Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Transfer Signings + Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I didn't notice any Man Utd Youth players being mentioned in that article :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Maschereno would be my number one choice.

andyman wrote:
    I didn't notice any Man Utd Youth players being mentioned in that article :mad:
    So you have not noticed us linked with Essien or Gattuso, have you been living under a rock? Jenas and Maschereno have also being linked a number of times. Fergie is a known admirer of gerrard as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Me too along with Gerrard

if fergie could beat some discipline into the lad he would be class, we need a defensive DM, and gerrard (although his does have the ability) forgets about his defensive duties a bit too much on occasion.

I have noticed that but we can't just think we can replace a player like Keane so easily. You think the board are going to tolerate United wasting 27-30 mill on Essien and he turns out to be a failure. Whereas you have you have youthful talent and they could be successful. You just don't know but you don't seem to realise that we have the likes of Rossi and Jones coming through the ranks. I personally would like to see Gattuso come to the club but the fear of another Veron strikes me! I'm just saying that the person who wrote this article should have pointed out a couple of up and coming stars as a possible replacement for Keane rather than thinking that we're interested in players and think that we have them. It's not that easy. What if we got no-one on that list of players. What will happen then?

if we get no one on that list we have to put up with two DMs in any big game again. Jones could make it (quite easily imo) but i think he is two years off taking the role. if Keane can last that long (i don't think he can) then fine, i would be happy to see jones playing along side keane for those two years til he can take the role for himself. However, it looks like Jones will be out on loan next season so its unlikely Fergie sees him as an imediate replacement for keane. I think we do need to buy because we don't have anyone of the required class right now - and we need them right now or we will have no hope again this season.

Its definite we need to buy

A poster on Red Issue who is normally reliable says United have booked facilities at Alexandra Hospital for a medical exam on Thursday.

Tauren wrote:
    A poster on Red Issue who is normally reliable says United have booked facilities at Alexandra Hospital for a medical exam on Thursday.
    What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Maschereno? The only place I've seen him mentioned in relation to United is on forums. I've not seen any credible report linking him with United anywhere, I'd love someone to provide me with a link to a credible source for this 'story'. Essien looks like a good player but the talk of 26m for him is crazy - way too much of a gamble. Less money and part exchange for Saha might be the way to go if possible. Can't see Gattuso leaving Milan and we'll never get Gerrard in a million years.

Ballack is a midfielder I would love to see come to United.

I don't get what you don't understand

SteM wrote:
    Maschereno? The only place I've seen him mentioned in relation to United is on forums. I've not seen any credible report linking him with United anywhere, I'd love someone to provide me with a link to a credible source for this 'story'. Essien looks like a good player but the talk of 26m for him is crazy - way too much of a gamble. Less money and part exchange for Saha might be the way to go if possible. Can't see Gattuso leaving Milan and we'll never get Gerrard in a million years.

Ballack is a midfielder I would love to see come to United.
    Ballack is completely unsuitable for waht we need though. He would provide the inspiration and drive we would love, but we would still be left needing a defensive midfielder.

On Sky Sports News just now they said Gerrards agent says talks wont reopen with his contract for Liverpool

Tauren wrote:
    Ballack is completely unsuitable for waht we need though. He would provide the inspiration and drive we would love, but we would still be left needing a defensive midfielder.

Well Ferguson certainly seems to rate Fletcher so I think he'll get a chance in that position this season. Might be worth a try if he can bulk up, it's not like he's much of a threat going forward or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Now that chelsea have made the move for Gerrard (finally), and presuming they get him, that should free the path for Utd to move for Essien.
    However, does anyone not think that replacing scholes is just as important as replacing Keane, as this could be his last season. What would people think about a move for Joe cole, I presume he would'nt be too happy being third choice behind Lampard and gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Theres a reason Joe Cole is behind Lampard and Gerrard, because hes not a CM.
    He is a Ronaldo style player, who is a winger but goes inside a lot.
    Replacing Scholes with Joe Cole would be like replacing Scholes with Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I don't agree. YES he is a natural winger but is quite comfortable as a central midfielder, similar to Scholes.

Along with Rooney and Ronaldo he would give us plenty of options. Hes also got a very high goalscoring record and workrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Actually Joe Cole is a central attacking midfielder and has always been that way. Recently he has been playing on the wing but he always comes inside. When he was at westham, he was anchoring the midfield with Carrick and playing as a defensive midfielder at times (he wasnt very good at it). He was the captain though so he was trying to set an example by being a hard tackling, ball winner.

He is closer to a player like Luis Garcia (when he plays in the middle) in that he operates best in an advanced midfield role. Comparing him to scholes is not that far off, but he is faster/more mobile but also more lightweight than him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

would rather baptista than ballack to be honest. he would be the cheaper one of the 2 to boot

Id prefer Baptista too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

PHB wrote:
    Theres a reason Joe Cole is behind Lampard and Gerrard, because hes not a CM.
    He is a Ronaldo style player, who is a winger but goes inside a lot.
    Replacing Scholes with Joe Cole would be like replacing Scholes with Duff.
    Totally disagree. He very rarely operated on the wing before joining chelsea and even then he had a tendancy to drift inside, more so than ronaldo. He was a Cm with Westham and imo that is his best position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

besty wrote:
    would rather baptista than ballack to be honest. he would be the cheaper one of the 2 to boot

Ballack is on a free next season and says he will prob move to another club!! free as a bird then for Utd!!!

Well i wouldnt mind if he was on a free now alrite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Is there any chance of us getting stevie gerrard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

lol maybe 3% being generous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

gsand wrote:
    lol maybe 3% being generous

Maybe more....wat if Fergie went to Glazier and said...look sign Stevie Gerrard and any problem you have had with fans will be gone!!!!

Just on BBC Radio 1 there that Rick Parry has said Stevie has had a change of mind and wants to stay now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

i would love to see us bring in Baptista or Essien this season. it would be great if we could sign both but dont think we will. which one do you think we are more likely to sign, Baptista or Essien??

Well now that Gerrard ain't moving the dominos ain't gona move, which is annoying and yet again we have to wait for Chelsea/Real to make their move in the transfer market.

• Advertisement

MooShop wrote:
    i would love to see us bring in Baptista or Essien this season. it would be great if we could sign both but dont think we will. which one do you think we are more likely to sign, Baptista or Essien??
    Neither, we don't need a striker and Essien would cost to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Baptista appararently would have problems getting a work permit.

All these players probably aren't going to be signed unless we can get them on the sly without Chelsea's interest being involved.
    We're going to sign someone that nobody has really heard or or though of before, much like Park.
    Then we will hopefully turn them into world class players after spending about 10 million on them and everyone will once again hail Fergie as quite the market man.

p.s.
    Jones is gona be fighting for a midfield place next year, and by god this guy is going to be our captain in 5 years

Tauren wrote:
    Neither, we don't need a striker and Essien would cost to much.
    Baptista's prefered position is DM. He was only recently changed to a more forward role, which in fairness worked out well for him but the majority of his career has been as a holding midfielder.

And Sol Campbel was originally a forward, he found his better position.

Tauren wrote:
    And Sol Campbel was originally a forward, he found his better position.

i think you mean Ashley Cole, he was originally a striker in the Arsenal youth setup. maybe Sol Campbell was too though i never heard of that before

Ashley Cole too, but Campbel was a forward in his early days.

oh ok i didnt know that

Learn something new every day

TBH, I'm actually thinking now we might not sign anybody else at all.

Saha has been told he has a place by Fergie, Saha has said this in the public.
    Thus Van Nist and Saha are going to be playign at the same time.

This could be under a 4-3-3 system with Rooney taking up the other spot, or perhaps a 4-3-3 system with Ronaldo taking up the other spot.
    Then you put Keano/Scholes - Fletcher - Rooney in midfield, making Rooney the AMC and the passer.

The team would thus look like this:

Van Der Saar
    Neville - Rio - Slyvestre - Heinze-
    Keano
    --Fletcher/Scholes - Rooney

Ronaldo - Saha

Van Nist

Thats a team I'd be happy with.
    Park/Giggs providing options for Ronaldo/Saha
    Smith there for options up front
    Kleberson there for Keano's position
    Scholes/Rooney/Fletcher alternating
    Brown + O'Shea as cover.
    Howard as backup goalie

Fortune + P Neville sold on
    With
    Richardson/Rossi/Jones slowly breaking into the squad
    That'd make me happy.
    IF we do buy another CM, it is a sure as hell sign of the 4-4-2 returning, cause Fergie can't keep all these players around for no reason :)

• Advertisement

that team looks horrible! what the hell is rooney doing in CM??

We will sign someone fairly big (or for big cash) before the end of the summer - the Glazers need to prove they are willing to put money into the team, £4million on Park ain't proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Not sure about the truth in this rumour but I think we could do with a new one at this stage. Heard it over at RedCafe

Carlos Marchena from Valencia, £10m, Red Cafe Thread

would be backed up by Rio to Real in SSN

OOOOh look at the little linky

But then at this stage I'm so desperate for any half believable rumour I'd believe anything. Apart from ballack.

Back to the point, does anyone know much about Marchena?

Rooney is playing AML in the diagram. It may not be in the position but thats where he should be. He played on the left a couple times for united. I think, but could be wrong, he played on the left against Newcastle when he scored that cracker of a volley. But i do think Glazers will want to buy one more valuable player before the window closes to show they are commited to the club

Rooney is playing AML in the diagram. It may not be in the position but thats where he should be. He played on the left a couple times for united. I think, but could be wrong, he played on the left against Newcastle when he scored that cracker of a volley. But i do think Glazers will want to buy one more valuable player before the window closes to show they are commited to the club
    With aresenal and chelsea looking to land big name stars int he coming days I think united need to show their mussle in order to appease the fans. We need a Dm and a big name signing would halp the Glaziers settle in.

We need cover for Keano to play along side him and we never know how long himself and Sckoles will last more. Glazers need to whip out the cash book and land some one big for now and maybe the future

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

http://www.football365.com/teams/manchester_united/story_156493.shtml

Rio rejects the latest UTd contract offer. Poor sod he was only offered 100,000 a week.
    Rio Ferdinand has reportedly refused to sign a new contract with ManYoo.

The Independent claims that the England defender 'will definitely not sign the deal on offer from United, which is believed to amount to a salary of £100,000-a-week', with 'with Ferdinand's agent Pini Zahavi declaring that United will have to improve the terms currently on offer.'

"No one is having talks," he said. "There is no need to speak. He has two years
    . There was at some stage an idea [for a new contract] but we could not reach an agreement."

Zahavi, however, insisted that Ferdinand would 'remain' loyal to the club.

"He is loyal to Manchester United and does not want to leave."

Id be surprisde if he leaves but just shows how greedy the current england players are!

Heinze hailed by United fans
    Fri 08 Jul, 10:20 AM

Gabriel Heinze has been voted Manchester United supporters' player of the
    year.

The Argentina full-back edged out Wayne Rooney to become the first
    non-European winner of the award, an achievement even more remarkable because he missed the first month of the season because of international commitments at the Olympics.

A £6.9m arrival from Paris Saint-Germain last summer, Heinze won over the fans with his wholehearted style and though Rooney ended up top scorer in his first season at Old Trafford, it was not enough to oust the 27-year-old from top spot.

Well deserverd IMO. Our defence stabilised when he came in and Ferdinand came back from his pi$$ break, Ferdinand got all the credit of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well deserverd IMO. Our defence stabilised when he came in and Ferdinand came back from his pi$$ break, Ferdinand got all the credit of course.[/QUOTE]

No Surprise to me either. IMO He was Uniteds most consistant defender last season.

He was brilliant last year. Started in the best possible way by scoring in that 2-2 draw against Bolton on his debut.

I hope he can resume that brilliant form next year.

Also, a little off topic but do ye really think Ferdinand took drugs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'd say so. Nout performance enhancing though. Prolly missed the test as he feared testing positive for coke or some **** out with Jody Morris in london a couple of weeks prior.

Advertisement