Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Transfer Signings + Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

PHB wrote:
    PLC, publically listed company, the dealings and tranactions of the club had to be reported.
    This is no longer the case, but it was before so, and anyone who had a decent share could see the fiscal reports and accounts.

Ha, ha yeah that includes the individual wages of players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Looks like poor Saha is set to miss the start of the season with a knee operation, hopefully it'll heal for good this time.
    Louis Saha's stop-start career at Manchester United has come to an abrupt halt again.

The French striker will be sidelined "for a number of weeks" after undergoing knee surgery on Thursday.

Saha played only last week against Urawa Red Diamonds but was then ruled out of the friendlies against Wrexham and Antwerp as his problems became apparent.

A club spokeswoman told ManUtd.com: "Louis Saha yesterday had arthroscopic surgery for damage to the medial meniscus in his right knee. Louis will be out for a number of weeks."

Saha has been plagued by injuries since joining from Fulham in January 2004 and made just 21 starts.

United still have strength in depth up front with the likes of Ruud van Nistelrooy, Wayne Rooney and Alan Smith around and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer close to a return to full fitness.

However Saha's absence will only increase the speculation that Michael Owen might now become a target.

The England striker has already admitted to being sounded out by a number of Premiership clubs after being pushed down the pecking order at Real Madrid.

National coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is one who believes a Rooney-Owen partnership would be a bonus at club level going into the World Cup finals.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is also on his way back after being plagued by knee injuries over the last couple of seasons.

Old Trafford boss Ferguson even hinted this week that he might be fit for the start of the season.

United open their league campaign against Rooney's former club Everton next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

thanks for that Necromomicon.

Thats bad news alright, was hoping he could get a good run this season but looks like he just cant shake off that knee problem, it will prevent him from becoming a United regular and proving his worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

McShane impressed on his Brighton debut. Sell Rio and give him a chance. ;)

"Mcshane - 9, my man of the match. Thought he was superb, tackling, passing, reading the game was excellent."

"McShane was f*cking amazing, a rock, with butters easily Man of the Match, wveryone else was quite good."

"Defensively we looked very vulnerable at times but Mcshane in particular was superb."

"Mcshane - 8. massive star of the future"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Was Jones playing for Preston yesterday.

I'm on holiday so I'm a bit lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

andyman wrote:
    Was Jones playing for Preston yesterday.

I'm on holiday so I'm a bit lost.
    Came on for the last 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So kleberson is leaving.
    Pip has left
    Jones is on loan for the year.

That leaves us only with two other central midfielders, O'Shea and Richardson.
    I can't help but think that we have to be signing a midfielder without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PHB wrote:
    I can't help but think that we have to be signing a midfielder without a doubt
    hmmmm we'll see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Think its definitly needed but we'll wait n see as far as i see this season

central mid : keane, scholes, fletcher, o'shea, fortune, smith, giggs

last season: keane, scholes, fletcher, o'shea, fortune, pip nev, kleberson, giggs

leaves us one short....plus clearly likes of giggs, o'shea, smith and fortune can play in centre but dont necessarily deserve a centre mid role for united...

Kleberson is definaly gone today.
    All the Owen rumours have been denied, but we are still in the market for a player :)
    It has to be a midfielder :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Def a midfielder coming.

DjembaX2, P Neville,Kleberson and Jones gone from last season. Even with Smith dropping back leaves us short especially with Fortune out for a while. If Keano get injured we are fooked.

My money is on Jenas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Sir Alex is holding a Press Conference at 3pm so something should come clear then.
    They have denied Owen is coming so hopefully it'll be a midfielder of note, can't think who though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Keano_sli wrote:
    Sir Alex is holding a Press Conference at 3pm so something should come clear then.
    They have denied Owen is coming so hopefully it'll be a midfielder of note, can't think who though.
    It might be only the usual pre-match Press Conference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Brian017 wrote:
    It might be only the usual pre-match Press Conference though.

That's it more than likely but I,m sure the journos will be asking him about replacements for the players that have been sold. I hope he doesn't say he is happy with the squad as it stands. I still expect a midfielder to come in.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    That's it more than likely but I,m sure the journos will be asking him about replacements for the players that have been sold. I hope he doesn't say he is happy with the squad as it stands. I still expect a midfielder to come in.

I'd say he'll probably say something like we are still looking at possibilities or something along those lines. The transfer market will heat up in about two weeks when the window comes closer to closing

When Alex is done in the transfer market he always comes out and says it.
    He can't not say he is happy with the squad, cause if he said he was unhappy,
    A. The prices would go up
    B. The press would have a field day if nobody was signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Someon I forgot about who would be ideal would be Ruben Baraja. anyone know what the deal with him is? He was touted as Gerrards replacement earlier this summer.
    I am also wondering is Fergie toying with the idea of no decicated defensive player, could work in the current formation if the diligence was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well if Owen is coming to England it will definately be with United. Newcastle are a non runner as they are not in the Champions League.

Then again they may go for Jenas who I think is overpriced.

Manchester United have denied making a move for England international Michael Owen.

Owen would appear to be available for transfer from Real Madrid and it had been claimed that The Red Devils had joined Newcastle in the pursuit of the speedy striker.

A spokesman for Real Madrid stated United had made an enquiry, but the Old Trafford outfit have been quick to pour cold water on the report.

"We have had no contact with Real Madrid over Michael Owen," stated Manchester United communications director Phil Townsend.

The denial from Manchester is sure to come as a relief to Newcastle, as they are eager to recruit Owen and the path could be clear for them to thrash out a deal.

The stumbling block could be Owen's reticence to join Newcastle, due to their failure to secure a place in Europe, and he may well hold out for a bigger move.

Owen ain't coming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

Great! thats that one put to bed, hopefuly the goons who have been giving him abuse will now shut up and get behind the team, we are going to need it this season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Yeah, bad business for someone so over rated. Feel sorry for Silvestre, he always gets the blame for any goal conceeded even though they can be Rios fault innit.

There ya go, future captain sorted.

gsand wrote:

The contract has been agreed though its not been signed yet, but will be shortly.

" Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has agreed a new four-year contract at Old Trafford.

The defender is yet to sign the new deal, but when he does it will end months of speculation about his future and will keep him at the club until 2009.

The agreement comes is a timely one for Sir Alex Ferguson, who has said he wants everyone at the club to have "a show of unity" before the season starts."

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=215925&itype=466&icategoryid=120

glad things are finally moving along with this, now we can look forward to the new season without all the speculation about Rio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Agreed, glad he is signed on...has ronaldo signed his yet? hopefully it will settle other players too....i still think rio is a class defender and realistically if united were to sell him they wouldnt get anyone as good for the same amount...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

PHB wrote:
    There ya go, future captain sorted.

Says everything about the downfall of UTD

Hey, at least we can keep our best players, surely thats good for the future

PHB wrote:
    Owen ain't coming

I wouldn't bet too much on that if I were you. Owen wants the move to United and Fergie rates him highly. I think if Fergie doesn't get the midfielder he wants he may well move for Owen.

Delighted Ferdinand has put pen to papaer , now united can concentrate on the football without that distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well, Fergie refused to be drawn on the Owen matter, but I don't think that rules the move out completely. But I do think his top priority is a midfielder, and I do believe that one will come in, especially with Pip and Kleb gone.
    It's good that Rio has signed the contract, it would have been bad for morale if the season started with things up in the air. Hopefully that'll be the end of the boo-ing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Glad Ferdinand signed a contract. That's that contraversy over and done with.

andyman wrote:
    Glad Ferdinand signed a contract. That's that contraversy over and done with.
    i wonder how much he got in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i saw a story i havent seen reported anywhere else in the evening herald today. it claimed united were after cahil. the more i think about it the more i really want to see this guy at ot. he is so energetic, just what the united midfield needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

cahill signed a new 5year with everton today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

//buries head in sand!

yeah thats the end of that.

The Muppet wrote:
    Owen wants the move to United

Have you got a source for this?? I've read a lot of reports about this and never read anything that said he wanted to move to United specifically.

No news today whatsoever.

Owen has been ruled out.
    Rio is the story today.

Its nice to see, Fergie is not being stupid anymore.
    Everything is being done silently because we can't have Chelsea involved if we want to buy players cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Its nice to see, Fergie is not being stupid anymore.

True , with Chelsea being the way they are the first we should know about new signings is when they are signed.

What's the story with Mikel Obi ? Would he be eligible for a work permit ? Hardly ,due to his age I'd imagine .

looks like man utd got another right back

the brazilian Cicinho

iv seen him play with brazil well impressed

• Advertisement

looks like man utd got another right back

the brazilian Cicinho

iv seen him play with brazil well impressed

Jumping the gun a bit there....

http://footballmsn.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=298105&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=United+open+Cicinho+talks&channel=football_home
    Manchester United have opened talks with Brazil international Cicinho.

Sir Alex Ferguson has apparently been impressed enough with the defender's performances in the Confederations Cup to launch a bid.

The Sao Paulo star has already flown in to Manchester to open talks, accompanied by his agent Juliano Leonel.

Cicinho claimed just a day ago that his dream was to play for Milan, following in the footsteps of his idol and Brazilian World Cup winning captain Cafu.

Milan, and fellow Italian giants Juventus are both amongst Cicinho's suitors, with both considering the 25-year-old right back a potential star.

Indeed, it is the Rossoneri that remain in pole position to sign the defender, who would be up against United stalwart Gary Neville should he plump for The Red Devils.

Cicinho has also been to Italy as he completed the forms that will allow him to pick up a European passport.

Meanwhile, United star Ruud van Nistelrooy has insisted that Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo can be world beaters.

Van Nistelrooy told MUTV that he is a hug fan of the pair - who have already had such a huge impact on the game.

"In a few years, those two will be dominating world football," said van Nistelrooy.

"They have such incredible quality. They are ahead of anyone in their world in their age group.

"Not only have they performed at the highest level domestically, they have also done it for their countries as well.

"They are so young, there is so much more time for them to improve.

"They can just get better and stronger every year. It is a fantastic feeling to play with great players and that is what they are."

i heard man utd are in pole position ?

i heard man utd are in pole position ?

well you havent posted a source and SteM has so his quote seems to be more realistic than your opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=298105&lid=2&cpid=8&title=United+open+Cicinho+talks&channel=football_home

but then again on the italy section on the skysports website it says that he wants to go to milan to replace cafu, would be a great signing for man Utd

Cicinho claimed just a day ago that his dream was to play for Milan,

Now where did I hear that before?

HE's human, he will go to whoever offers him the best terms for his services.

Utd should snap him when they have the chance and he doesnt need a work permit either, dont want another ronaldinho situation again.

• Advertisement

He is a right back.
    There are two players in the entire United team who I think could not be replaced by somebody better. Gary Neville and Van Nist.
    Gary Neville has been the top right back in England for his entire life, and for the past few years in the premiership he has been the same. Last year's PFA right-back of the year.
    Cicinho'd be great and all, but Neville still has a season left at least, maybe two.

U joking, neville is a liabiltity and should be replaced. Then again fergie knows best. Good to see van nistleroy back and scoring.

galwaydude wrote:
    U joking, neville is a liabiltity and should be replaced.

:eek:

I wouldn't like to see Citizen Neville replaced just yet tbh.

MooShop wrote:
    well you havent posted a source and SteM has so his quote seems to be more realistic than your opinion
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4140760.stm

galwaydude wrote:
    U joking, neville is a liabiltity and should be replaced. Then again fergie knows best. Good to see van nistleroy back and scoring.

Neville a Liabillity, exactly how many times have you actually seen Manchester United play?

• Advertisement
Advertisement