Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Transfer Signings + Rumours

1111213141517»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

"I think I'm better than some of the players in the first team but they have got a name, they are experienced and they are on ten grand a week." - I'd love to know who he's talking about there. 10 grand? Surely everyone in the United first team earns more than that.

One thing that might not be in favour of McShane is his height. Although, I suppose Ferguson would have let him go by now if height was that important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

He may not be tall. But he can jump as high as Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

seen them in a jumping contest have ya?

height isnt a factor really, once he's not 5' 2. A good solid defender, but I dont think he will make it at Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Pique is probably on that sorta cash, and he probably thinks he is better than him.
    I like that in a youngster, but I doubt that United will let him move, I'd imagine he'll just be loaned out some more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

damnit when i saw this thread had extra posts i thought we were after making a late swoop for someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Anyone else a little down heartened that we haven't made a solid move for a proven midfield player this summer? I mean there is nothing in the press about any possible signings, I think we really do need another midfielder for competition purposes. We've started well, team looks alot hungier but I can see a time when maybe scholes or keane gets injuried and we are putting in Fortune or an unproven Smith as replacement. I believe there is enough money there to go out and strengthen so I wouldnt put the blame at the Glazier's. I also think that whoever Keane's replacement will be, I dont believe it will be Smith, should be at the club while keane is still playing and in fairness to keane I reckon he has maybe only got this season left in him especailly since we don't have a whole host of backup for him! I can't see O'shea and Miller progressing enough to be considered 40/50 games a season players, I dont think Fortune is up to standard at all and The jury is still out on Alan Smith playing in midfield...I'd wonder if the thinking is to wait until January as there was no target good enough or no target suitible as regards money and expierence....Like Ballack still hasn't signed his deal with Bayern and we are yet to make a soild move for him. Unless there is some Late Late show on the cards I feel we may struggle early in the season and maybe fergie will ahve the problem he had up front last season in the midfield this season....Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

johnor wrote:
    Anyone else ..............................Any thoughts?

Main problem is that Chelsea undertook it that they wanted Essien.....if Chelsea hadnt made a move I think he would be in a Utd Jersey now for 10mil....also Ballack is holding out for aload of money from bayern, if he hasnt been offered it by January I think Utd will move then with a bid while everyone else will be trying to sign up on a free unless Chelsea decide they want him and then again will get him

Utd cannot deal with Chelsea in the transfer market at moment!!! simple as that! everything they do has to be done on quiet or Chelsea will just make out they are buying and clubs double the price!!!

Oh yeah all over Radio 1 earlier about Utd sacking staff to save money and the papers are complaingin about players earning 100K and normal people getting sacked....start of the Glazier revolution!! sack staff on the day when everyone is too busy with transfer window!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

johnor wrote:
    Anyone else a little down heartened that we haven't made a solid move for a proven midfield player this summer? I mean there is nothing in the press about any possible signings, I think we really do need another midfielder for competition purposes. We've started well, team looks alot hungier but I can see a time when maybe scholes or keane gets injuried and we are putting in Fortune or an unproven Smith as replacement. I believe there is enough money there to go out and strengthen so I wouldnt put the blame at the Glazier's. I also think that whoever Keane's replacement will be, I dont believe it will be Smith, should be at the club while keane is still playing and in fairness to keane I reckon he has maybe only got this season left in him especailly since we don't have a whole host of backup for him! I can't see O'shea and Miller progressing enough to be considered 40/50 games a season players, I dont think Fortune is up to standard at all and The jury is still out on Alan Smith playing in midfield...I'd wonder if the thinking is to wait until January as there was no target good enough or no target suitible as regards money and expierence....Like Ballack still hasn't signed his deal with Bayern and we are yet to make a soild move for him. Unless there is some Late Late show on the cards I feel we may struggle early in the season and maybe fergie will ahve the problem he had up front last season in the midfield this season....Any thoughts?

I think your own post pointed out why we've not made a move for a midfielder. Who is there that is/was available? You only mentioned Ballack and he may not be a direct replacement for Keane although I'd love to see him join. There was Essien but he went for crazy money - he's not a £26m player at this point in time imho. Who else is available that would really improve our squad?

Maybe as some have suggested before we're counting on Jon Mikel Obi coming in in January to give the midfield a boost and Fletcher stepping up and becoming the great midfielder that the manager believes he is?

Don't know tbh.
    I expected someone to be signed, and I still wouldn't be shocked to see a player unveiled last minute, but I don't expect it anymore.
    I think we are seriously weak in the old midfield section.
    That said, I think Fergie is taking a little gamble on the preformances of certain players.
    Maybe he feels Richardson can do a job in the middle.
    Fortune can do a job in the middle, and has made some great preformances for Untied, first AC Milan game he was our best player.
    Smithy I don't think has a chance, but its our best way to keep him around in case of a striker problem, and thats fine by me.

I'm sure he also has the option of recalling Jones from loan.
    The guy just had a seriously good game for Preston scoring one and getting an assist, and he is highly rated by everyone at Man Utd. He is always there as a option to call back.
    I know we are a bit weak in midfield, but like are Chelsea any better atm?

They have

Makelele
    Lampard
    Essien
    They have Gudjohnson who can play there, but while good isnt' fantastic. He also limits the role of Lampard. He really is comparable to Smithy, but he is a successful convert, not a hopeful one.
    Joe Cole can also play in there, but so can Rooney and Ronaldo. Its the same thing. Ronaldo especially so, as he has played there for Portugal sometimes, and he is seriously good there. But he gives us a natural width which is good.
    Geremi, comparable to Fortune. Personally I'd rate Fortune higher.
    I don't see anyone complaining about Chelseas midfield.
    If they get an injury to Lampard or Makelele, they are ****ed.
    I know Lampard never gets injured, but neither does Terry. I notice Terry is also out for a month now. He and Lampard were taking injections last year to keep playing to the end of the season, maybe thats coming back to haunt them. But I imagine Lampard to play nearly every game.
    But Makelele is getting old now, more and more tired. Same as Keane really.
    Essien hasn't shown anything yet to prove he has anythign other than huge potential. But its only been one game.
    But if Chelsea lose one of their midfielders, they are in about the same trouble as Man Utd. So I don't really see the problem tbh.
    I figure we will keep up with Chelsea until Christmas, and maybe drop behind a couple of points if Chelsea keep wining without deserving it :P But if they start to drop points, which will be interesting without Terry in defense, if we get ahead by Christmas, I can see us bringing someone in in midfield to help sure up the lead.
    Either way, I trust Fergie so :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

BIt of a rumour to suggest they might be still on look out

Udinese general director Pietro Leonardi has dismissed rumours linking midfielder Sulley Muntari with a move to Manchester United.

The 21-year-old has been been a regular in the side since arriving at Udinese in 2002, and played a pivotal role in their fourth-placed finish last season.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has followed the Ghana midfielder's progress since his fine performances in the 2001 African Under-20 Championships, but the Fruili club insist their player is going nowhere.

"I firmly deny these rumours," said Leonardi. "We have already confirmed he is in the squad."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

PHB wrote:
    Don't know tbh.
    I expected someone to be signed, and I still wouldn't be shocked to see a player unveiled last minute, but I don't expect it anymore.
    I think we are seriously weak in the old midfield section.
    That said, I think Fergie is taking a little gamble on the preformances of certain players.
    Maybe he feels Richardson can do a job in the middle.
    Fortune can do a job in the middle, and has made some great preformances for Untied, first AC Milan game he was our best player.
    Smithy I don't think has a chance, but its our best way to keep him around in case of a striker problem, and thats fine by me.

I'm sure he also has the option of recalling Jones from loan.
    The guy just had a seriously good game for Preston scoring one and getting an assist, and he is highly rated by everyone at Man Utd. He is always there as a option to call back.

They have

Makelele
    Lampard
    Essien
    They have Gudjohnson who can play there, but while good isnt' fantastic. He also limits the role of Lampard. He really is comparable to Smithy, but he is a successful convert, not a hopeful one.
    Joe Cole can also play in there, but so can Rooney and Ronaldo. Its the same thing. Ronaldo especially so, as he has played there for Portugal sometimes, and he is seriously good there. But he gives us a natural width which is good.
    Geremi, comparable to Fortune. Personally I'd rate Fortune higher.
    I don't see anyone complaining about Chelseas midfield.
    If they get an injury to Lampard or Makelele, they are ****ed.
    I know Lampard never gets injured, but neither does Terry. I notice Terry is also out for a month now. He and Lampard were taking injections last year to keep playing to the end of the season, maybe thats coming back to haunt them. But I imagine Lampard to play nearly every game.
    But Makelele is getting old now, more and more tired. Same as Keane really.
    Essien hasn't shown anything yet to prove he has anythign other than huge potential. But its only been one game.
    But if Chelsea lose one of their midfielders, they are in about the same trouble as Man Utd. So I don't really see the problem tbh.
    I figure we will keep up with Chelsea until Christmas, and maybe drop behind a couple of points if Chelsea keep wining without deserving it :P But if they start to drop points, which will be interesting without Terry in defense, if we get ahead by Christmas, I can see us bringing someone in in midfield to help sure up the lead.
    Either way, I trust Fergie so :)
    Chelsea have lots of cover for their centre of midfield. Lampard, Essien, Makelele, Tiago, Gudjohnsen with Geremi and Cole able to deputise if injuries get really bad.

Utd on the other hand have Keane/Smith, Scholes and Fletcher playing in the middle. Cover for them is Fortune and Miller.

I know which midfield I'd rather have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

tiago has left.

Tiago has left, and you really didn't read my post :)

Makelele - Keane
    Lampard - Scholes
    Essien - Fletcher
    Geremi - Fortune
    Gudjohnson - Smith
    Cole - Ronaldo

Hey i'm not saying I wouldn't liek to have Lampard in the United shirt, but like just from a numbers point of view, they aren't any safer than we are.
    This is because the following players have moved on:

Parker
    Tiago
    Smertin
    Jarosik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    PHB wrote:
    Makelele - Keane
    Lampard - Scholes
    Essien - Fletcher
    Geremi - Fortune
    Gudjohnson - Smith
    Cole - Ronaldo

Hey i'm not saying I wouldn't liek to have Lampard in the United shirt, but like just from a numbers point of view, they aren't any safer than we are.
    This is because the following players have moved on:

Parker
    Tiago
    Smertin
    Jarosik
    Jarosik is still a Chelsea player, and could be recalled in the case of an injury crisis. And if Ronaldo can play in central midfield so could Duff or Wright-Philips, hell even Robben could!

Im also surprised at a lack of activity from United, but I wouldnt rule anything out until midnight. They need to strengthen in the midfield if they want to assault on all fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Jarosik is still a Chelsea player, and could be recalled in the case of an injury crisis. And if Ronaldo can play in central midfield so could Duff or Wright-Philips, hell even Robben could!

Im also surprised at a lack of activity from United, but I wouldnt rule anything out until midnight. They need to strengthen in the midfield if they want to assault on all fronts.

I don't see what all the panic is, no point buying for the sake of buying we have a decent squad and the window opens back up in 3 months there's no rush.

fortune can do a job, smith can do a job o'shea and miller even rooney i'd say would be fantastic in the center, none of them are roy keane's, but who fecking is?

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    I don't see what all the panic is, no point buying for the sake of buying we have a decent squad and the window opens back up in 3 months there's no rush.

fortune can do a job, smith can do a job o'shea and miller even rooney i'd say would be fantastic in the center, none of them are roy keane's, but who fecking is?
    A club with Uniteds aspirations need more than players that can "do a job".

Keane is Uniteds only central midfielder with any sort of consistency, particularly at the level of consistency required to win the CL/PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well if there is a transfer to come in the last few hours then it has been a well-kept secret. I doubt it though. We have a good midfield, but thin in cover. Who is genuinely challenging Keane and Scholes in the middle?
    But if Fergie doesn't think he can get the right man in, then there's no point really. Ballack seemed to be the only big name talked about, but a deal was never reached. He still hasn't signed a new deal at Bayern, so maybe Fergie feels he can get him in the near future, and has enough players in the meantime.

I wouldn't agree Jivin, as I think Fletcher is a quality quality player, but I doubt I'll win people over on that :)

I would however like aplayer bought but I honastly can't see who we can bring in :/
    Ballack does not seem to want to come
    Essien was priced out of it by Chelsea
    Van Bommel we never had a chance of getting
    Gattuso was approached and Milan turned us down

The players that are required aren't availible atm, so I'm happy in a sense, cause at least we ain't just buying for the sake of it

PHB wrote:
    I wouldn't agree Jivin, as I think Fletcher is a quality quality player, but I doubt I'll win people over on that :)
    I don't think Fletcher is a bad player, but at the moment he is miles off the ability needed to compete at European level. And he is starting every game these days!

He may turn out to be good (although at 21 and having seen a good bit of him), I cant see him being world class.
    PHB wrote:
    The players that are required aren't availible atm, so I'm happy in a sense, cause at least we ain't just buying for the sake of it
    I agree that United definitely shouldn't be buying for the sake of buying. But this problem hasn't come out of nowhere. Its been coming for a year. Keane and Scholes are both old. They were last year. They couldnt compete on all levels last year, they are hardly going to be able this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I don't think Man Utd need a midfield atm if they continue to play 4-3-3.

Look at the options they have:
    Scholes
    Fletcher
    Ronaldo
    Giggs
    Richardson(unless he went out on loan and I didn't hear about it)
    Fortune
    Smith
    Keane
    O'Shea.

I know that Ronaldo and Giggs can also play off Van Nistelrooy like Park and Rooney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

The basis for my post comes from the central midfield p.o.v, still think that between keane, fletcher, scholes, fortune, o'shea, miller & smith we do lack quality. I cannot see keane playing the same amount of games he did like maybe he might play 25-30 of the league games aand maybe another 10/15 games in fa and cham lg? I dunno if he has it in him to play much more than that? Scholes has started the season well but his last two seasons have been disapointing he has had good spells in the side and when he has preformed the whole team has preformed. I believe Fletcher will be an important player in seasons to come for united but I still dont rate him as highly as other young players who have come through in the past. The other 4 are all players I don't believe have the quality to play 30 games for united. I would have been alot more confident with phil neville or nicky butt playing than fortune, miller or o'shea. The jury is still out on smith imo so i'll give him a chance.

In comparison to chelsea, they have Lampard, Makaele and Essien as first choice three. I think Lampard is currently more consistent than Scholes over the last two seasons. I think Makaele and Keane are probably equal in what makaele offers to chelsea, keane gives alot more leadership etc. to united. I think Essien is alot better than fletcher and probably always will be, he showed this last season in the champions league. He is a great box to box player who can really influence a game where as fletcher may or may not show up to a game. In reserve they have Geremi, Diarra, Cole and Gudjohnson. While I'd agree that maybe their reserves don't look a whole lot better I think that the age and current form of their top 3 choices would make me think they are slightly better off...They also have the ability to recall Smertin or Jarosik which is nice.

Hopefully we can make some sort of move in January, I'd be delighted to get Ballack at a cut down price but I think there will be alot of big clubs from italy and spain also in for him at that stage...I'd be happy with a move for Carrick he has impressed me from what i've seen for spurs, i wonder how the spurs midifeld will go with the new policy of buying ever young english midfielder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

johnor wrote:
    Scholes has started the season well
    I don't think he has unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

A club with Uniteds aspirations need more than players that can "do a job".

Keane is Uniteds only central midfielder with any sort of consistency, particularly at the level of consistency required to win the CL/PL.

it doesn't matter who we get in, there's no one that can replicate roy keane, so by do a job i mean come in and cover him as much as anyone could come in and try and replace keane it's impossible.

anytime fletcher played there last year he was the best player on the park.

many times fortune has gone in there and at times been alot more positive than keane.

the squad at the moment is good enough to beat anyone at any level and i agree with PHB most of what fletcher does go unoticed but he's definitley quality and will only get better especially if he fills out a bit more, i was just looking at him tonight against bolton last year and he was outstanding, if you can't see all ready world class qualities you don't know alot about football, he's hasn't the silky skills or pace of a lee sharpe/kanchelski/giggs/ronaldo he's not going to be tearing down the wing beaten players, but his imagination, passing and overall football brain is world class _now_

his timing/finishing in the box and timing of a few tackles can be off, but it will come, if you look back at some old notts forest matches he's alot more polished now than keane was in the early 90's so saying he want be world class is rediclous

I'd rather an ankle biter like smith or someone as determtend as john o shea to sit in there than paying some over rated over priced Essien who so far for chelsea can't win a tackle "but he's only had two games" he's played about 120 minutes of football and i've yet to see him win a 50/50 or even put in one intelligent pass.

the only player i wanted to come in was Van Bommel.

imo anyone we want doesn't want to come or is over priced, so it's not like they just don't want to spend, there has to be someone you want first or that wants to come to you and so far it hasn't happened.

Hmm, no player bought, am I happy?

I heard today that Richardson went absolutely ****ing nuts at Fergie for not including him on the bench in the Newcastle match, and that Fergie was so takenaback that he just stood there and took it. Good to see from Richardson :)

I think we are now totally relying on our magic men.
    Our Goalie, Defenders, and midfield do an excellent job in protecting our goal.
    We have Scholes who has literally been invisible in the last 4 matches, and has done very little taking up a space :/
    Then we have our magic men, Rooney and Ronaldo.
    Who create chances out of absolutely nothing through personal skill, just like Duff and Robben for Chelsea, like Henry for Arsenal.
    And we have Van Nist to put it away.
    If Scholes doesn't pick up, we need Rooney and Ronaldo to be excellent every game, every single game :/ Its a lot to ask of kids.
    I'm secretly hoping, and I know this is horrid, than Scholes gets injured for a month, and we are forced to use Richardson in midfield. I think he can inject a little bit of life, and surely he deserves a chance by now.
    We're playing with 10 men atm :/

Advertisement