Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 Outrage etc

Options
  • 06-06-2005 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Sony has finally come clean about the PS3 demos shown at the E3 show.

Apparently the amazing graphics that where shown of Killzone were running on PCs using current-generation PC technology. Sony said that Killzone is still going to have amazing graphis but they havent even finished RSX graphics card. Maybe they didnt even start it and pretending that they will have it finished. Their probably just saying all this so people will buy it but you know Sony all full of lies.

Someone posted this in the xbox forum...? :confused:

Anyway...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

didn't everybody know this? neither nvidia or ati have RSX or R500 ready so they are probably using 2 6800 ultras in sli mode.

i think both consoles are going to be very similar graphics wise but the ps3 will edge out when it comes to physics because of the cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

So it wasn't prerendered?

i am sure that both consoles can do the graphics in real time and i am sure that it was running in real time but i doubt that killzone was actual gameplay. look at hl2 it took 6 years to make that game and get it to that level of polish but killzone was done in a matter of a few months? don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

Anyway...

Looks like someone dont like Sony,truth is noone knows for deffo if it was actual gameplay were all going to have 2 wait and see when the ps3 comes out in 2006
    , but that wont be the only game i want Fight night looks SSSSSSSSWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTT and so does that motorcross game cant wait for it to come out,BTW i own a PS2 and had a PS1, i have nothing against xbox but the 360 just looks boring. :D:D

ok got this from gamespot:

"(About the Killzone trailer)

INT: "Is there some stuff in there that's just smoke and mirrors?"

JT: "It's definitely real. I guess we're pretty good at keeping secrets because the dev kits were out there. The dev kits were very intuitive so people did some incredible things, and that's one thing Ken wanted to make sure everyone understood. That is real gameplay everybody's seeing out there. And I think another advantage is..." (gets cut off by the interviewer)

I: "So that's real gameplay? All of that stuff is playable?"

JT: "It is gameplay..."

But according to Greg Kasavin on this week's On the Spot, the Killzone trailer is just a representation of what they want to create; nevertheless, it's an awesome trailer. But that's all it is, a trailer.

What's with the mixed messages? Is it CGI or is it real gameplay?

Thomas Rega
    Marietta, Georgia

OK, let's just settle this once and for all. There's been an awful lot of confusion surrounding this whole thing, and considering that even I was a little fuzzy on the specifics, I don't blame anyone for being confused. Here's the deal:

Sony has maintained since E3 that everything it showed at the press conference was done in real time. That means that every one of those demos was being rendered in real time by some kind of hardware kit that at least closely resembled the exact specs of the PS3. Our friend here, Jack Tretton, saying that dev kits are out, probably means that preliminary alpha kits are available to developers right now. Those kits don't have the exact specs of what the PS3 will have, but it's probably pretty close. When Tretton says that it's gameplay, he's probably saying the same thing that Sony's been saying all along, just not as clearly. When Greg was talking about this in On the Spot, he wasn't saying that it was CG, but rather that it was likely real time, just not actual gameplay--the difference being that those real-time demos were probably completely scripted sequences running in-engine, rather than a guy actually holding a controller and playing each of those sequences. So, while the PS3 is likely capable of rendering in-game graphics on the level of, say, the Killzone 2 trailer, there probably wasn't someone actually playing a "game" during that demo, but rather it was a scripted scene using a potential game engine to render it in real time.

Phew. Got all that? Good, because I'm never typing all that again. -- A.N. "

• Advertisement

Thx visnal that cleared the matter up for me at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭GaMMoN

Yea that was me who posted it in the Xbox forum so people would know how **** Sony are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Whoa there!

Not a fan of Sony there im guessing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yeah, and the Xbox 360 games were running on retail 360s... :rolleyes:

LOL,if u honestly thought the killzone video was actually running off sonys console your gone mad, they dont even has a completed machiene yet, all the specs are "speculation" no specification, the "cell" processor hasnt even been built yet. and when game developers make games for both consoles the graphics will be undenyably better on the xbox, even if the unlikly chance the "cell" is more powerfull then 3x3.2Ghz processors the xbox has, why? cause the cell is new, untested, sony technology, it will be easier for game companys to create cool games, with sweet graphics for the xbox, rather then the ps3, we all know how much ps2's suck, no proper multiplayer games, massive loading times because no hdd, and on top of all that the custom built sony dvd-drive, that dies on a whole lot of consoles.

