Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this cheating/would i lose marks??

Options
  • 05-06-2005 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Just a question,if two people in the same exam centre,being graded by the same marker had exactly the same essay learned off for english,word for word an A1 answer, and its noticed by the marker is this cheating/will "those people" get in trouble/lose marks???

Just want to know peoples opinions cause im worried cause a few friends borrowed sum answers of mine n i think theyre learnin them off???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

Not sure to be honest. I doubt that you will all have each word the same anyway. I've heard of exams being withdrawn due to similarities in subjects, in this case it could apply.. I'm not sure. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

No it's not cheating at all. If it's something like the comparitive study then it's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

It's not cheating but, to be honest, you probably are going to lose marks. You're meant to have a personal response to each question and if several people have the same personal response it tends not to look too good.
    It'd be up to the marker's discretion but if a supervising marker sees that he/she has given high marks to people who had the exact same answer you could be in a bit of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

In the case of any suspected copying or cheating, the examiner has to make a report about it. The Supervising Examiner would then be sent the scripts in question, and would decide, possibly in consultation with the Chief Advising Examiner whether or not to take it further.

Three or four scripts from the same centre with one answer exactly the same would certainly arouse suspicion. It is unlikely though that any learned off answer will exactly match an examination question, and anything learned off will have to be adapted on the day, so presumably the answers while similar, will not be exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I think it no cheating, I mean you learn off Irish no? I learn off English for my junior cert (a group of us all learn same essay, none of us speak english them so school gave us short essay to learn), I write it down, well I pass and I know there 5 others write the same, word to word, and there no say we cheat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

To be fair, while the examiners might be a bit lenient at Junior Cert. level with students for whom English is a Second Language (and they will know) I think at Leaving Cert. they would be more strict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bek

wat kinda essay r u learning off, is it possible 2 learn off a story that will apply to nethn in english or irish??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Isn't this why they changed the CSPE course for junior cert cause every1 just wrote the same thing for their project. And even if you have copied from some1 else word for word on the day of the exam unless they actually catch you they have to give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Simi wrote:
    Isn't this why they changed the CSPE course for junior cert cause every1 just wrote the same thing for their project. And even if you have copied from some1 else word for word on the day of the exam unless they actually catch you they have to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I did the CSPE projects for six people in my class and we all got A's. Would I be correct in saying that there's a good chance that the two english papers may not be marked by the same person so I don't think it would be a problem and as someone else said you learn things off for irish so why not english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

Our Irish teacher gave our whole class essays to learn for everything and we can all drum them off word for word! i.e. Ruriocht we will all write the exact same thing! He corrects exams and wouldn't have told us to do this if it was going to be penalised!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I say it ok, exam about learning off material, why english different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Cherry_Pie wrote:
    Our Irish teacher gave our whole class essays to learn for everything and we can all drum them off word for word! i.e. Ruriocht we will all write the exact same thing! He corrects exams and wouldn't have told us to do this if it was going to be penalised!
    Maybe he doesn't penalise it but the supervising examiner might have a different view about many people writing off exactly the same thing for an answer.
    For Irish you could get away with it for the history or whatever (not sure about word for word but a generally similar essay would probably be ok) but for english a lot of the questions need a personal response

Advertisement