Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do landlords have to provide beds for each bedroom?

Options
  • 05-06-2005 11:26pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just put a deposit on a new apartment. It has 2 doublerooms and 1 single. The single, as is often the case in 3-bed apartments, is quite small. It being new, the landlord/agency currently only have a chair in it, presumably so potential tenants don't realise how small it actually is...

But we're still 3 people and we're not sharing a room so we'll be using this room. My question is: does the landlord have to provide a bed for this room or do we have to buy it? The apartment was advertised as a 3-bedroom place (and still is) on daft.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ixoy wrote:
    I've just put a deposit on a new apartment. It has 2 doublerooms and 1 single. The single, as is often the case in 3-bed apartments, is quite small. It being new, the landlord/agency currently only have a chair in it, presumably so potential tenants don't realise how small it actually is...

But we're still 3 people and we're not sharing a room so we'll be using this room. My question is: does the landlord have to provide a bed for this room or do we have to buy it? The apartment was advertised as a 3-bedroom place (and still is) on daft.ie.

well if it's advertised as fully furnished i'd expect a bed. Afraid that is only opinion tho...can't find anything to back it up.

When i moved into my one bed place i had to get the Landlord to get me a bed....and what a uncomfortable piece of **** it is too...why not get a decent comfortable bed yourself. just an idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If the property is advertised as furnished (or semi-furnished) with three bedrooms, then there has to be beds in three bedrooms. Any room described as double or twin would need appropriate beds.

If it is advertised "as-is" or unfurnished, then the is no obligation to have beds.

There are legal minimum standards for the size of a bedroom for new planning permissions (i.e. any new property over the last few years or any new conversion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Victor wrote:

There are legal minimum standards for the size of a bedroom for new planning permissions (i.e. any new property over the last few years or any new conversion).

Any chance you know what the legal standards are? I have been trying to find out for a atttic conversion and can't find out a legal standrad for size. It seems to be more implied rather than stated. Once there is ventilation , bed fits and height is right I can't find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It applies more to new properties than to conversions, but certainkly I think there are limits set down in city / county development plans as a development standard.

I think there are also some national standard but I'm not sure where.

From Written Statement of Dublin City Development Plan 2005-2011 (2.5 mb)
    15.9.3 Internal Layout of Residential Units
    The minimum size of rooms required for new developments and
    conversions in all instances is set out below.
    Room Minimum Area
    Living area 11 sq.m.
    Kitchen area 5 sq.m.
    Dining Area 4 sq.m.
    Bathroom 4 sq.m.
    Bedroom (Double) 10.2 sq.m.
    Bedroom (Single) 6.5 sq.m.
    • All rooms should be of a reasonable shape and proportion and have
    adequate space for normal living purposes. The shape and layout of
    rooms should maximise the amenity of residents. Indicative furniture
    layouts to scale should be shown on the plans.
    • All living rooms, kitchens and bedrooms should be so located as to
    avoid facing towards nearby high boundary or gable walls.
    • In the case of conversions, partition walls within and between residential
    units shall not cut across windows.
    • Where possible kitchens should be provided as separate rooms,
    however subject to acceptable layout, kitchen dining and living areas
    may be combined in open plan layout.
    • All dwellings units shall have at least one bedroom which is a minimum
    of 10.2sq.m. in floor area.
    • Space should be provided for the segregation of waste.

Full plan http://www.dublincity.ie/business_services/planning/development_plan_2011/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I am pretty sure the development plan means nothing. I think it's just desire not regulations. They still seem like good guidlelines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

As it turned out, they provided the extra bed without fuss. Moving in today so I may yet have to return to these pages to moan...

Advertisement