Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Transfer Signings + Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

mr_angry wrote:
    How is Woodgate's recovery coming along? I haven't heard anything about him in ages. I'd say Newcastle are still chuckling to themselves though.
    He's on course to make a start to his playing career with Madrid for the start of the coming season, provided he keeps his nose clean.

SteM wrote:
    How much is Walter Samuel on at Real?

This doesn't make economic sense to me tbh. Real wanted to cut his wages but he won't take a cut so they're loaning him out (so they won't get anything for him initially) and eying Ferdinand who will probably cost them £25m-£30m and the guts of £100,000 a week? Or have I picked something up wrong?
    Samuel is on over £100k a week, Owen is on £40k - Madrid more than doubled the offer to Samuel. They made the mistake of matching the basic wage offered to the player by Chelsea, normally they offer a lower wage and bump it up with performance bonuses. However they thought that Samuel would take the money on offer at Chelsea and matched it, even though it was never in doubt that he was going to Madrid. Samuel is better suited to the Serie A, than La Liga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

what about saviola

just heard barca have made him surplus, i reckon he could do well at united...altho where to fit him in i suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Why oh why do people think we need a striker?
    Ruud has catagorically stated that he wants to stay for 2 more years at least, and then return to PSV.
    I havn't seen an ounce of evidence to suggest he wants to leave or that Fergie wants to sell him.
    The guy loves Fergie to bits after the work Fergie did while he was injured.
    ---

Its all about midfield atm, and we have been apparently bidding for Vicente/Joaoquin/Gattutso
    Thats what I want to see.
    After seeing Ballack vs. Australia I'd love to see him in a shirt, but he is clearly on his way to Spain.

I'm happy in the knowledge that Fergie agrees with me :)

---
    Owen:

Whats the story with this whole deal?
    He is not the player type to play in a 4-3-3, doesn't fit into any of the top 3 spots.
    He isn't as good as Ruud, that said, few are.
    He is a ex-Liverpool player.

Is Fergie actually after him?
    I see these reports that we've bid Ruud in exchange for Owen + 15 million?
    Any truth to these rumours anyone know?

saviola isnt out and out really, he tends to sit back a little...nonetheless as you say there isnt much space for him

saw today that guti is trying to make himself available altho his lack of first team action last couple seasons may have affected his once well renowned creative spark

as for vicente, joaquin, gattuso-vicente already said no chance, no way we can pay enough for jaoquin and cant see gattuso leaving milan...im a bit sceptical about any of them(i think its just the press sparking rumours) but would love see any of them natually...

• Advertisement

I dont expect to get any of them, but the fact that we are in the market for a creative midfielder makes me happy.
    I'm sure Fergie will find someone and he'll be great

Man Utd are still in for Juninho (Lyon) as are Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Saw him last night...he is a good player, a bit in the Deco mould. He is suppose to be going relatively cheaply? 5 mil or so? would be a good signing give united the goals they need from midfield for a start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    Why oh why do people think we need a striker?
    Ruud has catagorically stated that he wants to stay for 2 more years at least, and then return to PSV.

"once a blue, always a blue"

or maybe not...

Ok I've heard quite a few stuff on other forums, thought I'd spread the word.

---

Alledgedy United have made a 7 million bid for Jenas.
    I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but he is always graet in FM so maybe :)
    This story seems to be very well sourced, and I'm quite sure we've actually made this bid. Whether we get him or not is unknown.

---

The same source, who seems to have links of sorts, is that Cole is a target for United, and that Cole is actually interested in the move.
    I can't see it happening just because of the price, but apparently the strong English links in the United team have helped Cole in that regard. That said, I really really can't see United shelling out 20 million or whatever it would cost to buy him

---

United are in a tug of war with Real Madrid about Owen.
    Apparently there is talk of either RVN/Ronaldo/Slyvestre going the other way.
    Apparently this will happen after July 31st, when the cash is there.

Samuel leaving apparently has opened up the market for another CB and Slyvestre is greatly sought after apparently by both Real and Barca.

Ronaldo should sign a new contract, and I really can't see Fergie wanting to sell 'United's future', but if Ronnie wants to go then maybe he'll have to. But I think this is untrue.

RVN is as usual imo a made up story, we get it every single summer.

Either way, how much I'd love to see Real Madrid buy Slyvestre, that'd be great. If it got us Owen I wouldn't really care since I don't think he'd make it into the squad tbh. But I guess I'd prefer Owen to Smith.

---

That said, United can just about afford all this signings.

VDS - 3 million
    Jenas - 7 million
    Park - 4 million
    Cole - 20 million
    Owen - Exchange for Slyvestre or Exchange + cash 15 for RVN 20 for Ronaldo[guesses]

So that would come to 34 million

It would also require 4 players sold.
    If Owen was coming in it would be Saha(6?) or Smith(6or more cause hes english)
    That would give us a net of 28

Then the selling of Phil Neville/Kleberson/whoever would give us the extra 3 and we'd be in business.

I'd be happy with that business :)
    Slyvestre/Smith/P Neville out
    Cole/Jenas/Owen in

**smacks myself in the head** dream on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

which Cole? i assume Joe. i'd love him at united and Fergie would love him at united too - - another player fergie wanted and missed out on (twice...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PHB wrote:
    Ok I've heard quite a few stuff on other forums, thought I'd spread the word.

---

Alledgedy United have made a 7 million bid for Jenas.
    I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but he is always graet in FM so maybe :)
    This story seems to be very well sourced, and I'm quite sure we've actually made this bid. Whether we get him or not is unknown.

god i hope not i think hes crap any way

Ashley Cole!

---

Jenas isn't a crap player.
    He has had a bad year, but he showed a lot off potential the previous years, and the guy is still very young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Don't want Ashley Cole at United.

Defo dont want ashley cole, cant see him being a target...heinze will be there next yr there is no need to spend what little money we have on another left back....unless heinze was to be moved into the centre, still id prefer to have heinze left full..

Watch Heinze playing for Argentina in the centre of defense, he is like Terry, total and utter committment, great player. He doesn't like to be left back.
    If Cole was bought, I'm not saying he will be, but if he was, I think we would have the best defense in the country, or at least on level terms with Chelsea.

We'd have the best left back(possibly the two best left backs :))
    Second best RB, although most players disagree with me, but I think Ferreira is the best RB in the world
    Top quality smart CB in Rio
    Total and utter commitment CB in Heinze
    With VDS to give a bit of stability behind the posts.

That that sorta defense, we'd be flying!
    That said, it ain't gona happen :) If it does however, I will be very very happy, despite hating Cole, and anyone who says otherwise is just delusional

PHB wrote:
    Ashley Cole!

---

Jenas isn't a crap player.
    He has had a bad year, but he showed a lot off potential the previous years, and the guy is still very young
    hell no so! good as he is, and i think he is very good, we have heinze for left back, who is damn good himspelf. it would be a very horrible waste of 20million.

Yeh but everybody consistantly btiches about Slyvestre, and how we lack the dedication in the centre, Heinze in the centre, his natural position, would solve this

does he have the positional sense though? I have not seen him play at CB but he does get caught out a lot a LB. Its the positional sense of the second defender that kills us - Rio ends up running all over the place trying to cover and gets caught out himself as a result.

Heinze doesn't have the positional sense of a full back cause hes not a full back, he's a centre back!
    He was rock solid vs. Brazil in the Argentina game, and he made some big key tackles against Adriano and Ronaldinho when they were about to score

• Advertisement

Was that as part of a three man defence? saw him play in the olympics they played with 3 at the back as far as i remember.......he does look good there but i dont know why fergie would risk moving him when he was what they needed at left full...besides i would prefer to spend 20 mil on a centre back then on ashley cole, the guy wrecks my head......pie in the sky cant see him moving to united

Alex Ferguson has had his first run in with the Glazer family. Apparently they are refusing to release money for his planned transfers and are calling in to question his judgement based on previous failed transfers. Top of the Glazer transfer target list is Gattuso of Milan.

What are the odds on Ferguson being the first Premiership manager to leave his job for the coming season?

I'd say very high now!
    Where'd ya hear this from, cause therse a lot of anti-Glaizer propaganda going about, and their way of doing it is making up stuff liek Glazier is going to sell Old Trafford and move cities and stuff.
    Why would he do this when he said he wants to leave football to the pros?
    Also when he has never doing anything like it with Tampa

if the glazers get gattuso that would certainly get them some serious supporter favour...(probably their intention in fairness but still...)

