Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Transfer Signings + Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

he is a very good defender, and would improve what was a very good defence last year. He is a strong commited CB, and would compliment Rio very well. I think he is too young though - because i feel if fergie does by a CB it will be someone who is 30+, a stop gap til Pique and Spector mature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If he was to buy another CB, to replace Slyvestre, it would have to be someone with a hell of a lot of pace.
    Rio is fast, but he isn't Henry fast like Slyvestre is.
    Is this guy fast?

PHB wrote:
    If he was to buy another CB, to replace Slyvestre, it would have to be someone with a hell of a lot of pace.
    Rio is fast, but he isn't Henry fast like Slyvestre is.
    Is this guy fast?
    not that i remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Andrade is v.pacy, no probs keeping up with Eto'o in la liga. Would be a good signing if we got him at a reasonable price.

Some great news today imo :)
    Manchester United assistant manager Carlos Queiroz has insisted the club are not interested in signing Real Madrid striker Michael Owen.

Speculation in England has been rife regarding Owen's situation in the Spanish capital, with all the talk suggesting a return to The Premiership could be on the cards.

The 25-year-old has always said he is determined to be a success at El Santiago Bernabeu, but that has not been enough to extinguish speculation over his future.

Although Chelsea have been linked, Sir Alex Ferguson's United have been the side most commonly associated with the England marksman.

However, Ferguson's assistant Queiroz has dismissed talk of Owen moving to Old Trafford, saying he was not in their plans.

Queiroz was asked by Radio Marca about both Owen and Real team-mate Iker Casillas, but he dismissed both links.

"I admire Casillas but he is not in the plans of Manchester United," said Queiroz. "Owen does not interest us either."

Queiroz was also keen to quash talks of Cristiano Ronaldo moving in the opposite direction and joining Wanderely Luxemburgo's side.

Ronaldo still has three years left on his Red Devils contract and is thought to want an improved deal, but Queiroz insisted Madrid had not been in touch over a move.

"Real Madrid have not contacted Manchester about Cristiano Ronaldo," added former Real coach Queiroz.

No Owen move.
    No possibility of a Ronaldo to Real move.
    That makes my day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

also saw on that interview on the paper and he commented on figo, he said he is an excellent player who still has lot to offer. although it certainly doesnt mean figo will come to united, but it certainly doesnt rule it out either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

PHB wrote:
    No Owen move.
    No possibility of a Ronaldo to Real move.
    That makes my day :)

AGREED!!

As for Figo, please no! The guy is a has been and a cheat. Wouldn't do anything for United. I'd like to see a quality centre back and possibly a centre mid (possibly no longer a problem with Park's capture). If Solskjaer is back and at his best - questionable due to his age and time away from the game - then a striker is hardly needed. Even if Saha were to disappear, I still think Sith is a great back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

doc

you are so right,figo is and always will be a cheat ffs.He is over the hill too and his downright petulance on and off the field has overshadowed his football achievements imo.

As for what we need,i think definately a centre half of a standard that rio and said person can build a pallister/bruce-esque partnership...

And its probably been done to death but why oh why isnt shay given on the books instead of van der sar???

oh yeah and one other thing,Fletcher isnt up to standard in my opinion but i'm happy to give him ONE more season to prove me wrong..

dan

Next season will be Fletcher's season, I promise you this.
    Next year he is going to announce himself to the world like Beckham did when he scored that half-way game.
    ---
    Slyvestre is a good player, I think his mistakes have been highlighted by the lack of respect for the keepers.
    ---
    Figo is a world class player on a free, whats the worst that can happen? He doesn't get his game. Why not?
    ---
    Other United forums, most people don't rate Given, want to know why? Its because his preformances that have made us rate him so highly tend to be in the in internationals, and not in the newcastle shirt.
    Also he would
    A. Cost too much.
    B. Is old but not too old, thus he wouldn inhibit Howards development, unlike Van Der Saar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

PHB wrote:
    Figo is a world class player on a free, whats the worst that can happen?

Well we could end up paying him a small fortune every week while his presence stunts Ronaldo's development and unbalances the dressing room. That sounds like the worst that could happen.

Well first off, the wages thing isn't an issue.
    We pay Phil Neville 60 grand a week, so I think we can afford to pay Figo 80 grand a week for a year.
    Secondly, how would he stunt Ronaldo?
    Young players need to be protected and given rests, also Ronaldo learning from who probably was his ideal his entire childhood might not be too bad either.
    I'd love for Ronaldo to learn to cross like Figo can.

PHB wrote:
    Well first off, the wages thing isn't an issue.
    We pay Phil Neville 60 grand a week, so I think we can afford to pay Figo 80 grand a week for a year.

We set up Nevilles contract when we were cash rich - we're not now. The players that we bring in this summer will have to COUNT, we can't afford any €80,000 a week 'failures'. I'm not saying that Figo would be a failure, just not the obvious risk free success that you are suggesting he would be.
    PHB wrote:
    Secondly, how would he stunt Ronaldo?
    Young players need to be protected and given rests, also Ronaldo learning from who probably was his ideal his entire childhood might not be too bad either.
    I'd love for Ronaldo to learn to cross like Figo can.

I'd love Ronaldo to leard to cross like Figo but just because they're in the same team that doesn't mean that will happen. This will be Ronaldo's third season with United and if there was ever a season where Fergie has to play him week-in, week-out it's this one. No tournaments this summer means that he should be fresh. He's experienced in the premiership and Europe now and young and talented enough that he can go and torment defences every week.

I don't want to see him given a rest every 3rd or 4th match this year and I certainly don't want to waste €80,000 a week on a player to do that.

Besides it would seem that Park has player right midfield for PSV, Giggs can play there, Rooney can play there too so there's a bit of cover already.

We set up Nevilles contract when we were cash rich - we're not now. The players that we bring in this summer will have to COUNT, we can't afford any €80,000 a week 'failures'. I'm not saying that Figo would be a failure, just not the obvious risk free success that you are suggesting he would be.

I'm sorry, when did we become a poor club?
    We have lots of debt yes, but our operating budget pretty much remains the same in its totality.
    All the debt repayments are coming off profits that we are not currently earning.
    I'd love Ronaldo to leard to cross like Figo but just because they're in the same team that doesn't mean that will happen.

Of course it doesn't. I however think Ronaldo has the ability to cross like Figo, and all he needs to do is learn the right times to do it, and develop his decision making. This can be greatly helped by having somebody of the calibre of Figo.
    He's experienced in the premiership and Europe now and young and talented enough that he can go and torment defences every week.

Young players need to be protected. If Ronaldo is tired, he needs to be given time off. If his games aren't going great, he needs to be allowed to be rested so he can work more in training etc. Squad cover does this.
    I don't want to see him given a rest every 3rd or 4th match this year and I certainly don't want to waste €80,000 a week on a player to do that.

Figo two years ago was the best player in the world.
    He has lost a lot of his fight, but a new challenge could bring out his best again for just one more season.
    Either way who would you rather on the bench?
    Figo or Bellion?
    Cause thats the choices we have right now.

AC Milan are such a quality team because they have their top 11, but behind that they have their old top 11, 3 years on, who when they are needed, they can do a job because they have that ability. United need some more experience on the bench, we don't have that at the moment, as our squad is quite young as a whole, except in the centre of midfield. Figo could give that.

PHB wrote:
    Figo or Bellion?
    Cause thats the choices we have right now.

I think that quote says it all. I'm gonna stop now before I say somethig I regret. :rolleyes:

Of course, why say something..
    Better to remain on a high horse.

What other options did we have this season on the right wing?
    Rooney is a forward, not a winger.
    Fletcher is a CM, not a winger.
    Bellion is a forward, not a winger, but cause of his pace, he was the closest thing we have this year.

Now we have park, but he ain't nowhere near the finished article yet, and I honastly think he is being bought for marketing reasons.

• Advertisement

Sevilla star Julio Baptista has issued a come-and-get-me plea to Premiership clubs eyeing his signature.

The prolific hit-man, who has registered 50 goals in the past two seasons, is reportedly on the summer wish-list of Barcelona and Real Madrid but seems to favour a move to England.

Arsenal and Manchester United are thought to be monitoring Baptista's progress - with the player conceding that he would be keen on either Premiership giant.

Baptista, known as 'The Beast' in Spain, is under contract at Sevilla until 2008 but it is expected his current paymasters may struggle to retain his services for next season.

''I would love to play for a team such as Manchester United or Arsenal,'' said Baptista.

''I have made up my mind that I want to go to England.

''It wouldn't just be a financial decision.

''The league there is the best in the world and my style of play would suit it.

''I don't feel valued at Sevilla.''

Might be a very good signing, AMC which would be nice, also I like the fact he is called the beast :)

---

The Sun once again makes up a story:

Chelsea have been linked with a sensational move for Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.

The Sun says Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is weighing up a shock bid for Van Nistelrooy after being shutdown on the continent in his bid to bring in a top class striker.

Mourinho has failed with moves for Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o, Inter Milan hitman Adriano and AC Milan's European Footballer of the Year Andriy Shevchenko. Juventus also revealed they turned down a Chelsea bid for David Trezeguet last week.

Van Nistelrooy wants out at Manchester United and hopes to join Real. But Mourinho might have more luck with the Dutchman than he has with some of his other targets.

I'm really starting to hate that paper.

---

Essien rumours still flying around
    With Saha being linked in an exchange deal

Seems like crap to me

---

Seems like the stories are dying down during the takeover

Things are starting to move now, with Glaziers business just about over, the rumours have started flying again:

In:

Baptista

Manchester United and Arsenal are being linked with a bid for 'The Beast'. Seville's Brazilian attacking midfielder Julio Baptista is also being chased by both Real Madrid and Barcelona. United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has studied videos of the man who has been dubbed 'The Beast' in Spain and had him watched by scouts three times last season. But Wenger is understood to have already spoken with Baptista's agent, Juan Figer. "We're not going to sign a new deal with Seville," said Figer. "We gave them some time to come up with an offer, and they haven't produced one. Now we are on to something else."

It seems like he is leaving.
    To either Arsenal some Spanish club or United.
    I dont know if United have made a bid or are even interested, but if they are, they better get in there quick.
    If he could play in a scholes type role I'd be happy, the guy is hugely versetile, playing in anywhere in the middle of the park.
    Seems like he is gona be good, but if he plays as a big power foward, he'd be wasted cause we've got Ruud.

Miguel
    Manchester United could use Brazilian Kleberson to help them land Benfica defender 'Miguel' Monteiro. United are currently training in Portugal and Kleberson has caught the eye of new Benfica boss Ronald Koeman. United have told the Portuguese club that they are interested in a loan deal and will push for a straight transfer. And Sir Alex Ferguson and his assistant Carlos Queiroz are considering pushing for an option on highly-rated Miguel. The Portuguese right-back is a converted right winger. Fergie is looking for a long-term alternative to Gary Neville and he and Queiroz fancy the 25-year-old.

But he later refuted suggestions he wants to leave.

Out:

Ruud

Ruud rumours have finally started drying up as usual, the Sun have gotten bored and realised nobody believes them anymore

Smith
    Newcastle have made Alan Smith their No.1 transfer target as the pressure mounts on manager Graeme Souness to bring in new signings. Souness is poised to test Manchester United's determination to keep Smith with a £7million bid. Newcastle are desperate to bring in a proven goal-scorer and Souness believes Smith's aggressive style would make him the ideal partner for Alan Shearer and a favourite with the St James' Park fans. The former Leeds striker insists he is happy at Old Trafford despite only starting half their games last season. But he knows he needs to be playing regular Premiership football to boost his World Cup prospects.

I'd be very happy if this happens, don't rate Smith myself, but hes a nice guy, deserves to get regular football.

Saha
    Moyes seals Saha loan
    Manchester United striker Louis Saha is heading to Everton on a one-year loan deal. The injury-plagued Frenchman is eager to revive his flagging career after 18 months of Old Trafford misery. And Everton boss David Moyes is convinced Saha can spearhead his team’s Champions League challenge.

Source is the sun though, so I wouldn't expect anything.
    It would however be a fantastic signing for Everton, and it'd be good for United as he could get his form back and hopefully then return to Man Utd with the confidence he needs to succedd.

But there are other stories with him being used in a link deal with Essien
    Saha is bait for Essien
    Louis Saha is the possible makeweight in a Manchester United swoop for Lyon's Michael Essien. United recently refused Fulham's request to take back Saha on a 12-month loan. And the latest word from inside Old Trafford is that the striker will be returning to France - if a swap for the £20m-valued midfielder can be agreed.

Kleberson:
    Brazilan midfielder Kleberson admits a transfer to Benfica is a viable option, but insists that his main aim is just to return to first-team action.

After two injury-punctuated seasons at Old Trafford, the tabloids continue to link the 26-year-old with a move - and the Portuguese champions rumoured to be interested.

Kleberson told the Daily Star: "I just want to get over the injury problems I had last season. I have a contract with Manchester United and that's all I know.

"But Benfica are a big club. They are the Portuguese champions and they are in the Champions League.

"If I had to leave United they would be a good option for me. I just want to play first-team football."

Benfica boss Ronald Koeman said: "Things are still at an early stage but Kleberson is certainly a quality player that we would welcome here."

I'll be annoyed if this happens, I really like Kleberson.

---

Still waiting for that big midfield signing :/
    Don't know if its gona happen
    I have however heard rumours for a somehwat reputable source that we are strongly looking at D'Allesandro, which would be a fantastic buy imo, I'd really like him at UNited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I would like to see Baptista at United, I think he is a fantastic player.

Thanks for the catch up PHB.

I'd love to see the beast at OT, he'd be a quality signing, from what i've seen he'd suit the prem. 30 odd goals in la liga in 2 seasons from cm is a fairly deacent return.

As for miguel, while I rate him highly I don't think we need him just yet. We already have super gaz neville with pip and the browner as cover. In a couple of years we should have that Rincon lad coming through who is rated highly, though it remains to be seen how well he'll do at lisbon.

As for selling Saha, in spite of his injuries, I still rate him higher than smudger and imho he's the only one of our four main strikers who seems to be capable of a developing a partnership with another striker. We've seen flashes of himself + Ruud and himself + Rooney which are quite promising. It'd be a shame to see him leave, though a part exchange for essien would be tempting.

I like smith, his passion and determination are qualities we've been lacking for the past few years, but if one of the four has to go, I'm afraid it's him.

Also don't forget that we also have Pique coming up through the ranks aswell. I can see Rincon and Pique playing some first team action some time this year. Possibly the Carling Cup.

• Advertisement

AFAIK, Rincon will be at Sporting Lisbon until he gets approved for a work permit and won't play for utd for another year or two.

There are some quality defenders coming through alright, spector, bardsley, mcshane, pique.

Should hopefully see pique and hopefully rossi get some action this year.

AFAIK, Rincon will be at Sporting Lisbon until he gets approved for a work permit and won't play for utd for another year or two.

There are some quality defenders coming through alright, spector, bardsley, mcshane, pique.

Should hopefully see pique and hopefully rossi get some action this year.

Some info about Rincon
    The ex-captain of the Brazilian U-17 side was the maiden product, of the partnership agreement etched between Manchester United and São Paulo. The Red Devils sealed the move in 2003, much to the teenager's surprise; "I was on the beach when I was asked to report to the club, because Manchester United wanted me," he revealed. "I thought it was a joke but I'm accustomed to the idea now," added the powerfully built youngster.

The English giants initially agreed to allow Rincón, to continue his development at the renowned São Paulo youth academy, for three years. Twelve months short of this expiration period, United retracted on its decision, in order to accelerate the player's switch to Sporting Lisbon - one of the its principal feeder clubs. "It is best to give him the push in his career," commented United's academy chief, Les Kershaw, after São Paulo was instructed to release him.

Rincón – whose contract with the Old Trafford outfit is due to expire in 2010 (a two-year extension option was included) – will be registered as a Sporting Lisbon player for the start of the 2005/06 season, and is keen on making a swift first-team breakthrough at the José Alvalade Stadium. Although he is capable of operating in a number of positions, including central defence and midfield, the position that he has occupied with most frequency during his amateur career, is the left wing-back one.

Although he is keen to make an impact in the Portuguese SuperLiga, it's in Northern England that Rincón sees his long-term future. "I really like the English language and have been learning it for some time now. I have watched Manchester United on television many times and have seen Silvestre, Ferdinand, Van Nistelrooy and others. It's a good team but I want to make the first team there as soon as possible."

Rincó was so nicknamed, because of a physical resemblance to Colombian legend Freddy Rincón – ironically, a former star of São Paulo's state rivals, Corinthians. Tall and muscular, the youngster's brawn serves him well, but equally eye-catching, is his explosive speed and unflagging raids down the left flank. His position as captain of the Seleção's under-17 side, was reflective of his inspirational personality and the respect that he commands amongst his team-mates.

There is no doubt that Rincó is one of Brazilian football's best regarded emerging talents, and many experts believe he will go all the way. If his own expectancies are anything to go by, then he has a big future in football. In a testament to his incredible self-belief, the 18-year-old already has designs on Roberto Carlos' place in the full Brazilian National Team! "I want to defend Brazil in the World Cup in Germany. If I don't go in 2006, I will make the squad in one of the next ones," he confidently predicted.

don't forget Eban Blake and Jones.

Of the youth players:

Jones is the best prospect
    Rossi second
    Rincon third
    Pique fourth
    Eagles fifth
    atm anyway

Blakes I think will make it if he can comeback from the leg injury.

I look forward to the future of the Man United attack,

RoRoRo

Rooney - Rossi - Ronaldo

The chants make themselves :)

I disagree.

i would put Rossi first, jones second (due to lack of physical strength and having to remove either Keane or Fletcher fromt he middle to get a chance), pique third, spector fourth and i wouldn't imagine Easgles to have any chance of making it with us at this point.

I dont think we need Eagles. We already have a great Right Winger in Ronaldo and we have Fletcher as decent backup.

Youth players:
    Rossi
    Spector
    Pique
    Rincon
    Jones

Its been confirmed in multiple sources that Newcastle made a 7 million bid for Smith, which was rejected.
    Somewhat annoyed about this, but at the same time it means for sure that Fergie isn't buying a striker again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sir Alex Ferguson has been given the green light by the Glazers to make a £17m bid for Lyon midfielder Michael Essien.

That story is in the sun so I wouldn't trust it.
    They also put us with a 4 million transfer cap, a 12 million bid for Owen, an 8 million bid for jenas and a 35 million bid for buffon.
    They'll do anything to sell a story.

PHB wrote:
    That story is in the sun so I wouldn't trust it.
    They also put us with a 4 million transfer cap, a 12 million bid for Owen, an 8 million bid for jenas and a 35 million bid for buffon.
    They'll do anything to sell a story.
    good point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Word has it that Chelsea have had a £26m bid rejected, so unless he's a closet Man Utd fan, I don't see that one coming off.

• Advertisement

Apparently he is a Man United fan.
    His idols are Cantona and Beckham
    He stated like 50 times he wanted to play for United before Chelsea came a calling.

The lyon board seem intent to keep him, and thats fine with me.
    They rejected a 25 million bid for him, thats 25 million sterling.
    25 million sterling could buy Gerrard or it could buy nearly all the world class MC's in the world, I really don't think hes worth it.
    He has been overhyped so much,and he will end up on Chelsea's bench if they buy him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

PHB wrote:
    25 million sterling could buy Gerrard or it could buy nearly all the world class MC's in the world, I really don't think hes worth it.

not for united it couldnt :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Dont think the Utd board will splash out 26+ million (could end up being 30!) for him.

Remember Veron!

I think United would have a better chance of going for Gatusso.

They would get him cheaper than Essien and he is a better player than Essien imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Ya wasnt Gattuso heard saying hed like to play for United after the match against AC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

The only problem with Gattuso is that Italians see playing anywhere outside of Serie A as a step down. He would have problems getting into the starting line up of the national team as well.

I'd love to see it personally, because he's the only player in world football at the moment who could possibly replace Roy Keane.

Ya I suppose he. Does anyone think Keane will move to centre back for his last season or two?

He hates it, utterly hates it.
    That said he is a Terry style defender.
    His pace isn't there though, and I think he wants to stay at the top level as long as possible then quit.

Theres no way that they will spend 26 million on Essien when they could get Joaquin on the same money.
    Lyon are looking for crazy crazy money and United can't afford to pay it and Fergie won't pay it anymore.

Ronaldo and Ferdinand set to sign their contracts. Even tho they have been saying this for a while now

• Advertisement

Ronaldo and Ferdinand set to sign their contracts. Even tho they have been saying this for a while now
    Ronnie HAS signed his contract according to SSN and i wouldn't imagine Rio's will be signed much before christmas, him and his agent want shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

as of this morning it seems gerrard is on his way out

i reckon fergie will bid for him but has 0 chance of signing him...

gsand wrote:
    as of this morning it seems gerrard is on his way out

i reckon fergie will bid for him but has 0 chance of signing him...
    If United do bid for him we will have a massive chance. United will only bid if Gerrard tells us he is interested in coming first(in secret...ssssssshhhh).

Tauren wrote:
    If United do bid for him we will have a massive chance. United will only bid if Gerrard tells us he is interested in coming first(in secret...ssssssshhhh).
    What if Real made a bid? Would he go? Or would he be on the bench like his England team mate for half the season.

Gerrard would be first choice for real, but they have just signed pablo garcia who is similar to gerrard so they may be out of the running, can't rule anything out as far as real are concerned though.

Tauren wrote:
    Gerrard would be first choice for real, but they have just signed pablo garcia who is similar to gerrard so they may be out of the running, can't rule anything out as far as real are concerned though.
    Ya thats what i was thinking and with Robibho too, I dont think Gerrard would be played as much as he should or in the right postiion at Real. Id love to see him at Man U but cant really see him going there

• Advertisement

i love to see Gerrard in a man utd shirt some day

we need this gerrard issue to resolved, if he goes to real, chelsea will go for Essien and we will hopefully go for Maschereno. If he goes to Chelsea we will prob go for Essien (although i would prefer Maschereno as he is more defensive).

Worryingly, we have been linked with a move for Defoe, i really hope it is not true. Gill said there is ONE area we are looking at and if he doesn't mean DM i'm gonna give him a slap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Good article evaluating Roys replacement

http://www.unitedrant.co.uk/archives/2005/07/keane_replaceme.html
    Part 1
    A Replacement For Keane
    Article by Faraz Quereshi on July 3, 2005 01:00 PM

Having recently signed Edwin Van Der Sar from Fulham, Alex Ferguson looks to have finally exorcised the goalkeeping demon, albeit for the short term. That means that in the jigsaw that is the current Manchester United squad, there is one more major piece missing; Roy Keane's successor. Keano was signed in 1993 for a then club record of £3.75m from Nottingham Forest, and has been an outstanding servant to the club since. He has become a pivotal figure in the United side and has epitomised what Manchester United is all about; his drive, determination, passion, and influence are second to none. However, Keane is now approaching the end of his illustrious playing career, having admitted that next season will probably be his last.

So Ferguson needs to find a replacement, and he needs to act fast. Eric Djemba-Djemba was the last player who failed to make the grade, and the feeling now amongst United fans is that a world class defensive midfield player must be signed, in order to solve this problem once and for all. Rant takes a closer look at some of the well known and less celebrated players that could fill Keane's boots:

The Big Four:

Gennaro Gattuso, 27, Italy, AC Milan, £20m+
    The feisty and industrious Italian is widely regarded as the ideal Keane replacement; he is an aggressive, no-nonsense, touch-tackling midfielder and would reinvigorate the United midfield. Aside from his technical ability his work rate is phenomenal; he will give 110% for the full 90 minutes, setting an example for the rest.

'Rino' has been linked with United on numerous occasions - mainly due to the connection with Walter Smith, and his British wife. The player has also expressed his admiration for United. However, the Italy international has a contract at San Siro until 2009, and he is a key member of the Milan side. He seems content, and there is little chance that Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti will want to offload his tenacious tackler, but if United table a big money offer, Gattuso could yet make the switch.

Strengths: Good stamina and a strong tackler. He can read the game well, possesses solid passing skills and also has the ability to create goals.

Suitability: Would be an excellent replacement for Roy Keane, as he can efficiently support the back four as a defensive midfielder, as well as initiate attacking moves. Possesses a fierce shot, similar to that of Paul Scholes.

Availability rating: 2/5

Steven Gerrard, 25, England, Liverpool FC, £30m+

Yes he's a scouser but how we would all like to see him pull on a United shirt! Gerrard is probably England's best all-round midfield player with great vision and indefatigable energy, he is perfect in the tackle and pinpoint with his passing. He has that creativity and eye for goal which mean he scores his fair share - and special ones at that - but at times it seems as if his best form arises when he plays in a more attacking role. The only down side to his game is that he hasn't quite managed to display the consistency that goes with a world class player, but with time on his side, he is only going to get better.

There were doubts during the past season as to whether he would stay at Liverpool, but their recent Champions League achievements mean that Gerrard looks likely to stay put. Even if he moves, the probability of him ending up at Old Trafford is very, very small - the last player to move from Merseyside to Old Trafford was Phil Chisnall, 40 years ago.

Strengths: Potential match winner, not only with his attacking abilities but also his commitment and accuracy when defending and tackling. An all-action midfielder.

Suitability: Can do the job, but may not perform at his best in an entirely defensive position.

Availability rating: 1/5

Michael Essien, 22, Ghana, Lyon, more than £26m

Of the many players touted as Keane replacements, Essien is probably the ideal one. The young Ghanaian combines skill, power and speed, to make him a dynamic and battling midfield player. A player who first burst onto the French scene with SC Bastia, he also starred for Ghana at the 1999 FIFA World Under-17 Championships and was promoted to the full national team whilst still a teenager.

Essien then moved to Lyon and impressed in the central midfield position, with both his athleticism and skill, guiding them to their fourth consecutive French league title. But it wasn't just domestically where Essien shone, it is his performances in the Champions League, which made all the big clubs sit up and take note. The European experiences will undoubtedly be invaluable for him and although Lyon seem determined to hold on to their star man, Chelsea, United, Arsenal, and Real Madrid have already shown an interest.

Chelsea and Real Madrid seem to be furthering their interest, United can, and probably will try and sign Essien, but The Reds simply cannot match the financial clout of Chelsea. The situation will be different if the player himself expresses a desire to join United. Whatever happens, a deal to bring him to Old Trafford now would represent a major coup for Sir Alex and United.

Strengths: Physically strong, hard tackler, precise passer, excellent ball retention, and box-to-box style of play.

Suitability: Would fit in perfectly as Roy Keane's replacement, has all the attributes to succeed and is set to flourish on the big stage. It would be fantastic to have him playing whilst Keane is still in the team, as the young Ghanaian will only become a better player, learning from the legend himself.

Availability rating: 3.5/5

Javier Mascherano, 21, Argentina, River Plate, £8-10m

The immensely talented Argentine is one of South America's biggest stars, and made a huge impact for his country in midfield during the Copa America last year. Since then, he has been called up to the full national side and has 11 caps to his name, which is testament to the maturity he displays at such a young age. He was also a member of the victorious Argentinean team at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

Bringing South Americans to the Premiership is always a gamble; there is a big difference in the style of play of European leagues and South American ones, however, our very own Gabby has already proved that Argies can succeed in England, and Mascherano would be another. He is a 'Heinze style' tough-tackling type of South American, so his game should fit well to the premiership and a defensive midfield role.

A tight-marker and fierce tackler, he is young, gifted, and ambitious, so would represent a quality long term solution for a realistic price. Real Madrid are said to have made an offer for his services last year - but that was turned down, and Chelsea have been strongly linked this summer, along with United, although some reports suggest Brazilian club Corinthians have already acquired Mascherano for $15m through the mysterious MSI sports agency.

Strengths: Excellent at breaking down the opposition's attacks, influential, pinpoint long range passing, physically strong, and has a good temperament.

Suitability: South American players have typically been about attacking prowess and skilful play, not many like to get their hands dirty, but Maschareno is different. He is a midfield dynamo who would add much needed grit and a never say die attitude to the team. Very influential and always makes a difference, this guy can certainly cut it at United.

Availability rating: 4/5 but do Chelsea already have a deal in place for the player?

The Big Four - Conclusion:

With Gattuso and Gerrard looking unlikely to move, and Essien unavailable for anything less than £20m, Mascherano looks to be the best option. Assuming his transfer to Corinthians has not already secretly gone ahead, an offer of around £10m should secure his signature, and with that sort of price tag for a player of Mascherano's quality, Ferguson should not delay.

Part 2
    Further Options - Experienced players:

Ruben Baraja, 30, Spain, Valencia, £5-7m

Spain international Baraja has built himself a reputation as one of the continents finest box-to-box midfielders in recent years, and has once again been integral in his clubs domestic and European successes. His age means he cannot be considered as a long term replacement, but if Ferguson runs out of options, Baraja may be the man to answer his prayers.

He specialises in anchoring the midfield, and has an excellent array of passing, is excellent in the tackle, and is a real box-to-box player - as Keane was in his prime. He thrives when playing alongside an attacking midfielder and chips in with plenty of goals from midfield too.

Strengths: Solid and assured presence in front of the back four, good passing and tackling ability.

Suitability: His age brings his suitability down, but there is a lot of competition for many of the other younger players, so just like the goalkeeping solution, Fergie could acquire Baraja on the cheap for a couple of seasons, giving himself more time and funds to find a long term replacement.

Availability rating: 3/5

Rafael Marquez, 26, Mexico, Barcelona, £5-10m

The Barcelona man has quietly gone about his business with his club but he has been an important player, ably deputising in the absence of Edmilson, Motta, and Gerard and was instrumental in helping Barca win their 17th La Liga title last season.

He can play as a central defender or in a holding midfield role, and he is one of only a handful of Mexicans who has managed to earn his crust outside of South America. The Mexican captain would be a versatile addition to the squad, and he is a player who is capable of injecting the energy and enthusiasm that a midfield holding player would require. Another very good ball-winner, he instigates many attacking moves using his neat control and excellent passing qualities, and is always in the right place at the right time, dealing with dangerous situations confidently.

He is now at the top of his game, and is once again performing admirably for his country at the Confederations Cup being held in Germany, where Mexico have already defeated Japan and world champions Brazil.

He may be relatively unknown, but has plenty of top level experience, having lifted the Confederations Cup with Mexico in '99 and the French title with Monaco in 2000.

Although he has played in his fair share of matches for Barca, their acquisition of Mark Van Bommel means he will drop further down the pecking order and will not be too happy to remain a backup player. With the World Cup looming, he may seek regular first team football elsewhere.

Strengths: Mature, solid, calm, good leader, and tremendously gifted.

Suitability: A class act that may not be too difficult to sign. Admittedly, it could be classed as a gamble, but with the experience and talent Marquez has, something would have to go seriously wrong for him not to impress at United.

Availability rating: 4/5

Simone Perrotta, 28, Italy, AS Roma, £5-10m

Born in England, Perrotta moved to Italy at a very young age rising through the ranks at Reggina where he began his path to success. An intelligent performer through midfield, he doesn't possess the sublime skills of his international colleagues but is an important cog such is his energy, tackling ability and will to win. He would prove very useful in the United midfield, covering the back four and controlling the midfield. However, having only signed for Roma last summer, it is unlikely that he or his club could be persuaded to make the move.

Strengths: Energy, tackling, discpline.

Suitability: A less celebrated name but an international all the same. He has progressed well in recent seasons but looks unlikely to move on again this summer.

Availability rating: 2/5

Michael Ballack, 29, Bayern Munich, Germany, £15m

The German midfield general is the type of player who reminds one of the footballing phrase "form is temporary but class is permanent". He is Bayern and Germany's most influential player without doubt, having that ability to control a match from start to finish.

The 2002 German Player of the Year has performed on the highest of stages against the best of opposition and always come out on top. Before he moved to Munich, his goals for Bayer Leverkusen helped them reach the final of the 01/02 Champions League, and in 2002 he scored three vital goals for his country at the World Cup in Korea including the winner in the semi final against the hosts. He is a strong runner, two-footed and vastly experienced.

At 29, he is reaching the end of his peak but still has at least a couple of years of world class football left in him and his experiences with Bayern have definitely added strength, steel, and determination to his game.

His undoubted class has once again been on display during the 04/05 Bundesliga campaign where Bayern have retained their domestic league title, and also during the ongoing Confederations Cup where his most notable performance came during the loss to World Champions Brazil - he was by far the difference between the two sides. He has increasingly played in a deeper role for club and country.

Strengths: Dynamic, inventive, inspirational, great vision and skill, free-scoring and a good tackler.

Suitability: Ballack would certainly add the class, influence, and invention required in the United engine room. He would not represent a long term solution but his experience will make the world of difference especially in the Champions League. His contract expires next June so if he doesn't want to sign a new deal, Bayern will look to cash in, which could mean a cut price deal.

Hot Prospects:

Rio Mavuba, 21, France, Bordeaux, £12m

The young French starlet has frequently been spoken about as a player very much in the mould of Patrick Vieira and Roy Keane, and is France's hottest prospect. The promising youngster only made his debut for Bordeaux in January of last year, but his sensational form in Ligue 1 saw him rise to prominence and earned him a call up to the France squad.

Mavuba has good all-round skills, technical ability and is a fantastic ball-winner with a good engine. He has the potential to become one of the world's best defensive midfielders in the years to come, and he will be considering his future this summer - probably moving to a big European club. He is apparently a long-time target for Ferguson, but like many of the world’s best talent, has a long list of admirers including Arsenal, Chelsea, Juventus and Real Madrid.

Strengths: Positioning, energy, and ball-winning ability.

Suitability: Has undoubted ability but lacking experience due to his age, a season alongside Keano would do him the world of good but he wouldn't be the big name signing many fans would like to see.

Julio Baptista, 24, FC Seville, Brazil, £10-12m

Nicknamed "The Beast", Baptista is not your typical Brazilian; in fact he's virtually the opposite. He has earned a reputation in La Liga as a player with a very uncompromising style of play, helped by his strong physical build. He seems perfectly fit for a defensive midfield role and did start off in that position for Brazil and Sao Paulo but since his move to Seville, he has been utilised in a more forward role and has adapted extremely well. Baptista notched up 50 goals in two seasons at Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan propelling Seville to 6th place in La Liga. Despite Baptista's success as a striker his technical ability combined with his physical attributes and no-nonsense game would allow him to return to a defensive midfield role with his goal scoring ability an added bonus.

Strengths: Very strong, good ball control, strong in the air, good passing.

Suitability: A lot of the time, players from other leagues fail to adjust to the physical nature and pace of The Premiership. However, Baptista's game would actually be suited to the English game so there is no question whether or not he will be a success. He's also young and very energetic which should put him high on Ferguson's wanted list this summer, more so since his agent has admitted he will certainly be leaving Seville to "move abroad" and the man himself has stated a desire to play with the Red Devils.

Availability rating: 5/5

Jermaine Jenas, 22, Newcastle United, England, £7m

Jenas didn't really have a productive past season with the Magpies but he undoubtedly has the talent to be one of the best midfielders in Europe. He proved that argument by picking up the PFA Young Player of the Year in 2003 when he had an outstanding season at Newcastle and in the same year made his debut for England. Comfortable on the ball, he looks increasingly at home at the top level but needs to be playing top level football regularly. That situation seems to have been put under threat with the arrivals of Scott Parker and Emre at Newcastle.

Jenas is a star in the making and would fit in well with Ferguson's plans for his future team, especially because he is English.

Strengths: Elegant, athletic, confident on the ball, good movement and can competently protect the back four as well as make surging runs forward.

Suitability: Very, very talented young player who we should have signed before Newcastle did. Jenas does lack experience and could be a bit of a risk in big games but he has to be given his chance to prove his worth. Having said that, he has done so well at both Forest and Newcastle that playing alongside world class players like Ruud, Rooney, Ronaldo and Keane would flourish.

Availability rating: 3/5

Part 3
    Conclusion:

Many of the players mentioned have some of those chore characteristics that make a quality defensive midfielder, namely strength, power, energy, good tackling and ball retention, and effectiveness in both the attacking and defensive departments. These are the basic attributes that a potential replacement must be good at in order to take over the mantle from Keano.

United were never going to have vast amounts of transfer funds to spend this summer - with the purchase of Wayne Rooney last summer, and now the Glazer saga, but there are reports the American tycoon has given Ferguson a £20m transfer kitty, albeit from his vast borrowings. Nevertheless, with other areas of the squad also to be reinforced, Ferguson will need to spend wisely for this summer could be his last chance to find a Roy Keane replacement. If he picks any one of the above players, the job will be done. But the choice is not easy and there are many factors to consider.

• Advertisement
Advertisement