Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Vs Faroe Islands

• 06-06-2005 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Bad news to start with !! Robbie Keane, Steve Finnan and Andy O'Brien are out :(:( This is going to be a very difficult match. The swiss were lucky to get a result here.. If it wasnt for Frei it might have been a draw
    Trio miss out
    http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=282673&Title=Trio+miss+out&lid=Main+News&sub=Trio+miss+out&navlid=&sublid=
    Robbie Keane, Steve Finnan and Andy O'Brien are all out of Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against the Faroe Islands in Torshavn.

Keane is ruled out with a shoulder injury picked up during Saturday's 2-2 draw with Israel at Lansdowne Road. Initially, it had been hoped he would be okay for Wednesday but a medical experts on Monday morning insisted he would not be okay in time and he has withdrawn from the squad.

Finnan missed Saturday's clash with Israel with a calf problem and Liverpool's medial team have now pulled the defender out of the squad completely while O'Brien is suspended after being sent off against Israel. It means that manager Brian Kerr has a 21-man squad to choose from for the Faroe Islands game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Faroes eqialised and the swiss stepped up a gear and scored a few minutes later.

Hardly a hard game for them, was impressive to see a team when they needed a goal just like go and score one then feck about for a while and scored another without even trying, but when they needed the goal they got it.

We "should" win but faores have no interest in playing football just trying to hold out and stop other team as long as possible.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Keane didnt look all that bad on saturday. I thought he was only taken off so that he could play on Wednesday. He ma as well have stayed on a bit longer, might have scored again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Hopefully the faries will be knackered after playing the Swizz a few days previous. Frei was talking up the opposition.. saying that Ireland will find it hard to go there and win.

Its going to be hard without Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

What a difference 27 minutes can do. :) Robbie is rated much higher today than he was on Saturday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Shock" 1-1 draw.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Let's put it this way. If, following Saturday night's performance, we cannot get a result against the Faroes, we don't deserve to be going to Germany. I'll go 2-0 Irish win.

Morrison---Elliott
    Duff----Kilbane---Keane----Reid
    Harte--Cunningham--Doc--Carr
    Given

I'd take a 1-0 win now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I though O'Brien might be able to play as FIFA said they would hear the appeal before wednesday???

Edit the appeal was rejected!!!

WTF :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

irish1 wrote:
    I though O'Brien might be able to play as FIFA said they would hear the appeal before wednesday???

The appeal was lost .

Yea I just read that, how in gods name was that rejected, I mean FFS the keeper hit him not the other way round. FIFA would stand by their refs if they sent the whole team off for nothing, a bloody joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Big Ears wrote:
    The appeal was lost .

Because FIFA refuse to look at video evidence. :mad:
    So, we have a man suspended because the referee was a moron, their keeper was deserving of an oscar, and the people running the show turn a blind eye. Nice one. :mad:

As was said in a previous post, if we don't beat them, we don't deserve to go through. We need to be able to pick ourselves up and come back fighting after that dissapointing (almost humiliating) result at the weekend.

FIFA dont do appeals. The only appeal you can make is if the ref sends the wrong player off. Its all a load of wánk from FIFA IMO.

The players will defintely up for this game. Everyone know nothing less than 3 points and a convincing win will be enough.

I would take a 1-0 win as well. But i certainly wouldnt have doc in the centre of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

FIFA dont do appeals. The only appeal you can make is if the ref sends the wrong player off. Its all a load of wánk from FIFA IMO.

He DID send the wrong player off! :D:D

Hahaha :D

Doc amd Morrison to start with Elliot coming after 60 minutes hopefully with the game going in our favour.

Least there amy be something good after these 2 games if Elliot gets on and plays well.

kdjac

Elliott is on the form of his life. I think he should get a start and then doc come on at the very end. were crap at the long ball stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

But i dont think Kerr would start Elliott, he "hasnt had enough experience". How do they expect him to get that experience?!

Cianan2 wrote:
    But i dont think Kerr would start Elliott, he "hasnt had enough experience". How do they expect him to get that experience?!

By giving him half an hour in a WCQ then 90 minutes in next freindly.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

We need to be aggressive and attack minded until we get the first goal then the Faroes wont defend as deep, they'll want to try something and we can catch them for a 2nd and 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I think with doc on we'll be hoofing the ball upfield again. I'd rather see elliott start for 60 mintues than come on after 60.

Who have we got left to play in central defence tho?

TBH i can see kerr putting duff up front

• Advertisement

And what should we do if the Faroes put 11 men behind the ball like israel did?

Dempsey wrote:
    And what should we do if the Faroes put 11 men behind the ball like israel did?

You can bet your ass thats what they will do i reckon Doc and Morrison best bet to batter an early goal out of them, we can afford to go with 3 up front they will be so intent on defending.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

It's going to be a tough game, but I think Ireland will get through it. Defensively we have a bit of a problem, but luckily the Faroes are unlikely to pose much of a threat going forward. As far as I know, the following defenders are available to us:

Carr (Newcastle United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), O’Shea (Manchester United), Maybury (Leicester City)?, Doherty (Norwich City)

I think Maybury has pulled out, and if so, then the back 4 picks itself really. There's only one centre back there really in Cunningham. I'd say the back 4 is likely to be Carr - Cunningham - Doherty - Harte, giving O'Shea a rest.

It's possible Kerr could risk O'Shea as a centre back instead of Doherty and stick Doc up front, but I hope he goes with what I have said above and starts Elliott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

He has called up Paddy McCarthy too today.

KdjaC wrote:
    You can bet your ass thats what they will do i reckon Doc and Morrison best bet to batter an early goal out of them, we can afford to go with 3 up front they will be so intent on defending.

kdjac

I'd love to see us play 3 up front. Show no fear. even a 5 man defence would have dificulty in the 3 different playing types if it was Morrison-Duff-Doherty or if Duffer was playing on the wing Morrision-Elliot-Doherty, so many different types of goals to be scored there. They wouldn't have a clue what way to defend.

Whats Paddy McCarthy like? Position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I fear we will go with duff up front, god only knows why he is picked up there(and well kerr aswell i suppose).

Once its morrison/docherty or elliot up front it should be grand. I would like to see elliot, but i wouldnt be too bothered if doc started and elliot got half an hour. I would be suprised if he starts elliot.

I really dont want JOS in centre of defence, the chaps a lemon.

If we dont win were gone.

Cianan2 wrote:

Centre back for Leicester seemingly was playing well according to irish player watchers who ehh watch irish players abroad.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Cianan2 wrote:

Went from Man City to Leicester near the end of last season. Has been playing well aparantly. Centre Back.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

If we play Doc up front that means playing O'Shea at centre half. No matter what we think of the Faroes I'd never get that complacent in such an important game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

attac attack attack. 3-5-2 formation is ideal against this sort of pub opposition.

if ireland attack for 90mins, we will beat the faroes, if we defend and sit back at any stage they will have a chance. we need plenty of width on wednesday and 5 across midfield would give us that, plus it would ensure faroe attacks are broken up at source and ireland retain possesion.

or you could just give the ball to duff and watch him toy with the the faroes back 10.

the swiss were too lightweight in midfield and didnt keep the ball as good as they could have done. a couple of hard men in the middle should win the game for us - before it even kicks off imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

smemon wrote:
    a couple of hard men in the middle should win the game for us - before it even kicks off imo.
    OK So.....what couple of hard men do we have?

Holland :rolleyes:
    Kilbane :rolleyes:
    O'Shea :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I can safely say we are fcuked unless we win on Wednesday but i think we will despite the 3 players out,realistically we need to won all our remaining games in order to qualify,i dont rate our chances in a play off should we finish second in the group judging on past games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Elliot has to play. I'm fed up with the lack of experiance bullcrap. The guy can score goals and lets face it the Faroes defence isn't going to be anything tougher than he's faces in The Championship. If Doherty plays upfront I'll have lost all faith in Kerr. I think the man is a legend and his work pre-match is top class however tactically he leaves a lot to be desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

It'll be a sh*t game but I'm confident we'll win.

2-0.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

seansouth wrote:
    OK So.....what couple of hard men do we have?

Holland :rolleyes:
    Kilbane :rolleyes:
    O'Shea :rolleyes:

You seem to be forgetting the two hardmen

Roy Keane
    Greame Kavanagh

Oh by the way I think doc should start center back and elliott up front. The boy elliott deserves his chance and despite the fact we are playing the faroes JOS is just terrible so I would never put him in there

I posted this elsewhere

Im going to go for 4-3-3

Given
    Carr----Cunningham--O'Shea--Harte
    Holland
    Keane
    Kilbane
    Reid
    Morrison
    Duff

Either start Morrison or Elliott. If the worst came to the worst put doc up front.

4-4-2 isnt going to bring us much joy in such a narrow pitch so Im opting for the 4-3-3.

It's going to be very hard to get the 3 points, the faries will battle hard the full 90 minutes and no doubt bring us down to their squirmy level.

Morrison is now doubtful with a back injury, it gets better and better

just on the telly there.. Kerr says Clint should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Cianan2 wrote:

Very good young ball playing centre half, scored his fair share of goals for the Man City ressies over the past few years and has a commendable record at Irish underage level. Wasn't good enough at the time to get in the city team ahead of Dunne and Distin but has done well since his move to Leiscter and this could be an ideal game for him to make his first start for us. Deffo one to watch for the future.

The pitch at Torshvan (?) is a very narrow and bumpy one btw, would surely suit a more narrow 4-3-3 than a 4-4-2, it'll be intersting to see how they line up. Faores will probably settle for a 6-3-1 formation tho!

if the pitch isnt great, kerr might go with doc upfront to hoff it up to him aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

if the pitch isnt great, kerr might go with doc upfront to hoff it up to him aswell.

http://eish.net/files/blogpics/the_hoff_loves_you_640.jpg

:D

SORRY

Never have to apoligise when postings a hoff picture!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I had a dream last night that Ireland won 6-0 against the Faroes. May as well use that as my prediction. :)

If we get anything more than 2 it will be a massive bonus. No other team has won more than 2 here in a long long time. Lets hope we dont do a scotland (2-2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I hope Ireland do their usual 'take the lead after 5mins' and then sit back for the rest of the game to win 1-0. Crazy wish I know, but Kerr seems determined to stick to this approach so I'd like to see it work for out for us at least once. Might actually be educational for the players to see this method succeeding for a change.

BTW if we don't win tonight .... the Hoff for manager!

Pigman II wrote:
    I hope Ireland do their usual 'take the lead after 5mins' and then sit back for the rest of the game to win 1-0. Crazy wish I know, but Kerr seems determined to stick to this approach
    TBH, I've only seen it happen twice in all his matches. Against the Swiss and Israel.

"We had a lot of possession, although we did not create as many chances as we would have liked."

The above one is the only quote I can find but I remember him saying he told the players to go out at half time and push up and attack more.

There is a chance the match could be called off because of fog. The 2 Faroe flights haven't even departed yet:
    http://www.dub.aero/AR_Dublin/live/Lv_pres_Search_Departures.asp

Here's a live webcam view:
    http://www.mmdfactory.com/webcam/Faroe_Islands/Torshavn__Faroe_Island_Webcam.html

That could be good news eirebhoy, given the number of players we'r missing, but if the match does go ahead and the fan's haven't made it out it won't be good news.

• Advertisement
Advertisement