Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dart vaders case :D

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Heres a legitimate gripe about TT, their Xaser III lanfire is a piece of ****.

It was an atrociously horrible case to work with. It felt like a tacky plasticy piece of crap to use. The fireball EL logo on the front looked terrible to see in person. The right panel hooks bent to crap on me really easily. It had 4 medium noise fans which did nothing to cool it.

Their power supplies are trash, have you ever heard the noise off them ? They conform to specs which are years old, meaning that they are nowhere near as useful as their wattage rating implies. They test their PSUs at 20 degrees (incredibly unrealistic) while real manufacturers test at 50 degrees. For people who dont do physics/electrical stuff this means that they wont make anywhere near their rated power in real use.

The come up with retarded gimmicks like an air cooled Peltier CPU cooler which doesnt even cool as well as their normal rubbish air heatsinks but still sucks down 100w of electricity. They come up with watercooling kits like the Aquarius which have fried people's CPUs by sucking so much ass that they couldnt cool a non-overclocked processor.

They sell only by their stupid ricer marketing.

I think I've given enough reasons for noone to even consider buying their trash. Now buy the CMStacker instead of that Armour piece of crap and dont give thermaltake money for stealing other companies' products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

hehehe

So whats the story with review sites? Do they get review samples and a brown envelope with a few quid in or what cause all the TT product reviews are fairly good. Is there a hateTT.com that I havent found yet?

I'm buying an akasa Eclipse 62. I gave some consideration to the TT armor, but (and I'll admit it was a purely asethetic decision) I like the look of the eclipse better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

you won't regret your decision dundhoone, from what i've seen the eclipse is a quality piece of kit, would have bought it myself if it wasn't made out of aluminium.

and demonofthefall, you speak the truth >_<

All the review sites that I've seen that do reviews on TT products are the crap ones which obviously need to review TT products to have something to keep them going. Take www.3dgameman.com

That guy will say that *anything* is great. He's positive about every single thing he reviews. Especially so about thermaltake. Guess which company's advertisements the website is spammed with ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

personally, I wouldnt mind a version in black, given that it had a _very_ sturdy chassis design, which I doubt.

I might pop down to peats one day to take a look at this garish beast.

• Advertisement

design is anything but sturdy. my mate broke the door on the one in peats by accident one day and he was being really careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

lol 3dgameman makes tomshardware look unbiased

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Dundhoone wrote:
    okay thats more like it. When its from a couple of bad experiences with product from a particular manufacturer then im happy to listen to your advice, learn from your experience and stay clear myself.

I completely agree about educatiing yourself about something your are going to spend a lot of money on - if only to get the best for what your spending.
    Aye.
    Not entirely supportive of your pc elitism though, it seems to spill over into a strong dislike of people with different taste to your own..... but thats one for an entirely different thread. Anyway, do you reckon there are a lot of shell suit wearing boy racers building pcs these days, or are you just lording it over the "un-educated"?
    I'm a moody fecker, quick to smite internet people, but there's no real malice in it. At the end of the day it's that person's money, not mine. I only hope to help them make a better decision - even if it means being a bit coarse.
    looking forward to seeing your tasteful creation posted sometime soon, are you sure its a pc your building? :D
    It'll be completed around August, as I've to wait for cashflow and will only be able to do some of the more DIY modding at the weekends, and I'll have very few of those free.

Also, you said:
    i've never had any TT stuff nor have I ever considered buying any of it before the Armor case. Apart from the CMStacker its the only case I can find that has Btx upgradablity and while not being ricer-ish its a lot less boring than the stacker.
    TT also have the Kandalf out.
    This is the defining argument against Thermaltake.
    It's a blatant rip-off of the Stacker.
    The Stacker has nice smooth lines (I don't like the big 300mm grille on the side, but that won't last long on my case), it's very symmetrical, I like the minimalist aesthetics.

Why are you even considering BTX? It's not being adopted all that readily, the main thing that will push it will be Intel and OEMs (Dell, HP, Fujitsu).
    I'm getting the stacker because I love the design and construction of it, highly configurable, nice simple and direct airflow from front to rear, plenty of space, and I can WTX the motherboard and flip the side panels.

Prosta wrote:
    Dundhoone go for that Armor. I think it looks bitchin.
    I rest my case.

What ever happened to modding being about buying a solid case and getting a bit of elbow grease in to mould it to your liking?
    From what I've been seeing at lans lately, more and more people are just going out and buying the shiney pretty (but piss-poor performance) parts off brands like TT, slapping them into their garish case and ending up with something that looks like a christmas tree and sounds like a tumble dryer.

TT are to cases and modding what EA are to game publishing and what Microsoft are to security and uptime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I'm with SyxPak on this.
    Buying a premade case shouldn't really be called casemodding, technically its "casebuying".

A lot of new cases are readymade, unindividual and require no work to assemble / "mod".
    I dont think that adding X Neon pipes and Y fan Leds constitutes case modding.

<blatant pimpage>
    Might I draw your attention to this. ;)
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=261441
    </blatant pimpage>

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

It needs speedholes - it makes the computer go faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Funny, someone actually said that to me today about my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Considering your latest creation Fuzzy, I can see you dont much like the look of ordinary cases!

All the same , if im going to buy a (fairly) expensive case, I want to like the look of it to start off, and anything I dont like I'll sort out later with a bit of choppy choppy.

I guess to someone who has been modding for a while , popping some uv cables and lights into a case which comes with a window is no big deal (although it probabaly would have been when cases didnt have windows and uv/caselights + computers would make people think you were a two cans short of a sixpack)

But it sure is one step above buying an off the shelf pc.

Just wait till evey case manufacturer is making furry coated cases!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Perhaps coating the exterior in wire-wool might aid heat disipation....copper-based brillo-pads anyone?

Advertisement