Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Transfer Signings + Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

yeah i think Jones, Pique and Rossi and very hot prospects for the future. Hopefully they'll get good experience this season (whether it be on loan or making some appearances for Utd) and next season make a better push for the first team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/LIST.ASP?HLID=292893&CPID=8

Smith can replace Keane
    by Adam Marshall - created on 20 Jul 2005

Sir Alex Ferguson has finally accepted that Alan Smith could be viewed as a
    full-time midfield option, and even a possible replacement for ageing captain
    Roy Keane.

The tigerish former Leeds United striker arrived from Elland Road last summer
    with Ferguson insisting Manchester United only wanted to consider him as an
    out-and-out forward.

Smith started the season brightly when handed the responsibility of leading
    the line but faded from the picture in the latter stages of the campaign and
    did not even get off the bench during the FA Cup final with Arsenal.

The England international played the second half of the 6-0 friendly romp
    against Peterborough United wearing the number four shirt and played in a
    holding midfield role behind Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

Within seconds of his introduction, Smith added an element of aggression to
    the proceedings and his performance had Ferguson purring afterwards as United
    scored all six goals after the break.

"We see a lot of potential for him too," Ferguson told Sky Sports News. "He's
    only 24.

"He's young and obviously it's something we're possibly looking at in terms of
    maybe the replacement for Roy eventually. We keep talking about it.

"You don't get Roy Keanes obviously but Alan Smith is Alan Smith and he brings
    a different type of character than Roy."

With Giuseppe Rossi pressing hard to join in-form Ruud van Nistelrooy, Wayne
    Rooney and Louis Saha in the striking slots, the logical solution for Ferguson
    would be to withdraw Smith to midfield, particularly if he is unsuccessful in
    any attempt to land Bayern Munich's Michael Ballack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

well - midtable mediocracy, here we come. Smith as our new midfield general, what a joke. Who said the Glazers would have us competing for the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fergie likes Smith as a player, hes got grit and determination.
    He isn't good enough to play striker, thus in turn he gets pushed back into our 20 midfield players.
    He won't make it there either, then he'll get sold next season.
    Simple enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

give him a chance in the position at least. He is some great sliding tackler, hard hittin, doesnt foul2much

He however can't pass and will lose the ball too much.
    I like the guy, I'd like him to be sold on so he can play as a striker somewhere else.
    Jones is much better than him, and will break through in that position if Smith/O'Shea/Pip aren't played there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I think he could make it at united as a striker. He's got great determination and he's not too shabby at finishing. He's ther type of player you need up front against a sticky defernce.

In midfield I think he could be a decent prospect. He's still young and would have to adapt to the new position but it shoudl be interesting to see if her does.

Update: Ballack to stay at Bayern???

Germany captain Michael Ballack wants to stay with Bayern Munich for the 2005/06 season and hinted on Wednesday he would like to extend his contract beyond next year.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Looks like Ballack is going to stay for certain.

Bayern in Ballack talks

Ballack makes Bayern vow

I'm afraid now. I think Fergie's 'experienced' signing is going to be mickey owen, with smudger being shunted into midfield. Which I don't think he'd be terrible at, but we need better than 'not terrible at'.

There is no way that Man United are going to buy a striker.
    CQ came out and said 2 weeks ago that Micheal Owen was not a target, full stop. Yet all the papers didn't report it, cause then they would have to stop making up stories.

The signing is going to be in midfield or defense, if it happens.
    People forget how much Fergie rates Saha, who in his mind is still a quality player.
    People forget that Rossi is coming through, and that Fergie also rates him.
    Also that Man United play a 4-3-3
    Van Nist is always going to play.
    Rooney is always going to play
    Ronaldo is always going to play.
    Owen does not fit in this system.
    We do not play a 4-4-2, so stop making up stuff people!

I think the signing will be in midfield, and once its an AMC I don't care who it is, once its somebody.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

I dont think that any of those links state that he will be staying with bayern in a definitive manner...although it is far from certain that he will leave.

man utd have been linked strongly with him again today but i guess the only way we will know is when the two clubs are in japan in a couple of weeks...

i think he wud be a good signing but not for more than 10million sterling given his age and current contract situation

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Hmmm. I would also have serious worries about his wage demands. €10 million according to those links - whats that, about €200k a week?!! Yer 'avin a laff, mate!

Id say he could be offered 100k sterling a week at united-i think thats the current cap they are working under...thats about 140k euro ish? not too shabby anyway lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

We do not play a 4-4-2, so stop making up stuff people!

Yet when Utd play that they play their best imo.

Agreed. It was always their best formation. I still dont understand why Fergie felt he had to change things all of a sudden, it hasn't really been working for the last couple of seasons.

They havn't played that in a year, how can you know.
    Different teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

imo smith isnt good enough to displace any of the starting eleven. but i do like having him around, hes a good player to have coming off the bench. both for his impact and his ability. e.g. in a big game next season if ruud or scholes was injured i wouldnt mind having someone like smith to come on for them, admittedly it could be better but thats not my biggest worry for united.

i actually feel united wont make another signing. when you think fo the injuries we had last season with ruud and fletcher been out for sometime, those players are in themselves like new signings this year. so maybe fergie is thinking of giving this squad another go.

when you htink about it, we really cant accommodate anyone in midfield or up front. even in defence were full up. and with no word of any departures i dont see where any players are going to go...unless we sign absolute world class players. and ill believe that when i see it.

wmj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Fergie said today that he thinks Smithy can become Keane's replacement. Van Der Saar was also quoted as saying he's loving the new role in training. Although he wouldn't be in my preferred striking partnership, I'd still like to see him playing regularly as he has buckets of talent and lots of determination.

As for Ballack, even though he has said he plans to stay in Germany until at least next season, Bayern have issued a warning to him saying they won't give into ludicrous wage demands. Plus, why wait another season and lose him for nothing when they could gain 10 or so million?

I think the 4-3-3 would work better this season with one more quality midfielder, like Ballack. Something Chelsea-esque, like:

VDS

G.Neville
    Rio
    Silvestre
    Heinze--

Keane/Fletcher

Scholes
    Ballack

Ronaldo
    Rooney

Van Nistelrooy

Ballack seems to be everyones ideal signing, but I don't know if it'll happen.
    That said, I'm sure Fergie intends to sign someone, but I'm also sure it'll be someone noone has considered :) When was the last time he signed somebody we expected?

• Advertisement

I don't know if I'd stretch that far and call him our 'ideal' signing but he would be a great addition to the squad and is being heavily linked with us, plus (something that hasn't happened with a top player linked with United in a while) he seems to meet our financial criteria.
    One thing is for certain - Ballack for 10 million would be a hell of a better buy than Essien for 32 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

PHB wrote:
    Ballack seems to be everyones ideal signing, but I don't know if it'll happen.
    That said, I'm sure Fergie intends to sign someone, but I'm also sure it'll be someone noone has considered :) When was the last time he signed somebody we expected?
    Rooney.

Esssien is stupidly overpriced cause Chelsea are involved.
    Rooney wasn't that expected as you remember, he wasn't meant to be signed until a season later but Newcastle tried to steal him away from under our noses.
    Seriously though. SAF doesn't sign people often that everyone would expect him to sign.

Ballack seems to be the player everybody is talking about. Fergie has said that he wants to add an experienced player, and Ballack seems to meet our financial criteria as Necromomicon said. It will be interesting to see if we do sign anybody, cos if Fergie does intend on signing somebody im sure he'd prefer to sign him before our season kicks off

we will not sign anyone, unless they are a youngster to be played in the reserves.

Fergie has catagorically stated he wants to sign another experienced player.
    When he is done signing for the summer, he always comes out with a press conference to say, the transfer market is done for Man Utd, this is our squad for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Rooney was definately not expected at the time, maybe a season later but not when they signed him.

Essien is a great player, not worth that money though. Ballack for 10million would be an excellent signing, I think we are still a defender short, get rid of that ponse Ferdinand, give him a week to sign or transfer list him. Then move Henize to the centre with Mickey, bring in a left back, is routledge (sp!) gone from Palace?

I like the look of Swinestiger at Bayern, a good engine on him but I am sure you are talking big money

i remember fergie doing the exact same a few years ago, saying we were going to get one more player in, and then we did not. Fergie may be trying to sign another player, but he will fail to do it. Essien will go to chelsea if he leaves at all, Gattuso is staying at Milan and we will not get Ballack - who else would be good enough? i hope fergie doesn't end up signing some nobody just cause he feels he needs to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

yop wrote:
    is routledge (sp!) gone from Palace?

Spurs got him!! that transfer was on since Jan!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Routledge is not a bad player at all, but Ekersley had a good game the last nigth also so maybe he shoudl get his chancem Tierney is gone, McShane is a CB, any other left back?

Routledge is also a winger.

• Advertisement

If Rio was to be sold I don't know if I'd push Heinze into the centre and use another left back, I'd like to see Heinze stay out on the left and maybe sign another CB. Although to be honest I'd like to see this whole Rio thing sorted out and him stay, and us to get another CB alongside him, someone along the lines of Andrade.
    Speaking of Rio:
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=293063

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

yop wrote:
    any other left back?

Spector played LB at the start of last season bit he's gone on loan to Charlton..

Rio should be kept for a season even if he intends to leave.
    He is worth 15 million for one year of a really really solid defense.
    Also nobody would buy him this year at 30 million

Bayern Munich midfielder Michael Ballack has moved to end speculation he could join Manchester United.

And Bayern insist United have not made an offer for the Germany captain.

Ballack, 28, whose contract expires next year, said: "I'll be playing for Bayern until 2006. We're aiming high, and I want to be a part of it."

Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge added: "Ballack has a contract until 30 June, 2006. We won't be letting him go before then."

Chairman of Bayern's supervisory board, Franz Beckenbauer, is also keen to keep Ballack, but realises the player could consider his options.

"We would be really glad if he would stay here," Beckenbauer said.

"We would go up to our limits, but we know that his following contract would be his last big one. It is his right to get the best contract."

Shocked, a player using Man Utd to get a bigger contract :rolleyes:

No stories about United in the transfer window for about 3 days now, which is great.
    It means somebodies gona be signed soon :)

---

Just watched the First match of the Asian tour.
    Rossi looked great again.
    Scored one, and missed one decent chance.
    Also set up a great chance for Saha with a great chested ball down to Giggs.

Jones was also looking sharp, and Van Nist was stopped about 3 times by some great keeping.

Park however looked ****e.
    Dong did well though, scored a great individual goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PHB wrote:
    No stories about United in the transfer window for about 3 days now, which is great.

---
    ya right :rolleyes:
    it wouldnt suprize me if united didnt get anybody and fergie will relie on smith :(

Actually I dont think I'd be too upset if there were no more signings, would like to see this squad get another crack at it as I felt they were very unlucky at times last year.

we need a big signing in midfield

PHB wrote:

---

Just watched the First match of the Asian tour.
    Rossi looked great again.
    Scored one, and missed one decent chance.
    Also set up a great chance for Saha with a great chested ball down to Giggs.

Jones was also looking sharp, and Van Nist was stopped about 3 times by some great keeping.

Park however looked ****e.
    Dong did well though, scored a great individual goals.

Apparently Park has looked disappointing so far in pre-season. Maybe he needs time to adjust to the squad.
    There's a lot of buzz around United fans about Rossi. I didn't see his goal today, but his goal against Peterborough was very good. I'd like to see him a bit more next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Apparently Park has looked disappointing so far in pre-season. Maybe he needs time to adjust to the squad.
    There's a lot of buzz around United fans about Rossi. I didn't see his goal today, but his goal against Peterborough was very good. I'd like to see him a bit more next season.
    His goal today was a 5-yard-tap-in.

• Advertisement

dong had a great second half in my view also Van should have scored alest 1 goal so dont be blaming the goalie, i blame VAN

knowing uniteds luck he wont score hardly any goals this coming season either :(

knowing uniteds luck he wont score hardly any goals this coming season either

Oh shush.
    He had scored 5 goals in the previous two halves of football he played.
    Two of them absolute quality finishes.

PHB wrote:
    Oh shush.
    He had scored 5 goals in the previous two halves of football he played.
    Two of them absolute quality finishes.
    so he did but i can't help thinking after that shot he missed when Rooney chiped the ball over the defender and Van missed a clear shot ,its going to be chelsea's title again

3 clear chances Van missed maybe just 2 clear chances but the Van i knew when Beckham was there would have finished them off

for a striker of his quality he should have finished it off

maybe its just pre season nerves

lack of match fitness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i saw the goals and dongs was very impressive. any news of how much this guy is going to feaure this season? top finish and excellent turn of pace to get away, i hope to see a bit more of him in pre season at least.

its been very quiet on the transfer front for united which im dissppointed with, as each day passes the more im begining to believe fergie is giving this squad another go.

SO basically you've seen one entire chance, and made a judgement on our season because of it.
    Look at the other friendlies, he is very sharp there.
    People have off days, and all this will do is push Van Nist to try harder next game.

---

Dong can't play in the PL cause he can't get a work permit yet.

---

Its very quiet on the transfer front, but in all fairness, its not like any of the main stories this year about transfer to United have been true.
    VDS was bought out of the blue.
    Park only came into the news when a fee was being haggled.
    The rest have been utter ****e.
    Just give it time

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

so he did but i can't help thinking after that shot he missed when Rooney chiped the ball over the defender and Van missed a clear shot ,its going to be chelsea's title again

So after 3 pre season friendlies you have conceeded the title already. FFS cop yourself on. Considering we have played 2 different teams in each of the 3 games and won all 3 games easily and as PHB has pointed out RVN has scored 5 in 3. Get off his case.

PHB wrote:
    SO basically you've seen one entire chance, and made a judgement on our season because of it.
    Look at the other friendlies, he is very sharp there.
    People have off days, and all this will do is push Van Nist to try harder next game.

---

Dong can't play in the PL cause he can't get a work permit yet.

---

Its very quiet on the transfer front, but in all fairness, its not like any of the main stories this year about transfer to United have been true.
    VDS was bought out of the blue.
    Park only came into the news when a fee was being haggled.
    The rest have been utter ****e.
    Just give it time
    no im not judging united performance on pre season far from it

i just want to see a big signing

and fair enough Van probly had a bad day at the office but he'll never be the same any way after Beckham left

and I know Dong can't play in the PL :rolleyes:

is dong getting his game for china at the moment or whats the story

cos if he isnt then we are gona be waiting a long time for him to get a work permit...he seems useful enough and apparently he did ok at antwerp last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Have to agree with you Headshot on RVN. He is missing the quality balls Becks nearly always gave him.

• Advertisement

I think in the last year at Man United, Beckham had four assists in total.
    Van Nist is missing nothing, and even last season, he was top scorer in the ****ing CL, so stop being silly and get behind the best player we have.

Advertisement