Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Transfer Signings + Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

we need a class midfielder

New Goalkeeper Throws Down The Gauntlet

United's new signing Edwin van der Sar already has Chelsea's title in his sights.

Speaking for the first time since his transfer to Old Trafford, the Dutch goalkeeper said: "They (Chelsea) had quite a good season! Hopefully we can change that next year and maybe with a couple more adjustments in the team, we'll be ready for them."

Edwin insists he left Fulham - Chelsea's West London neighbours - on good terms. He told Sky Sports:

"I was fully committed to Fulham until the end. The manager (Chris Coleman) called me. He was happy for me and wished me luck with my new club.

"The next two years will be great for me. I hope to bring United back to where they belong, the top position."

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=182287&itype=466&icategoryid=120

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Phil Neville Wigan Midfielder £2.5m [crossing fingers in hope]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Selling Ferdinand? Are you nuts?
    Just look at the difference he makes, nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Ferdinand doesn't give a crap about the club - plays his heart out for England displaying his true alleigance. Again, imo.

Absolute waste of money. Compare him to the CB's of past United teams - Bruce, Pallister - even Stam, Johnsen and Berg put in the effort.

We wouldn't get a fraction of what he cost us but I think he disgraces the United jersey at the moment.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If selling Ferdinand meant getting three quality players in his place I'd gladly sell him. I wouldn't sell him for any less than United bought him for though. Ferdinand is a mercenary, anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

There are plenty of other players out there who are in the game for success and not just money. Rio still owes us 8/9 months wages IMO. So he better play through his skin for the next three or four seasons. Then I'll be happy with him.

Well I don't really care if he is a mercenary, he is a quality player.
    He might not have the defensive skill of Bruce or Pallister, although to call Rio a mercenary compared is a bit harsh, but he is an incredibly good distributer of the all.
    Quality player, and committment is not where his skill lies, it lies in his reading of the game.
    He ain't a Terry defender, that can be Heinze's job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

So what if he can distribuate the ball incredibly well!!? Every player at this level can do simple passing which is adequete for a defender.
    If he doesn't have the defensive ability for Bruce/Pallister then he isn't fit to play for a club like Utd.
    Reading of the game? How many times have we seen Rio caught ball-watching? 'nuff said.

No its not, all attacks build up from the defense, and he does this great.

Reading of the game? How many times have we seen Rio caught ball-watching? 'nuff said.
    About twice this year? Milan and Everton. Two mistakes a year, not too shabby.

Terry made two mistakes this year, was arguably ball watching, both against United, does that make him ****?

most, but not all attacks. Terry is head and shoulders above Rio, he is everything Rio is not; World class DEFENDER, committed and a leader.

• Advertisement

You see what you did there was highlight two of Terry's best abilities, committment and leadership.
    The fact that Ferdinand is in the same class as Terry without thesee is a testament to his ability.

Also people forget how good Helguara was considered when Makelele was in front of him, Makelele being without a doubt the best protecter of defenses in the entire world.

Does anyone believe that Rio and Terry are in the same class? I mean which would you rather have?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I do. He's an excellent defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if rio was slightly smarter i believe he would be better then terry - Rio has more natural ability then terry. Terry is the smarter player though - his concentration is better and he plays simply, unlike rio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Point about him being unloyal to united...think its to be expected these days agents know that the easiest way to get there player the best possible wages is to have them linked to lots of clubs, rio has never said he wants to leave, infact he has said the opposite. he knows that united need him, he knows he is a quality cb too, whats wrong with him holding out for a contract he is happy with? Roy keane held out for his, i would never question his commitment to the club. If rio is sold, he would only be sold for financial reasons not footballing reasons, selling him would be taking a step back in my opinion. Realistically who could united bring in that would of equal ability to rio? Obviously not terry or cambell or whatever, i cant think of any tbh. Tried and tested cb's. United need to off load the dead wood at the club....bellion, miller, kleberson, p neville, o shea, fortune, saha or smith.

I like the idea of having saha and smith in the squad but to be honest i think i would prefer to have a striker that could realistically challenge rooney and RVN to start then two players who could come on and possibly score etc. With OGS coming back it gives us an extra option up front also, hes our bench player if u ever had one...

(end of rant)

So Park is a definate approach, its even on BBC:
    Manchester United have made an official approach for PSV Eindhoven's Korean midfielder Ji-Sung Park.

"It's true that I have had an offer from Manchester United," said the 24-year-old Korean international.

"(PSV manager) Gus Hiddink may have some effect in making the decision, but his opinion is not absolute."

And PSV spokesman Pedro Salazer-Hewitt admitted: "We want to keep him but the only person who will decide his future is Park."

He added: "We know the system and we know that if another club make an official offer it's a possibility that we will lose the player."

"United have officially asked about Park and the player has been informed. Park first wants to have a word with Guus Hiddink about his future."

Park played in all seven of South Korea's matches at the 2002 World Cup, scoring the only goal in his team's win over Portugal with a left-foot volley.

He moved to PSV in December 2002 from Japanese club Kyoto Purple Sanga and his current contract expires next summer.

Park was a goalscorer in the Champions League semi-final against AC Milan, which PSV narrowly lost.

If he does move to Old Trafford he will become United's second signing of the summer after 34-year-old Dutch goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar.

Alrighty.
    Looks like United are getting their dealings done right away, not wasting around till the last minute like always, thats nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Looks like Mark Lawrenson was right.

A post I made back in November

B.

I haven't seen much of Park. Do you Utd fans think he's worth getting? Is he a left-winger?

Give youself a pat on the back Bazmo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Oh my, Chelsea and Arsenal must be howling with laughter at the new of van der Saar joining United. The guy was so poor that Juventus were willing to let him go for half nothing (£3M suspected) after signing him the season before for £7M. Hardly inspires confidence does it? What a letdown for Man Yoo fans, especially after being linked to Buffon and Casillas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Oh my, Chelsea and Arsenal must be howling with laughter at the new of van der Saar joining United. The guy was so poor that Juventus were willing to let him go for half nothing (£3M suspected) after signing him the season before for £7M. Hardly inspires confidence does it? What a letdown for Man Yoo fans, especially after being linked to Buffon and Casillas.

WEnt to Juve for 7mil and was sold for 5mil.....I thought he was there for more than one season? 2 at least.....was sold because they paid about 40mil for Buffon(cant remember exact fee)....is rated as one of the top keepers in Europe and has been one of the most consistant in PL for the last few season......I think he is a good buy.....dont think they paid 3mil for him.....heard about a million being bounced around......95 caps for his country and also a Champion League winner....not a bad collection.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

PSV Eindhoven midfielder Park Ji-sung has admitted Manchester United have tabled an offer for his services.

The South Korea star is on international duty but is clearly thinking long and hard about the option of heading to Old Trafford.

PSV want one of the key components of their Dutch Double-winning side to sign a new deal in Eindhoven and Guus Hiddink is viewed as something of a mentor to the 24-year-old having also been his coach at the 2002 World Cup finals.

"It is true that I have had an offer from them [Manchester United]," he told The Korea Times. "Although my agent didn't tell me the details.

"Manager [Guus] Hiddink may have some effect in making the decision but his opinion is not absolute."

South Korea take on Kuwait in a World Cup qualifier on Wednesday but the Asian wide man will make a decision over his future soon afterwards.

If Park does sign for The Red Devils his arrival will help further enhance United's status in the Far East, one of the markets new owner Malcolm Glazer is keen to exploit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Van der Saar is an excellent signing, bags of experience, was recommended by Schemiechel a long time back but of course United fupped up and let Juve take him.

Park - not sure about this one 3m.... could be another flop but in fairness to him he broke his arse against AC Milan.

