Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Transfer Signings + Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Van Nist is missing nothing, and even last season, he was top scorer in the ****ing CL, so stop being silly and get behind the best player we have.
    He was top scorer in the CL because he bagged a shocking amount of goals (7/9) against two notorious bad travellers at OT. That is no achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ok, cause Henry is top scorer in the PL because he scored all his goals against MAn United and CHelsea?
    Nope, that'd be silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

PHB wrote:
    I think in the last year at Man United, Beckham had four assists in total.
    Van Nist is missing nothing, and even last season, he was top scorer in the ****ing CL, so stop being silly and get behind the best player we have.

Beckham had nine assists in his final year at United. Six goals too.. But to say that he is being missed is madness... :)

There ya go, nine assists. Van Nist isn't missing anything, he was just injured for most of last season.
    Couldn't remember the real number I remember it was low.
    Ronaldo had 9 goals and 7 assists(although this number varies from 4 to 11 so i'm somewhat confused about that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im delighted with Ronaldo i love the player he's brilliant but if he could get his crosses right then omg

What do the lads think of Smith playing holding midfielder against hong kong team

taught he played good enough

would like to see against a better team though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

If Dong cant play in the PL, does that mean he can still play in the reserves or will he go back to Antwerp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

PHB wrote:
    There ya go, nine assists. Van Nist isn't missing anything, he was just injured for most of last season.
    Couldn't remember the real number I remember it was low.
    Ronaldo had 9 goals and 7 assists(although this number varies from 4 to 11 so i'm somewhat confused about that)

Thought that ronaldo only had 5 goals and 4 assists. Must be the PL stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

so he did but i can't help thinking after that shot he missed when Rooney chiped the ball over the defender and Van missed a clear shot ,its going to be chelsea's title again

3 clear chances Van missed maybe just 2 clear chances but the Van i knew when Beckham was there would have finished them off

for a striker of his quality he should have finished it off

maybe its just pre season nerves

lack of match fitness

You can see the headlines now - "Barcelona set to sell Ronaldinho after bad miss in meaningless friendly" or "Henry fluffs a chance vs Barnet - sell him quick"

FFS - this is the greatesh heap of sh!te ever written - get real.

TheMonster wrote:
    You can see the headlines now - "Barcelona set to sell Ronaldinho after bad miss in meaningless friendly" or "Henry fluffs a chance vs Barnet - sell him quick"

FFS - this is the greatesh heap of sh!te ever written - get real.
    FFS
    blah blah blah

thats bit over the top i think i have a right to air my views,its a free world after all,who are you to choice whats sh'ite or not,so FFS get real your self

we'll see how van goes this season ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Whats over the top is saying its chelsea's title again after van missed in a friendly, never mind he's scored about 5 so far, hilarious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm getting fed up of people saying van will never be the same cause beckham is gone - stop ignoring the fact beckham assisted just 3 goals for ruud in becks last season with us.

i admit iv been over the top about chelsea winning the PL this coming season

united arent going to sign any one for midfield

just want to see a big midfield signing

i bet ya fergie will stick with Smith

I hope for smith he can do a good job but can't see it

same with Park/but to be fair he needs time to settle in

but a lest we have great youngster coming up the Ranks

what do people think of pique ..looks to be good,like to see more of him

I'm sure we will see a lot of Pique, Rossi, Ebanks-Blake and Foster in the Carling Cup although I can see Rossi making a few League apperences too.

I'm sure Rossi will make a few apparences.
    Smith is now a midfielder in Fergie's eyes, a death kiss to his United career in a sense :)

But that leaves for the front 3 spots.

Van Nist
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Giggs
    Saha
    Rossi
    Richardson

I think in that order, as Richardson is much more a midfielder.
    Until Ole gets back in October, I can see Rossi getting a chance to impress, lets hope he does.

Forgot about Ole tbh. Would like to see him have at least one more good season before he hangs up his boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    I'm sure Rossi will make a few apparences.
    Smith is now a midfielder in Fergie's eyes, a death kiss to his United career in a sense :)

But that leaves for the front 3 spots.

Van Nist
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Giggs
    Saha
    Rossi
    Richardson

I think in that order, as Richardson is much more a midfielder.
    Until Ole gets back in October, I can see Rossi getting a chance to impress, lets hope he does.
    You forgot about Park, and Smith (despite your claims that he is now a midfielder).

Ah yes Park, easy to forget.
    However his work rate I think will push him back to midfield utility area anyway.

Smith is never going to be anywhere near a first choice striker for Man Utd.
    Hence why he is being pushed back to midfield in the endless search to replace Keano.
    I think Rossi will get his chance to shine, and hopefully he'll take it.
    RoRoRo attack line in 3 years is what I'd like to see.
    Rooney-Rossi-Ronaldo.

PHB wrote:
    However his work rate I think will push him back to midfield utility area anyway.

Hence why he is being pushed back to midfield in the endless search to replace Keano.
    Rooney-Rossi-Ronaldo.
    the unstopable 3 R's

Richardson i hope get a chance this season and Smith is only a good sub thats all

Richardson deserves a chance after he helped West Brom change the PL rules(bottom at Christmas, automatic relegation. Not exactly a rule but..) and let us not forget his amazing England debut.

I think Park should stay back in midfield as PHB said. I wouldn't mind seeing Smith in the Midfield just as long as he performs then I don't see any problem whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

PHB wrote:

Rooney-Rossi-Ronaldo.
    I think Ruud will still be there scoring for fun in 3 years. But yeah, that looks like one hell of a line-up.

Looking for a Keane replacement, I think Smith is worth a shot. He's got that same firey character, and I believe he has enough talent to adapt to the role. I think we'll see plenty of him this season in the centre of the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Chelsea will win the league, arsenal will come second and i believe we will be in a scrap for 3rd with liverpool. United's squad is simply not good enough. i believe with one top quality midfield signing we could and would be up there, but midfield is too important an area to be relying an a past-his-best keane, a Scholes out of form and position, a fletcher out of his depth, a giggs without any consistency and a Smith without the mental ability to play as a DM. our midfield is a joke.

United at absolute worst will do the same they did this year, at absolute worst, in which case we will easily be third place no matter what.

Our midfield is not a joke.
    Keano whenever he plays is still a top quality player and controls the midfield without issue.
    Fletcher, despite it being so fashionable to take a shot at him, is a quality work-horse, and I honastly think this will be his year to make an impact.
    Scholes is not what he used to be. However he is still only 30 so his legs are still there, but for a good 4 month period in the middle of last season he was at his best, and I think he can achieve that again this year. Also he isn't out of position at all, he is playing AMC, his exact position.

Then you have Jones/Smith as backup for Keane, with Jones I think definally making an impact next year, and Smith being as useful squad player.
    Then you have Kleberson who I still feel is a good player who will make his worth show, especially next year when workign for the WC spot.
    I would of course like another signing in midfield, but I don't think if we don't get it, we won't win the PL.

Our defense is ****ing rock solid, as good as Chelsea's now that we have VDS imo. That extra confidence will make all the difference, with Keano protecting the front.

As we showed in the FA Cup final, we can create a lot of chances, and Van Nist will be there to slot them home this year. Also a fit Saha will knock in 10 more at least a season. Then we have Ole to get 5 or 6 in the last couple of minutes of matches like he always does.
    Ronaldo-Ruud-Rooney - 1st Choice attack
    Park-Saha-Giggs - Second choice attack

That's two top quality line ups, and the rotation of them all will be no issue if you ask me.

p.s.

Wheres the optimism, wheres the faith?

p.p.s.

Ruud has said he will definally stay at United for 2 more years, but doesn't want to be at United when he is past his peak, so he might sign a one year extension, but two will be pushing it for a striker. He will be 30 after the end of two seasons, and he wants to play for PSV after United, so we might get him for three years, but defo not four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

PHB wrote:
    United at absolute worst will do the same they did this year, at absolute worst, in which case we will easily be third place no matter what.

Our midfield is not a joke.
    Keano whenever he plays is still a top quality player and controls the midfield without issue.
    Fletcher, despite it being so fashionable to take a shot at him, is a quality work-horse, and I honastly think this will be his year to make an impact.
    Scholes is not what he used to be. However he is still only 30 so his legs are still there, but for a good 4 month period in the middle of last season he was at his best, and I think he can achieve that again this year. Also he isn't out of position at all, he is playing AMC, his exact position.

Then you have Jones/Smith as backup for Keane, with Jones I think definally making an impact next year, and Smith being as useful squad player.
    Then you have Kleberson who I still feel is a good player who will make his worth show, especially next year when workign for the WC spot.
    I would of course like another signing in midfield, but I don't think if we don't get it, we won't win the PL.

Our defense is ****ing rock solid, as good as Chelsea's now that we have VDS imo. That extra confidence will make all the difference, with Keano protecting the front.

As we showed in the FA Cup final, we can create a lot of chances, and Van Nist will be there to slot them home this year. Also a fit Saha will knock in 10 more at least a season. Then we have Ole to get 5 or 6 in the last couple of minutes of matches like he always does.
    Ronaldo-Ruud-Rooney - 1st Choice attack
    Park-Saha-Giggs - Second choice attack

That's two top quality line ups, and the rotation of them all will be no issue if you ask me.

p.s.

Wheres the optimism, wheres the faith?

p.p.s.

Ruud has said he will definally stay at United for 2 more years, but doesn't want to be at United when he is past his peak, so he might sign a one year extension, but two will be pushing it for a striker. He will be 30 after the end of two seasons, and he wants to play for PSV after United, so we might get him for three years, but defo not four.

Can't disagree with most of what you say in theory, but biggest problem at United now, is they are not a team anymore.
    They lack hunger, and have listening to the same voice for 20 years, new ideas required.

In my (neutral opinion) United are clearly #3 now in the pecking order.

Just to elaborate a little.

Player for player as it would appear on a team sheet, I think there are only 3 United players I would have ahead of their Chelsea counterparts.

Keane, Heinze and Van Nistelrooy.

Crespo might change my mind on the last one as well, but going on proven premiership form I give Van the nod.
    Keane's time is limited.

In a nutshell really.

Liek I don't know, an Assistant manager who runs training and tactics mostly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Culchie wrote:
    Can't disagree with most of what you say in theory, but biggest problem at United now, is they are not a team anymore.
    They lack hunger, and have listening to the same voice for 20 years, new ideas required.

Who has been listening to the same voice for twenty Years, can't be the players some of them were not born 20 years ago. United were 3rd best team last year. They have strengthened in the closed season while others have been weakened. I'm confident United will mount a serious challenge on the league this year.THey do appear to be having some internal problems that are worrying but to say they "lack hunger" and "they are not a team any more" is exagerating the situation.

New Ideas. Who do you suggest could supply these new Idea's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Culchie wrote:

Im afraid i disagree with you there Culchie.

United are very hungry for success this season, all the players are saying they are focusing on a great start to the PL. They came back to pre-season training a week earlier and alot of players are being tried and tested in the friendlies. All positive signs coming out of the United camp. imo they will be in the top two this season, Arsenal will be weaker this season especially now Viera is gone. If we can keep our key players fit we will be right up there this season.

Also the lack of optimism from some of the United fans in this thread troubles me. :(

United have been under a bit of controversy in the last couple of years. The Ferdinand missed drugs test, the court case of Magnier and McManus, and the latest one being the takeover.

I'm a neutral, so I'm calling it as i see it, so I am being objective, whether we agree or not.

It is undisputable that without Keane on the pitch, they are proven to be a far easier team to play.
    Now, whilst we all admire Keane, it is incredible to think that a club like Man Utd totally depends on the fitness of one man..... Incredible, but also terrible.

There is no other leadership or galvanising characters in the team. I think Fletcher is going to mature into a great bit of stuff.

Rio, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Fortune, Brown, Giggs, Saha .... all seem to 'float' around the place with an incredible lack of focus and determination unless Keano is on their ass.

Mourinho has Chelsea working like ants. Teamwork and system, if one players gets injured, no proble, another slots in (They were without Robben, Duff, Bridge) for major chunks of last season .....didn't knock them off track at all.

Regarding new ideas, and a new voice ...it's more of a training philosophy. Nothing new coming through, means that their opponent, especially good coaches (as proven in Europe) can quite easily analyse and counteract Uniteds pretty predictable play.

A new manager, with new ideas and new coaching staff would freshen up United. Ferguson did a great job, he time has passed though.

• Advertisement

I just don't understand this new ideas thing.
    Last year United changed their formation totally to a 4-3-3, totally new system

It's not as simple as putting it into a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 formation solution.

I'm talking about their football style, their teamwork, their attitude, their lifestyles (!), their tactics, their food, their management.

Things go stale, United is stale.

They might finish second this year, big deal, so they should, it is a league of 3 teams regarding the championship.
    Where United stand right now is measured against their European counterparts the last 3/4 seasons, this seems to be conveniently forgotten about by United diehards.

They have been outplayed and tactically neutralised quite easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

In the coming season it's gonna be vital that United maintain their pre-season hunger in games with mid to lower league teams. That's where we lost ground last year.They were all hyped up for the big games last year but we dropped too many points against supposed lesser teams.

Chelsea were how many points ahead last season at Xmas ? 10/11 ?

I'd love to see us battle it out with them head-to-head all through the season. As already said Arsenal will miss Paddy Viera. Pressure will be on the young shoulders of Fabregas.

Another twist in the Ballack tale, Real Madrid have joined the race to sign him:
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/july/spanishnews250705.html
    Real Madrid are moving for Bayern Munich midfielder Michael Ballack.

Once the protracted transfer of Santos winger Robinho is complete, Real president Florentino Perez has told coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo he will meet his request for a new, left-sided midfielder - and Ballack is top of his shopping list.

The Germany international has only a year left on his Bayern contract and is also a target for Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Marca says Real chiefs have already spoken with Ballack's representatives about a move to Madrid and have been encouraged by the player's response. Bayern want £16 million for Ballack, but Real won't go higher than £7 million for a player inside the final year of his contract.

Sky were reporting this earlier as well. If nothing else, it shows that Bayern are quite willing to sell him.

Bet it won't be long until Chelsea give up on Essien and decide to join the race and Ballack will say that it's been his dream to play for Chelsea(one word, Money) :rolleyes:

are Man utd even in for Ballack

• Advertisement

They're interested afaik.

i just want ballack in a Man utd shirt

ill stop moaning then but for now i'll continue to moan :)
    i want a big signing

are Man utd even in for Ballack
    That's a pretty good question too, to the public eye, we don't have much to go on besides newspaper speculation--no bids, and no confirmation from anyone that they are in for him. But I think it's understood that Ballack representitives are in Asia to hold possible talks while United are on their tour.
    It's looking less likely now, but hopefully something will happen.

ill stop moaning then but for now i'll continue to moan
    i want a big signing

I want a good signing. I couldn't care less about rep or money, I just want a decent midfielder signed, and I'm not 100% sure Ballack is that. He is only a temporary solution in a squad that is set for the future in all areas but midfield. Either way we'll see soon, the CL deadline is on friday if I'm not mistaken. Then we can all start predicting cause most transfer will be done by then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Whatever happened to the impending move for that argentinian DM Mascherano? He seemed to me to be what they actually need, they've plenty of influence going forward, but they need to address that holding area..imo

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    I want a good signing. I couldn't care less about rep or money, I just want a decent midfielder signed, and I'm not 100% sure Ballack is that. He is only a temporary solution in a squad that is set for the future in all areas but midfield. Either way we'll see soon, the CL deadline is on friday if I'm not mistaken. Then we can all start predicting cause most transfer will be done by then :)

Me too and I'm not sure Ballack is the player either. His dealing with Bayern are very similar to Rio's at United . Do we need that? IMO no, what we need is someone totally commited to the club.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asphlid=294252&cpid=22&CLID=1&lid=&title=Bayern+warn+Ballack&channel=football_home
    Michael Ballack's reluctance to compromise on the terms of his new contract with Bayern Munich could pave the way to a summer move.

Ballack has been linked with the likes of Manchester United and Real Madrid this summer, with just a year left on his current deal.

Although the player has insisted that he is happy to stay with the German giants, his failure to agree terms on a new contract have perturbed manager Uli Hoeness.

"It can always come to the point where we have to say 'no'," said Hoeness.

The suggestion, clearly aimed at prompting the player to shape up, will nevertheless rekindle rumours of a move away.

Premiership side Manchester United have been suggested as a likely destination - but they may also baulk at wage demands rumoured to be in the realm of £6.9 million a year plus add-ons.

Real remain an option, although claims that they have already agreed a deal with the player have been thrown out by the player's agent Michael Becker.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Whatever happened to the impending move for that argentinian DM Mascherano? He seemed to me to be what they actually need, they've plenty of influence going forward, but they need to address that holding area..imo
    He moved to Brazilian side Corinthians (sp?)

Fergie rejects Neville and Kleberson bids
    Actually that article doesn't talk about Kleberson but Sky were reporting it earlier.

Something that annoyed me about that article though:
    Meanwhile, the United boss has backed Ruud van Nistelrooy after another disappointing show in front of goal from the Dutchman.

Yeah, he scored 5 goals in his first two pre-season games, both of which he only played 45 minutes, talk about washed up :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Think United should've definetly sold Kleberson while they had the chance.He wont be going anywhere with them IMO,surplus to requirements id say.

One thing I will say, where were we for Davids :confused: I know he hasn't been on top form in the last season or so, but he is a proven quality player.

One thing I will say, where were we for Davids :confused: I know he hasn't been on top form in the last season or so, but he is a proven quality player.
    dam right

man utd arent going for anybody :mad:

i wonder is phil Neville going to say or go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Fergie said he wanted an experienced midfielder,not necessarily an older one. Davids would have been too short term a solution. I think he is past his best and doubt he would improve our midfield much, at best Spurs will get 1 season out of him.

He's as old as Keano. We need a young player in the keane/davids mould .

dam right

man utd arent going for anybody :mad:

i wonder is phil Neville going to say or go

Davids is 32, only a couple of years younger than Keane.

I'd like to see Phil Neville stay. I think he is underrated and a really good player for Man Utd to have. What if Utd were to sell him and Gary gets a long term injury. Who will replace him? Brown is injury prone, Spector is on loan. Who else is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I agree Phil is so underated yet such a good player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement