Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legend Hero Roy Keane issues rallying call to crestfallen team-mates

• 06-06-2005 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Keane issues rallying call to crestfallen team-mates
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1410853&issue_id=12577

ROY KEANE stood in the Ireland dressing room on Saturday night and issued a World Cup rallying cry to his disappointed team-mates.

The Manchester United skipper, who was suspended for Saturday's match, watched in frustration from the sidelines as Ireland squandered a two-goal lead - and the chance to take control of Group Four.

As the Irish players sat in despair in the bowels of the West Stand listening to the Israelis celebrating as though they had won the World Cup itself, Keane took the floor and delivered a rousing call to arms.

He told his devastated team-mates not to be negative about the result and pointed out the positives of winning in the Faroes, explaining that victory on Wednesday would put the team top of Group Four and set them up for the autumn internationals against France, Cyprus and Switzerland.

It's not the first time that Keane has spoken to his team-mates in the dressing room after a game during this campaign. He also addressed them in Paris after the scoreless draw against France and his message has proved to be quite prophetic - as Ireland manager Brian Kerr recalled.

"I remember distinctly in France, when we were all fairly happy about how it went, Roy forecast that there would be a few bumps in this group," said the Ireland manager.

Kerr claimed that Keane's latest rallying call was an indication of the togetherness within the squad. "Roy was trying to say positive things and that shows a very good spirit amongst the players," said Kerr.

Keane was sorely missed on Saturday as Ireland lost a two-goal lead in a competitive match for the first time since the 2-2 draw away to Holland in 2000. Ironically the Dutch were also the last team to come from two down in a competitive game in Dublin when they won 3-2 at Dalymount Park in 1983.

"Roy is the one player you'd like to have for every match," said Kerr. "The team is developing and there's a lot of stuff going on where they are still learning in many ways. They are learning international football and how it has to be when you get into a lead.

"Of course, someone like Roy can still have an effect on that because there are a lot of young players in the team. If you look at the average age of the squad, it's quite young for international football.

"We missed Roy on Saturday night and it will be great to have him back on Wednesday - and hopefully for our games against Cyprus, France and Switzerland.

Despite Saturday's setback, Ireland still have control of their own destiny but the margin for error has been dramatically reduced.

Four wins from the away trips to the Faroes and Cyprus, plus the home games against France and Switzerland, will give Ireland 22 points and guarantee them top spot in Group Four and automatic qualification, no matter what happens elsewhere.

Israel, who have three games left, can obtain a maximum of 20 points, while the Swiss would need only a draw at Lansdowne Road in October to top the group if they managed to beat France, Israel and Cyprus beforehand.

France, who have ten points afer six games, are in exactly the same position as Ireland in neeeding to win their remaining four games to be guaranteed their place in Germany, so the stage is set for a mouth-watering clash when Les Blues play in Dublin on September 7.

"We've still got a chance," insisted Kerr. "Now it's the job of the staff to pick everyone up for Wednesday and make sure we get stuck in.

"When reality sets in and the players see the table and the possibilities, we'll be back and we'll be right for Wednesday night.

"The reality is we are still in with a shout of winning the group. We still have a good team and there are still a lot of positive things about the team, but we need to go on. It's a rather unusual situation that there hasn't been a clear-cut result in the group so far, but it was not for the want of trying on our part and I won't fault the players for their effort."

Meanwhile, Switzerland hero Alex Frei is tipping the Faroe Islands to spring a surprise on Wednesday.

"I'm convinced the Faroes can get a result against Ireland," predicted Frei, who scored twice in the last 17 minutes to give the Swiss a 3-1 victory erland in cold, wind-swept Toftir on Saturday.

Its players like Roy Keane who we need now ! Players like him only come around once a generation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah great an aging player with dodgy hips who walked out us last time we needed him. Perfect :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

If we had roy on the pitch after the Robbie Keane goal I am pretty sure that we would have held on and took the three points.

I dont think the Faroes match is going to be easy.. The Switzz were lucky in the end.. only that Frei fella got a few goals.

Personally I was delighted the Israeli keeper got a bucket of ice cold water over him. there is no way in hell that he should have gotten away with those acts of murder.

Were in the same position as France now.. if we beat the faroes that is. The match in September is going to be a cracker !!

Duffer is right though, we really have to start learning how to finish off teams. We need more leadership in the center of the park slow things down and dive more. I just pray RMK will be available for the remaining matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I don't see how the players can respect Keane after what he did in 2002. He's trying to be a leader now but why wasn't acting like one at the world cup instead of acting like a big girl and runinng home? I certainly wouldn't give him a shred of respect or tolerance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well as much as I hate Keano after the last World Cup, I have to say we need him badly right now, he has more experience than any of current players and probably more than the manager. Players respect those better than them and lets face it apart from Duffer, Keane is streets ahead of most of the team.

The players will listen to what he has to say adn if he can help lift the spirits in the camp before wednesday that can only be a good thing. Love or hate him he is probably the best player we have at the moment, I mean facing France what other midfielder could be confident about facing Veira? Keane can play him off the park and we'll need that against the French.

Keane will play him off the park if there's two other central midfield players helping him. Players won't listen if they don't respect him.

• Advertisement

Gangsta wrote:
    Keane will play him off the park if there's two other central midfield players helping him. Players won't listen if they don't respect him.
    What makes you think players don't respect him, there is very few of the older players left from the saipan incident, I'm sure most of the players really enjoy training and playing with Roy, players always want to play with the best players they can and as I said like it or not he is probably our best player.

Lets not start digging up the past. Japan is over ! Its all about getting to Germany now !! All of the players want to qualify for Germany.

Roy Keane is one of the all time legends of soccer. No one else in the squad has his kind of authority and motivational powers. This Irish team is very young and experienced (inc manager and players) but has a lot of quality. We need someone like Roy there to nitt it all together.

I said IF they don't respect him. Powerful word "if" is but clearly you've been with the lads during training and seen that they absolutely love him and could get on any better. Duff is our best player by a mile.

It won't be an easy game against the Faroes but we have to pick up the 3points as I can't see us beating France no matter how badly they're playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Gangsta wrote:
    I don't see how the players can respect Keane after what he did in 2002. He's trying to be a leader now but why wasn't acting like one at the world cup instead of acting like a big girl and runinng home?

He was asctign like a leader, but either the players where to young to know any better, or they didn't realy care as this was thier swan song.

Keano is and has been one of our best players/leaders.
    I just hope it isn't too late, as soon as the game went 2-1 on Sat i stopped watching , i could see it happening, i buggered off , got a text and sure enough , 2 - 2 :mad:

Gangsta wrote:
    I said IF they don't respect him. Powerful word "if" is but clearly you've been with the lads during training and seen that they absolutely love him and could get on any better. Duff is our best player by a mile.

It won't be an easy game against the Faroes but we have to pick up the 3points as I can't see us beating France no matter how badly they're playing.

Well Gangsta, I personally haven't seen a training session but I have close connections within the FAI and I can assure you Keane is respected by all the players, party through fear and partly through respect for his ability.

I said probably our best player :D Duff was found wanting sat night but yes when he performs he can be our best player

• Advertisement

Megatron wrote:
    He was asctign like a leader, but either the players where to young to know any better, or they didn't realy care as this was thier swan song.

There's no use in complaining about things and then not doing anything to reactify the problem. But enough og Japan and let's focus on the game on Wednesday. How do you think we're set, Robbie's been confirmed he's out.

Roy Keane is our best player by far. Technical ability is one thing but when you start losing your head like Duff did on saturday you might as well have U-18's out there.

Alll the players in the squad totally respect Roy and so do I. I was pissed with Roy leaving in Japan but its the best thing that happened to the team. This team is crying out for leadership

Is robbie defo out??

Yep he is: http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,2483_508241,00.html

I hope he doesn't play duffer up front

He has to go for Elliott up front

Given

Carr---Cunningham--O'Shea-Harte

Reid
    Keane
    Kilbane--Duff

Morisson----Elliott

Israel have yet to play in basel... it might be another draw !

Sorry but after sat I wouldn't be starting O'Shea, I'd go with the team you posted but I'd had have Dunne instead of O'Shea.

irish1 wrote:
    Sorry but after sat I wouldn't be starting O'Shea, I'd go with the team you posted but I'd had have Dunne instead of O'Shea.
    Defo O'Shea is getting really clumsy. Why wasn't Dunne playing on Saturday?

IMO Kerr prefers O'Brien because he's a bit quicker and well Cunningham isn't the fastest so I suppose he wants one CB with a bit of pace.

I think O Shea Cunnigham partnership might be a diaster in the faroes. Dunne has all the pace but is always a bit hit and miss. What kind of form is he in now ?

Dunne was in excellent form for Man City for the second half of the season, I think he got MOM against Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dunne got an operation last month and won't be back for a while.

He beat SWP for Man City's player of the year. He came second to SWP last season.

Jesus, I'm still on such a bloody downer after Saturday. :(

• Advertisement

If Dunne's form was more consistent then I would have him in instead of O Brien. Pity he went off for the operation ( i think Kerr gave out to him ).

You will have to get over it Eirebhoy. we have another big game in 2 days time and 3 points and we can rest easy for the summer. I think we can still top this group.

Matches at this time of the season are renowed for throwing up strange results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gangsta wrote:
    Duff is our best player by a mile. .

He may be our most skillfull player, but saturday showed he's not our most important player. We find it a lot harder to get results withour keane.

@Gangsta: they respect him because despite what you think, they know he was right, they were all just too scared to stand up to McCarthy. There was lots of appologies after McCarthy left. Anyway, the past is just that.

If the same thing had happend between him and ferguson there would have been a rake of clubs queing to sign him. I cant beleive people carry misguided bitterness for so long, escpecially on the word of Mick McCarthy.

Megatron wrote:
    He was asctign like a leader, but either the players where to young to know any better, or they didn't realy care as this was thier swan song.:

At least someone realised what the situation was. Just because everyone lies down and takes crap doesnt mean Keane was going to, and fair play to him for it. It's universally accepted that the Ireland setup has been drastically improving since the last world cup, and the FAI didnt decide that on their own, they were pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

gandalf wrote:
    Yeah great an aging player with dodgy hips who walked out us last time we needed him. Perfect :rolleyes:
    That's unfair Gandalf. We would not have lost the lead on Saturday night were Keane playing, I have no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

That was 3 years ago Gandolf. Live in the now man.

He's a better option than Matt Holland anyway, who is too one dimensional. I'd say we'll get a 4-0 win against the FAroes.

Where is Mr Invisible when you need him ? I didnt recall seeing matty holland anywhere on the pitch. Same old crap from holland. RMK is worth 3 of him. Once Roy retires i expect a big drop in footballing results from Ireland.

No other player has done so much for Ireland than Roy. So what if he walked out on the Irish set up in Japan. It was the kick up the rear end the country needed !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Where is Mr Invisible when you need him ? I didnt recall seeing matty holland anywhere on the pitch. Same old crap from holland. RMK is worth 3 of him. Once Roy retires i expect a big drop in footballing results from Ireland.

No other player has done so much for Ireland than Roy. So what if he walked out on the Irish set up in Japan. It was the kick up the rear end the country needed !!

not the whole keane saga again :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

What's a Legend Hero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its players like Roy Keane who we need now ! Players like him only come around once a generation.

I was convinced you were being sarcastic in the title - LEGEND HERO...

WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

legend hero, lol

It's players like Roy Keane who we need the best of in the games against the Swiss and the French. Any kind of performance against Faroes will do, as long as it's a winning one.

PiE wrote:
    What's a Legend Hero?

It's a special title reserved for the truely great. :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

McCarthy: "I sent Roy Keane home"
    gandalf wrote:
    Hmmm... Something doesn't seem quite right there.

I cant belive my eyes ! NO im not being sarcastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!

RMK is going to get us to Germany !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Dont start the Saipan discussions again lads, been and gone.

In Matt Hollands defense, he was his usual invisible self at times, but he did do his best to keep everyone motivated and did a lot of talking and leading of the players. He just forgot to play football aswell.

Draupnir wrote:
    In Matt Hollands defense, he was his usual invisible self at times, but he did do his best to keep everyone motivated and did a lot of talking and leading of the players. He just forgot to play football aswell.

Hes not capable of doing what Keane does, and thats not his fault. No-one can be blamed for not being as good as someone else .The fact of the matter is that we need Keane there. He keeps everyone level headed and focused, which is exactly what didnt happen on saturday.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Hes not capable of doing what Keane does, and thats not his fault. No-one can be blamed for not being as good as someone else .The fact of the matter is that we need Keane there. He keeps everyone level headed and focused, which is exactly what didnt happen on saturday.

I couldnt agree more !! Mr Invisible or Kavanagh couldnt replace Keano in a month of sundays. Not their fault. But RMK will keep everyones head on wednesday !

I think Keano is a living legend. He should be in the all time hall of fame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Shamrok wrote:
    That's unfair Gandalf. We would not have lost the lead on Saturday night were Keane playing, I have no doubt about that.

Wow. Can I be the first to say that he was a fat lot of good out in Israel when we lost the lead there. I think he should have won the award for most negative passing in a game ever that night. And yet he would have saved us on Saturday apparently! Yeah, right.
    RMK is worth 3 of him. Once Roy retires i expect a big drop in footballing results from Ireland.

RMK? And here's me thinking throughout the thread that Roy Makaay has been magically approved to play for Ireland. In any case, Roy has spent most of his International career warming the stands because of suspensions, feigned injuries, and the odd tantrum where he was uncertain of the quality of the management. Drop in performance? Hardly.
    I think Keano is a living legend. He should be in the all time hall of fame

I can't even think of an appropriate rebuttal for this. Maybe when I stop laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

RMK? And here's me thinking throughout the thread that Roy Makaay has been magically approved to play for Ireland. In any case, Roy has spent most of his International career warming the stands because of suspensions, feigned injuries, and the odd tantrum where he was uncertain of the quality of the management. Drop in performance? Hardly.

You should replace that with career meaning friendlies, and tbh I think its a joke to ask him to play in them, always have, same with Duff. They need to be rested for the big games.

Roy is a living legend, and the best way to explain his brilliance and dedication to the team is that he was the only person in the entire team who was ****ing pissed off when we lost the 2-0 lead to Holland. Thats say it all to me, and he doesn't have to prove himself to anyone. He has done it

Keano could have no technical ability whatsover, and he'd make a team better.
    His presence alone rises the team, and puts pressure on the other team. Jimmy Hill's supplement thingy always go on about how it doesn't matter if he is playing well, he makes the other team play worse

By the sounds of things, he's been involved in most of the situations where Ireland have lost significant leads. Way to back up your point.

mr_angry wrote:
    By the sounds of things, he's been involved in most of the situations where Ireland have lost significant leads. Way to back up your point.

He may have been on the pitch, but he most certainly has NEVER been at fault.

Anyone questioning his ability or commitment to anything should dig out a tape of the Utd - Juve CL semi im 99. He was amazing, and after he was booked and ruled out of the final, he drove Utd to beat Juve.

McAteer might have scored the goal in the 1 - 0 win over Holland, but Keane got us through that game and the group, on his own at times.

• Advertisement

Heh. I've never questioned Keane's loyalty to Manchester United. Or his effectiveness for that matter. However, I think there's plenty of evidence to suggest that his performances for the Irish national side have failed to match up to that same standard.

My point in this instance was that Roy has been involved time and again in matches where Ireland have lost leads. I think this is a fair rebuttal to people coming on and saying that Ireland would have held onto their lead if he'd been playing on Saturday. Come to think of it, what actually is wrong with Roy Keane at the moment? He seemed to manage 120+ minutes in the FA Cup final for Manchester United. He didn't look injured at the end. How many games has he played since then? Zero, I would assume. Maybe that flight from Cardiff really took it out of him.

And Keane has never been at fault in a poor result? Well how exactly would you define 'fault'? Giving away a penalty? Getting sent off? Or maybe not playing the game in a positive manner perhaps? Because in the latter case, its my belief that Roy has displayed a negative attitude and non-willingness to play attacking football on many an occassion, not least the 1-1 draw away to Israel. Even the clips being shown before the game on Saturday showed instances of Roy passing the ball backwards when he had available team-mates in advanced positions, attracting criticisms from the panel. How would you like to explain this? Maybe his team mates weren't shouting loud enough? Maybe it didn't really happen because it doesn't fit with the "legend hero" view of the world? Would you consider failing to motivate your team mates a fault? Before you attack my post on that point, it is the Roy Keane fans who are suggesting that he has a majestic effect on his team-mates' will to win, yet I think there are plenty of occassions where he has obviously failed in this regard. Normally, I wouldn't criticise him for this, but it is you who is suggesting he has some kind of motivating power...

Best of all (going back on topic surprisingly) is the article itself.

Number of actual quotes from Roy Keane: 0.
    Number of 3rd party quotes attributed to Roy Keane: 0.

In fact, the only actual quote related to the whole thing was:
    BrianKerr wrote:
    "Roy was trying to say positive things and that shows a very good spirit amongst the players,"

Wow. Quite the "rallying call" there, clearly deserving of legend hero status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

mr_angry wrote:
    Come to think of it, what actually is wrong with Roy Keane at the moment? He seemed to manage 120+ minutes in the FA Cup final for Manchester United. He didn't look injured at the end. How many games has he played since then? Zero, I would assume. Maybe that flight from Cardiff really took it out of him.
    He was suspended.

mr_angry wrote:
    And Keane has never been at fault in a poor result? Well how exactly would you define 'fault'? Giving away a penalty? Getting sent off? Or maybe not playing the game in a positive manner perhaps? Because in the latter case, its my belief that Roy has displayed a negative attitude and non-willingness to play attacking football on many an occassion, not least the 1-1 draw away to Israel. Even the clips being shown before the game on Saturday showed instances of Roy passing the ball backwards when he had available team-mates in advanced positions, attracting criticisms from the panel. How would you like to explain this? Maybe his team mates weren't shouting loud enough? Maybe it didn't really happen because it doesn't fit with the "legend hero" view of the world? Would you consider failing to motivate your team mates a fault? Before you attack my post on that point, it is the Roy Keane fans who are suggesting that he has a majestic effect on his team-mates' will to win, yet I think there are plenty of occassions where he has obviously failed in this regard. Normally, I wouldn't criticise him for this,

Have you ever played football? Its not all about attacking for 90 mins. I have no doubt in my mind that Roy Keane has a better football brain than any 10 people on these boards you care to pick put together, in short, he knows what hes doing. He hasnt become one of the most successful players in British football history by not knowing his job

The reason we would not have lost the lead on Saturday had he been playing is not because he would have been flining himself in front of shots or scoring goals, its becaus eit would never have come to that. The team were a shambles, Graham Kavanagh was wandering around, not sure of his position. Things like that don't happen when theres a leader like Keane on the pitch, he organises everyone. If people make mistakses they know about it, and usually try their best not to do it again, for fear of getting an almighty bollocking.

mr_angry wrote:
    but it is you who is suggesting he has some kind of motivating power...

Yes he does, he lifts the other players and gives them confidence. Every player he has played with that has been quized on the subject has said it. He has the opposite affect on the opposition. He beat Arsenal in the tunnel a few months back, turning an attempt by Arsenal to bully Utd into an advantage to Utd.

He wasnt made Utd and Ireland captain for his after dinner speeches.

Credit to you again Stekelly for pointing out some more fine examples of Roy Keane doing some fine work for Manchester United. However, you seem to have categorically failed to address my actual points. Never mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Two examples of Keane virtually single handedly inspiring Ireland to a positive result would be portugal and holland at lansdowne road in the 2002 qualifiers.

Id have to agree though that he does tend to play better for United than Ireland, but probably because of the level of competition and also the difference in the type of football.

Draupnir wrote:
    Id have to agree though that he does tend to play better for United than Ireland, but probably because of the level of competition and also the difference in the type of football.

He also doesnt have to cover for as many donkey's when playing for Utd (just ruud :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

my god lads wake up. Keane is a great player but stop this rubbish of "we wouldnt have lost if keane was on the pitch". How the hell do you know that?
    You will have to teach me that ability I would love to be able to do it.

Plus Roy Keane has been on the pitch when Ireland have squandered loads of leads. In fact Ireland have a well formed reputation for giving away leads for so many years now. Keane has played in loads of those games. I dont think he stopped in then so how are you so sure he would have stopped it this time. Stop all the if stuff because if anything keanes performances in Ireland games would tend to suggest that he would NOT have stopped it happening as he has been on the pitch so many times when it has happened before.EOS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If people didn't see the match you could say that Roy wouldn't have let us lose that lead but if you seen the match nothing could have been predicted. The first goal was a free kick for a fair tackle by Holland. The second goal was a penalty. Unless Roy could have stopped Israel from getting into our half you can't make a statement like Dunphy and co did on Saturday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

eirebhoy wrote:
    If people didn't see the match you could say that Roy wouldn't have let us lose that lead but if you seen the match nothing could have been predicted. The first goal was a free kick for a fair tackle by Holland. The second goal was a penalty. Unless Roy could have stopped Israel from getting into our half you can't make a statement like Dunphy and co did on Saturday.

Well Said

• Advertisement
Advertisement