Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to be reading the newspapers?

Options
  • 05-06-2005 4:40pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭

The Irish Times is starting a series called the 'Exam Times' on Monday, among other things they're going to be dissecting each exam paper the day after it's on - I'm sure the Irish Independent is doing something similar, and probably a few other papers too. Is anyone planning on reading them? I'm not sure that I will, once each paper is done I just want to forget it, I don't want to be reading extensive coverage and panicking about possibly having answered questions wrong...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

what ill probably do is ask my parents to keep them, because I will want to read it at some stage, but not straight after the exam.. Once I've finished my exams Ill probably read them then. Would you not be curious?!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I don't know, if the papers are in the house I'd probably find it really hard not to read them, but I don't want to get panicked. I also hate talking about exams afterwards with friends, I always think I've done way worse than I actually have when it happens (such as during the mocks)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I read it durin JC and thought it was good. I also listened to 5-7 live on rte1 they also had ''extensive coverage'' [god i like saying that] bout papers but not individual q's so jus paper in general fair/unfair/whatever so it didnt make me feel bad.
    I like knowing what peeps around country thought of paper and what teachers think you kno the usual
    ...so if i have the airgead to buy paper i probably will!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I don't want to know where i went wrong.

<Jonny> wrote:
    I don't want to know where i went wrong.
    That's exactly what I'm getting at! Although, if there's a ****ty question, it'd probably comfort me if the rest of the country had problems with it too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

yeah, this friends thing is going to be a bit of a problem...a lot of mine are highly strung and get all hyper, the plan is to walk away!! also on the hour and a half free between exams i might go home if there arent free classrooms.
    i know, ill be tempted to read them aswell but my exams are close together(everyday till the 17th) so i wont have time id say!

At least you can go home, I can't cos it would take me half an hour each way and that's just a total waste of time. Some of my friends are also highly strung, I will be avoiding them like the plague after each paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Did anybody read the article today about people slagging each other on the internet about what school they go to. i think it was in the independant. They actually directly quoted stuff like 'all i know bout loretos is they are all hoes" etc. I think it was mainly d4 type schools or private schools. Oh yea actually one of them said 'learn how to apply fake tan properly' and 'we all have fellas except a few' i presume these are all girl schools. Either way complete muppets. It was on page 2 and all. THey are now launching an investigation, ****s sake.

That's like launching an investigation against a chat between some mates. It's not like as soon as you post something on the internet the whole world knows about it.

Typical misunderstood irish view on technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

where on the internet??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

Tried to get that article on the internet,
    seems you have to register now to be able to read things online in the independent
    WHY IS IT ASKING ME FOR MY ANNUAL HOUSEHOLD INCOME??
    ****ing middle class elitist rag, absolutely crap journalism most of the time, The Times is the only decent paper in this country

where on the internet??
    either collarsup.net (what an amusing website) or here i suppose, all blown out of proportion of course

i seen it in the independant newspaper not on the internet. It was on a school website. i'll post it up later the name of the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Now that I know about them I probably will read these 'Exam Times' after the exam.

i seen it in the independant newspaper not on the internet. It was on a school website. i'll post it up later the name of the schools.
    yeah i was on the independents website! and you have to tell them your annual income or they wont let you register! still haven't emailed me my password,
    maybe i'm to poor

Just make up your annual income, they probably have a choice of income brackets to choose so just pick one, it doesn't really matter

Fishie wrote:
    Just make up your annual income, they probably have a choice of income brackets to choose so just pick one, it doesn't really matter
    yeah i picked the lowest, and they have't emailed me my password yet, so i guess i'm not good enough for their silly publication
    (please excuse rant)

Well I just tried signing up as well, but they haven't emailed my password either. Maybe it's cos I had to put in my year of birth, so I put in 1986, and they're like "psh, we don't want any 18 year olds reading our papers"

Here's the article
    STUDENTS at some of Dublin's most prestigious fee-paying schools are using websites to verbally attack each other using highly-offensive and sexually-graphic language, it has emerged.

The existence of the websites, built by students using a free web-based template, has led to a number of the exclusive schools launching investigations into the matter.

What started off as mild rivalry between some of Dublin's top schools, including Blackrock College, St Michael's College, Holy Child Killiney and Loreto Convent Foxrock, quickly became more sinister and personalised with individuals being singled out, named and having their sexual behaviour exposed.

Some of the more explicit entries found on the websites, written mostly in textese (the bastardised English used on mobile phones when sending SMS texts) include furious inter-school exchanges with rivals calling each other 'whores' and 'gay' as well as considerable mentions of physical threats.

Examples of entries on the sites which first appeared in April include: "loreto girls r d biggest little hos around!! u mite as al just becum lesbos becuz u have nooooo hope watsoever in gettin any guy unless he was blind r DESPERATE!!!!!!! u fuking hoares ur going 2 die!!!", "Holy Child Girls are not ugly stupid bimbos who cant get a guy . . . im sorry basically every single one of us is with a guy excapt 4 a few . . . so i dunno wat ur on about!!" and "HELLO!! the loreto girls r like so sound!! u holy childers r jus f***ing jealous!! learn how to put on fake tan . . . Properly!!"

Tensions in the respective student bodies has hit fever pitch in the past few weeks as accusations as to who established the sites began to circulate. The ensuing witchhunt led to individuals being blamed - often wrongly according to the forum - and subjected to ferocious personal attacks about their appearance, sexual behaviour and their friends.

"For the person who made this, I can honestly say I actually hate u. ur the most f****d up person ever and i dont give a sh*t if u get upset by that. look at all the fights u hav caused and all the people u hav hurt?!?! do u not feel guilty at all framing like 4 really nice girls and giving their year/school a bad name?!", said one entry. "To *****, watch out, your gonna get a bashin'," said another.

A number of the schools as well as the Parents' Associations connected to them have said they are to investigate the matter as a result of the Sunday Independent findings.

Gardai examined the websites over the weekend after being contacted by the Sunday Independent and a spokesman said: "While we cannot comment on individual cases, if any complaint is made to us we will investigate the matter accordingly."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

everyone says you shouldnt disect the exam
    no post mortems
    you ll jus panic and freak out

but yeah, ill def be readin em

• Advertisement

Thank you! you are a most kind Fish! to bad your school sucks! (joke :))

to bad your school sucks! (joke :))
    If I was a typical student of my school, I'd probably either respond with "Errrrrrr" or "Ehhh yeah well at least I can afford, like, good fake tan"

Thankfully, I'm not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

Fishie wrote:
    If I was a typical student of my school, I'd probably either respond with "Errrrrrr" or "Ehhh yeah well at least I can afford, like, good fake tan"

Thankfully, I'm not
    roysh

Joe Reville said just forget about the exam once it's over. Don't talk about it with your friends or worry about what you didn't do.

JOE REVILLE!!!!!!!

Fishie wrote:

Thankfully, I'm not
    yay! integrity! may it spread throughout the land..................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I might be curious and so I'll ask my dad to get them but think of it like this, you'll have just completed the hardest exams of your life so far and you won't use the majority of what you studied ever again, why would you want to dwell on it and start worrying that maybe you could have done better. If the paper says it was an easy exam but you found it hard you might beat yourself up about it which is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The media see the leaving cert as good filler in stuff at a time when they have n't got that much to talk about. I think they add to the hysteria this idea that the leaving cert is the be all and end all. I think thats really wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

The media see the leaving cert as good filler in stuff at a time when they have n't got that much to talk about. I think they add to the hysteria this idea that the leaving cert is the be all and end all. I think thats really wrong.

You're right but the problem is most people base their entire future on the leaving, will it give them the points they want, will they get the course or job they want. When you start thinking about all that stuff you become a basket case.

I got to the stage were I nearly went bonkers there recently, I didn't really care if I did really well as long as I passed everything. If you dwell on these thing they seriously mess with your noodle. So try to be like me don't take it too seriously if you fail or do badly so what either do it again or change your plans and do a different course or whatever.

Have a look at my sig, I think that says it all.

<Jonny> wrote:
    Joe Reville said just forget about the exam once it's over. Don't talk about it with your friends or worry about what you didn't do.

JOE REVILLE!!!!!!!

who?

• Advertisement

Joe Reville!!!!

Biologist extraordinaire.

Advertisement