Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone tried hotswapping?

• 06-06-2005 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hello all - this is my first post! :D
    Anyway I've read on the net about softmodding the xbox, mainly by hotswapping the hard-drive with a pc and softmodding the xbox that way. Has anyone tried this before?Iit looks to be the easiest way but my gut says it's quite possibly a stupid thing to do. Or would it be worth getting a modchip rather than softmodding?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lord Oz wrote:
    Hello all - this is my first post! :D
    Anyway I've read on the net about softmodding the xbox, mainly by hotswapping the hard-drive with a pc and softmodding the xbox that way. Has anyone tried this before?Iit looks to be the easiest way but my gut says it's quite possibly a stupid thing to do. Or would it be worth getting a modchip rather than softmodding?

Bill Gates sez:

Oh you are SO bold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

softmod, its really easy, and lets you do everything a modchip can, try "krayzies UXE softmod installer" it has an off function for xbox LIVE too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

I'd go with grumpy on this one (that's the best installer available at the moment). I've tried hotswapping several times and could not get it to work with the BIOS on my old PC, lots of things can go wrong and if you dont have a backup of your eeprom you wont be able to fix the xbox without a chip. I've never killed an xbox by hotswapping but I had to resort to a gamesave exploit to do the mod, Harddrives are not designed for this purpose and the harddrives in xboxes are typically very cheaply made. Also, if you ever have to fix a problem with your install then you'd have to take the risk of hotswapping again. The softmod mentioned by grumpy uses UXE + nkpatcher + Unleashx so make sure you know how these work before trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Thanks guys for the help - I'll go with softmodding so.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭zzap64

Hot swapping the HD is bad.

I tried it a couple of years ago and after a few times of doing it and realising it didn't work and I had to copy over more files... I fried the XBOX HD :((

Just get a mod chip, it's easier in the long run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

go for the softmod installer i mentioned, chip is waste a money, i have modded over 15 xboxes recently, some with chips some with krayzies installer and the softmod is the best, and free. (my opionion)

Advertisement