Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

model rocketry

Options
  • 05-06-2005 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hello i was wondering is there a irish model rocketry club in ireland. I remmember a old estes rocket i was given at the age of 8 and was thinking how i would like to get in to this hobbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

The problem with rockets is not the rockets themselves, but the fuel. If I remember correctly there was some law about transporting rocket fuel, so it was very hard to get any in legally to use...

This may have changed since, but I don't know of any rocket clubs as such..

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

I had an Uncle in the U.S that brought me over a few Estes kits when I was in my teens
    They were spectacular, if a bitch to recover (especially if at all windy)
    I never did find an engine source here so my interest died out.

Let us know if you hear anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wings&Things

I am unaware of any club or organisation which caters for model rocketry in Ireland, however you may get some informational help from web sites such as http://www.rocket-simulator.com
    or there are also reference to other sites in the links directory of www.bmfa.org/links
    As yet, www.maci.ie (Model Aeronautics Council of Ireland) does not have enough interested people to have rocketry included in their spectrum. Perhaps you could change all that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Thanks for the rocket links Wings

It would be nice if boards could be a focus place for Irish model rocketry.

I have heard myself that the law is going to be changed.

This would mean that irish shops would be able to stock and sell rocket fuel in the future, and that restriction was always the problem which mail order couldn't solve (hazardous material mailing restrictions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

I have researched this topic pretty extensively, and unfortunately Model Rocketry is illegal in the Republic.

Model Rockets are classed as fireworks and as such are illegal; I have tried to get info on trying to get a license etc and on every attempt I cannot get more info.

Afaik, theres no way for a 'civilian' to legally do model rocketry. Now as far as getting a license to do so, I just hit a brick wall and just couldnt find anywhere to get more info.

Moreover, you cannot purchase the materials here and It's a bitch trying to import that sort of stuff. I couldnt even get myself some Saltpetre (Potassium Nitrate) which is a food ingredient, because of its explosive properties (can be used to make model rocket engines)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Saltpeter, sulpher and charcoal make gun powder, same stuff used in fireworks and I think model rocketery :cool:

coolwings wrote:
    I have heard myself that the law is going to be changed.
    This would mean that irish shops would be able to stock and sell rocket fuel in the future...
    SolarNexus wrote:
    I have researched this topic pretty extensively, and unfortunately Model Rocketry is illegal in the Republic.
    At the moment ... yes....but let's wait and see what happens.... ;)

Plug wrote:
    Saltpeter, sulpher and charcoal make gun powder, same stuff used in fireworks and I think model rocketery :cool:
    technically "black powder", but all you need to make a rocket engine is Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) and Sucros (cane sugar, regular white sugar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 javaguy

I've researched the statute books and can only find two references to what would be considered model rocketry:

1. IRISH AVIATION AUTHORITY (ROCKETS AND SMALL AIRCRAFT) ORDER, 2000, S.I. No. 25/2000:
    This statute restricts the launching of rockets but explicitly says it does NOT apply " (b) to a model rocket using not more than 100 grams (0.1 kilogram) of propellant or using a slow burning propellant and made of paper, wood or frangible plastic containing no substantial parts and weighing no more than half a kilogram (0.5 kilogram) operated in a manner that does not create a hazard to persons, property or other aircraft;..."

2. European Communities (Placing on the Market and Supervision of Explosives for Civil Uses) Regulations, 1995:
    "D. Propellants and rocket propellants.
    ( a ) These materials must not detonate when used for their intended purpose.
    ( b ) Propellants where necessary (e.g. those based on nitrocellulose) must be stabilised against decomposition.
    ( c ) Solid rocket propellants, when in compressed or cast form, must not contain any unintentional fissures or gas bubbles which dangerously affect their functioning.

I see absolutely nothing that prohibits model rocketry. Nor can I find anything that restricts the import of model rocket propellants. If you can site a relevant statute that I have missed, please bring it to our attention.

I rang up the Gardaí when I did my research, which admitedly was a few years back (I doubt the law has changed since, but its possible), and they explicitly said they were illegal. I also contacted whoever is the ruling authority on explosive substances, I forget who, but they too said it was illegal. They may have been wrong, but I'm sure if you dont have the local Gardaí backing you up, give it up - its not worth the hassle or possible jail time

personally, if I thought it was possible, I'd be buying myself some Saltpetre (KNO3) and make my own rocket engines/smoke bombs. I'd love to give it a try as I never got a chance to do _any_ chemistry of any type and although this is a far call from it, I think it'd be a fun hobby if done safely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks be to Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the donkey.

- Thought I was going to have to hang a motorbike helmet by the front door.

Wanna buy a rocket ... buy an acre of ground, and wait !

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Just bumping this up to see if there have been any new developments on the model rocketry front in this country? I would love to get involved in it.

@coolwings: Can you elaborate on your comments regarding possible changes in the works? Please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

I am not 100% sure, but i heard the law against rockets has changed recently. I am not sure as to what class (if any) its changed for.
    Also, my LHS is now stocking rockets, again, not sure how powerful they are.

That's great news.
    Would you know of anywhere down the south/southeast or Limerick areas that would be stocking some of the stuff and do you have any idea of prices?
    Thanks.

I'm still waiting to get the change in the law reported back to me. But I understand that from now on, the biggest problem will be getting the rocket fuel, not the rockets themselves.
    The fuel is a class A firework, and has very many restrictions on transport/insurance.

As soon as I have it in detail I will post the up to date here.

@coolwings:
    When you say fuel I presume to mean the solid rocket "motors" not liquid fuel? Is it only the rocket shell that will be easier to purchase now or will it be easier to purchase rockets that come with the "motors" preinstalled like a kit or such or would that still come under the same restrictions as the motors on their own?

Is there a debate taking place somewhere on the legislation governing this and are there any links to info online or are we relying on stuff filtering down from the powers that be?

Sorry for the cross-examination, just interested in developments and thanks for the update.

syl77 wrote:
    I am not 100% sure, but i heard the law against rockets has changed recently. I am not sure as to what class (if any) its changed for.
    Also, my LHS is now stocking rockets, again, not sure how powerful they are.

Where is your LHS (local hobby shop?) I'd like to check their stock

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Model World, Lisbaun Industrial Estate, Galway.
    http://www.modelworld.tv/

Better to ring as website does not show all stock. Hope they have what your looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

ok. my bro was in america for the summer and he brought me back a rocket w/built-in camera. so i can take an arial photo while it is in the air :). so ,i hope we can get fuel or get it imported soon :(

• Advertisement

What size is the rocket?

:mad: :mad: :(:( ah ffs. i brought it out today, there is a "green" in the middle of the estate. I now know how big the area has to be. ITS GONE as it was coming down it drifted accros the river and into trees :( :mad: :( :mad: . it was an estes snapshot it used c6-5 fuel i still have fuel, launch pad and launcher thingy but no rocket. i think i might get another but i will only use it in like the 15 acres in phoinex park :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shane0312

Flunked, how did you manage to import the rocket fuel?

um. my bro was in america for the summer and he brought a rocket back as a pressie so while he was at it he got some motors. they are very small packets for the motors so it is very easy to get em threw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭greg-h

As one can not buy rocket motors in ireland it seams obvious what one should do build your own. There fore a group of us have established the csra (cork,space,research,association) all equipment is home made. We are expecting the a1 to fly by christmas while explorer 1 should be redy to go by summer 06. The formation of the csra seamed the only logical step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 johngkelly

Hi Greg,
    Is there any update from the csra. I've been frustrated by the impossibility of getting model rockets here and have finally come to the conclusion that I should start putting stuff together myself. would love to hear how you are getting on and further details of the association

I have a few engine left up my drawer, a starting thing and a launch pad, just no rocket since it flew away, tho as soon as i can a compatible rocket i will got to somewhere thats big!and will crsa do up engines for the poeple in need?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

If you really want to get hold of some, I can make a few up for you, but I'd need to know the size you want etc.

First post in this thread in a year...:eek:

Right now I don't need the motors right now as I have 3 or 4, But I don't have a rocket to use them in :(
    If I do get another rocket I might take you up on the offer;)
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Anyone see Nationwide last Wed?
    Showed St Pat's Rocket club in Tuam.

Was wondering if anyone had contacted to see where they got their motors.

Advertisement