Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worried?

Options
  • 06-06-2005 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

So how is everyone here coping with the old JC around the corner? Has anyone had any panic attacks (I know people who have) Is everyone studying much? I just want it to be over so we can have summer! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Erm, feeling a bit nervous about English....I reckon I'll be grand once I get the first day over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Yep, I'm actually getting a bit worried now.
    I feel like an ass for doing so little study since school finished.
    The only study I did was for Maths, I *have* to do all my English between today and tomorrow, and bet a good bit of Irish done too.

Once this week's finished I'm flying though 'cause English and Irish are my worst subjects by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

I've done as much studying as I can for English, almost. I'm kinda worried about the story, as I usually can only come up with the most pathetic plots, anyone know what to do about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Do the speech! I had your exact problem..until I found Public Speaking. Debating changed my life!

Seriously though, you don't need to come up with a story line, the topics are usually really easy, and you just follow the MEP format.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

im doing ordinary english :( and btw you have to do personal writing and functional ... nerves are starting to get to me here aswell as if i dont do well here i wont be able to do my leaving when im 17 because the school wont take me back :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm inexplicably worried about English. Paper one should be fine since I like writing stories and the rest of the paper is just easy. Well.. provided something nice comes up in the Functional Writing. Like a letter. Letters are good. Hate writing speeches... An editorial would be nice to get too, though.

Paper two is less peachy. I'm not particularly worried about the unseens because there's not much you can do to prepare for them. I'm quite nervous about what's gonna come up on the studied fiction though. I'm in the middle of rereading To Kill a Mockingbird but I still don't feel like I know it too well...
    Poetry should be easy. Romeo and Juliet..... well, I'm just hoping it's something easy.

Irish paper one is probably the one I'm the most worried about. I'm apalling at writing Irish stories, and I'm not too good at the comhrá either. Once that's over everything should be grand. A bit worried about Business Studies since I didn't do so well in the mocks with it, but there isn't much more study I can do, really, so I'm not gonna get too stressed about it.

Ok I'm a little panicky all of a sudden, everybody: Good Luck! If you've listened in class for the last 3 years then you know this stuff, it's all in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I'm confident I'll do great on English, I do find the poetry hard on Paper 2, hoping it's not so hard. Dreading Irish, I'm useless at the Aural part.

I think I'll be ok after those exams. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Has anyone had any panic attacks (I know people who have)
    Panic attacks (rapid heatbeat, chest pain, shoulder tension, upset tummy, irritability, urgent need to urinate or defecate) are a symptom of stress, stress is from a build up of adrenilin that the body can't get rid of. Exercise gets rid of adrenilin.

So eat a reasonable breakfast, leave plenty of time to walk to the exam centre, chill, realise you can do the exam and you should be fine. If you have a problem, talk it out with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

Flashling wrote:
    Do the speech! I had your exact problem..until I found Public Speaking. Debating changed my life!

Seriously though, you don't need to come up with a story line, the topics are usually really easy, and you just follow the MEP format.

Follow the MEP format?! As in "make the point, explain the point, prove the point"? Having to explain and prove everything that happens in the story doesn't sound like a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Who, me?

modular wrote:
    I've done as much studying as I can for English, almost. I'm kinda worried about the story, as I usually can only come up with the most pathetic plots, anyone know what to do about this?
    Keep it simple, and write about something you know. Like, if you have to write about something scary or of the likes, write about the Junior Cert. Or take something that happened in real life. Don't go OTT with weird fantasy plots or whatever. Things like that. :)

I'm suprised at how apathetic I'm feeling towards it. I'm not that worried about it, to be honest. The papers I'm dreading are Maths and Science. But once they're over, I'll be grand.

If you're going to write a short story, dont go with the first idea that comes into your head....think outside the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

how much would be adverage for personal writing ??? my teacher says 3 A4 pages in 25 mins thats bloody impossible... well for me hehehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

It's quality over quantity (how many times have you heard that!), if you can fit fully developed, structured answers into half the "average" length then you should get the same marks. I'm kind of in between, I can bull**** and write concise answers, but my handwriting is so horrible (and people wonder why I prefer to type whenever possible?) that I have to write really slowly in exams to make it legible :(

Don't they give you an hour to do the personal writing question?
    I usually do about 3, 4 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

It is an hour...25 mins, who in the world told you that. that would be just madness. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

i thought id cheer ye's all up just think about it this way at least ya aint doing the leaving cert!! and u cant actually fail ur junior cert!!! u used to have to pass maths engish and irish to pass but thats complatly different now!!! and good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

i never normally get stressed about english but now I'm having a mild panic attack about paper 2, because I don't know barely any quotes for To Kill a Mockingbird or Romeo and Juliet and I just about know my peoms. AAHHH! ok, I have to breathe...

eurgh, irish is going to be horrible. I wish I'd done more study...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

You think you have it bad...i dont know quotes for Merchant of venince, my peoms, and my fiction. Good luck to me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Quotes aren't too hard to learn off, really. And I've heard that you don't actually need to know that many.

What I did was I typed a load of them out in notepad, printed them off and just learned them by saying them aloud. I know people say you learn better when you write stuff but that takes so goddamn long, and I'm guessing they won't kill you for mouthing stuff to yourself in the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

modular wrote:
    Follow the MEP format?! As in "make the point, explain the point, prove the point"? Having to explain and prove everything that happens in the story doesn't sound like a great idea.

For the speech!
    Example; Topic: living in Ireland gives you the best chances at life. Say you go for For the Motion.
    Ahem, excuse my imrovised crappy topic.

Being an Irish citizen allows you many advantadges, including free third level education. (Point made) This is important because it means everyone has an equal opertunity to get jobs. (Point explained) Around 20% of students are mature students coming back to learn now that college is free. (Point proved)

Oh, and you can make up whatever figures you want.

Advertisement