There is no way that Glazier would try to win over public support by bringing in top players against Fergie's wishes.

----

Owen apparentlly in interested:
    Michael Owen could return to England with Manchester United, as his Real Madrid future still seems unclear.

The England international marksman is happy with life in the Spanish capital, but is still being tipped to leave El Santiago Bernebeu after just one season at the club.

Wanderley Luxemburgo is keen on bringing Brazilian starlet Robinho into the club, and that could mean the end for Owen.

Owen is determined to be a success in Madrid, but he may soon be told that he is surplus to requirements by Luxemburgo.

Newcastle United and Arsenal have been mooted as admirers, while former club Liverpool seem cool on the prospect of Owen returning to Anfield.

Arch-rivals Manchester United are now being tipped as the club Owen would return to England to play for, looking for a link-up with international strike partner Wayne Rooney.

Reports in England have suggested that new owner Malcolm Glazer has given Sir Alex Ferguson the go-ahead to bring in Owen to bolster the squad for a renewed Premiership title bid.

Owen's future with Real remains uncertain and club and international team-mate David Beckham added that he was not certain the 25-year-old will still be at the club next year.

"He has had a great season as he has scored a lot of important goals for the team and has the capability of scoring goals," Beckham said.

"If he has chances, he scores. He's very good - but if he will be here next season, I don't know."

Owen also has to weigh up his future with one eye on the World Cup in Germany next year, as sitting on the bench may harm his chances of making a big impact.

However, Sven Goran Eriksson has been happy to pick Owen when he has been available, and the diminutive striker has looked sharp despite his relative lack of action in Spain.

Oh wait, there is nothing at all from Owen or Man Utd to suggest it, just made up stories

More Owen stuff:
    Michael Owen has revealed he wants to join Manchester United. The England striker is starting to accept his Real Madrid career is drawing to a close. And a source close to the former Liverpool star, 25, said: "It looks like Real are ready to sell. If that is the case, he has a hankering to play for United. He does realises it wouldn't go down too well with the Anfield fans who used to idolise him but that is something he is prepared to live with. He enjoys partnering Rooney with England and would love to link up with him at club level." A move to Old Trafford would enable Owen to live in his £5 million luxury mansion Lower Soughton Hall in Flintshire with his bride-to-be Louise Bonsall and their two year-old daughter Gemma. United are thought to be closing in on Owen with a £15 million bid – though Real Madrid would like Ruud Van Nistelrooy to be part of an exchange package. But the sale of United striker Louis Saha to Everton is the deal which could open the way for Owen to bolster Sir Alex Ferguson's strike force.

At least, at least thank god, we aren't going to sell Ruud.
    Or maybe the papers realise Ruud isn't going to move, and thus making him part of the story is bad, and will make it less credible.

Very disappointed at the idea of Saha leaving, think he is a quality player, don't like having Smith.
    Although if Owen did join, it'd be RUud Rooney and Owen up front, suggesting a 4-4-2
    Also Smith would definally be sold aswell since Ole and Rossi will be there next year

Also just incase people still think Ruud is going somewhere:
    "There is no question I want to stay," emphasised van Nistelrooy.

"I'm committed to United and that is where I want to be and where I will be.

"It's the most important thing for me.

"For me, it was a season of injuries. I only played 27 games but I scored 16 goals and, if you look at it like that, it's not too bad.

"But at clubs like United you are pushed to do an impossible number of games and, for a player, it is becoming physically impossible without rest.

"Overall, it wasn't my best season and everyone knows that. I know that myself.

"I was rushed back too quickly and now I am struggling and it is a bit of a disappointment."

Van Nistelrooy is due to feature in Holland's double-header with Romania and Finland but is already looking ahead to next Premiership campaign.

"Next season will be different," he warned. "Especially with the squad we have."

---

Park deal is off probably:
    Manchester United United have been told they will have to treble their valuation if they expect PSV Eindhoven to part with midfielder Park Ji-Sung. Sir Alex Ferguson feels Park is the kind of dynamic midfielder to help United return to the summit of English football. But PSV are adamant that their South Korean star does not have a £3million get-out clause and rate him in the £9m class. Rob Westerhof, the PSV president, said: "If United think they can have Park cheaply they are wrong. We categorically deny he has a clause in his contract that allows him to go for a small fee. We demand the highest price and we've every reason to demand a mega figure."

About time United told people to **** off, we'll get someone else.
    Hopefully he won't sign a new deal and we'll take him on a free next year, teach people that United won't be pushed around in the transfer market!
    Although....
    Staff reporter, Sunday Mirror

Park contract agreeed:
    PSV Eindhoven midfielder Park Ji-sung has reportedly agreed a four-year deal with Manchester United.

The South Korean international has been expected to move to Old Trafford for some time, but the deal had stalled over a fee.

PSV are determined to get as much as possible for Park, especially as they believe United will profit from his high profile in the Asian market.

Despite the failure to agree on a fee, United have still been allowed to talk with the player, and reports in Holland say that he has now agreed on a four-year deal with The Red Devils.

The 24-year-old has a year left on his current PSV contract and a fee of around €7 million is expected to be agreed upon soon in order to allow him to join Sir Alex Ferguson's men.

PSV have already warned United that they will not get Park on the cheap and his apparent agreement on a contract suggests that a deal is close between the two clubs.

"If United think they can have Park cheaply, they are wrong," warned PSV president Rob Westerhof.

"We demand the highest price and we've every reason to demand a mega figure."

Looks like he is on his way, but a price yet to be agreed.
    Surely this puts PSV at a strong disadvantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i wonder is any body looking into the brazilian Cuchiano number 13 on tonights game, brazil versus mexico

hes quite good

who does he play for

PHB wrote:
    I'd say very high now!
    Where'd ya hear this from, cause therse a lot of anti-Glaizer propaganda going about, and their way of doing it is making up stuff liek Glazier is going to sell Old Trafford and move cities and stuff.
    The person that I heard it from is a football agent.

Yeh.
    I'm very distrustful of any story comign out of United or about United atm, cause there are so many people and agents with different agendas trying to get stories put out.

p.s. I swear to god that the sun is copying and pasting their stories from United fan forums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Sorry about this but;
    From bbc re: Park.

The 24-year-old midfielder said earlier this week that he was unsure whether he wanted to leave the Dutch champions.

He cited his close relationship with coach Guus Hiddink, who led South Korea to the 2002 World Cup semi-finals.

But his representative Kim Jung-Il said: "Park has made up his mind to join Manchester United and the president of our company informed PSV."

Does anyone else notice a fairly brutal mistake in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

park seems like a bit of a poor mans freddie ljungberg from what i've seen of him. not the kinda player i'd be looking for if i was at man yoo, someone in the mold of a pirlo is what is needed there so give some presence to their midfield. not a snowballs chance in hell of pirlo going there though :D

if theres any truth to the owen rumours i think they're looking to the wrong department. if united dont get themselves a quality creative midfielder during the summer, then i reckon will be another also-ran season for them.

as a liverpool fan i'd actually like to see a more competative utd nxt season, not that want them to win the league of course, but its good to see some utd fans gain an appreciation of how easy it is to lose a grip on dominance like pool did.

el rabitos wrote:
    park seems like a bit of a poor mans freddie ljungberg from what i've seen of him. not the kinda player i'd be looking for if i was at man yoo, someone in the mold of a pirlo is what is needed there so give some presence to their midfield. not a snowballs chance in hell of pirlo going there though :D

if theres any truth to the owen rumours i think they're looking to the wrong department. if united dont get themselves a quality creative midfielder during the summer, then i reckon will be another also-ran season for them.

as a liverpool fan i'd actually like to see a more competative utd nxt season, not that want them to win the league of course, but its good to see some utd fans gain an appreciation of how easy it is to lose a grip on dominance like pool did.
    personally, i think in Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney and possibly Rossi we have enough creativity. I think our main prob is DM, I'm sick of being forced to watch a five man midfield because Keane needs his hand held.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

el rabitos wrote:

They are fairly strong rumours with Owen himself reported to have said he wants to join United. I think united should have other targets unless they are getting him on the cheap. Saha is supposed to be on the way out and I suspect that Fergie may be about to cash in on Ruud as well.

According to Richie Partridge, Owen is going to Man Utd if Alex Ferguson can persuade the Glazers to put up the money to buy him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/05/06/22/SOCCER_Man_Utd_Park.html

Manchester United have agreed a fee of around £4million with PSV Eindhoven for Korean midfielder Park Ji-Sung, according to the player's agent.

The 24-year-old will reportedly fly to England on Wednesday to undergo a medical and complete a four-year-deal which will earn him £2million a year.

Park was one of the outstanding performers in the South Korean squad which exceeded all expectations by reaching the World Cup semi-finals in 2002.

He has reproduced those performances with PSV since his arrival in Europe and was a key figure in the Dutch side's run to the Champions League semi-finals last term.

Park, capped 38 times by his country, scored for PSV in their 3-1 semi-final second-leg win over AC Milan, only for the Italian giants to go through on away goals.

He also scored the final goal when South Korea beat Kuwait 4-0 this month and made it to the World Cup finals for the sixth consecutive time.

"The Netherlands' PSV Eindhoven and the English league club reached a deal early in the morning," Park's agency FS Corporation said in a press release.

"The transfer fee for Park was set at six million euros (£3.993million)," quotes the Yonhap News website in Korea, who claim he will be handed the 21 jersey by United, the same number he wore during the last World Cup.

Aside from a goalkeeping vacancy, which has been filled by the arrival of Edwin van der Sar, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has made the purchase of an explosive midfield man one of his major summer priorities.

Park certainly fits that criteria and his energetic style is sure to make him a fans' favourite at Old Trafford.

And while Red Devils' officials will insist his capture is purely based on footballing merit, they are also aware of the player's vast marketing potential.

Although Korea is not on the itinerary of United's hectic pre-season tour to Asia next month, Park's presence on the trip to Hong Kong, China and Japan is hardly likely to be of detriment to their marketing plans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Hmmm... Number 21 was given to Mikel. I wonder does this mean that he will not be signing after all?

Good then, a creative midfielder would complete the package of new signings.
    Then the sale of Saha and Smith to fund the Owen move
    The sale of Slyveste to fund the Ramos(A. Cole :P) move, and ba da bing ba da bamm I'm happy

p.s. Also the signing of Figo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

PHB wrote:
    Good then, a creative midfielder would complete the package of new signings.
    Then the sale of Saha and Smith to fund the Owen move
    The sale of Slyveste to fund the Ramos(A. Cole :P) move, and ba da bing ba da bamm I'm happy

p.s. Also the signing of Figo

Well rumours of Newcastle wanting Fortune which I think would be a good sale.....he was only ever cover for left back/left midfield and they have enough cover now with:

Left Back: Heinze, O'Shea, P Neville,

Left Midfield: Giggs, Ronaldo, Park(can he play there?), Richardson

The list goes on into youth teams but I am not 2 sure who plays there in youth team

we still need a quality DM imo. Unless Jones can make the step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

now i wish the guy well and i really hope he does it for united but i have to say this signing is not filling me with confidence for next year. im getting the feeling this guy could be similar to kleberson, djemba djemba. i mean is he going to be good eough(in fergies eyes) to replace keane, scholes, fletcher or giggs?

i dont think so, therefore im not really sure what the point in signing him is. now i have to admit i havent seen much of him but from what i have i still think the midfield will be exactly the same next year.

• Advertisement

now i wish the guy well and i really hope he does it for united but i have to say this signing is not filling me with confidence for next year. im getting the feeling this guy could be similar to kleberson, djemba djemba. i mean is he going to be good eough(in fergies eyes) to replace keane, scholes, fletcher or giggs?

i dont think so, therefore im not really sure what the point in signing him is. now i have to admit i havent seen much of him but from what i have i still think the midfield will be exactly the same next year.
    imo, he is a winger or attacking midfielder, so replacing Keane or fletcher is not an issue. I don't think he has been signed as a first team player (not straight off anyway).

I feel he will be Ronaldos/Giggs/Rooneys replacement when they are rested. Which is omething we have really lacked over the last two seasons - Giggs and Ronaldo being our only wingers for 2 seasons, now we have a player who can actually provide some competition (especially for giggs)

Exactly.
    We can't play a 4-4-2 not because we don't like it, but because we actually don't have more than 2 wingers, and they are both rarely fit at the same time for some reason.
    This is another winger, and a much needed one.
    That said, I'd rather if Richardson had been given his chance

add rich to the mix we still only have 4 wingers - for 2 positions and 60 games, not exactly overkill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

thats similar to what i was trying to say. he will provide support for the squad which is needed but ultimately for the big games next year the team wont have changed. i really thinks its time for that change at old trafford.

i really hope the "old guard" proves me wrong next year, but i just feel we need a big change in midfield. i would like to see a world class defensive midfielder to come in. the fact that united have only spent 6-7 million so far would suggest that there is one big signing on the way.

Wonder would he consider moving smith into midfield? Think park is a good signing both football wise and business wise. Dunno what to think about owen, if he signs surely its back to 4-4-2, dunno how tat would effect the centre of the midfield, think if we go back to 4-4-2 the priority has to be a quality centre mid, likes of gattuso, viera, stevie g, essien. think juninho would be a great signing if we could get him tons of european expierence....not too keen on bringing in a south american player over, i know there was some talk of an argentinina lad...dunno anything bout him but might find it hard to adapt and it'd be another season of ok lets try again etc. tried and tested players who have played in big european games....i reckon if fergie thinks owen is the way to go he should bolster his midifeld first then offload to get owen....

I would assume the Owen signing is a sign of lack of faith in Saha and Smith.
    Owen's signing isn't a reversal to a 4-4-2, not at all.
    Rooney is being made into a AMC, he's already got the passing and long range shooting ability. His positioning isn't of the Van Nist mould, he is more like Sheringham.
    A 4-3-3 with

Fletcher - Rooney - Keano
    Ronaldo - Van Nist - Owen
    is what I think Fergie is going for

Smith doesn't have the teachnical ability to play for Man Utd in either midfield or up front, its just that simple.
    I like the guy, he gives it his all, but he just isn't good enough. full stop.

id imagine more like

ronaldo keane scholes rooney

owen rvn

rvn and owen both like playing on the defenders shoulder....cant see either being happy being rotated constantly....the two will want to be central surely?

hard to tell what hes thinking but surely rooney has to be moved into a central position soon?

without dropping ruud, there is simpy now way of fitting owen into the united side without making it terribly weak defensively.

thats what i think, he needs to strengthen behind the front before he strenghtens the front....solskjaer back, ruud in fitness, smith is still decent and will get 10 goals from 25/30 apperences i reckon with right sevice from midfield. Saha is still a good player for premiership and not too shabby as a 2nd/3rd striker. midfield has to be priority.....scholes needs competition and keane needs someone he can mould and someone to replace him when he goes. Dont see park being a long term giggs replacement, even tho rooney does have all the atributes of a am i still fancy him as a striker droppin off....

Deportivo star Jorge Andrade has revealed that Newcastle have made an offer for his services, although if he moves to The Premiership his preference would be Manchester United.

The classy Portuguese defender has long been a target for The Magpies, and Graeme Souness had a bid turned down in January by the Liga side as they were keen to hold onto their star stopper whilst struggling in the league.

However, with the Spanish season completed, Souness appears to have reignited his interest in the former Porto star.

Newcastle are keen to overhaul their squad following a season marred by unimpressive form and public rifts, and have identified the defence as a key area that requires reshaping if they are to sustain a challenge for the top places in The Premiership.

Andy O'Brien and Aaron Hughes have already departed for pastures new whilst Souness has been heavily linked with a move for Hamburg star, and former Manchester City loanee, Daniel van Buyten.

However their attempt to recruit Andrade could fall on deaf ears after the 27-year-old shrugged off interest from The Magpies and voiced his desire to move to Old Trafford to join the ranks of the eight-time Premiership winners.

"I have a proposition from Newcastle via my club but my preferred English club is Manchester United," Andrade told The Daily Star.

"To that club I would go with my eyes closed because it represents everything a player dreams about.

"To play for a legend like Sir Alex Ferguson must be something special.

"English football is famous for being hard but I have played against several clubs and the England team and always I have left alive and played well."

The only thing I remember out him is the own goal against Liverpool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement