Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Transfer Signings + Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I wonder is he thinking of moving neviller into the centre alongisde rio?? Ya just wouldnt know.....alwyas a good thing to see new arrivals at the club, he is obviously a good player if he has the likes Juve, Milan and United after him...Dont think Neville has a whole lot to worry about tho id imagine he will be playing somewhere in the team for the majority of games this season barring injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

johnor wrote:
    I wonder is he thinking of moving neviller into the centre alongisde rio?? Ya just wouldnt know.....alwyas a good thing to see new arrivals at the club, he is obviously a good player if he has the likes Juve, Milan and United after him...Dont think Neville has a whole lot to worry about tho id imagine he will be playing somewhere in the team for the majority of games this season barring injury

i really like Cicinho

seen him play alot quality player up and down the wing just like cafu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

johnor wrote:

We seem to have a settled back 4 + keeper, I hope he doesn't go tampering with it now! Neville used to play CB in the youths years ago IIRC and has filled in in that position now and again but right back has to be his best position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Still he would provide good cover regardless of how well the back four are settled. Neville I agree has been a great united played especially over the last season or 2. However he is prone to injuries and cover is always good. they are a little short in those positions now that pil and spector have been sold/loaned.

Only seen this guy once in the confederations cup against Argentina and i was well impressed with him. Hope he isn't another Kleberson though.

I thought Bardsley looked good enough in pre season to be used as cover tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

A common theory is that Fergie wants to replace Slyvestre.
    If he buys another right back, he can.
    Play him in the left back position for a year or two
    Push Heinze into the middle to add the grit that Terry gives to the CHeslea CB's
    + have nevilles replacement ready

Slyvestre is very dodgey in back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I hope Cicinho signs for Milan (:-p), he'd be the perfect understudy to Cafu. He'll a great addition to any team though.

Cicinho flies into Old Trafford
    The Brazilian's trip to Manchester appears something of a u-turn after expressing a wish to sign for Milan only days ago.

'I want to play in Italy," he told Gazzetta dello Sport. 'It has been my dream since I was a child.

'I would like to join Milan. They are the strongest side in Europe. But there are also Inter and Juventus and I often speak to Adriano and Emerson about them.'

I got my hopes up after seeing this piece on the Football Italia website yesterday:
    "My friend Cafu is already at Milan," continued the right-back, who is currently in Italy waiting for an Italian passport.

"He is my idol and it is an honour for me to be considered as his heir. It would be extraordinary to take his place in the Milan side but why couldn’t we play together?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:
    Push Heinze into the middle to add the grit that Terry gives to the CHeslea CB's
    + have nevilles replacement ready

I don't think Heinze style would be suitable to be played in the middle, I fear he would give away a lot of pennos, Neville is solid enough and good going forward i don't see his place being challenged either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

The Muppet wrote:
    I don't think Heinze style would be suitable to be played in the middle, I fear he would give away a lot of pennos, Neville is solid enough and good going forward i don't see his place being challenged either.

He played in the centre for Argentina during the Confederations Cup and he was solid as a rock, as far as i know he always plays centre back for them.

• Advertisement

He always plays CB for Argentina, but they play 3 at the back, with two wing backs so its diff.
    That said, he played CB in France nearly all the time.
    Just like when Slyvestre came to United he was a LB, but Fergie converted.

The one thing I felt was lacking in our defenders last year was a bit of cold hard steel.
    Keane has that when protecting, but besides Heinze, they are no real hard hard tacklers there, although Neville is known for a few.
    Slyvestre I think Fergie doesn't rate as highly as he used to, and Heinze has been a revelation. Heinze in the middle could be the extra step needed to take Uniteds defense to Chelsea/AC Milan levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

PHB wrote:
    He always plays CB for Argentina, but they play 3 at the back, with two wing backs so its diff.
    That said, he played CB in France nearly all the time.
    Just like when Slyvestre came to United he was a LB, but Fergie converted.

The one thing I felt was lacking in our defenders last year was a bit of cold hard steel.
    Keane has that when protecting, but besides Heinze, they are no real hard hard tacklers there, although Neville is known for a few.
    Slyvestre I think Fergie doesn't rate as highly as he used to, and Heinze has been a revelation. Heinze in the middle could be the extra step needed to take Uniteds defense to Chelsea/AC Milan levels.

yeah i definitely agree with you there, i think i even said it on this thread a few pages back. Heinze would add something extra to the centre of defence and Silvestre would operate better on the left imo. As it stands Silvestre relies far too heavily on Rio and was evident when Rio was out at the end of last season

Sao Paolo sits are reporting that Cicinho is a "done deal"
    A rede globo anunciou que o lateral-direito Cicinho, está praticamente contrato pelo Manchester United.
    Um dirigente (que pediu para não ser identificado), confirmou que o negócio está praticamente fechado.
    "A oferta foi irrecusável", disse o dirigente que confirmou também um reforço para o ataque até sexta-feira.
    Perguntei se poderia ser o Christian e ele disse que é um dos nomes, os outros são: Élber, Kléber e Ricardo Oliveira, esse ultimo interessa também ao Corinthians e ao Santos.

Which apparently says that it is "practically finished"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have yet to see this guy but I agree totally that it would be great to have Henize at centre of defence, though he is prone to foul which could leave us with frees conceded in dangerous positions.

Dunno about Silvestre beign better on the left than in the centre, i think he is better in the centre but still isnt good enough for united...his distribution is appauling, its bad enough when he decides to go long from the centre but as an outlet at left back he'd be terrible....on the other hand i think gary neville's crossing has really come onover the last two or three seasons, the problem for united is getting the players in the box when we only play rvn up front on his own....united need to realise that the 4-5-1 formation works best when u make it a 3-5-2 in attack pushing on a left/right back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Something that I have been very impressed with Neville over the last two years or so is his attacking. He crossing has come on leaps and bounds since Beckhams departure, and I think I even remember him bagging a few goals :eek:

I dont know why another RB would be signed unless the plan was to move Neville into the centre, where he has performed admirably before (games against Liverpool stand out for me :rolleyes: ).

Neville is one of the best in the business at RB, despite a lot of people holding grudges against him for some reason, I dont understand why they are chasing a particularly expensive RB when hes got at least another three seasons left in him.

Something that I have been very impressed with Neville over the last two years or so is his attacking. He crossing has come on leaps and bounds since Beckhams departure, and I think I even remember him bagging a few goals :eek:

I dont know why another RB would be signed unless the plan was to move Neville into the centre, where he has performed admirably before (games against Liverpool stand out for me :rolleyes: ).

Neville is one of the best in the business at RB, despite a lot of people holding grudges against him for some reason, I dont understand why they are chasing a particularly expensive RB when hes got at least another three seasons left in him.
    i totally agree neville is like a rock in defence and kinda like keano in that he gives out to other players about making mistakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Very happy about the apparent near-signing of Cicinho, he was really impressive in the Confederations Cup I thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hate to rain on your parade but...

From Goal.com
    "Sao Paulo Deny Cicinho Reports
    8/11/2005 6:21:00 PM
    Brazilian club Sao Paulo have denied reports that Manchester United have made a bid for international defender Cicinho.
    "There hasn’t been any offer made to Sao Paulo," said an unnamed club executive on the Sao Paulo official website.

"He (Cicinho) is in Europe and he must be negotiating with a club because his agent is with him.

"But any negotiation must be accepted by Sao Paulo, who own 60% of Cicinho’s sporting rights."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

nevilles attacking is very impressive, himself and beckham had a great understanding not so much with ronaldo but nonetheless i like him going forward.

defensively he is undoubtedly good but my main problems with are his slow turn of pace. he is not the fastest over ten metres. watched premiership years last night and the goal he gave away against man city, there was another goal he gave away while holding his hand up claiming offside. he is at times suspect to the occasional wobbler.

despite all this i wouldnt have looked at the squad with the budget we have and thought replacing neville is a priority. midfield is still key for me and i would rather see our money go on a world class midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

we are very short of defensive cover, bringing somebody in there would be no harm. im sure fergie has this fellow in mind for right back, if he needs to put gary neville in center or else drop him entirely, heinze must stay at left back, the lad was class there all season. silvestre made a shed load of f**k ups when he was playing there. agreed however, id rather see the money being spent further up the field, though if we signed a defender, a midfielder AND a striker, i wouldnt be complaining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Manchester United are reported to be considering a move for American defender Oguchi Onyewu.

Linkie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

United still have Wes Brown and John O'Shea as defensive cover, and thats just people who are already established in the first team. That is more than ample cover at 5th and 6th choice I would have thought.

we have plenty of cover in the back line. so if we are going to sign a defender we need to sign somebody that is going to be more than just cover. ive never seen this american playing but if he was good enough to maybe push silvestre or neville for a place id like to see him signed and for 3 mil as well it would be a good deal.

if he or another is signed it will be interesting to see if somebody gets sold. who would go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I would certainly think silvestre would be sold.

• Advertisement

I can't see silvestre being sold. He's a good squad player and in most cases he puts in a good performance although he is prone to the odd lapse. He's fast, he has decent touch and he's good in the air. If someone were to replace hi they would have to have these abilities.

sprinkles wrote:
    Manchester United are reported to be considering a move for American defender Oguchi Onyewu.

Linkie

Yay, we might beat Newcastle and Birmingham to a €3m rated defender! And who said the Glaziers wouldn't stump up the cash for a big name player?!

We're still playing with the big boys, baby!

Money = good then stem
    HOw'd Veron do?

Stop being silly

PHB wrote:
    Money = good then stem
    HOw'd Veron do?

Stop being silly

I was being sarcastic. How much did Ronaldo, Rooney and Rio cost again by the way?

took me a min to figure out what you meant there PHB, but I agree with you that money doesn't equal success.

• Advertisement

14 million, 28 million, and 20 million + preformances which cause we ****ed up last year we didn't have to pay 4 million :)

The only way to judge a buy is by how he preforms on the pitch.
    Transfer prices are very loosley related to ability, a whole host of other factors come into play.

I think Fergie has done ****ing fantsatic this year in the transfer market.
    He has sold Kleberson and Phil Neville for 6 million
    And bought VDS and Park for 6 million, improving the squad greatly.
    And he still has lots of money to spend

Nobody mentioning Paul Scholes' signing of a two-year extension on his contract? I was happy, even though he didn't have his best of seasons last year, I think with his long-term future secure he can get back to his best. Also, Rio officially putting pen to paper. :)

sprinkles wrote:
    I can't see silvestre being sold. He's a good squad player and in most cases he puts in a good performance although he is prone to the odd lapse. He's fast, he has decent touch and he's good in the air. If someone were to replace hi they would have to have these abilities.

i was watching premeirship years other night and he was playing left back, he is an amazing full back. his attacking is play is excellent. just out of curiosity id like to see how a back line with silvestre left back, heinze and ferdy centre and gnev right back.

doubt it will happen but i think heinze could do a job in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

It certainly could be feasible , I used like so much when Silvestre played left back because he used to get so far up field and actually play well and benefit giggs game.

any one see any new signings coming in yet before the transfer deadline

Yes, but I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.
    I can also see Fortune being sold to Newcastle before the window. And perhaps more players going out on loan. Rossi and Pique perhaps.

Cicinho is actually looking like a quite a possible target.
    Quotes attributed to him from an interview say that he has been to United, and he has been offered a 4 year deal, and is just waiting for the passport. He would be a welcome addition to the back 4.

Ballack is also linked once more, and since he still hasn't signed a new contract is still a possibility. Bayern are not willing to loose him on a free apparently, so he will be sold if he doesn't sign.
    I fully expect us to sign another midfielder, cause we are weak there and if either Keano or Scholes or Fletcher gets injured on a semi long term basis we're ****ed, and Fergie knows its

Hopefully fortune gets fit so we can offload him...wouldnt mind seeing the back bellion too....really do need a central midfield player tho, united have always had options in their squad, last 2/3 seasons the backup has been below par and that has allowed the firsts to slacken off...an expierenced midfielder could shake that up....fergie does clearly see smith as a midfielder now tho, dont think he will be playing up front for united again...I see smith rejected the oppurtunity to join with england squad, said he wanted to get 90mins for united reserves instead...he was called to the squad as a replacement for a striker anyway which against what fergie is trying to do abviously...

now that essien looks set for chelsea i reckon united will show their cards.

I do too, Chelsea are done in the transfer market now, so if United are after somebody, a club can't link em to Chelsea realistically, so we can get a decent price for people.

If Fortune was sold then he would be pretty much telling us he is definately bringing a midfielder in, that and the sales of Neville and Kleb would be a lot of wages freed up, and we'd have lost a good bit of cover in the middle. Especially when you take into consideration the ages of Keane and Scholes who won't be playing every game between the 3 main competitions.
    I take back my initial prediction about Owen coming to United, after seeing the CL qualifier and then the game against Everton, I think it's pretty clear that Fergie is sticking to the 4-5-1/4-3-3, which Owen wouldn't fit into with a fit again Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

We have ample cover in goal. In defence, O shea can cover right and left back. We have cover if we need it in the middle were we have rio,silvestre,brown,o shea,neville and heinze that can all play there. Also pique and if needed spector can be recalled from loan.

Cant see the advantage of signing cicihno now.

Up front we will have ruud, saha, rooney, smith, rossi and solskjaer when fit.

Its defo midfield where we need strengthening. Didnt ferguson say a while back they were looking to bring someone experienced in before aug 31?

Nearly all Man Utd fan forums are all reporting a 10 million bid was made for Ballack.
    Whether or not he wants to come, or Bayern are willing to sell is now hte question.

PHB wrote:
    Nearly all Man Utd fan forums are all reporting a 10 million bid was made for Ballack.
    Whether or not he wants to come, or Bayern are willing to sell is now hte question.
    i love to see ballack in a united shirt

i would go out and buy the new united shirt with ballack on the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

agreed headshot

PHB wrote:
    I think only Ballack or his agent could tell us if he really wants to join, but I do think Bayern would be willing to sell.
    They have a player in his late 20's going into the last year of his contract; they could keep him another year and risk losing him for nothing, or get an assured 10 or so million. Also, there have been plenty of quotes coming out of Bayern that they won't be held to a wage ransom, that he is sellable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

PHB wrote:

Doesnt mean its true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Bellion to West Ham on year long loan

From Sporting life

Good move. I'd like to see him get an extended run in a side, he did pretty well for us at the start of last season during our injury epidemic.

Yeah, I think this is a good move for him. I can't see him getting a sniff of first team action at United this season so going out on loan was for the best. There's no doubt he has pace but whether he has much skill to go along with it remains to be seen....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

well hopefully this will give him the chance to show what he can do(or cant maybe)

Advertisement