Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Transfer Signings + Rumours

• 05-06-2005 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Van Der Saar has joined
    Fulham's Edwin van der Sar is all set to complete a move to Manchester United, skysports.com can confirm.

Speaking exclusively to skysports.com, van der Sar's agent Rob Jansen confirmed the transfer was almost done.

"The deal is done in principal," Jansen told skysports.com.

"It will be finalised in a week.

"Edwin is very happy, it is an honour for him to play for a club like United."

Van der Sar is set to sign a two-year deal at Old Trafford, once he has returned from international duty with Holland.

The 34-year-old won his 100th cap for the Oranje on Saturday as he helped his country to a 2-0 win over Romania.

Van der Sar will be in Finland on Wednesday before returning to England when he will complete the formalities of the deal.

Sir Alex Ferguson has moved quickly to land van der Sar, after Roy Carroll left the club last week.

The move represents the end of a long chase for Ferguson who first moved for van der Sar in 1999, but he was pipped to him by Juventus.

Ferguson has opted for van der Sar, ahead of the likes of Antti Niemi, Shay Given, Paul Robinson and Andreas Isaksson.

Tim Howard, who signed a new deal recently, will be number two to van der Sar next term - although Ferguson may yet add a third senior goalkeeper to his ranks over the summer.

I'm happy and sad.
    Means we will get money for a decent midfielder, but at the same time, temp solution.

Park is also very close to being signed apparently.

So we'll have a new keeper for about 3 mill and a new midfield for about 5 mil, leaving 12 mill to buy somebody to make us win.
    Confusing stuff :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i really hope we get park (reports of around 3million for him)

i think vdS is a good signing - I suppose they hope howard could still prove to be a viable long term number 1. Also, they signed that young german keeper (16) who is rated as the very best keeper in his age bracket in the world - 2/3 years time and he COULD POSSIBLY be challenging for the first team spot

Rooney, Ronaldo and Ruud on form next season and a good defensive midfielder (Diarra please) would see a succesful united side, or a least one capable of actaully challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

diarra? i hope youre taking the piss. gattuso is the man to rejuvenate the united midfield

why not - he has done a superb job in that role for Lyon. Gattuso wold be my first choice, and he has previously said he would love to play in the prem and for united (previous to the rumours surrounding the CL match this season) but i do not see Milan (a) selling him and (b) especially not for 15million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

van der saars a decent keeper but too old. he's the sort of keeper you'd buy in january if your main no.1 was out for the rest of the season.

he's cheap and a good quick fix but under 28 is the way to go. in 2/3 years time max, we will again be unsettling the defence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good keeper but a short term solution to a long term problem....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

VdS is a quality keeper but as said above, short term solution to a problem which started when Schmeichel left.

Gattuso is the man to replace Keane but its unlikely that he would leave Serie A, especially for the Premiership. To stay in the national team, you have to play in Serie A. There is a huge sense of national pride in Italy with regards their domestic leagues and Gattuso leaving especially to United would lead to some calls for his exclusion from the national squad if only from the hardcore supporters. I have alot of mates from Itlay for some reason and they really look down upon the Premiership.

Any ideas on a centre back that is available anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If you mean to replace Slyvestre?
    There is the better option of buying a full back and let Heinze into the CB position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I have alot of mates from Itlay for some reason and they really look down upon the Premiership.
    No surprises there :p

van de sar should be good for a few years.. not a great keeper but good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

van der sar is a great goalie, one of the best ever. ya dont play 90 times for your country if you arent a great player.

as has been said though, hes a short term solution now. hopefully in two years or so, howard will have developed back to show the form he did when first signed.

van der sar has big match experience too, which will be vital in european football. im sure Ferguson had that in mind. hes wanted van der sar for 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I was hoping United would get Van Der Sar.

As to the midfield situation, Gattuso said he would relish a chance to play with them before the Champions League game.

I would consider Essien as one of my choices, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

Means we will get money for a decent midfielder
    i really hope we get park
    in 2/3 years time max, we will again be unsettling the defence

I didn't know so many people posting here are English...amazing...

