Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA: SA [pc] to use SF3???

Options
  • 06-06-2005 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy,

only saw over the weekend that SA_pc is on dvd. Now after the disaster that was SplinterCell3 and SF3 I was wondering does anybody know if Rockstar are going the SF3 route with SA?

a few 'quick' searches seem to reveal rumours that it might use SF3 but I'm not seeing anything concreete yet.

**** them if they are. Of all the pc games out, SA was 'the' game I wanted.
    I do not fancy going thru the extreme workaround for SF3 just for 1 damn game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

San Andreas won't be released in the US for the PC til Monday / Tuesday (varying store dates) and has not been leaked, as far as i know!

I don't think 'San Andreas' will be using SF3... there's no evidence to suggest otherwise but apparently it was revealed that they lost quite a bit of popularity / sales due to it being on Splinter Cell 3.

EDIT: Actually, i could be wrong about the fact it's not leaked yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I know it's not released yet or leaked.

I'm hoping it wont carry SF3 cos I just wont buy it.

kaimera wrote:
    I know it's not released yet or leaked.
    See Edit above! Could be BS though!
    kaimera wrote:
    I'm hoping it wont cos I just wont buy it IF it carries SF3....
    I agree with you there mate... won't be buying it with SF3 protection either. Every PC game i own i've made a backup of it and keep it safe... those discs are very feckin' frail!

Especially with a 3 year old nephew who likes to play with the shiny discs! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

There an odd topic if it uses Sf3 its uses Sf3 still the best game ever, think they entitled to protect their investment from people who want to download it or copy it.

Some games are worth buying this is one of them.

kdjac

it's that SF3 games wont play properly in my machine kdjaC. I dont care or backing up my disks cos I'm careful enough with the originals.

it's too much grief trying to get SF3 games working for me atm :(

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote:
    it's that SF3 games wont play properly in my machine kdjaC. I dont care or backing up my disks cos I'm careful enough with the originals.

it's too much grief trying to get SF3 games working for me atm :(

According to the NFo its not in it.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    According to the NFo its not in it.

kdjac
    As far as i can see, the game hasn't been leaked so you're more than likely looking at the NFO for the map-pack (booklet, CD, front cover, back cover)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Eh...what the hell is sf3? Like Steam?

Or what?

I just havent actually bought a PC game in so long.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its not unusual for games to have different copy protections when they release over here. Any .nfo file released would be from an American version so it may not apply over here.

EDIT: SF3 = Starforce, a very troublesome but hard to crack copy protection

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Eh...what the hell is sf3? Like Steam?

Or what?

I just havent actually bought a PC game in so long.... :o

From the context I have the horrible feeling they mean the horrific and disastrous Star Force protection system. It's the only copy protection to protect games from legitimate users. It installs it's own drivers in Windows, and since these run at system level, vulnerabilities in them have meant major problems. Assuming they don't just bluescreen your machine or break your cd-rom drives. And since they're 32bit drivers, anyone on WinXP 64 bit can never play them. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote:
    It installs it's own drivers in Windows, and since these run at system level, vulnerabilities in them have meant major problems. Assuming they don't just bluescreen your machine or break your cd-rom drives. And since they're 32bit drivers, anyone on WinXP 64 bit can never play them. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
    Yeah.. it can seriously feck up your system.

But like i said.. they lost a lot of respect (and not to mention) sales with the complaints about Star Force.

basquille wrote:
    As far as i can see, the game hasn't been leaked so you're more than likely looking at the NFO for the map-pack (booklet, CD, front cover, back cover)

Look some more :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was Trackmania 1 SF2 or SF3, does anyone know? I know it used SF, but was totally cracked, and that Trackmania 2 is SF3, and SF3 would also have been cracked if it were "out on Doom3" by the serious crackers.

What I'm saying is, is that if SA has SF3 on it, ALOT of people will DL it, rather than risk getting their machine fúcked over by SF3.

But any of the cracked SF games still rely on the SF drivers to be installed. But they just trick into thinking there is a real disk in the drive.

aye, SC: CT being the notable one atm. available for dl but still carries SF3.

I dont think it can be removed, only emulated and thats the problem.

it's fine if you want to disable all yer ide/s_ata drives physically before playing.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

My personal view on this matter.

I will boycott this game if it uses SF3. I have seen first hands the problem this copyright protection system can cause a pc and have read online a long list of problems people have had with SF3. Even if it fuctioned correctly the fact that your not informed abouts its installation and the fact that won't uninstall along with the software that installed is in my view wrong (and many would agree with me). The fact that my legitimately owned copy of Silent Hunter III has not had the latest patched version cracked annoys me greatly I have no cd-cracks for nearly all my games. I'm planning on a reformat shortly but this has given me added incentive to hurry up and do it. Neither Silent Hunter III (which I think is a good sim) or Brothers in Arms (to which I'm indifferent about) are going to be reinstalled unless a method is found which will allow the installation of the game without the Starforce drivers also being installed at the same time.

I enjoyed GTA Vice City and needless to say I'm hoping that GTA SA will not use SF3.

Apparently, GTA: SA on the PC uses..

.. Securerom 7.

HOORAY!

w00t.

I only wanted to check it didn't use SF3. Now to get a US version brought over for me!...[literally]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

KdjaC wrote:
    Look some more :D

kdjac
    Ahhh... ok. No it ain't been cracked yet.

For those who want to know when it is - some kind soul created this wee page:

http://represent.webstylez.net/gtacheck.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

just after getting my order posted email from play \o/

it seems fate is a cruel mistress though. i'll end up playing the ps2 version on friday, despite avoiding it since launch :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

tman wrote:
    just after getting my order posted email from play \o/

it seems fate is a cruel mistress though. i'll end up playing the ps2 version on friday, despite avoiding it since launch :(

Snap. I bought a PS2 when SA was released but not played more than an hour of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Mixie wrote:
    Snap. I bought a PS2 when SA was released but not played more than an hour of it yet.

Ditto. Whats the PC release date?

Loobz wrote:
    Ditto. Whats the PC release date?
    Friday, i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

If it has starforce 3 spyware integrated I won't be buying it. Way to lose a sale tbh :p

Praetorian wrote:
    If it has starforce 3 spyware integrated I won't be buying it. Way to lose a sale tbh :p
    Word from the other side of the pond confirms it uses SecureRom7! (thank f*ck! :D)

Starforce could hardly be described as Spyware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

basquille wrote:
    Friday, i think!

Tasty! I forgot that it was so close to PC release. Thank God, now I can see what my PS2 buddies have been goin on about, and more, much more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

id classify it as Malware, ive never had anything but problems with any SF game. i hope they re-release X2 without SF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Just buy the game if you want it.

Most people that say "OMG it has teh StarF**K, now I won't buy this game" were more than likely going to DL the game.

There are *some* honest problems with starforce but a lot of it just comes down to monkeys whining.

You want to play the game, buy it, put the cd in and play it.

ATM I have 1 starforce game, TrackMaina: Sunrise. I just leave the disc in the drive and when I want to play, it starts up. Most other games are MMOs or Half-life so they are automatically No-CDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

According to nforce it's been released.

Though it's a Clone so it won't probably won't work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement