Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Transfer Signings + Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Miller is also apparently going on loan to Derby county.
    Its good to see this clear out, as it reduces wages etc.
    If Miller does leave, a new midfielder has to be signed, as we would only have 4 players vying for positions there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

PHB wrote:
    Miller is also apparently going on loan to Derby county.
    Its good to see this clear out, as it reduces wages etc.
    If Miller does leave, a new midfielder has to be signed, as we would only have 4 players vying for positions there.

Source? seen a story earlier this season about a 500K bid but nothing came of it....is it a loan or a permenant move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bellion gone to West ham on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Bellion gone to West ham on loan

Yeah, that was posted about 7 posts up ^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

good move for bellion.he could be a good foil to teddys creativity. or could play wide to accomidate harewood too.

ste, great sig too. paddy crerand comes out with some gold quotes - thats another!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

besty wrote:
    ste, great sig too. paddy crerand comes out with some gold quotes - thats another!
    Hehe, made me chuckle too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

LMFAO thats a good one

So, the transfer window closes on the 31st as we all know. Anyone think there'll be anymore signings in this window. I know Ferguson hasn't come out and said he's finished in the transfer market yet but it doesn;t seem that there's anything on the horizon bar the usual tabloid stories.

BTW, I really believe that if Saha had have stayed fit in pre season he would have moved to another club by now (maybe Villa?) with the money going towards Owen coming in. We'll never know for sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think we'll see a big name arrive once we have definitely got through to the CL proper. I totally agree with you about Saha which is why I wouldn't be surprised if the new arrival were Micky Owen .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Sir Rednose quoted as saying this morning anyway "There is nothing to say at this moment in time but we are looking at the situation"

Sounds like he has something brewing in the pipeline. Hearing those evil scousers have approached cicihno as well. :mad:

• Advertisement

Yeh I suppose post CL it would make sense, but I'm not as convinced.
    I think that while Fergie might be looking at a midfielder, I'm not sure if he has found one who he thinks can add to the team.

p.s.
    If we want Cicinho and are competing with Liverpool we will get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭KingEric

I dont see why United are consistently linked with a striker, namely Owen. A midfielder should be top priorty and then a centre back, cos i dont like Silvestre at all!! I get nervous every time he touches the ball!!

If Owen does go to United, he'll be third choice at best and United are only playing with 1 centre forward at the minute with Rooney pushed out wide.

The reason I think they havnt signed a midfielder yet is because Ferguson hasnt found anybody whos good enough but at a decent price. I'd say they would've paid upto 12m for Essien but once Chelsea came along there was no chance of the price staying respectable :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I can't see fergie moving for a striker, i know he needs goals more than ever this season but i think he will have faith in rvn and just hope that ole still has it when he gets back...i think saha is defo good enough as a back up to rvn in the premiership just have to hope he can stay fit.....Offloaded enough of the midfield to suggest a midfielder is coming.....like djemba, kleberson, pip all gone only park in...think fortune could go if we do get someone in...i cant wait to see the back of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

jonor wrote:
    Offloaded enough of the midfield to suggest a midfielder is coming.....like djemba, kleberson, pip all gone only park in

With Saha out injured yet again and Ole not yet back from his career threatening injury United could do with an extra striker. Smithy will never be prolific so if anything happens Ruud or Rooney we will be in trouble.

Apparently Cicinho has signed for real so we will not be getting him.

Just saw that cichino deal, yet another target goes! I think united are ok for the forward line especially if we are continuing with the current system, i reckon if we added owen I cant see him being more than a backup player and for the type of money he is going for i can't see fergie making a strong offer given the current situation and the fact that or midfield is weaker due to loosing 3/4 players over the last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

do united fans honestly want owen?

i haven't looked at his stats for his last year with liverpool but iirc it wasn't very good and i remember him missing an awful amount of peno's :D

if it was a free transfer, maybe, but even then where would he play ? who do you leave out? what system do we go with him in the side? would he sit on the bench for half the season?

For me the price is too high and we don't really need him as said before saha is coming back soon, smith can do a job if needed, and hopefully ole will make a return.

The Muppet wrote:
    Apparently Cicinho has signed for real so we will not be getting him.
    any link /proof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

BBC

another great player gone

come on ferguson sign a great midfielder

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Not convinced about Cicinho, he's not really suited to a flat back four. No great loss for United there.

• Advertisement

I reckon a player that has united, juve, inter, ac and real as suitors cannot be that bad....even if he is more of an attacking right back there is no reason why ferguson couldnt turn him into a midfielder.....Ah well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeah, don't think Cicinho is any great loss to Utd. He doesn't really defend and probably wouldn't suit Utd's current formation.

Cicinho article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

thats a shame he isnt coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

what happened to the Ballack deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

think ballack doesnt want to move as its world cup year.He will proberly wait till next summer and have the pick of the clubs then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

im begining to think it isnt going to happen lads. the performances of park would suggest the midfield will be highly competitive this year. so i cant see another midfielder coming in. defense wise i think were fine as it is unless we are prepared to sign a world class cb to really challenge ferdy and mik.

up front remains the only area that may need a new face. im basing this on the fact that saha is just a injury nightmare. i think he could be a great forward but he needs games and lots of them. so im not saying we need to replace ruud or rooney im saying that we need reliable backup and so far saha hasnt proved to be that. so maybe just maybe it might be a forward to come in.

but i dont think a player will be signed. (no doubt this will be quoted several times over when fergie unveils his new signing tomorrow morning!)

anybody feel we need to sign?

anybody feel we need to sign?
    I think we've addressed the two main problems of last season, which was the goalkeeping situation (addressed by signing Van Der Sar) and the goal-scoring situation (addressed by nursing Ruud back to health). So I think the squad is strong. However, I think one midfielder needs to be signed. I think I've said in other posts that we won't get 38 games out of Scholes and Keane as well as a long Cup and European campaign. Also, with the departures of Pip and Kleb, we might be short cover.
    If Fergie is going to sign someone, he's kept it pretty quiet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The only thing man utd will be signing now are cheques!! but seriously how do man utd supporters feel about essin saying at the chelsea press conference that he would have prefered to play for utd! thought that was gas!!

but seriously how do man utd supporters feel about essin saying at the chelsea press conference that he would have prefered to play for utd! thought that was gas!!
    What?? That has to be taken a little out of context, because
    a) He's been sulking like a child saying that he only wants to play for Chelsea
    b) It would be down-right stupid to say you would have preferred a move to your rivals right after signing for a team.

• Advertisement

I would have liked to see united sign essien but for that money we never had a chance. thats interesting about scholes and keane-who would you bringin?

Park is not a central midfielder, he is one of the two players playing off Ruud.
    He is not an addition to the midfield, he is an addition to the attack.

First off, we don't need someone up front.
    If Ruud gets injured, we have Saha to play in the middle. If he can't hack it, which he can, but if he couldn't, Rooney can go in the middle, and Park/Giggs and Ronaldo can play off him.
    If one of the wide men gets injured, there are Giggs/Park to cover for them, not to mention Richardson and Rossi.
    Oh yeh, don't forget about Rossi playing in the centre aswell.
    We are totally ok up front.

The area that needs to be strengthened is midfield.
    We have
    Keano
    Scholes
    Fletcher
    Smith
    Fortune
    O'Shea

After the first three, we are very weak, and only one of those three can play every game of the season.
    Fergie knows we need another midfielder, he has said it pretty much definately, he has said we are looking at the situation, that he'd like an experienced player brought in, and he will if he can.
    The question is as always who?

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=229437

another brazillian to real.

seems to be all quiet on the OT front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'm not so sure that we'll sign another midfielder unless SAF can find someone experienced, willing and reasonably priced. Candidates?

I think he's banking on Obi Wan to come in jan and that we'll be okay until then.

Personally I think the mid we have is reasonable until then assuming we stay injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I thought once the guarantee of champs league football was there and the 10 mill that goes with it , we would see the glazers open the big MU rowdies purse and buy at least one midfielder. Will have to see what happens over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

PHB wrote:
    Park is not a central midfielder, he is one of the two players playing off Ruud.
    He is not an addition to the midfield, he is an addition to the attack.

If Ruud gets injured, we have Saha to play in the middle.
    If one of the wide men gets injured, there are Giggs/Park to cover for them, not to mention Richardson and Rossi.
    Oh yeh, don't forget about Rossi playing in the centre aswell.
    We are totally ok up front.

The area that needs to be strengthened is midfield.
    We have
    Keano
    Scholes
    Fletcher
    Smith
    Fortune
    O'Shea

After the first three, we are very weak, and only one of those three can play every game of the season.

firstly Saha is a pile of ****. he is a terrible striker. and I wouldnt exactly call Rossi or Richardson good backup.

and after Keane and scholes the next best midfielder would be smith or o,shea(who isnt great really). fletcher isnt good enough. for a side that is supposed to be title contenders they need to sort out fletcher first. get a stronger midfield. someone who can play well with scholes and keane. but they need someone to back keane up cause lets face it. he aint what he used to be

• Advertisement

Saha is not a pile of ****, that is just untrue.
    Have you seen the guy play?
    He is a strong strong pacy forward who has a fantastic goal scoring record, for United aswell. He has a very goal goals to game ratio for United, its just that he has played so few games.
    He has been incredibly unlucky with injuries, but once he gets back to his feet, which shold be in about 2-3 weeks, he will be able to do a job for United. To say he is **** is just silly.

Rossi and Richardson are about 5th and 6th choice wingers. Most clubs don't even have 4 wing forward style players, let alone 6. One of them being a full england international, and another one of the best prospects to come out of United for years.
    ----
    I agree they need to sort out of the midfield, but its not Fletchers fault.
    Fletchers job is to break up play, and be everywhere on the pitch. Him and Keane combine to stop the opposition from playing.
    United have one of the best defensive records in the country, and are very good at keeping the ball, this is because of Fletchers legs, which people dismiss so easily. Just because he doesn't do 50 yard passes into the opposition box doesn't mean he isn't a good player.
    Scholes is unfortunately the problem in our midfield, and I've been hoping he'd get back to old form, but he doesn't seem to be.
    Our goals nearly all come from our wing men, Rooney and Ronaldo, and Scholes gets very few assists. He is needed to be replaced, which saddens me, but thats the way it goes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PHB wrote:
    Saha is not a pile of ****, that is just untrue.
    Have you seen the guy play?
    He is a strong strong pacy forward who has a fantastic goal scoring record, for United aswell. He has a very goal goals to game ratio for United, its just that he has played so few games.
    He has been incredibly unlucky with injuries, but once he gets back to his feet, which shold be in about 2-3 weeks, he will be able to do a job for United. To say he is **** is just silly.
    I just had a look at his profile on BBC, it says he's scored 81 goals in 241 (49 sub) appearances. 9 goals in 36 (15 as sub) appearances for United. IIRC the majority of those 9 came immediately after he joined, and he hasn't had a sniff since. He's 27 and he's had half a good season with Fulham, which doesn't really inspire confidence. How many times have we heard that he should be alright in a few weeks?

Tell me about it, the guy is injured non stop and it bugs the **** out of me.

His record when fit is a better description, and has played lots of games coming back from injury. When he signed at first, he was scoring for fun, and I fully expect him to do that again once he returns and gets some confidence!

PHB wrote:
    When he signed at first, he was scoring for fun, and I fully expect him to do that again once he returns and gets some confidence!
    That's what I've been saying as well! The guy clearly has talent, he's just cursed with injury. With his knee op, hopefully it'll be the end of it.
    Scored (an albeit deflected) free kick against Southampton on his debut, two great goals against Everton, a goal of the month against Fulham and equaliser against Arsenal at Highbury are ones that spring to mind.
    He's a fantastic ariel player, something which I think we need more of. Also, I think he has first-class control. When fit, a very good asset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

agree wholeheartedly on the saha thing - I actually think he is more suited to the current formation that Ruud.

• Advertisement

dont see united getting any new players now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

From the BBC:

Man Utd not planning Ballack bid

Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson says he will not make a bid for Bayern Munich midfielder Michael Ballack, 28, before next week's transfer deadline.

Ferguson says no-one will join before 31 August and is focusing on grooming Alan Smith to succeed Roy Keane.

"There will be nothing before the transfer window," he confirmed.

"Roy sees characteristics in Alan that he saw in himself as a young player, which could help Alan develop into a very good player in that position."

Try as i might, i still can't see Smith as a central midfielder.

SofaKing wrote:
    Try as i might, i still can't see Smith as a central midfielder.
    Well, Fergie and Keane seem to see something in it!

only time will tell if smith turns out to be a good midfielder. i think the phrase replace roy keane is a bit unclear as its hard to determine what roy keane we are trying to replace. keane is very different from the player he started out as and really dont think we will find a player who can match all of keanes abilities.

smith wont match his abilities but he may offer something different. i for one would like to see what he has to offer in that position in the premiership rather than against hungary's finest.

No doubt he will get a chance to do so for united this season...he played there at the back end of leeds' last prem season i believe

Anyone watching Ipswich vs. Preston? Half-time and it's 3-0 to Preston. Young Dave Jones has a goal and an assist to his name :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ALBION loan star Paul McShane could be on a collision course with Manchester United, paving the way for a possible permanent move to the Seagulls.

McShane does not want to return to a diet of more reserve team football at Old Trafford once his loan with Albion expires just before Christmas.

The 19-year-old Republic of Ireland international centre half, outstanding again in Saturday's goalless draw at Preston, signed a new two-year contract with United at the end of last season.

He is due to return to Old Trafford on December 21, but McShane revealed: "I wouldn't want to go back to play in the reserves.

"I'll have to sit down with my parents and the club and see what the future holds for me.

"I don't want to play in the reserves again, because I would see that as a step backwards. I want to just keep progressing. I want to make a name for myself.

"The first team squad is so big and it's quite frustrating. I think I'm better than some of the players in the first team but they have got a name, they are experienced and they are on ten grand a week."

Albion manager Mark McGhee said: "I don't know United's thoughts but Paul has been excellent for us and he has got a future, there is no doubt about that. It could be here, who knows?"

Gary Hart is on standby for his first start of the campaign at rightback against Plymouth at Withdean today as Jason Dodd is a doubt with a foot injury.
    I'm not sure how he did today (Brighton kept a clean sheet) but if you ask any Brighton fan they will tell you he has been their best player in every single match so far this season.

I don't blame him and there's no real reason why he should go back to United in December if he's pregressing while out on loan. He's been a very bright prospect for United in the reserves but he's not going to force his way into the first team there at the moment, I'm sure the two managers will agree to extend the loan until the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I know Paul McShane quite well(Not really me but my sister was mates with him) and all he wants is to play 1st team football, which he is not getting at Man Utd. During Pre-season he was as happy as Larry because he was playing with some 1st team regulars and he saw that as a real confidence booster. Now, he has turned that confidence into MOTM performences at Brighton and thinks that he can do a lot better than to back to the reserves. I think what he should do is wait until the transfer window opens and see if he can get a loan move to a mid-table PL club, which he is capable of. Paul(along with watching the Neville brothers on TV) taught me everything I needed to know about being a good defender. Now, thanks to him I have had a trial with Birmingham. I think he should consider a loan move there if the offer came in.
    evad_lhorg wrote:
    fletcher isnt good enough. for a side that is supposed to be title contenders they need to sort out fletcher first.

Fletcher is good enough. He turns in excellent displays for both United and Scotland. I don't think I can remember him going through a bad spell.

good to see mcshane with the right attitude. i have never seen this guy in action so ill take everybodys word for it. if he is as good as you guys say then i wouldnt mind seeing him helping out at the back in the first team. not much room for him unless he can push past the likes of brown and o shea, which should be a reasonable target for a defender with ambition.

while were talking about defenders, what ye think of taylor for newcastle at the weekend? he is a new john terry in the making. so strong in the tackle. if newcastle have a bad season his signing would surely be up for grabs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement