that Kerr made i think was that he took Duff off the right wing and not taking off Kilbane. The referee was very poor and with a good ref we could of had a penalty or two and that keeper wouldn't have gotten away with those antics.

Mistakes that probably cost us the match.
    How could he watch that match and think that kilbane was making a contribution?
    Reid was the only one that really making an impact and he took him off.
    Doherty is next to useless and shouldn't have been brought on.
    The long ball stuff smacks of lack of imagination and desperation.

We can blame the ref all went, personally i thought he was terrible and shouldn't be allowed to ref such important games again.
    But you still have to keep playing, regardless of the ref.
    We can't really blame the ref for our performance in the first half.
    It should have been a whitewash, keane being injured was a setback, but you stick to the game plan, the one that had netted us 2 goals.
    Duff is not an out and out striker, he's just not comfortable there.
    So bring on someone who is.

Two mistakes they might have been but very important ones, and ones that shouldn't be made by a manager at this level.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is'nt my concern really (!) but regardless of Kerrs lack of tactical nous is'nt it a bit much to expect Ireland to qualify for every major tournament?
    The sqaud he has to draw on is'nt of any great depth. Also before saying back back McCarthy or Big Jack lets not forget the major shortcommings that occured under thier managment like the game against Poland in 91 or Macedonia. I wonder if Gus Hiddink could be tempted ;)

Mike.

Doherty did make an impact. When Israel sat back well deep in their own half, what else is going to work effectively? Ya use a Target Man and in a crowd penalty area Doherty was winnign the balls that came to him. I rememeber seeing only Given in our half for spells in the second half. It is very hard to breakdown a team that has no interest in winning. Ya have to remember did fight back and fought back well, they didnt put their heads down after going 2 nil down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

you cant sack a manager half way through. He still useless though. He seems to think a draw against a bunch of clowns(israelis) is a good result. this tells it all to be honest.

We were lucky to get out of switzerland with a draw.

Dave O'leary is clearly the man for the job. If not a foreign one. I couldnt care less, just get someone who has some expereicen coaching adults.

you cant sack a manager half way through. He still useless though. He seems to think a draw against a bunch of clowns(israelis) is a good result. this tells it all to be honest.

We were lucky to get out of switzerland with a draw.

Dave O'leary is clearly the man for the job. If not a foreign one. I couldnt care less, just get someone who has some expereicen coaching adults.

Clowns who noone else has yet to beat, he won 2 league titles with adults.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He's out of his depth at this level. As I said in the other thread, hes an amatuer manager and an underage manager at best. His tactics are being shown up at this stage. What sort of manager decides 24 minutes into a game that it's won and rests on a lead that could have been sealed with another goal.

With the players he has, and with France playing so badly, we should be topping this group fairly handily. He's making as hard a job as possible of qualifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There is no need to sack Kerr. This is not the time for a change, and it is not needed. As for there being negative tactics, Mick McCarthy was great at sitting back on a lead, far better at it than Kerr, as some of our poor results under him proved.

Stekelly wrote:
    we should be topping this group fairly handily.

Maybe if we hadnt got too many **** players, but your right France playing so badly, Israel are crap really, so are the swiss, can see that in all their results.

And with all the ****ness noone in the top has won a game vs the top four, this WCQ is easy really.

kdjac

Flukey wrote:
    There is no need to sack Kerr. This is not the time for a change, and it is not needed. As for there being negative tactics, Mick McCarthy was great at sitting back on a lead, far better at it than Kerr, as some of our poor results under him proved.

I think McCarthy deservidly went. The only thing was that he seemed to put a serious dent in our qualifying chances , in pure spite, before he finally pissed off.

I dont think Kerr should be sacke now, the middle of a campaign is never a good time to chance managers. But if we don't qualify he should have the sense and good grace to walk away.

KdjaC wrote:
    Clowns who noone else has yet to beat, he won 2 league titles with adults.

kdjac

yea, and france are under huge pressure aswell. Like kerr should be and is. Are performances i nthe group havent been good enough, i really dont understand how anyone can think they have been.

McCarthy got us to the World up finals. Kerr hasnt yet, and isnt probaly heading to the playoffs at most. If he makes it grand, if not he should be sacked.

KdjaC wrote:
    Maybe if we hadnt got too many **** players, but your right France playing so badly, Israel are crap really, so are the swiss, can see that in all their results.

And with all the ****ness noone in the top has won a game vs the top four, this WCQ is easy really.

kdjac

France are playing crap, FACT. They have a team full of world stars who are vastly under-achieving. We should be head and shoulders above Isreal and Switzerland, therfore we should be topping the group. Theres really no need for petty, childish sarcasm rather than putting forward a valid reason why we're doing badly.

Altho you do deserve a prize for buck passing. Just because everyone else is playing badly and drawing is no excuse for us doing the same. The lead should'nt have been lost, end of. Tactics are to blame because we sat back and basicsally said "come on isreal", which is totally the wrong attitude. That may have worked for Kerr in the EL but this is a world above that.

Mc Carthy had 6 years to get us to the finals, our performances havent been good enough because we as a nation arent, we barely have 3 world class players in the our best 11.

Having crap players doesnt give you a right to get to the finals.

kdjac

Stekelly wrote:
    We should be

Why exactly should we be?

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Mc Carthy had 6 years to get us to the finals, our performances havent been good enough because we as a nation arent, we barely have 3 world class players in the our best 11.

Having crap players doesnt give you a right to get to the finals.

kdjac

oh and switzerland and israel have load and loads of world class players, hmmm we really are lucky to be equal on points with israel and 2 points behind switzerland since they have so many more world class players in their team...

Swiss have more , israel just play like a team and do what their manager tells them too seems to be working for them so far.

But our players try sit back soon as they score but i suppose thats the managers fault for not shouting at them loud enough.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Swiss have more , israel just play like a team and do what their manager tells them too seems to be working for them so far.

But our players try sit back soon as they score but i suppose thats the managers fault for not shouting at them loud enough.

kdjac

So what your saying is the players dont respect him? have no faith in him? If they dont I fail to see why we should.

He is telling them to sit on the lead. Its blaringly obvious by his tactics.We have a team of premiership players. They are 45 and 55 in the world for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

He failed to deliver against Switzerland in Euro 2004 and in the finals it was shown that they are a crap side.
    What can you do when your centerback lies down in front of goals and reaches out with his hand to punch the ball past his own goalie?

well in fairness.. its always hard to beat a team who just wants a draw.

I dont know what you are on about Balfa ?

This Israeli side have yet to play in basel.. It could be another draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I think Brian Kerr is a great manager and has a record of success since he started in the game. Brian Kerr knows Irish soccer inside out and he is the right man for the job.

I agreed with bringing on Doherty the other night and he created havoc in their penalty area. Lets home we can win in the Faroes.

b.t.w : David O'Leary has won nothing as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bringing on Doherty that early just meant we went back to the Charlton days, i.e. route 1 football, we were well capable of playing them off the park.

As for O'Leary, well I'm biased here as I'm a Villa fan, but he has experience of playing at the highest level internationally and also managing at the highest level in club football i.e. semi's of the Champions League.

I said before, clearly long ball tatics are not our forte. I dont know why we resort to them when we never play that way anyway. If you have Duff and Reid on the pitch then we should continue to use them. I would have only brought on doc in the last 10-15 minutes. I think kerr didnt have the bottle.

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:

As for O'Leary, well I'm biased here as I'm a Villa fan, but he has experience of playing at the highest level internationally and also managing at the highest level in club football i.e. semi's of the Champions League.

And what happened next? lost the dressing room as they say.

Kerr has lost the dressing room but only when Keane not on the pitch says a lot for our professional players who dont do what they are told by the manager unless Keane there to back him up.

3 players on sat night were told to go into certain positions and carry out a tactical order not one of them did, Kavanagh being the biggest culprit.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Kerr has lost the dressing room but only when Keane not on the pitch says a lot for our professional players who dont do what they are told by the manager unless Keane there to back him up.

Exactly, the players dont rate a man they dont feel is up to their standard. They see him as amateur. He has never manage at the highest level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

jesus christ

have we failed to qualify already? no and a new manager now could upset the whole lot

Stekelly wrote:
    Exactly, the players dont rate a man they dont feel is up to their standard. They see him as amateur. He has never manage at the highest level.

Highest level?

Like Charlton and Mc Carthy have? Only one player seems to listen to him oddly hes our only truly world class player.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Highest level?

Like Charlton and Mc Carthy have? Only one player seems to listen to him oddly hes our only truly world class player.

kdjac

Nicely put :)

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Highest level?

Like Charlton and Mc Carthy have?

Personally I think McCarthy is a waster and I hope Sunderland go straigh tback down because McCarthy is a firstDiv manager at best. It's sad really cos I used to like them under Reid.Charlton was a long ball merchant who would'nt know football if it bit him in the arse. But the major difference between he two of them and Kerr is that they were footballers and managers at the highest level (or at least professionally). Kerr wasnt a profesional anything.(well I can think of one or two things but I'll probably get banned for personal abuse)

**NOTE** by saying McCarthy was a footballer at the highest level I mean he played at the highest level(world cup etc) Im not implying he was a very good player. ****

KdjaC wrote:
    Only one player seems to listen to him oddly hes our only truly world class player.

Even Roy himself would disagree and say we have a couple of others.

Plus I also said that Kerr should not go anywhere till the end of the campaign at least. But if we don't qualify he shouuld be gracious enough to step down.

Kerr has won things other than hearts and minds.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Kerr has won things other than hearts and minds.

kdjac

My dad has a couple of black bags full of medals and trophies from all but the loi premier div, but I seriously doubt he'd feel up to playing international football.

Still he has won 2 league titles (which incidently is more than liverpools last 4 managers combined with over 300 million spent on playing staff, and Newcastles last 5, aston villas last 4 etc i could go on here.....)

Assuming because he has no Premiership exp (which is what your all hinting at ) makes him a bad manager nicely shows our respect for an irish man who has managed a team to the El title twice, and succesfully managed the youths at 3 levels.

Imo there is no better irish manager who could do a better job available.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Still he has won 2 league titles (which incidently is more than liverpools last 4 managers combined with over 300 million spent on playing staff, and Newcastles last 5, aston villas last 4 etc i could go on here.....)

Assuming because he has no Premiership exp (which is what your all hinting at ) makes him a bad manager nicely shows our respect for an irish man who has managed a team to the El title twice, and succesfully managed the youths at 3 levels.

kdjac

They are'nt even from a professional league. TBH its a bit like winning the Scottish league with Rangers or Celtic, you have to be really crap not to with certain teams.

Do you think being a teller in the local BOI qualifies you for a job as head of the european central bank?

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

your comparing the EL with the PL? priceless.

We are not saying hes a bad manager just because he doesnt have PL experience. If he was topping the group i he could of worked as a binman before being irish manager for all i care. But he isnt, so his history is going to ocme into play.

Sure you even said they players dont listen to him? how the hell can he be a decent manager if the players wont listen and respect him?

your comparing the EL with the PL? priceless.

No im comparing winning leagues with ehh winnning leagues, keane listens to him there does seem to be some that dont (oddly the ones from lower leagues mostly hitting 30, enlgish and playing in central midifield).

Is that the managers fault or the players? Every team he has managed has been succesful so far a succesful record as a manager and unless hes sacked tomorrow he will continue that form.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    No im comparing winning leagues with ehh winnning leagues,

You cant really compare two different levels like that. By your reasoning my mate deserves the Ireland job ( the team he manages wontheir league this season)
    KdjaC wrote:
    keane listens to him there

I'm not one to be synical but I actually reckon its a bit the other way round. Kerr knows Keane is a born leader and knows what hes at, and lets him get on with it. I have a feeling a lot of the organisation is down to Keane.

KdjaC wrote:
    No im comparing winning leagues with ehh winnning leagues, keane listens to him there does seem to be some that dont (oddly the ones from lower leagues mostly hitting 30, enlgish and playing in central midifield).

Is that the managers fault or the players? Every team he has managed has been succesful so far a succesful record as a manager and unless hes sacked tomorrow he will continue that form.

kdjac

how do you know keane listens to him and others dont anyway?

if a manager cant get his players to do what hes says its his fault. The reasons players dont do what a manager says is becasue they dont trust them, which is a major problem if thats the case.

Stekelly wrote:
    You cant really compare two different levels like that. By your reasoning my mate deserves the Ireland job ( the team he manages wontheir league this season)

Has your mate won 2 league titles, been picked by UEFA be a technical director, got every possible UEFA coaching badge, managed international youths and national side? if so get him in there.

Keane and Kerr have worked together before just before Keane went to Forest, Keane came back simply because the setup was a lot better than previous regimes obviously got his orange peeled for him at half time.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement