Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Transfer Signings + Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yeah thats him andyman.

i havent heard of him beofre. after all the suggestions of the park transfer been a "pr" signing i was surprised to hear we had another asian on our books.

anybody else getting worried about the ferdinand situation? although i do think he is a tad over rated i would not like to see him leave. apparently he was offered 135,000 a week (eur/sterling?) and he rejected. i cant see united going much higher.

i have heard he has been offered £100,000 but because United do not pay agent fees for contract renegotiations Pini has him holding out for 20,000 a week more to cover his fee's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ballack seems to be linked to United in every section of the media, and all the forums seem to say that he is in talks with United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i dont like the way ferdinand is holdin out for extra cash. he was out for months when he was banned gettin paid for nothin and now hes lookin for more money.

i was talkin about this with a few mates, does anyone think it would be a good idea to get rid of ferdinand and get woodward?

PHB wrote:
    Ballack seems to be linked to United in every section of the media, and all the forums seem to say that he is in talks with United
    would love to see United sign him (not my ideal signing but i would be happy none-the-less) but i have not heard from anywhere that he is actually in talks with united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

This has been a very Barren Transfer window if I do sayso myself. I though United would try and buy a big name to appease the fans who were against the take over but it seems united are content to let Chelsea and Arsenal improve while we stand by and watch

I know we've sorted out the keeper situation and got a "handyman" in midfield but imo we lack creativity in midfield and protection/cover for Keane. Kleberson should be shown the door, along with the lesser of the Neviles and some quality should be brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Funny One this....

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050717/4/ccwn.html

Mbesuma Sets Sights On United
    Sun 17 Jul, 5:09 PM

New Portsmouth striker Collins Mbesuma could have angered manager Alain Perrin
    by claiming he already has his sights set on a move to Manchester United.

Mbesuma only last week joined Pompey on a three-year deal - subject to a work
    permit - after spurning a switch to Bolton, and with a number of other clubs
    interested in signing the Zambia international.

The 21-year-old scored 35 goals for South African champions Kaizer Chiefs last
    season, including 25 of their 55 in the league en route to them winning the
    title for a second successive year.

Mbesuma, nicknamed 'The Hurricane', eventually blew into Fratton Park, but is
    already looking beyond the south-coast club and to Old Trafford.

"Playing for United has been my childhood dream," said Mbesuma. "I will work
    hard to make an impact in the Premiership to ensure I move on to play for
    United."

Expect him to be signed for Chelsea this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

sprinkles wrote:
    This has been a very Barren Transfer window if I do sayso myself. I though United would try and buy a big name to appease the fans who were against the take over but it seems united are content to let Chelsea and Arsenal improve while we stand by and watch

I know we've sorted out the keeper situation and got a "handyman" in midfield but imo we lack creativity in midfield and protection/cover for Keane. Kleberson should be shown the door, along with the lesser of the Neviles and some quality should be brought in.

yes we havent done much so far in this transfer window. i read on the website that Fergie wants to bring in an experienced player and most people reckon that will be Ballack. im not sure if he's a premiership player. we do need to sign a quality midfielder to give us extra depth.

I see Ferdinand got booed by a section of the travelling United support on their trip to Clyde. Hopefully he'll sign a contract soon so the players can concentrate on getting prpared for the new season and not having this hanging over them and being brought up by the press at every given opportunity

Ballack would be a good signing imo. He's 29 (I think) so he's not going to be a long term solution but he could be what we need to give chelsea a run for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

The_B_Man wrote:
    does anyone think it would be a good idea to get rid of ferdinand and get woodward?

i'm sure you mean woodgate!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

but clive woodward is such a good defender!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

woodgate = mr sicknote

now with arsenal bagging Baptista and Song, Uniteds transfers are starting to look plae in comparison. The only hope is that United are just keping everything quiet ont he transfer front so chelsea don't nip in and ruin it all. Hopefully when Chelsea get Essien we'll see united spring into spending mode.......it's a long shot

when did Arsenal sign Baptista?? thought he was staying in Spain for another year and maybe going to Barcelona??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,045 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Baptista hasn't signed for arsenal. Not only that, but Spurs have put in a bid of more then arsenal's €20mill!! Source: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=292573&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Spurs+in+bid+for+Baptista&channel=football_home

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Baptista hasn't signed for arsenal. Not only that, but Spurs have put in a bid of more then arsenal's €20mill!! Source: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=292573&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Spurs+in+bid+for+Baptista&channel=football_home

thanks for that Rebel, what was sprinkles on about so "now with arsenal bagging Baptista..."

If Spurs could get him, i could see them having a good league run this year, but at this stage a deal for Baptista looks a good bit away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

MooShop wrote:
    when did Arsenal sign Baptista?? thought he was staying in Spain for another year and maybe going to Barcelona??

They haven't signed him yet but are still interested although Spurs have made an offer of £14m for him.

now with arsenal bagging Baptista and Song, Uniteds transfers are starting to look plae in comparison.

Eh, song is an 18 year old promising player who might play a role in 2 years time.
    Maybe you mean the fact they have bought Hleb, but not a new keeper.
    We've solved our keeper problem, they havn't.
    Arsenal scored a huge amount of goals last year, defense is where they lost, and they havn't done anything about that yet.
    Man United have made some strides forward imo this transfer market so far, while I don't think Arsenal have, infact I think they have gone backwards. That said, Wenger still has a nice kitty and I'm sure will go much much further in the market than he has so far. Either way, stop being silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

They haven't got Baptisa, have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

Why are spurs after a striker??? They have defoe keane kanote and mido. they need winger(s) or defender(s) most deffo not strikers

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Any news on all this Ballack speculation? I personally feel he would be an excellent signing for United and would really stir things up in a central midfield which is starting to turn a little stale.

• Advertisement

illumin wrote:
    Why are spurs after a striker??? They have defoe keane kanote and mido. they need winger(s) or defender(s) most deffo not strikers
    To p1ss off their London rivals??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

Devious wrote:
    Any news on all this Ballack speculation? I personally feel he would be an excellent signing for United and would really stir things up in a central midfield which is starting to turn a little stale.

i heard today that inter were interested on trying to get ballack on a free next year,i also heard that both bayern and united are on tours of middle east at same time and that talks would begin there but ballacks agent has been quoted saying"I dont want to get into a big negotiations marathon" or somethign like that.

personally i would love him to arrive at OT asap and get a bit of gelling done with the team before the start of the season

The indo has a nice story on the back page about Ballack and apparently united are planning on sealing the deal when they meet at the end of the month in some friendly competition. Hope its true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

the more i hear this story the more excited i am about ballack. i think he could be a really good addition to the squad. although the midfield might become a bit cramped, i.e. fergie will try to accommodate all the big stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I heard a rumour that John O'Shea was at a Waterford United function last week and was telling people that Ballack was in Manchester to discuss a move. It's probably just waffle but you never know.

sprinkles wrote:
    The indo has a nice story on the back page about Ballack and apparently united are planning on sealing the deal when they meet at the end of the month in some friendly competition. Hope its true!

They're not actually meeting in a friendly but both clubs will be on a tour of the far east later this month (United are flying out on Thursday I believe) and officials from each club could meet then. This was first reported in the Sunday Times at the weekend but you'd have to wonder if there's any truth in it at all or it's just jurnos fitting the report around the facts. Why would 2 european clubs have to wait until they're in the far east before they tlak about the potential transfer of a player?

There is one other thing I'd like to bring up about people feeling United have to sign a defensive midfield player. At the weekend they used Alan Smith in that role in the first half and I think he had a decent game. I think United might be toying with the idea of using him in that position this season, he's certainly aggressive enough and can also get forward and score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:
    Man United have made some strides forward imo this transfer market so far, while I don't think Arsenal have, infact I think they have gone backwards. That said, Wenger still has a nice kitty and I'm sure will go much much further in the market than he has so far. Either way, stop being silly

Couldn't agree more and If united get ballack for midfield and sort out Rio's situation IMO they will lbe a stronger team than they were last season.

As long as nothing controversal happens that will affect results. We will have a good season

I just subscribed to MUTV for the month, so I'm looking forward to seeing the friendly tonight :)
    I think with one more signing we will have progressed hugely, hopefully in midfield.
    I honastly hope that this season Fletcher plays less.
    The reason this is, is because I think he is Keanes replacement, and I want him to play in Keano's position.

My top 11 hopeful next season is.

Van Der Saar

Neville----Rio--Slyvestre--Heinze-

Fletcher
    ---Scholes
    Ballack/X

Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Ruud

With that team, I think we can win the Premiership

• Advertisement

im still very unsure about playing Silvestre as a centre back, he just doesnt convince me. Rooney isnt at his best when he's out on the left either i dont think

Slyvestre has been our best defender since the moment he joined the club. Last season he wasn't great, I grant you that, but he has a huge amount of quality and does much more defending than Rio or any of the other centre backs availible.

p.s.
    I don't care if Rooney is at his best playing out on the left, he is playing out on the left.
    He is one player, and he will have to fit into Fergie's system, which he is doing. Its a team game, and I think him being out on the left is the best thing for the team, and its being done to accomodate both Keano and Ronaldo.
    Keano to keep his influence in the game, and Ronaldo, to allow him to play in his best position, wing forward. Ronaldo is wasted playing as a winger, he has too much class to waste it defending, needs a free reign, and tahts what the 4-3-3 gives him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

IMO Sylvestre is a good player that is prone to make silly mistakes particulaly in the high pressure games. Sorting out the keeper situation and midfield would have been my higest priorites in the closed season. The keeper situation is sorted and if media reports are correct mIdfiled will be too before next season. For now Sylvestre is safe but he may need to be replaced further down the line if he continues to make those silly errors.

PHB, I did the same last season and this season for MUTV :) Did you see the Clyde match at the weekend? What did you think of Sylvestre for his 45 minutes? I thought he looked poor (he was playing with O'Shea) and he ended up making Howard nervous. I think he plays well with Rio but without Rio he can make some really silly mistakes, maybe it's a psychological thing?

how much is MUTV for a month?? wouldnt mind getting it for the friendly matches. does it just get added on to your bill or do you need to pay upfront?? if i get it this evening would i have it in time for the friendly tonight??

MooShop wrote:
    how much is MUTV for a month?? wouldnt mind getting it for the friendly matches. does it just get added on to your bill or do you need to pay upfront?? if i get it this evening would i have it in time for the friendly tonight??

€8 a month, just gets added onto your next bill. I ordered from NTL on Saturday morning and they had it switched on within 10 minutes. The games from the far east are on at odd times to watch live though.

yeah true, but i suppose they will be showing them throughout the day and evening as well as live. thanks for your help SteM, just one more question, do you just call your service provider and they'll put it on. i got Chorus Digital

Yeah, they show the games over and over again. Give Chorus a bell and they should sort you out if they carry it.

McShane set to start tonight. He's one for he future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i heard today that mcshane will be loaned out again this season, apparently to swindon. every man united fan on this thread seems to have high hopes for mcshane, jones, eagles etc. but if you look at other teams around the country their youngsters are in the starting eleven/squad.

are us reds being too optimistic about these players? i realise getting experience on loan is vital for a young player. but we all remember beckahm, scholes, giggs, butt neville x 2 all breaking in very early.

spectors move to charlton is a great move for him. this way he is getting premiership experience and we will know for definite by the end of the season if he is going to make it.

wmj

I have huge huge huge huge huge huge huge huge huge huge hopes for
    Jones and Rossi
    These combined with O'Shea Fletcher Ronaldo and Rooney are the core of United's future.
    With players like McShane, Spector, Richardson, Eagles, Blakes also contributing to the squad, with maybe 2 of them making it as a squad player.

I just watched the 6-0 friendly win, which I really enjoyed.
    Jones was on the ball loads in the first half, and passed it around well, creating maybe 2 half decent chances from a Makelele style position.
    Rossi was great in the second half.
    His assist for Ruuds first goal was absolute class, and once you see it in highlights you'll understand why. Pure skill.
    His goal was also quite impressive.

Ruud got a hatrick. With two of his goals being pure class, his first, which was as I already said sublime, and the third, which was a quality quality finish. His second was typical ruud, just cool and collected.
    Oh yeah, he also had an assist, and set up two great chances for Rossi and Scholes.
    Ronaldo had a poor game, and scored a Brace. Had at most 6 touches of the ball, and scored two goals :)
    Scholes also looked good, setting up I think 2 of the goals.
    Either way, I really really enjoyed that game, and was quite happy to see that Ruud has gotten 5 goals in 90 minutes of pre-season football. I'm sure he'll break a pre-season record now too :)

So Ruud scored 3, Ronaldo 2, who scored the other

Rossi :)

I found out. :) I Sky+'d the match but couldn't be assed watching it so I fast fowarded to the goals

I played against McShane before he went to United. Absolute legend of a defender.

Great to see Rossi get a goal. Was Pique playing?

• Advertisement

register on Soccerpulse.com and go here http://www.soccerpulse.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48840

all the action from the game.

andyman wrote:
    Was Pique playing?

Yeah, he played in the first half alongside Rio with Bardsley and RB and Richardson at LB.

Anyone else think that the O'Shea/McShane partnership in the second half worked better than the O'Shea/Silvestre partnership at the weekend?

No! :)
    McShane is good, as is Pique, but they have quite a bit of development to go yet.
    Rio and Slyvestre are our best CB pairing, and after seeing O'Shea in the middle there, he looked quite impressive.

I've always been of the view that O'Shea is best played cb. He has a good touch and is fairly powerfull. I think he can deal with most forwards in the prem.

Pique and Mcshane are def ones for the future. Great to see a flood of new young talent coming through....but we all know that you never win anything with kids :)

I'm not saying that McShane is the finished article yet but IMO he certainly looked a more solid centre back partner for O'Shea last night than Silvestre did on Saturday! Silvestre made some stupid mistakes on Saturday and that looked to unsettle both Howard and O'Shea. Maybe the mistakes were from rustiness but personally I'm never 100% happy seeing Silvestre play at CB for United unless Rio's beside him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement