Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

science subject?

Options
  • 05-06-2005 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

any1 no the importance of doin a science subject, i cant find any info on compulsory subjects for university courses...... also do u have to cut up animals 4 biology?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

What uni?

You do need a Science course for a lot of courses, i.e the courses will state that you need "a minimum of 1 science subject."

For example, to do Mathematical Science in UCD, you a minimum of a B1 in Physics.

You do have to cut up things in Biology, which is why I didn't take the course (I'm a vegitarean. :( )

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I done biology for the leaving (still am) and the reason why I pick a science subject back in fifth year was to keep my options opened, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do in college after school, so if you keep a business subject and a science subject you keep your options opened.

*Edit* after doing biology for two years the only thing I can remember cutting was an onion to examine plant cells under the microscope

*Edit* after doing biology for two years the only thing I can remember cutting was an onion to examine plant cells under the microscope

My friends had to disect load of things like hearts ad lungs and stuff.

I guess it just depends on the school.

And don't forget, you can always ask to leave the room while they are disecting things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ohh well yeh, i forgot about the heart. in fact i better study that as it was a manditory experiment.

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    ohh well yeh, i forgot about the heart. in fact i better study that as it was a manditory experiment.

Lol! I guess that could be important! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

We disect heart of animal, I was excused from it beacuse my clotes were loose sleved, you can say I no want to and my school say it ok for me and for some other girls, they all wear uniform so they just not like and teacer say ok.

Doctor and pharmatist (drug person)and many medical person need chemistry no?

To be a doctor, chemistry isn't mandatory.

Hoorah! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

No! Oh, sorry, worng information! Sorry. Is it science subject then or is it just mix word?

You do need a Science subject, but it doesn't have to be Chemistry. It also depends on what college you go to of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

It's not only the requirements for a course that are important, for instance you could be studying to be a doctor and you'd be studying chemistry and biology in college anyway, so why not make your life easier.

And do it for yourself, I have always found science subjects interesting, so I would recommend choosing one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

To do Science in Trinity you need two HC3s in science subjects, but people always seem to forget that you can count Geography and higher Maths
    Obviously if you want to do something like Theoretical Physics you'd need Physics, if you want to do Pharmacy or Vetinary Science you need Chemistry, etc. The admissions requirements should be on the college websites

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Fishie wrote:
    , if you want to do Pharmacy you need Chemistry, admissions
    Not necessarily! For Pharmacy in RCSI all you need is a B1 in a H level science which can be maths if you want. I think most of the Leaving Cert people had chemistry this year but one of the graduates didn't and did fine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 value?

Does higher maths count as a science subject 4 most courses?

I don't think so.

A lot of courses ask for things like both a pass in HL Maths and a pass in a HL Science subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 value?

do u no of a site or anything where i cud find all the requirements nd stuff?

Here , or you could just look up the website of each university/college.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For example, to do Mathematical Science in UCD, you a minimum of a B1 in Physics.
    Not true. B1 in honours maths yes, but not physics.

Ah you're right. I forgot about that.

But you do need Physics for it, and there are a lot of other courses that need a Science subject too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You don't actually need the science subject to be physics. I know quite a few people in that course (3rd years now) who only did chemistry in the LC.
    *was a mathematical science student for 2 years...shudder*

• Advertisement

*was a mathematical science student for 2 years...shudder*

Oh my gentle Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Advertisement