Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XII

Options
  • 05-06-2005 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

Just reading up on this and I'm after coming across a few things,

The battles are in real time like Vagrant story/Neverwinter nights, no more battle scenes and bling victory poses. There will be some command issuing i'm led to believe but it's not the random battles we all love, I think its like when you walk near a monster you ATB bar goes up and so forth.

A new type of magic appears to have been designed, green magic which contains status ailment jazz etc.

And rumour has it we're not going to recieve such a game till 2006 but i didn't look for confirmation on it and i wouldn't be surprised if its true.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Links anyone? I am lazy and do not feel like looking myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

It was on some forum that I can't entirely remember, if I do I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Its also being made by the guy who created Final Fantasy Tactics, hence why its set in the Tactics world of Avalice... and apparently it is going be the first FF game with an openly homosexual character.

Here's one off the aforementioned links, deals with the release date.

here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

So what you r saying is the locations wont even be the same to start with?

• Advertisement

So what you r saying is the locations wont even be the same to start with?

Most likely my fault but, huh?

Ryhme said it would be set in the same world as tactics.

I recall them saying it was set in ivarice but giving a differnent view on the place and give a different version of the place. I've never played tactics so can't comment on what the world was like.

Can I ask the simple question ? Has this at any point been officially refared to as a remake of 7? It seems to be a new game just with a similar character. I really dont think this is a remake anymore :confused:

...and also consider that some of the tactics-only species are in 12 too, the Bangaa (short stocky lizard guys with long noses) and the Viera (rabbit ladies)

EDIT: and the judges

• Advertisement

Can I ask the simple question ? Has this at any point been officially refared to as a remake of 7? It seems to be a new game just with a similar character. I really dont think this is a remake anymore :confused:

No its not a remake of VII. I'm getting confused.

I have been confused by stuff aswell. Right then , are we talking about the E3 videos with the cloud like character in them?

eDIT : KK , I THINK I AM UNCONFUSED NOW?

Unless its actually stated to be a remake, then its not... FF12 is Square-Enix trying to pimp off the concept of FF:T...

I have been confused by stuff aswell. Right then , are we talking about the E3 videos with the cloud like character in them?

eDIT : KK , I THINK I AM UNCONFUSED NOW?

What's going on here? We're talking about FFXII. What's this about Cloud?

Methinks he's referring to Vaan... he's more of a Tidus character to me but in this case Vaan doesnt talk as much and has a proper voice

Nothing , Im a tard and I completely confused myself , dur , dur , dur , I'm going to play source , but with bots because I'm not feeling sociable right now.

And the cancelled top gear for womens football .. aargh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

All this non-random battle talk is scaring me. Vagrant Story and FF tactics are all well and good, but I don't want FF12 to be Vagrant Tactics 2.

Crucifix wrote:
    All this non-random battle talk is scaring me. Vagrant Story and FF tactics are all well and good, but I don't want FF12 to be Vagrant Tactics 2.
    Sounds like Hobo wrestling to me... more like 'vague tactics' to me

I'm not too keen on it myself at all.

Random battles annoyed me at times but i thought they were great, gave you all the time you wanted to choose and organise things and even gave you a victory pose when you won and a nice bit of music. Brilliant stuff altogether.

A few of the other things they're firing in should make up for it though, non random battles could always turn out fantastic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

I loved vagrant story! I am looking to buy it online when i next get paid.

But i do share your worry about the lack of random battles. Whatever you think about them, random battles are Final Fantasy. It is what the franchise has carried through from the beginning. I feel that if you take them away then the game should not be called Final Fantasy 12 but <insert new game title here>.

Final Fantasy = Random Battles + Chocobos + Mogs

• Advertisement

As reluctant as I am for the removal of the old random battles, it could well be pulled off successfully and might be okay.

I probalby won't be happy and will be back in 2006 saying they're crap but the game isn't really about the battles. The storyline is really what you're in it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I'm all for the new enemy encounter system. I know random battles put alot of people off the series, people find it very frustrating and miss out on a great game, so I welcome it if it encourages people to play.

What I don't like the sound of is the real-time battles. I love turn-based! Much more tactical than any real-time system could ever be in my opinion. Have to say I'm a little worried FFXII won't "feel" like Final Fantasy. To me, long, tactical, turn-based battles are a major part of what makes a Final Fantasy game, won't be the same without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

It seems to be a real-time/turn-based hybrid, mostly like Vagrant Story, in that you can pause the battle and issue commands against enemies, allies, etc... within your range of influence - definitely looking forward to it! :)

Active Dimension Battle (ADB)

Thank you sofaking, i was looking for that link.

What i'm a little worried about if this character shielding business, seems like the front character is going to take all the beatings, which could be good and could also be quite bad.

It could be good from the point of view that your weaker characters get a bit of protection but could aslo mean your front and attacking character is going to spend half their time dead when fighting a hard enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

But surely its not much different from previous games, where you'd have your sword wielding, melee characters in the front row, and your mages, range characters, etc.. in the back row.

Melee characters can be pushed to the front in order to prevent the enemies from attacking the ranged characters shooting from behind.

This says that you back row characters aren't going to be hit at all and thus your front row attacker is going to get a constant bashing.

Its also the case (have to bring the Tactics stuff again) where your mages and other minority jobs are crap in every way except their speciality and the need to be protected. Swatting off enemies while Mont Blanc was charging up to blast the hell out of a boss in Tactics Advance was nail biting fror sure

I'm under the impression thats its not just the mages that are in the back row this time round, the archers and so forth could probably take a little beating rather than maybe one guy taking it all.

As a matter of interest how many people did you have in your party at any given time?

I honestly dont remember, might have been up to 8 people moving about the screen at one time not including the enemies and the judge for that match.

A lot of the classes and jobs could defend themselves pretty well, but there were a few helpless little guys like the priest etc

• Advertisement

Well XII is only going to have 3 characters at any given time so this shielding thing could be very awkward indeed.

You may have for example 1 fighter, an archer and a white mage, and who gets all the beating? It will take some good work by square to pull this off well.

Advertisement