Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XII

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

grimloch wrote:
    You may have for example 1 fighter, an archer and a white mage, and who gets all the beating? It will take some good work by square to pull this off well.
    They may go with the X-2 approach and let you change role mid battle... i just want the gambler, dragoon and the samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

That would be good, although the differnent races leads me to believe in racial strenghts and weaknesses.

I'd like a dragoon except he/she'd be likely to spen half his/her time up in the air thus leaving maybe tha back row open.

Changing roles would be very nice actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Rhyme wrote:
    They may go with the X-2 approach and let you change role mid battle... i just want the gambler, dragoon and the samurai
    I may have been misinformed, but I do believe the Dragoon knight was missing from X-2.
    I'm all for the new enemy encounter system. I know random battles put alot of people off the series, people find it very frustrating and miss out on a great game, so I welcome it if it encourages people to play.

What I don't like the sound of is the real-time battles. I love turn-based! Much more tactical than any real-time system could ever be in my opinion. Have to say I'm a little worried FFXII won't "feel" like Final Fantasy. To me, long, tactical, turn-based battles are a major part of what makes a Final Fantasy game, won't be the same without it.
    Yeah that's how I feel basically. It might be a great game (here's ****ing hoping), it just won't be a proper FF game.

I may have been misinformed, but I do believe the Dragoon knight was missing from X-2.

I think rhyme was saying thet he/she'd like to have a changing role system like X-2 but would be good if they included a dragoon, I missed that fella from V I think.

Like I said before the battle system doesn't make a good game, the story does, it'll obvioulsy feel different but it might be good, we don't know.

I will of course remain pessimistic about the game because that way I won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

grimloch wrote:
    I think rhyme was saying thet he/she'd like to have a changing role system like X-2 but would be good if they included a dragoon, I missed that fella from V I think.
    Gareth! Whyyyyyyy!?
    grimloch wrote:
    Like I said before the battle system doesn't make a good game, the story does, it'll obvioulsy feel different but it might be good, we don't know.
    True to a point, an amazingly emotional and moving game does get brownie points but smack an impenetrable battle system and you have an emotionally charged sh***fest.
    grimloch wrote:
    I will of course remain pessimistic about the game because that way I won't be disappointed.
    As we all will
    grimloch wrote:
    rhyme was saying thet he/she'd
    ;)

• Advertisement

True to a point, an amazingly emotional and moving game does get brownie points but smack an impenetrable battle system and you have an emotionally charged sh***fest.

That's true, a good battle system is nice but there's higher priorities. It will be interesting to see though, that can't be denied.

On another note of complaint the game looks a little colourful for my tastes, I always liked the dark atmosphere that was mirrored in the lighting in FFVII. All these colours remind me of X and the abomination that was X-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

grimloch wrote:
    On another note of complaint the game looks a little colourful for my tastes, I always liked the dark atmosphere that was mirrored in the lighting in FFVII. All these colours remind me of X and the abomination that was X-2.

I agree with you! The screenshots do look like Final Fantasy X. And i think most FF fans prefer the darker tons of earlier games.

You used FF7 as your example but you have to take a look at what made 7 dark, the themes behind the game were the effects of industrialization, pollution and the safety of the planet. The 'greyness' of the game was because of this. Even the shimmering Gold Saucer was a smokescreen covering the wasteland below and its inhabitants.

In X you have much more spiritual themes. Huge emphasis put on the afterlife, but i do not think that 'pollution or industrialization' was an issue. Even the machines were generally 'clean' and never portrayed as pollutants to any huge entent. At the end of the day X was not an industrialized world.

I think that the only way to get that darker tones would be to set the story in an industrialized world. Which i do not think this one is. At least from the prologue there is no hint of it! Who knows though, there may be large cities involved.

PROLOGUE
    A warrior takes sword in hand, holds a stone to chest
    Disappearing memories carved onto the sword
    Trained skills entrusted to the stone
    The story is told by the sword and continued by the stone
    Now, let that story be told...

That is the story of a world called Ivalice.

The strong military kingdom known as the Arcadia Empire
    That rules the Valentia Continent,
    And the Rosalia Empire that rules the Ordalia Continent
    Have been continuously at war for long years.

In the midst of it, Arcadia Empire invaded the small kingdom of Dalmasca,
    Positioned in the hallway between the two continents and thus is geopolitically important.

Under the invasion of the Arcadia Empire, the Dalmasca Kingdom accepted defeat.
    But Ashe, the rightful heir to the trone of Dalmasca,
    Joined the resistance army movements to fight against the empire.

The enemy's chase and attack of this girl with the liberation of her mother nation in heart is severe,
    But, she can not be defeated.
    At this moment, she meets the young man Vaan.
    With this meeting, begins the change in Ashe's heart.

And thus...

The meeting of these two people will greatly change the story of this world.

- OY

That prelogue sounds familiar for some reason, does sound quite intriguing. A bloody pity we won't see the thing for maybe a year.

I believe people were looking for the FFXII trailer:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasy12/media.html

Advertisement