I find it funny you fixate so much on nationality.
    Stop living in your xenophobic past and embrace the future.

I hope you were born in Shelbourne, cause if not, you're a hypocrit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Tauren wrote:
    and a good defensive midfielder (Diarra please) would see a succesful united side, or a least one capable of actaully challenging.
    you better ask Mr. Benitez if he'd be willing to sell him then....somehow I DOUBT IT..!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

shelsfan wrote:
    I didn't know so many people posting here are English...amazing...

Well if you want to get picky you shouldnt be supporting any football team at all seeing as its all bread from the evil engish.You do realise that the GAA season is underway, so why dont you head off and be patriotic over on their forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Man Utd sign keeper Van der Sar

Manchester United have signed Dutch international goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar from Fulham for an undisclosed fee.
    The 34-year-old has agreed a two-year deal and will join the club on 1 July, providing he passes a medical.

United have been looking for a new goalkeeper after releasing Roy Carroll at the end of May.

Van der Sar, who has 95 international caps, moved to Fulham from Juventus for £5m in August 2001 and went on to make 153 appearances for the Cottagers.

He was linked with a move to United in January but agreed a contract extension with Fulham until summer 2006 instead.

The Dutchman is United's first signing since the club's takeover by Malcolm Glazer and he is likely to join the squad for July's tour of the Far East.

He will become the latest in a long line of keepers to have been tried by manager Sir Alex Ferguson since the loss of Peter Schmeichel in 1999.

Mark Bosnich, Massimo Taibi, Raimond van der Gouw, Fabien Barthez and Carroll have all come and gone while Ricardo's contract expires this summer.

United's other keeper, American Tim Howard, agreed a new contract until 2009 in May.

It is official i guess... Note the italics... maybe this is an end to the steady stream. I like this signing for ManU, me thinks it is a very smart move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Lex Luthor wrote:
    you better ask Mr. Benitez if he'd be willing to sell him then....somehow I DOUBT IT..!!!!!!!! :D

i presume its not the Diarra of Liverpool which United are supposedly after?

Theres about 5 diarras knocking around Framce and everytime the name is mentioned, everyone assumes its the Liverpool player. I highly doubt that its the Liverpool Diarra, mostly because he's muck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ianomccabe wrote:
    i presume its not the Diarra of Liverpool which United are supposedly after?

no its not.

You see when I hear good I don't think of Diarra :)

We've got 25 mill for transfer, imagine 3 is gone on Van Der Sar, imagine Park is bought for say 3 aswell due to his contract, we've got 19 million to spend on a Ronaldinho/Kaka/Scholes replacement.
    Sure we could do with a replacement for Keano, but that ain't goan happen.
    We havn't leaked goals this year, we havn't scored, thats the problem!
    We need a magic maker, and 19 mill will get us that.

First time in the whole world I've been impressed with Fergie in the transfer market, i guess having less money brings out the best in him.

After that I think we'd have a perfect squad.
    ---
    We have a rock solid back 4 imo, with great cover in Brown/O'Shea imo.
    But with Van Der Saar we'd have that extra bit of cover to add a bit of insurance.
    ---
    Middle of the park we will have
    Keano-Fletcher-Scholesy-Jones-New guy for 19 mill to be createful.
    We'd also have Smith who can play there
    ---
    Up front,
    Rooney-Van Nist-Ronaldo
    With Giggs/Park/Saha/Ole/Rossi challenging

I'll be incredibly happy if
    Van Der Saar is confirmed post-medical
    Park - 3 mill
    New Guy who is a AMC - 19 mill

My perfect transfer dealings would be complete if we
    Sold Slyvestre
    Sold Smith
    Used the funds to buy Sergio Ramos or some other mega cool left back, push Heinze into the CB, and then i'll have the perfect team

PHB wrote:

After that I think we'd have a perfect squad.
    ---
    We have a rock solid back 4 imo, with great cover in Brown/O'Shea imo.
    But with Van Der Saar we'd have that extra bit of cover to add a bit of insurance.

SOlid back four? WOuldnt be too sure. Mikeal is always guranteed at least one error a game, brown isnt much better.

PHB wrote:
    ---
    Middle of the park we will have
    Keano-Fletcher-Scholesy-Jones-New guy for 19 mill to be createful.
    We'd also have Smith who can play there

YOu need 2 midfielders, one to cover keane and scholes.

PHB wrote:
    Up front,
    Rooney-Van Nist-Ronaldo

OLe is gone, hes too old and injuried. PArk has djemba djemba written all over him. ROssi wasnt challenging last year so how do you figure he will this year? he'll be fifth choice or whatever, only needed if the rest are injuried.
    PHB wrote:
    I'll be incredibly happy if
    Van Der Saar is confirmed post-medical
    Park - 3 mill
    New Guy who is a AMC - 19 mill

My perfect transfer dealings would be complete if we
    Sold Slyvestre
    Sold Smith
    Used the funds to buy Sergio Ramos or some other mega cool left back, push Heinze into the CB, and then i'll have the perfect team

Ramos would go to liverpool if hes available. YOu finished 20 points behind chelsea, they are buying more plays then you, yet you think one good creative midfielder will fix the problems?

• Advertisement

SOlid back four? WOuldnt be too sure. Mikeal is always guranteed at least one error a game, brown isnt much better.

26 goals concedded this year, second best in the premiership.
    Arsenal are 10 behind
    Liverpool are 15 behind.

Gary Neville + Heinze are rock solid players
    Rio's brilliance is shown by his absence
    Slyvestre might make a mistake, but it doesn't lead to goals. He makes the big tackles when he needs to, and has been United's best defender for the last 4 years.
    YOu need 2 midfielders, one to cover keane and scholes.

I disagree.
    First off I forgot about Richardson who did a job this year for WBA in central midfield.
    Secondly, if we have 4 players, we will have an alternation of
    Keano-Scholes-Fletcher-New Guy
    Which is fine imo.

p.s. Watch Jones in the reserves, this guy is quality and Keano is actually personally training him, with a lot of effort. Captain of a quadruple reserve team.
    OLe is gone, hes too old and injuried. PArk has djemba djemba written all over him. ROssi wasnt challenging last year so how do you figure he will this year? he'll be fifth choice or whatever, only needed if the rest are injuried.

Ole is a legend,
    He isn't too old cause he started his career late and isn't as worn as other premiership players.
    He also isnt injured anymore.
    Best natural finisher in the game imo, and scores key goals in the last 10 mins. Super sub is what United have missed this year the most.

How exactly does Park have Djemba Djemba written all over him? Some sort of Tattoo?
    Did you watch him vs. Milan? You seen him in the CL at all this year, he has got a spark.

Rossi wasn't challenging last season, why would he this season? It might be cause of his incredible record in the reserves this year. It might be cause Bellion and Smith/Saha will be shipped out and it will give him a place, but most importantly its because he has an incredible talent.

Ramos will go to Liverpool if availble. I heard this rumour too, but with nothing to back it up. And even if Liverpool wanted him, where are they gona get 15 mill to spend on one player? Especially after Traore has just renewed his contract.
    YOu finished 20 points behind chelsea, they are buying more plays then you, yet you think one good creative midfielder will fix the problems?

No.
    I think one good creative midfielder + Park + Van Der Saar will certainly help.
    Then the return of Ole + Richardson + Van Nist(who has played very little this year) will help
    Then the emergence of Rossi + Jones + Eagles(although I doubt next year) will help
    Then the possible purchase of Ramos/left back will definally help
    As I said already :) Were you reading it :P

what PHB said - although i thin Jones is still at least a year away, he has the ability but lacks the strength. Rossi is certain to play a role next season, not a major one - but he will play in all League Cup games, the easier FA Cup ties, some CL time and a few prem games. I reckon he'll have around 15 appearences byt he end of the season.

Also, add Pique and Spector to the defense list - they are excellent prospects. whether they are good enough to be first choice i'm not sure, but they WILL be superstars within a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

PHB wrote:

Ramos will go to Liverpool if availble. I heard this rumour too, but with nothing to back it up. And even if Liverpool wanted him, where are they gona get 15 mill to spend on one player? Especially after Traore has just renewed his contract.

Where are united going to get 15mill for one player, i thought 20 was the budget, id imagine liverpool will spend more than united this summer, we need to :D

PHB wrote:
    26 goals concedded this year, second best in the premiership.
    Arsenal are 10 behind
    Liverpool are 15 behind.

Gary Neville + Heinze are rock solid players
    Rio's brilliance is shown by his absence
    Slyvestre might make a mistake, but it doesn't lead to goals. He makes the big tackles when he needs to, and has been United's best defender for the last 4 years.

still 10 behind chelsea, if your happy with battling for second thats grand, the additions you mentioned will be good enough for that, not first though. YOu need another quality CB like chelsea. Even ARsenals defense will be strong next year and liverpools.

PHB wrote:
    I disagree.
    First off I forgot about Richardson who did a job this year for WBA in central midfield.
    Secondly, if we have 4 players, we will have an alternation of
    Keano-Scholes-Fletcher-New Guy
    Which is fine imo.

p.s. Watch Jones in the reserves, this guy is quality and Keano is actually personally training him, with a lot of effort. Captain of a quadruple reserve team..

He did a job for a team battling for relegation, not for a team that wants to win the title. He will be a back up for injuries and Carling cup games. Jones in reserves? that says it all. Again i would be amazed if he makes the step up from reseveres to be an adequate replacement for keane in one season.

PHB wrote:
    Ole is a legend,
    He isn't too old cause he started his career late and isn't as worn as other premiership players.
    He also isnt injured anymore.
    Best natural finisher in the game imo, and scores key goals in the last 10 mins. Super sub is what United have missed this year the most.

How exactly does Park have Djemba Djemba written all over him? Some sort of Tattoo?
    Did you watch him vs. Milan? You seen him in the CL at all this year, he has got a spark.

We will see next season, he scored key goals, and was the best finisher. Hes been out a long long time, and at his age it will be tough. I saw him against milan, good performance. Hes being sold for what 3million? now unless PSV are idiots and just enjoy selling world class players very cheap i cant see him being good enough to be a regular. A spark ey? I am sure chelsea are wetting themselves over that "spark" of his!

PHB wrote:
    Rossi wasn't challenging last season, why would he this season? It might be cause of his incredible record in the reserves this year. It might be cause Bellion and Smith/Saha will be shipped out and it will give him a place, but most importantly its because he has an incredible talent.

If he was good enough last season, he would of moved ahead of bellion, smith and saha. EVen with all the injuries he couldnt break into the team. Again icant see him making a huge difference.

PHB wrote:

No.
    I think one good creative midfielder + Park + Van Der Saar will certainly help.
    Then the return of Ole + Richardson + Van Nist(who has played very little this year) will help
    Then the emergence of Rossi + Jones + Eagles(although I doubt next year) will help
    Then the possible purchase of Ramos/left back will definally help
    As I said already :) Were you reading it :P

What do you have to back up the fact Ramos will go to united? :confused:

If liverpool want ramos, they will get him. He will choose liverpool over united. They can easily get the 15 mil for him. They hardly renewed his contract for a starting place, my money is on him as a squad plaer.

PHB wrote:
    p.s. Watch Jones in the reserves, this guy is quality and Keano is actually personally training him, with a lot of effort. Captain of a quadruple reserve team.

Liam Miller anyone?

PHB wrote:

In fairness, Mellor was doing similar in the Liverpool reserves, hes out the door now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

Only joking PHB! It wasn't meant to be taken very seriously! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Again this amazing "optimisim" from UTD fans is impresive.

UTD need MAJOR surgery in midfield and one new player wont do it.
    I could go on but I wont...

Stekelly wrote:
    Liam Miller anyone?

In fairness, Mellor was doing similar in the Liverpool reserves, hes out the door now.
    first off - what has liam miller got to do with it? he was crap for the reserves, Jones was the reserves best player and most influencial player. Rossi got the plaudits for his SUPERB technique, dribbling, balance and shooting, but jones was the man.

So what if mellor was doing the same - he is not rossi. Every player has to start somewhere, they don't just start out as first team super stars and United generally do not throw 16/17 year olds into the first team during their first year in a new country without ANY professional football experience.

Tauren wrote:
    first off - what has liam miller got to do with it? he was crap for the reserves, Jones was the reserves best player and most influencial player. Rossi got the plaudits for his SUPERB technique, dribbling, balance and shooting, but jones was the man.

So what if mellor was doing the same - he is not rossi. Every player has to start somewhere, they don't just start out as first team super stars and United generally do not throw 16/17 year olds into the first team during their first year in a new country without ANY professional football experience.

The reason I mentioned Miller was that hes was the great hope, recommended by Keane as a replacement for himself, he was going under his wing etc etc. Now look at him.

I mentioned Mellor because he was doing the same. Pinning all your hopes on an unproven youth player is not a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Van der Saar is a great keeper and will be for united over the next two years. I think ferguson signed him with the intention of replacing him in two years with a more experienced Howard.

As for our midfeild, I think Diarra definately has the potential to be a great replacement for Keane but it's too early to tell if he will be that good.

Park would be a great signing for that money and along with Van der Saar, Diarra and possibly a good centeral defender(King's my choice but is too expensive but Upson could be available) just to strenghten the defence, it would be a good summer for united. :D

Stekelly wrote:
    The reason I mentioned Miller was that hes was the great hope, recommended by Keane as a replacement for himself, he was going under his wing etc etc. Now look at him.

I mentioned Mellor because he was doing the same. Pinning all your hopes on an unproven youth player is not a good idea.
    not pinning all my hopes on Rossi, but having seen him play a few times and having chatted to people who go to the reserve games and havea good relationship with people at the club - Rossi is expected to be very very very good. he may not become world class (i think he will) but he WILL without doubt be a very good player. i don't think United are going to be saved by Jones and Rossi - but i do think these two players could play a major part in uniteds future, although Jones is more of a wait-and-see then Rossi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

PHB wrote:
    Up front,
    Rooney-Van Nist-Ronaldo
    You left out Smith...

Cianan2 wrote:
    You left out Smith...
    much like fergie!

Where are united going to get 15mill for one player, i thought 20 was the budget, id imagine liverpool will spend more than united this summer, we need to

Budget is 25 mill

Van Der Sar - 3
    Park - 3
    New Midfielder - 20

Sell:
    Smith - 5(low balled mark)
    Kleberson - 3(for Benfica or somethign)
    Phil Neville - 1.5(Wigan I think was the link)

That would leave us with 8.5 left over
    To fund a move for Ramos/left back would be involved in the selling of SLyvestre who would net at least 5 million, and I'd think much more.
    Either way, it would fund the move.

---

Well you see that was totally speculation, made mostly by Irish people. Ask most non-Irish Man Utd fans what they thought of Miller when he joined, they were like, wtf, Celtic are ****.

Where is anyone pinning all their hopes? All we said is that perhaps he might make an small impact next season
    Again this amazing "optimisim" from UTD fans is impresive.

UTD need MAJOR surgery in midfield and one new player wont do it.
    I could go on but I wont...

Of course not, that would lead to some sort of logic instead of quick remarks.
    Optimism? Yeh, I'm a united fan, I expect to win every year :)

How many players will do?
    Two?
    Three?
    Six?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I think Man. United need a top midfielder. Patrick Viera would be the one I would go for. Sin e. They are excellent in every other area.

Maybe Fergie could swallow his pride and get Becks back.

• Advertisement

You need to make up your mind. Do they need a top midfielder or do they need Beckham?

I think Man. United need a top midfielder. Patrick Viera would be the one I would go for. Sin e. They are excellent in every other area.

getting becks back would not sort out the midfield. We need a DM to fully take Keane's place, we need a DM that does not need his hand held in the big games. Gattuso would be perfect, Lyon's Diarra is a player that looks very very good but is still unproven imo and would be yet another gamble. At this point, i'd take Carrick.

Stekelly wrote:
    You need to make up your mind. Do they need a top midfielder or do they need Beckham?
    :D LMAO :D

Manchester United have completed the signing of Edwin Van dar Sar, 33, yesterday
    The 34-year-old won his 100th cap for the Oranje on Saturday as he helped his country to a 2-0 win over Romania.
    Manager Sir Alex Ferguson's deal for Fulham's 35-year-old Holland international is the culmination of a transfer pursuit that started six years ago

lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

• Advertisement

looks likely Valencia will get him. Who is he? i have never seen him play - anyone have an opinion on him? With Ruud, Saha, Rooney, Smith, Solskjaer and Rossi all able to play up front next season - why the hell are we being linked with forwards? A DM and a CB are what we need, not a striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

You can have 25 strikers but if they arent getting goals, or enough goals why would we stick with them. united have always worked on the philosophy of get one more then them..this season we drew too many and couldnt get goals when we really needed them, likes of bellion smith and saha will be sacrificed, bring some one fresh in.

Bellion can go where he likes, i read villa were interested in smith, id imagine there would be a few takers if saha was on offer....doubt they will all be at united next year id imagine 2 will be sold.

With regard strikers, I say cash in on Bellion and Saha, cut the wage bill a little bit there. Keep a hold of Smith - as I would prefer my team to lose and show some passion than be like Rio Ferdinand and lose without giving a sh1t.

I think Ferdinand needs to be shown the door, make the back 4 Nev, Silvestre, (new signing), Heinze.

One CB and on Mid is what I think we need to be competitive again. I know Chelsea were way ahead this year but I think this was an exceptional season for them and while I fully expect them to be the favourites again next year, I think United will be alot closer and Arsenal will perhaps fall back further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I believe that at the moment, Chelsea will win it again with Arsenal coming in second and United and Liverpool fighting for 3rd place.

Chelsea 4/5, Arsenal 5/2, Man Utd 10/3, Liverpool 20/1

I think if united let ferdinhand go they will be even further up shi creek. they wont get what the paid for him back, they wont have the money needed to replace him. He gives so much confidence to the other backs around him, brown has come on leaps and bounds playing along side him. silvestre is no way nearly good enough for united first team. Brown is a better player, if brown can sort out is tackling from left side he can sure up that back 4. Heinze isnt a great defender but he is a good full back. Gary neville is one of the most consistent players ive seen, quality. Look forward to seeing Pique break through next few seasons, think himself and rio would have a good partnership,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

smemon wrote:
    van der saars a decent keeper but too old. he's the sort of keeper you'd buy in january if your main no.1 was out for the rest of the season.

he's cheap and a good quick fix but under 28 is the way to go. in 2/3 years time max, we will again be unsettling the defence.

i totally agree quality keeper just too old

could he be another back up goalie?

I think Ferdinand needs to be shown the door, make the back 4 Nev, Silvestre, (new signing), Heinze.

QUOTE]Silvestre show him the door instead of Ferdinand

Nah he will be the first choice, think howard is acctually good enough to be the first choice he just got a major knock to the confidence when united started leaking goals when ferdinhand was suspended, i think if he gets a long run in the team he would be grand.

I prefer Silvestre in my back 4 rather than that Ferdinand. 8 months sitting on the bench getting paid then he demands to break the clubs wage structure after showing erratic form in the time he did actually spend on the pitch (not the time he spends getting parking tickets, appearing on MTV, stalling on cotratc talks rtc. :D ).

Silvestre may be as erratic as Ferdinand and is almost certainly less naturally talented than Ferdi but he actually puts in some effort imo.

Stekelly wrote:
    i personaly taught beckham was crap but he set up so many goals for RVN and amount of shirts he sold, would benefit united profit wise

• Advertisement
Advertisement