Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MAZDA MX5 insurance

Options
  • 05-06-2005 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i have an H reg MX5 and want to replace the heaven foresaken catalytic converter with a nice shiny steel pipe! does anyone know whether this should affect insurance premiums???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

i have an H reg MX5 and want to replace the heaven foresaken catalytic converter with a nice shiny steel pipe! does anyone know whether this should affect insurance premiums???

Probably. I would ask your insurance company.

It will definitely affect the ability of the car to pass the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Ernie Ball wrote:
    It will definitely affect the ability of the car to pass the NCT.

i.e. it won't but i expect you know that and are keeping the cat and refitting it for the NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

i.e. it won't but i expect you know that and are keeping the cat and refitting it for the NCT.

H Reg would make it 90/91? No legal requirement for a cat, fit a bypass pipe. My '93 passed with flying colours, and it's de-catted. Would have passed the emissions test for a 99 car (emissions tests are stricter the newer the car is)

Insurer will porbably bump a little extra on for de-catting, though.

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 politico613

i knew that i don't need to have a CAT but wasn't sure whether decatting classifies as "modifying" for insurance purposes!

thanks

will let you know what insurance co says

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

will let you know what insurance co says

the words modify and mx5 will probably stick 25% on to your premium, they dont hear what you modified on that you modified it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Nuttzz wrote:
    the words modify and mx5 will probably stick 25% on to your premium, they dont hear what you modified on that you modified it.

In all fairness, the insurance co.s are getting a bit better (never thought I'd say that!).

Modifying up to approx 200BHp is a standard "loading" of 30% for insurance purposes. There are, of course, companies that won't touch you with a bargepole. Some of them hear "modify" and think "bodge".

Checking through 123.ie recently, it now lists all the "special" editions (geneagles, etc.) so that would strongly suggest that there is now an insurance co. from the UK covering the '5 over here.

Best of luck with them anyway!

As a side note - figure in the cost of a catalytic converter when shopping for insurance - they aren't cheap!

Michael

Advertisement