Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolution - classic games will be free. FULL GAMES LIST INC

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Those are some of the best games ever released!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Even if these games are free, won't you have to store them somewhere? I'm sure the Revolution will come with a certain amount of HD space but it won't be enough to hold all those games.

At the very least you're going to have to fork out on memory cards of some type to keep these games. It's a promising start but there's a lot of details to be ironed out before I'm sold on the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It comes with 512mb internal storage and has a port for sd cards. 512mb is a tonne of space for NES/SNES/N64 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Question; if, as everyone presumes, Nintendo are going to have all these games on offer to download, straight away out of the box and free. Then why don't they just include all of them on a disc with the Revolution or something like that?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sony are quite keen on the idea of gaming-on-demand via broadband though, aren't they?

I think all three are somewhat eyeing the idea up, although being very careful not to piss off their real-world distribution and retail channels. (now back to work before I start to piss people off...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Kazaanova wrote:
    Question; if, as everyone presumes, Nintendo are going to have all these games on offer to download, straight away out of the box and free. Then why don't they just include all of them on a disc with the Revolution or something like that?

Because not everyone wants every single game!

It comes with 512mb internal storage and has a port for sd cards. 512mb is a tonne of space for NES/SNES/N64 games.

How big is the average N64 game? I can't find anything by Googling. I think the biggest SNES game was Street Fighter Alpha, clocking in at 32mb.

Bear in mind that you won't just want to store Nintendo's games as I imagine most of the major publishers will jump on board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Earthhorse wrote:
    How big is the average N64 game? I can't find anything by Googling. I think the biggest SNES game was Street Fighter Alpha, clocking in at 32mb.

It's actually megabit which is smaller than megabyte.

Fairy nuff den.

I'd be interested in seeing how they're going to handle saves for these downloads. Most of the NES and SNES games won't require them but the bigger N64 titles definitely will.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Earthhorse wrote:
    Fairy nuff den.

I'd be interested in seeing how they're going to handle saves for these downloads. Most of the NES and SNES games won't require them but the bigger N64 titles definitely will.

I'd say they will just put the save files on the flash memory like PC emulators do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How am I going to get them onto my machine if I don't have broadband?
    I wonder if legally help roms on a PC can be used on this new Nintendo machine?
    I guess we will have to wait, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, how does that work seeing as Rare are owned by Microsoft and the Bond IP is owned by EA?

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I guess we will have to wait, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, how does that work seeing as Rare are owned by Microsoft and the Bond IP is owned by EA?

Nintendo own the publishing rights, Rare are only the developer. EA only have the rights to future bond games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    i'd imagine nintendo will use a different rom format to the ones that can be easily found on the interweb...
    perhaps you'll be able to buy a disc containing all of the games, or discs containing games for each specific console...
    i can't wait to fill in all of these blanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

have to admite this is the first time ever i might actually want to get a nintendo and looking forward to its release! this true backward compatiabilty could be a real genius move by nintendo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

You won't like this.

According to today's GameCentral, Nintendo listed the games but never said they'd be free to download. That bit only came about through some sloppy reporting after Nintendo claimed the Revolution would be free to play online.

Croissants, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Aww for god sake. I'm disappointed to say the least now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

It was already said like 3 pages back that that list was fake.

Anyway I despise retro games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Someone once told me that they didn't like soup. Similarly sweeping statement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

knew it was too good to be true :(

• Advertisement

News like that makes baby jesus cry. And me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

great piece of news to start the day with :(
    ah well... at least i've got my chipped xbox for emulation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I wasn't going to bother buying any next gen console.
    Then when I saw this thread my mind was immediatly made up to get a Revolution.
    How dissapointing...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The revolution is going to store the downloaded games on flash cartridge. Obviously a 512mb cart will fill up pretty quick, so they say you can manage the downloaded files on your PC. The files will be encrypted, so you won't be able to download games off the net and put them on the cart.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/622/622870p1.html

Ahem.

Yeah right. It'll take 4-6 weeks for that encryption to be cracked and you can play whatever you want by downloading games onto the flash cart from the net. Guaranteed....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thats a relief, I have a hard drive full of stuff and it would be nice to play them on proper Nintendo hardware, and with reference to an earlier comment about DuckHunt, the only way to play is on a Nes with the original LightGun, I know, I was playing it last night, just a pity you can't shoot that bloody dog!

Advertisement