Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Pimp

Options
  • 06-06-2005 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Galwaydude18 has been pimping his cat5 cabling since March. It was his 5th post. Now his sig is proudly proclaiming the fact that he now takes Paypal (apart from being a ridiculously large image in his sig as well.

I don't mind as long as part of his profits are returned to DeV and the boys ;)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

loath as i am to cast stones...but i reckon your sig breaks a few rules too. ;)

Tbh, I'm not too sure about Galwaydude18's pimping.....is it a small operation run by a kid trying to make a few bucks or is it more substantial than that? i've bought off him....i don't know. Perhaps he should pay a royalty to boards for the opportunity to make money....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Ah mine's ok
    4 lines normal size OR 8 lines small size
    . hmmm - I added in the link to Unreal.ie - ok ok ok - I'll reduce the font ;)

It was actually the size of the image that annoyed me. I saw the post on FS ages ago and didn't give a monkeys.

[edit] There - happy now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

RuggieBear wrote:
    loath as i am to cast stones...but i reckon your sig breaks a few rules too. ;)

People in glass houses Ruggie....
    For images in signatures: 1 image up to 300 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 20k in size. No animated images are allowed.

:D

Like you say though, it's a small time operation so I don't see the problem but then the decision's not mine.

0utshined wrote:
    People in glass houses Ruggie....

:D

I'll refer you to this post ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Ha ha, I like it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Jees, its good service. Anywhere else and you'd pay treble what he offers. He's just trying to make a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Leave Galway off he is actually offering a good service. Would rather see him help someone out and make a few quid. Rather than some poor soul wandering and paying 15euro for a 4ft Cat5 cable in PC world or the like . He does it to any length and does a cross over cable as well. He's in college so its not like its his profession. Think unkel does a cable sleeving business on the side as well but he doesnt pimp it.Small biz to help out some boarders cant hurt surely.

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nukem wrote:
    Leave Galway off he is actually offering a good service. Would rather see him help someone out and make a few quid. Rather than some poor soul wandering and paying 15euro for a 4ft Cat5 cable in PC world or the like . He does it to any length and does a cross over cable as well. He's in college so its not like its his profession. Think unkel does a cable sleeving business on the side as well but he doesnt pimp it.Small biz to help out some boarders cant hurt surely.

Nukem

I agree. It's not like it's a large scale commercial entity.

Hmmm. Can I add a "massage" service to my sig then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

how about a "services" section...

only for boardies who are confirmed non-comercial traders, 10eu once off charge to post your ad.
    would be good for a bit of revenue for boards and could identify spammers who just stick there ads all over the place?

i think galwaydude does a good job but he must be making some money off it at this stage.

A closed forum with a bunch of stickied posts as "ads"?

Could work.

I've always though "stickies" could be "sold" as ad space. But that's just the marketer in me. People are more likely to read a sticky then they are to click on a banner imo.

• Advertisement

but who'd read a sticky full of advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

nesf wrote:
    A closed forum with a bunch of stickied posts as "ads"?

Could work.

I've always though "stickies" could be "sold" as ad space. But that's just the marketer in me. People are more likely to read a sticky then they are to click on a banner imo.
    you couldnt sell out the stickies....
    itd be like adware,
    youd think you were getting the best advice when actually you were getting the advice that paid the best money.

still thanks for kinda agreeing with me :)
    the forum wouldnt have to be totally closed,
    new threads would need to be paid for,
    anyone could reply with questions / feedback in your thread once its been approved.
    i think vbulletin allows a feature like this....

RuggieBear wrote:
    but who'd read a sticky full of advertising?

Who'd click on a banner?

These people exist, they just aren't you or me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Right I took off the link to my thread and the bit about paypal as well... Hope that keeps ye all happy... Talk about some serious issues with you guys... I only every make about a €1 profit on any cable that I sell... Not making millions on it or anything....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Macros42 wrote:
    Galwaydude18 has been pimping his cat5 cabling since March. It was his 5th post. Now his sig is proudly proclaiming the fact that he now takes Paypal (apart from being a ridiculously large image in his sig as well.

I don't mind as long as part of his profits are returned to DeV and the boys ;)

Why would you do something like this? Keep to yourself you idiot.

Actually im not sure my sig breaks any rules.. It was make up by one of the guys in the photoshoppage fourm....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭1

Right I took off the link to my thread and the bit about paypal as well... Hope that keeps ye all happy... Talk about some serious issues with you guys... I only every make about a €1 profit on any cable that I sell... Not making millions on it or anything....

Thats not really the issue.

It is still commercial selling and you are creating the enviroment where the mods are left in the position of "ohhh but you let him do it" next time some one tries to flog 5 GFX cards or some other "small" thing.

The for sale board is for private individuals makeing private sales. You have over stepped that mark.

Sorry but thats just the way it is.

Your speakers look lovely beside my black PC by the way :)

Well actuall this issue has been to the mods before and they agreed that it was ok... So leave it well enough alone. Jesus some of ye have nothing better to do. All I make is €1 from every cable and I use that to pay off a loan that I have with the bank due to falling victim of an Internet fraud a year last february that has cost me over €5000....... Please leave me alone.. Oh and what black speakers are you on about?

Jesus some of ye have nothing better to do.

Exactly. I can't comprehend why they would bother doing this unless they are trying to earn some brownie points.

Spiteful

Now you said it I am Man... Pure spiteful.. Trying to be good guys when they are actually trying to ruin something that so many people on boards have had 110% complete satisification. Not one single complaint. I have even sent out cables to people for free that have gotten lost in the post thus I had to lose out on the cost of the cable and had to pay for postage. I mean how am I doing anything wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Jesus lad's the chap is making sfa profit on those cables, Have ye ever had to crimp cables its a pain in the arse and this chap is doing it for you and selling it for a very reasonable price. I've never bought off the chap but I still know what the cost of the cable and heads are and he is being overly fair with the price.

I am MAN wrote:
    Exactly. I can't comprehend why they would bother doing this unless they are trying to earn some brownie points.

Spiteful

*shrugs*

Personally, I think it was right to post here about it. It gives people a chance to talk about it and express an opinion. The vast majority of posters don't think this is a big issue or anything but a guy trying to make a few quid on the side.

Although, to be fair, a PM to the mod in question would have been an clean and easy way to deal with this.

And as I have already pointed out the mods have already had a chat about this and gave me the all clear about. I had an argument on another thread with a guy before and we both sent a PM to lemming who looked into the matter and he spoke to other mods and possibly people higher than him and they all gave me the all clear. This issue has already been resolved so there is no need to continue and try make a good situation worse by moaning about it. MODS SAID IT WAS OK FOR ME TO PROVIDE THE SERVICE AS I AM MAKING VERY LITTLE MONEY FROM IT! so please go and stop bugging me about this please.....????

Calm yourself down mate.

No need to get worked up over it. Personally I like to see the kind of thing you were/are doing going on. It's nice to see people in Ireland not charging an arm and a leg for things.

I am MAN wrote:
    Why would you do something like this? Keep to yourself you idiot.

Good response. Thanks for your constructive input. Now go away and think of another witty response.[/sarcasm]

And as I have already pointed out the mods have already had a chat about this and gave me the all clear about. I had an argument on another thread with a guy before and we both sent a PM to lemming who looked into the matter and he spoke to other mods and possibly people higher than him and they all gave me the all clear. This issue has already been resolved so there is no need to continue and try make a good situation worse by moaning about it. MODS SAID IT WAS OK FOR ME TO PROVIDE THE SERVICE AS I AM MAKING VERY LITTLE MONEY FROM IT! so please go and stop bugging me about this please.....????

I apologise for starting this thread. I was going to pm you about the sig and then didn't. In my defense I had had a couple of drinks (it was quite late) when i made the post. It was actually just the size of the image that annoyed me - I have a pet hate of oversized images in sigs (that includes Ruggie Bear's one - even though I quite like the image ;) ). I took it out on the rest of your sig and your service which, in hindsight, was unfair. :o

Again sorry. Now we should just let the issue die I think.

Macros42 wrote:
    Good response. Thanks for your constructive input. Now go away and think of another witty response.[/sarcasm]

And you call yourself constructive for the comment you made? It was pure SPITEFUL and nothing else.

Who gains from you posting this thread? ABSOLUTELY NOONE. Galwaydude is at a loss because of you and so are the people who enjoyed the service he provided. So my motive for posting is that NOONE gains from the posting of your thread exposing the link in his sig and I find it especially spiteful considering you are not a moderator of anything belonging to boards.ie

Mark

nesf wrote:
    Although, to be fair, a PM to the mod in question would have been an clean and easy way to deal with this.

Actually a PM to Galwaydude would have been the best way for me to do this. Then he could have told me privately that the mods had ok-ed it and explained the circumstances. Then I wouldn't have been so embarassed about it in public :o

Macros42 wrote:
    Actually a PM to Galwaydude would have been the best way for me to do this. Then he could have told me privately that the mods had ok-ed it and explained the circumstances. Then I wouldn't have been so embarassed about it in public :o

One question. What's it to you? He shouldn't have to explain himself to anyone other than a moderator.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Bickering muppets. STFU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement