Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Methinks my iPod's broken...

• 06-06-2005 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Got me an iPod (20GB, third gen afaik) this morning from my dad... he was given it about a year ago when he left work by his workmates and it's been sitting in the house not getting used since then (dad can barely use a remote control and still hasn't figured out the DVD player) so he reckoned I should take it until I've saved up enough to buy my own and have some cash to spare...

But I digress...

The point of that little story is that I don't think it's still in warranty and even if it was I wouldn't know where it was bought from...

I reset it today using the iPod Updater thingymajigger and set it up for me, was working grand for ages but as soon as I hit 114MB of music on it it refuses to transfer any songs to it and gives me an Unknown Error message and everything's funked up...

Tried resetting it a few times, reformatting and flashing it, using that menu and play button or menu and select button trick or whichever it was and then tried using the Windows scandisk thingy but the scandisk freezes...

When I get to 114MB it kinda makes a tiny bit more noise than usual and then gives me the error... the iPod's always been kept somewhere it hasn't been knocked around or damaged at all...

Aaaanyways if it's a hardware problem is there a way to find out if it's still under warranty and get it fixed for free cos if there's no way of me fixing it for free there's no point cos I'm gonna have to buy one for myself at some point anyway and may aswell just get it after the next big fat paycheque (I wish...)

Thanks for the help if anyone can :)

P.S. Where's the cheapest place to get an iPod mini (4GB, preferably not online) cos that's what I'd be wanting (think my music taste's too narrow to warrant 20GB)... seen them in the O2 store for €209 which I reckin is pretty alright...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Yeh, might just go for that... thanks

Where's this student store btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,048 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Steve... try using the Diagnostic mode:

http://www.methodshop.com/mp3/ipodsupport/diagnosticmode/index.shtml

Try running the following tests and let me know the results.. and i'll get back to you:

5 In 1 Performs a series of tests including checking the backlight, memory, and USB ports.
    A2D STAT Battery and power supply related.
    HARD R/W Read and write hard drive test. Reads HDD pass if all goes well.
    SMRT DAT Another hard drive test. Reads RETRACTS 4 REALLOCS 0 PENDING 0.
    SMRT SCAN Appears to be akin to a regular iPod's Disk Scan test. This takes several minutes so don't perform this test unless the iPod is plugged into a power source.
    DRV TEMP Displays drive temperature.

(more info on Diagnostic Mode available here: http://www.finseth.com/parts/ipod.html)

Have had an iPod for almost 3 years now and hasn't given me a bit of trouble! Don't give up on it just yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

steveland? wrote:
    Yeh, might just go for that... thanks

Where's this student store btw

Go to
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/irl

There is a link on the right hand side of the page under the panel marked "More Stores", click on education. You have to give the name of an educational institute to sign in.

Cheers
    Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Does the educational discount only work when ordering online? Can you go into compub and get one??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Pacifico wrote:
    Does the educational discount only work when ordering online? Can you go into compub and get one??
    Not 100% sure on that but Compub do give educational discounts on-line also.

Advertisement