Originally Posted by Irish Grumpy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

:rolleyes:

You should at least quote someone that sounds like he know what he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

What!?! you ALL knew that PS2 sucks and none of you told me :eek:

'proper' multiplayer?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

GaMMoN wrote:
    LOL,if u honestly thought the killzone video was actually running off sonys console your gone mad, they dont even has a completed machiene yet, all the specs are "speculation" no specification, the "cell" processor hasnt even been built yet. and when game developers make games for both consoles the graphics will be undenyably better on the xbox, even if the unlikly chance the "cell" is more powerfull then 3x3.2Ghz processors the xbox has, why? cause the cell is new, untested, sony technology, it will be easier for game companys to create cool games, with sweet graphics for the xbox, rather then the ps3, we all know how much ps2's suck, no proper multiplayer games, massive loading times because no hdd, and on top of all that the custom built sony dvd-drive, that dies on a whole lot of consoles.

Sooooo.... are you pimping for Amp's new master plan? I sense a conspiracy...
    <whispers> Don't feed the troll.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

GaMMoN wrote:

Whoever posted this is a loser!

Ok that's it, there's too much personal abuse going around lately, you know the rules, you’re banned for one week. PM me in a weeks time to get un-banned.

Are you for real Jesus the great gets a ban for a week for calling that guy a loser, g's thats abit exteme is in it

Whatever it is, it is defiantly not up for discussion on this board. I’m sure at this stage he is able to reply to my PM himself [edit: which he has done, and possable is going to end in just a 24 hour ban], or complain vie the feedback board. And he has been around here long enough to know the rules.

Here is another rule we like to enforce - back on topic, do not reply to this post or any other off-topic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

GaMMoN wrote:

???
    cell has been built... read the articles properly. the GPU isn't built. there are tech demo's from last march or something showing cell operating, and then multiple cores attached.

cell is potentially more powerful then the 3 powerpc cores xbox has, but it wont be. the difference is the way it can process the information more efficiently. and it's not "sony tech" (people seem to use that phrase as a derogitary term). IBM and toshiba were involved. IBM, you know, the suppliers of the xbox cores... yes, them.

i could go on arguing but there's lots of console wars to look forward to i'm sure... good luck mods :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I have to say most of this "console a will be better than console b" crap is just silly.
    Killzone 2 looks sweet, so did Ghost Recon 3, Project Gotham 3, Full Auto, and most other xbox games, but the fact is that Sony and MS are both as likely to bend the truth to come out on top. I think MS are trying to look more honest and sony have a track record of lies, but no one will know what machine is better (graphically) until the same game is put out on both machines, and even then it could be that one machine is easier to use to its full potential than the other.
    I'd say that the PS3 and xbox360 will be pretty much neck and neck visually, there wont be enough difference in either machine for your average gamer to notice. Who knows, if that's the case they might start focusing on the actual games then!

flogen wrote:
    I have to say most of this "console a will be better than console b" crap is just silly.

Agreed. They might be going in slightly different directions (xbox being the new "online media appliance", PS3 being the "entertainment supercomputer", the revolution being for "the whole family") etc etc but in the end its all about the games.

I'm trying to keep an open mind at the moment about whether or not I'll get PS3 or XBox. I will get one or the other, but I guess I'll wait until the PS3 comes out before I make a decision.

I am pretty sure I'll get the Rev tho. Never played nintendo before (south africa never really got nintendo machines in a big way), but I bought a DS recently and I love it :D

I'm kind of getting sick and tired of the same genre's being rehashed all the time. I'm ready for something new. Hopefully we'll see some new type of gameplay emerging on all three consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

i'm just annoyed my fridge won't be able to make the games look extra super fabby, like Sony had promised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Anyway...

xbox fanboy, report hiim!, anyway perhaps they had a similar nvidia reference card (to the sony PS3 one) in the PC running it, who knows

flogen wrote:
    I'd say that the PS3 and xbox360 will be pretty much neck and neck visually, there wont be enough difference in either machine for your average gamer to notice.

What's that based on?

You never know, it's possible you’re right, but I’m just wondering what you’re basing it on.

flogen wrote:
    Who knows, if that's the case they might start focusing on the actual games then!

Yeah, because if actual games looking like near to film CGI, or for example, the ability to have a few thousand or more enemies on screen at once in a violent game, or maybe a few thousand extras in a non-violent game, will not affect the games at all, and actually been able to see human emotion through facial expressions displayed in detail on screen as a reaction to what you do probably wont be anything of note. No, none of that will change console games, not at all. :rolleyes:

Don’t get me wrong here, my most played game in the last year has been a 2D game, but were talking about the “next generation” consoles, so we are talking about the how the relevant hardware, graphics, sound, etc, etc will change the games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

monument wrote:
    Yeah, because if actual games looking like near to film CGI, or for example, the ability to have a few thousand or more enemies on screen at once in a violent game, or maybe a few thousand extras in a non-violent game, will not affect the games at all, and actually been able to see human emotion through facial expressions displayed in detail on screen as a reaction to what you do probably wont be anything of note. No, none of that will change console games, not at all. :rolleyes:

I don't believe we will get anything other than the odd innovative title for the next generation. Everything you mentioned was promised to us for the current generation and we haven't seen an awful lot of it. i doubt the situation will change.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I don't believe we will get anything other than the odd innovative title for the next generation. Everything you mentioned was promised to us for the current generation and we haven't seen an awful lot of it. i doubt the situation will change.

I hope you're wrong. I think innovation *is* starting to happen: eyetoy is a pretty good idea. Touchscreen is pretty good too. Those have both happened in the last 2 years or so. Microsoft have some great ideas for online consoling. Gameplay innovation is starting to make a comeback: Katamari Damacy, Darwinia, Electroplankton etc show that creativity is starting to stir up again :)

I think people are starting to get bored of the same old same old, and hardware and game companies will try to cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Everybody knew it wasn't. None of the demos for any of the machines were. It's been the same for years. They were still rendered in real time on a pc though. That's pretty impressive seeing as these new consoles are a lot more powerful that current top end pc's. Try reading a few articles about the cell from people who know what they are talking about and you might understand and see that it has the potential to be a lot more powerful for games than standard processors.

BloodBath wrote:
    Everybody knew it wasn't. None of the demos for any of the machines were. It's been the same for years. They were still rendered in real time on a pc though. That's pretty impressive seeing as these new consoles are a lot more powerful that current top end pc's. Try reading a few articles about the cell from people who know what they are talking about and you might understand and see that it has the potential to be a lot more powerful for games than standard processors.

You must be a retard if you belief PS3 is going to have the graphics shown on the killzone demo.

Sony probably dont even have their hardware finished (maybe its not even started, we dont know) so how are they going to live up to their promises when they're all lies and the "great" Sony even lied before the PS2 was out, the PS2 never lived up to their promises. It was supposed to have excellent graphics better than the PC and quicker loading times but what did we get, a black box which looked like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

At the E3 show the Ps3 was there but there was nothing in it. It just had a casing.

What Sony are trying to do is get every one to see that PS3 is going to be better than Xbox 360 by making false statements and showing a demo of Killzone with brilliant graphics even though it is shi**er than the Xbox 360 so that people will boycott the XBox 360 and wait for the PS3. Sony is trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

I wouldnt be surprised if the PS3 was delayed for another five months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

My god. The only retard here is you mate. Ban me, I don't care.

Yes sony don't have their hardware finished but they have hardware models pretty close to the final product. They are more or less waiting on the gpu's. The cell is ready for action.

Now so far multiple companies have released technical demos displaying what they can or what they think they can achieve on the ps3. They weren't made by sony to promote the console. Do you think all these companies are lying? Do you know anything about hardware? Based on the specs I think what has been displayed is very achievable. The gpu's are twice as powerful as todays high end pc ones. The cpu is easily 2-3 times faster for gaming applications than pc cpu's. Taking this into account you can see it's not just hype.

How can you say it's ****ter than the x-box 360 when there is nobody, not even sony or microsoft, that knows this. You have the cheek to call me a retard when you make comments like that.

Go back to school, you might learn something.

GaMMoN wrote:
    You must be a retard if you belief PS3 is going to have the graphics shown on the killzone demo.
    BloodBath wrote:
    My god. The only retard here is you mate. Ban me, I don't care.

Look I'm not going to ban any of you at the moment, BUT if any of the two of you start calling people names in the next two weeks you will be banned for ever, and any other account you have will be banned. So just again, you will be banned with out return!

I'm just fed up with this crap. So, go on, just do it.

GaMMoN wrote:
    Sony probably dont even have their hardware finished (maybe its not even started, we dont know) so how are they going to live up to their promises when they're all lies and the "great" Sony even lied before the PS2 was out, the PS2 never lived up to their promises. It was supposed to have excellent graphics better than the PC and quicker loading times but what did we get, a black box which looked like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Showing videos of games running on development kits is not a promise, so if the end product does not live up to the video it is not lying. Stop saying it is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement