Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelseas Bad Press

• 05-06-2005 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I have been a Chelsea supporter for more than 10 years and i am on cloud 9 at the moment. Last season was just glorious. I have the year in review taped and have watch it 3-4 times a week. It brings tears to my eyes to see Terry and Lamps lift that trophy.

And yet it just does not end. For every highlight on the pitch this just keeps happening off the pitch. I hate the tarnished name that chelsea have become. When Uefa slammed the club after the Barcelona incident i thought, ok this is bad press that we are getting but the storm will pass over.

Then came the Ashley Cole fiasco and now this Arnesen business. I have mixed emotions about my champions. I am not ashamed as i know that the press blow things out of proportion but i cannot help but think that if this was Manchester united getting this press i would be blasting them left right and centre.

Is anybody else just sick of the bad press? I am sure that the opposing fans will get on their high horses about how evil the club is and as i said already i would probably be doing the same. What do you fellow Chelsea fans think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It will work out well for the on club fortunes of the club.
    United thrived under the everybody hates us mentality, and Chelsea will in turn.
    ---
    Somebody a while ago wrote this great article on how Chelsea had a chance to become incredibly well loved, breaking up the duopoly, but ****ed it up royally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

United thrived under the everybody hates us mentality, and Chelsea will in turn

WTF? United are hated for their success because they are arrogant in victory and un-gracious in defeat! as oppossed to other teams in the past that have had success, liverpool, leeds, arsenal.

Chelsea are not exactly hated, just nobody has an ounce of respect for them as a club because of how they do business. the manager is of such a top class that i doubt he needs ruthless mannor of business they are doing around him.

my point is, people dont hate chelsea for their success (mourinho makes it a point of shaking hands with other teams players in defeat) people just disslike them and dont respect them for how they go about business, and i doubt thats something the players will thrive on tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

el rabitos wrote:
    my point is, people dont hate chelsea for their success (mourinho makes it a point of shaking hands with other teams players in defeat) people just disslike them and dont respect them for how they go about business, and i doubt thats something the players will thrive on tbh

I agree with you entirely. One of the best mourinho moments IMO is after we were knocked out of CL and he walked the entire pitch hugging and congratulating the Liverpool players, i mean who does that!? I think that it is a good point that you are making although being labelled the 'enemy of football' kind of goes against our argument!

But yes, it is the business dealings that are getting us into trouble now. All of this tapping and fishy dealings. The players will not thrive on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I agree with you entirely. One of the best mourinho moments IMO is after we were knocked out of CL and he walked the entire pitch hugging and congratulating the Liverpool players, i mean who does that!? I think that it is a good point that you are making although being labelled the 'enemy of football' kind of goes against our argument!

After which he went on TV and said "the best team lost, of course the best team lost"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

PHB wrote:
    After which he went on TV and said "the best team lost, of course the best team lost"

I have heard a ton worse TBH. Of course he was disappointed with the result. He critisized the linesman for the goal decision but also accepted it. I feel that he was gracious in defeat, devestated but gracious. Remember that in the beginning of the season he was quoted as saying that the champions league was his, that he had already won it once and it was a given to get it again. After the Barcelona and Bayern Munich games it was even more so. Then he was made eat humble pie. As i said, i have seen a LOT worse reactions to this kind of disappointment.

Also: “I wish from my heart that Liverpool win the Final because then it is a Premiership side that wins. He [Benitez] is in the Final so he deserves all the credit. He did a good job for his team."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Funnily, Chelsea imported all this hype/hassle from United when they got Peter Kenyon from them. A lot of the bad press is down to his agressive methods of doing business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Nouveau riche always make mistakes at the dining table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

if a manager doesnt think after such a tight couple of games that his team werent the best i'd be worried bout team moral.

for all mourinhos arrogance he has as much respect for the opposition. when he wins he's the first to say we won but when they lose he's the first to go shake the oppositions hands.

i think chelsea are in a great possition for more success with him there, but i dont think they need kenyon and what he's bringing to the club.

mourinho is the kinda manager that gets the best out of players, like benitez, and i dont think he needs the bad reputation that kenyons business style is going to bring him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PiE wrote:
    Nouveau riche always make mistakes at the dining table.

That pesky fish-knife always catches them!

Chelsea are in danger of something more than not being liked (which never hurt Millwall) namely loosing points and influence. They are not members of the G14 (actually 18 now) but I'm sure would like to be. Yet who would have them at the moment?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Chelsea are a club to be admired on the pitch, but not off it. Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

i don't think our bad press has gotten significantly worse in recent times, in the 80's CFC were the embodiement of evil london hooligans (somewhat justifiably) in the 90's Ken Bates was royally despised by the premiership chairmen and journalists for his tendency to speak his mind regardless of the old boys club and the FA (of course he was a boorish, arrogant pain in the arse so that was often deserved too) , we only started to be a little liked when Vialli and Zola were there and the entertaining football oversahdowed the off-the-field side of Chelsea, Roman's millions have shaken the english premiership and G18 to its roots. The Frisk debacle didn't help our image but most Chelsea fans weren't bothered anyway, a bit of added controversy only spiced up the CL and winning in such an atmosphere was all the better, then came Cole-gate which would have gone un-remarked in any other club/season except for this set of circumstances, it was very bad judgement by Kenyon to allow a meeting to be so casually observed but how anyone can "hate" Chelsea for tapping up a player when it happens every week is beyond me. The only reason Chelsea are so disliked now is that every fan of Man U and Arsenal know that they can't help themselves to English trophies from now on, football writers and commentators are football fans too, they can't help themselves expressing their innnermost feelings of jealousy in the columns disguised as informed debate about Abramovich's alledged ciminal links / lack of long term interest in CFC / unsustainable financing / lack of respect for the unwritten rules of football business / buying the title / enemy of football etc etc.

As a fan i simply ignore it all and happily look forward to more titles !!

Advertisement