Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation please!

Options
  • 05-06-2005 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

I'm an exam supervisor attendent thingy for the next few weeks and need a good book to stave of boredom. Any suggestions?
    I like horror/sexy/thriller if that helps!
    thanx in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

i just read a few great books, would recommend them all

the quiet american - graham greene
    the old man and the sea - hemmingway
    coming up for air - orwell (very, very good, quite different)
    seven summits - cant remember the name, but its by the first dudes to climb all seven summits, very interesting

actually on another climbing note,

Into Thin Air : A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster
    by JON KRAKAUER - really enjoyed it, very interesting and there was another one that i cant remember the name of about two english chaps climbing a mountain in south america in the 80s, they made it into a film, really good, amazing story really. The name is similar i think, ah just remembered it,
    Touching the void - joe simpson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

the beach is a good thriller with a bit of substance... good pace to keep ye amused :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Try a John Connolly book (e.g. "Every Dead Thing")- American based Irish author. I think his books would be described as horror/crime. The books are pretty long and welll written, so will should keep you going for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

I always recommend Bonfire of the Vanities to people. It is a tremendous book the best I have read in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The Stand by Stephen King - about 4 million pages, but its a very good book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The Stand by Stephen King - about 4 million pages, but its a very good book

Re-reading that at the moment actually. Absolutely brilliant book, you can tell it was written before his books got crap (IMO of course).

Long book, but doesn't take long to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

eoin_s wrote:
    Try a John Connolly book (e.g. "Every Dead Thing")- American based Irish author. I think his books would be described as horror/crime. The books are pretty long and welll written, so will should keep you going for a while.

His books are good, very absorbing. Val McDermid also writes good crime/pyscological type books that will pass the time nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭grimsbymatt

Some great books I read recently: -

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell; Lord of the Flies by William Golding; Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre (v. funny); Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

I'd highly recommend any of these, all of them are quality page-turners.

Advertisement