Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Most DivX players Play XviD?

Options
  • 05-06-2005 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

I am currently searching for a DVD Player with DivX & XviD support. I've been looking through previous threads and some models which seem to stand out are Philips DVP630 and Yamada 6600?

I have noticed in the specs for some multi-codec dvd players XviD is not mentioned, whereas DivX is. Does this mean that these players don't support XviD (eg. the Philips DVP630), or can one just assume that if the player supports DivX, it also supports XviD?

For those who have had experience with these players, is there any models which I should steer clear of/which you can recommend in the €100 price range?

Many thanks,
    jAH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Both XviD and DivX are mpeg4 codecs.
    Generally if it says it will play Divx than you can bet it will play xvid too.

To be on the safe side disable quater pixal and gmc in the xvid options and set the fourcc to DIVX (in the debug tab)
    This will "trick" the player to thinking it's playing a divx file when in fact it's xvid. Same goes for your pc media player too. You can undo this if needed later btw.
    I've read the
    Philips DVP630 is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

thanks edge,

a large number of movies i have are already xvid and i wouldn't fancy transcoding them to divx, but maybe one can just change the fourcc and this would do the trick, although i'd have to reburn the movies to a fresh dvd. i guess the only way to know is actually try them out on a player.

can anyone recommend the dvp630, in particular does it give smooth playback of divx media? thinking of picking one up for €92 in cork, this seems like a reasonable price?

jAH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Pixmania have a lot in stock here. There's one for €38. Not sure of postage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hi Jah,

I've had a philips 630 for just under a year and I'm quite happy with it, it plays DIVX/XVID KVCD and all the usual stuff only thing I found it couldn't play is DVD-RW
    Cheers
    Snake
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I've seen a slot loading one a Philips 5100 €89 in Power City. Can't find much about it on the web. Maybe its a newer model. Looks nicer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00096J3HG/202-4618582-4614238
    http://www.shopireland.ie/electronics/detail/B00096J3HG/Philips-DVP5100/05-DVD-Player-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

jArgHA wrote:
    but maybe one can just change the fourcc
    Indeed and you can. Easiest way is to use AVI FourCC Code Changer. No idea if it'll fool the player, though it probably should.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Yeah, thay do, but be warned they play them backwards!

DivX XviD ;)

Damo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

thanks for all the tips. the philips 5100 does look pretty nice but i can't find many reviews on the machine, i presume its only been released fairly recently.

the majority of the feedback on the philips dvp630 is positive so i'm going to go with this player. for €92 it seems like a bargain, and if it blows up within 6 months then at least i won't have spent too much.

cheers,
    jAH

Advertisement