Rio or Terry - Terry any day, Rio is a fupping ponce, has pace and loads of talent but s too damn lazy and arrogant, you would not see him walking around with a busted face after a challenge, loves himself too much to get into that situation

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If Park does sign for The Red Devils his arrival will help further enhance United's status in the Far East, one of the markets new owner Malcolm Glazer is keen to exploit.
    Think that tells it all about this signing, for the PLC not the team!! FFS !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

may be so but Park is a good player nonetheless

yop, whats good for the PLC is good for the team, they are the same thing :)
    If Park is ****e on the field, but cracks the Asian market, I couldn't give two ****s, as it will mean we can buy 10 ****ing Ronaldinhos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    yop, whats good for the PLC is good for the team, they are the same thing :)
    If Park is ****e on the field, but cracks the Asian market, I couldn't give two ****s, as it will mean we can buy 10 ****ing Ronaldinhos!

oh dear.

You do realise United will no longer be a PLC by the end of June?

Have you ever seen Park play, cause it does not seem so. Park is a very good player, being the most popular asian sportsman is just a bonus imo.

Of course I have seen him play, as I
    he broke his arse against AC Milan.
    BUT we don't need another "tryer" we have them in P Neville, Fletcher, Millar, Kleberson, we need a playmaker aka Kaka, Ronaldino, someone who plays the killer ball, something we have been missing since Beckham left.

If we would release Ronaldo he WOULD be that play maker (he is incredable for Portugal in the free role) - and anyway, creating chances has not been a problem (we took more shots and had more on target then any other team last season) FINISHING has been the problem, though hopefully ruud will look half decent next season. Park is a tireless worker (will help Heinze on the left) unlike Mr. Hands on Hips and he is also a good, quick crosser, which Ruud will love.

Watched Park a couple of times last season playign for PSV and didnt really rate him very highly until the 2 games against Milan....played very well......he is right sided midfielder so I guess Ronaldo would move to the left!!! is a very good crosser of the ball which will help Ruud.....also runs like a mad man so would help Keano with the defence.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

One thing I thought about him is that he gets into some good positions, but then seemed afraid to shoot.

If he took chances he got into the positions and made, then he'd be quality.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Park would be a good buy for them I think, he's a pretty handy player (especially for that price) and United could do with another a winger.

Not so sure about VdS, I think he's a bit overrated. He's been at Fulham for a while now for a reason, he's prone to quite a few howlers and he's well over the wrong side of 30. I'll be surprised if he avoids the post-Schmeichel syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Maybe Fergie could swallow his pride and get Becks back.

I was taking the piss there.

anyone hear a rumour linking us with Ruben Baraja?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but if we were to sell Bellion then 20% of the transfer fee will go to Sunderland

What if they sell him back to Sunderland? :eek:

seansouth wrote:
    What if they sell him back to Sunderland? :eek:

Sunderland wouldnt take him.....a move back to France I think is the only option there and they aint going to get much for him!!

I know.

I was only joking there.

seansouth wrote:
    I know.

I was only joking there.

Was thinking so...... :D

Not sure even a Championship team would buy him now....maybe a loan next season somewhere!!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Was thinking so...... :D

Not sure even a Championship team would buy him now....maybe a loan next season somewhere!!!

Bellion actually improved a lot last season and was hugely impressive for the reserves. his control has gotten better and his shooting has really come on. I think he would be worth a shot down the right, as back up for ronaldo - i think he deserves a chance. A lot of people seem to forget he did a good job for us at the start of the season when we had nobody else.

I reckon he will get a chance this season because we simply are not going to be able to replace him. According to the telegraph today Glazer has informed the board there will be no 20million a year kitty for transfers, instead we have 25million for the next 5 seasons so expect to see a lot more of Rossi, Spector, Pique, Jones, Bellion, Miller ect......

Lets hope we can win something with kids....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

johnor wrote:
    Heinze isnt a great defender but he is a good full back.
    I'm sorry but what league were you watching last season :confused:

Tauren wrote:
    Bellion actually improved a lot last season and was hugely impressive for the reserves. his control has gotten better and his shooting has really come on. I think he would be worth a shot down the right, as back up for ronaldo - i think he deserves a chance. A lot of people seem to forget he did a good job for us at the start of the season when we had nobody else.

I reckon he will get a chance this season because we simply are not going to be able to replace him. According to the telegraph today Glazer has informed the board there will be no 20million a year kitty for transfers, instead we have 25million for the next 5 seasons so expect to see a lot more of Rossi, Spector, Pique, Jones, Bellion, Miller ect......

Yeah but if he cant get into the team would a loan not be a better move for him? if they get Park thats him down the pecking order more....see wat happened to Richardson!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Tauren wrote:

Manchester United have a transfer budget of 25 million for the next five years? Surely that can't be right? If thats true then I really don't think Glazer knows what he's bought into. They need a lot more than that to replace some of the aging players.

David19 wrote:
    Manchester United have a transfer budget of 25 million for the next five years? Surely that can't be right? If thats true then I really don't think Glazer knows what he's bought into. They need a lot more than that to replace some of the aging players.
    i agree - glazer is a complete tool if he thinks we can achieve the required success (to be profitable enough) with less money then West Brom.

Its a rumour with utterly no foundation, compared to the business plan that Glazier gave suggesting 25 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

PHB wrote:
    Its a rumour with utterly no foundation, compared to the business plan that Glazier gave suggesting 25 million

Yeah I presume thats right. Surely he wouldn't be that stupid.

• Advertisement

i certainly hope so but glazer did refuse to give any assurances of transfer spending, and he is not likely to be upset by annoying united fans - he hasn't been so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

United have bid for Vicente turned down

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=283286&cpid=8&CLID=1&lid=&title=United+make+move+for+winger&channel=Premiership

The Premiership giants reportedly lodged their interest in the Spain international but their enquiry met with a cool response from Valencia.

Vicente is purported to be Sir Alex Ferguson's latest transfer target after the Scot started his summer recruitment drive with the capture of Dutch goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar.

But Ferguson has been given no encouragement by Valencia, who are determined to retain the services of the wide man.

The 23-year-old has a further two years remaining on his contract and is rated in the £14 million bracket.

The Che have regularly stated they do not wish to sell Vicente and club president Juan Soler confirmed he had rebuffed an enquiry from Old Trafford.

"A director at the English club called me but Vicente is totally untransferable," Soler told The Sun.

Vicente is also aware of the interest from United but acknowledged he has no yearning to quit the Mestalla for The Premiership.

The winger said: "It's pleasing United are interested but I'm happy at Valencia.

"I know that United are interested in me but I didn't speak to anyone.

"The president informed me about this situation.

"But I'm happy to remain at Valencia because I was born here and it's my home."

Hopefully something will come of this

I didnt think Heinze was a a great defender last year, he makes good challenges but he gives away alot of freekicks and alot of his clearences arent up to standard a few from the CL come to mind. Dont get me wrong i think hes the best left full we've had since denni i just dont think hes the defender denni was. He definitly gives us the agression and attacking power we needed that side but imo when it comes to defending i dont think hes the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

johnor wrote:
    I didnt think Heinze was a a great defender last year, he makes good challenges but he gives away alot of freekicks and alot of his clearences arent up to standard a few from the CL come to mind. Dont get me wrong i think hes the best left full we've had since denni i just dont think hes the defender denni was. He definitly gives us the agression and attacking power we needed that side but imo when it comes to defending i dont think hes the best.

Ha ha. Funniest post I've read in ages.

B.

why? did you not think Heinze gave away alot of freekicks, possesion from clearences, he has been good in the air and defended the majority of the corners we conceded very well. He is what what united need, with his agression and attacking abilities, cant start to compare him to dennis irwin tho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement