Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The destruction of Ballymun Tower

• 06-06-2005 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Was the Tower destroyed by an explosion or an implosion?

Settle a bet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Implosion. An explosion would just cause a lot of damage to surrounding buildings etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

explosion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Implosion - it's how all the Vegas hotels get razed to the ground............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

Implosion, definately implosion.

See the kid who got to press the button on the Mc Donagh tower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Djddd1

Implosion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I think either could be correct, it depends on how you look at it.

You could say that it imploded if your not taking the technical meaning of the word "implosion" but the way it's used in the context of demolisions, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implosion.

Or would it not be more correct to say that it was demolished with a number of controlled explosions which had the net result of what is commonly called an implosion, but in reality is only the structure collapsing onto itself as a result of the explosions weaking it.

It was exploded if your being techanical about it.
    It was imploded if your going by the everday usage of the word in relation to demolisions.

Since you posted in the engineering forum I'm going with the technically correct definition and saying it Exploded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

pauln wrote:
    I think either could be correct, it depends on how you look at it.

You could say that it imploded if your not taking the technical meaning of the word "implosion" but the way it's used in the context of demolisions, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implosion.

Or would it not be more correct to say that it was demolished with a number of controlled explosions which had the net result of what is commonly called an implosion, but in reality is only the structure collapsing onto itself as a result of the explosions weaking it.

It was exploded if your being techanical about it.
    It was imploded if your going by the everday usage of the word in relation to demolisions.

Since you posted in the engineering forum I'm going with the technically correct definition and saying it Exploded.

I was using the term implosion as in the everyday usage in relation to demolisions.

Advertisement