Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Vs Faroe Islands

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, we got the result last night that was needed. Not pretty by any stretch of the imagination, but an important win. The first half was very dodgy though. The Faroese had the momentum and the chances and on another night Ireland would have gone 1-0 down. That would have tested the mettle of the Irish team and I think they would have responded.

The windswept raining conditions (more Irish than Ireland) suited the home team and didnt allow either team to play long passes with accuracy. We missed Robbie Keane badly, more than we missed Roy in the last match I'd say. The young lad Elliot was pretty poor in the first half. He couldn't give a pass back. He's a trier but I dont see the rip-roaring future that some of the pundits are claiming. We'll see, he's very young but for me he has a lot, a helluva lot to learn.

So, with the "great" Roy Keane back, what happened with the midfield? Well, not much really. Keane did his bit, but his work-rate was very poor. I thought that this was not going to be a match for him, end of season, against the "might" of the Faroese. The Ref also took none of his lip, unlike english refs who let him get away with murder, and so his early yellow kept him quiet for the remainder of the game. Kilbane did better in the centre of the park, getting in headers and being reasonably useful. Duff tried but himself and Harte didnt link up well. Harte is far from not ideal imo. O'Shea did quite well in the centre of defence, his natural position. He had an odd foray forward. If he played for a lower team in England and in this position it might be better for him and for Ireland. He's probably not good enough as a CB for a top premieship side, like Cunningham really, although the players have different qualities.

Carr, was, well Carr, not as safe as houses. Himself and Andy Reid did ok together. Andy had an ok game too, and did quite well in the creative aspects. Back to Duff, another reason for his "lack-lustre" performance was the heavy marking he got. When I say heavy, at times there were 3 or even 4 Faroese on him, and even this is too much for Duffer. The conditions also didnt help Ireland's attempts to attack. Morrison was poor at keeping the ball as well. So overall, Ireland enjoyed much possession in the game, created a handful of chances, and didnt really take them, all against a team of amateurs about the size of Athlone Town.

The goals were lucky. The penalty was played for by Elliot, who played better in the 2nd half. Harte's strike was well struck, and the keeper did well to get a hand on it. The deflected goal by Kilbane was pure luck. Also, Given, who had a solid game, and mainly quite apart from the first half, made a brilliant near at the end. Elliot did have that chance in the 1st half that cae off the woodwork from point blank range, this was not a finish of a young Romario, r indeed a Michael Owen, but the chance came out of nothing really and could be put down to very sloppy defending.

So, Ireland get a win, although the scoreline and perhaps the result could have been different, even if it was a team of amateurs. If the rub of the green went against us against IL, you can say that we definitely had it last night.

The qualification is still all to play for. France next, and a draw is imperative. That may suit France as well, but they need points so will be looking for a win no doubt. Then we will need to beat Cyprus in Cyprus. Not easy, but something we have done in the past and doable. Its likely to all come down to the final match. Depending on what France do in their other games, a win here could be enough for automatic qualification, and a draw for 2nd spot.
    3 games left, and its still all to play for.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kerr said after the game that the width of the pitch was under the minimum width in the FIFA/UEFA regulations. He asked them would increase the width by a few yards, they said they would but never did. They are only a bunch of part timers but shouldn't be getting away with things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Personally I was delighted with Elliott. He was really up for the game. The rest of the team couldnt, it being the last match of the season and it was the faroes.

I think Elliott will do well at international level, he's got a terrific attitude, always looking for the ball, in the right positions and works hard. He's one for the future, hopefully the not to distant future. A bit of competition for Clint and Robbie too.

There isnt much to be taken out of this game, just that Kerr can sort things out, motivate the team at half time.

Carr is a mess IMO. He has been on the slide now for years and he just looks fat slow and stupid. Personally I think he is very poor and Im looking for Kelly to start coming through now. With us 2-0 i thought Kerr might throw S.Reid on and see what he was like with A.Reid. I agree that Carr and A.Reid dont combine well at all.

Doc is pretty useless IMO. He works hard but is pretty crap at heading the ball. I think we have no long ball hope what so ever.

I think there is enough of quality in this Irish team to win all the remaining games and secure automatic qualification. The french will improve over the summer but so will we and we will be at home. Everyone is available bar injuries and we have more options up front now. Im going for an Ireland win in September

Personally I was delighted with Elliott. He was really up for the game. I think Elliott will do well at international level, he's got a terrific attitude, always looking for the ball, in the right positions and works hard. He's one for the future, hopefully the not to distant future.

I think way too much is being read into Elliot's performance. He was woeful at times, absolutely woeful. Granted he is young, and will (has to) improve his game. I dont think we will get very much out of him for this campaign and against stronger defenders and opposition. I would love to be wrong though but I dont think I am. The lad just hasnt had enough expereience yet and is still developing.
    I think there is enough of quality in this Irish team to win all the remaining games and secure automatic qualification.

I dont think we will win the remaining 3 fixtures. That to me would be a surprise. France could easily do us over, quite easy, and so could the Swiss and a draw against Cyprus is also quite possible. Ireland have a lot to do but qualification is very much possible.

We had the capability to beat Israel home and away and to hammer the Faroese. We didnt.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Whoever here said O'Shea had a good game at CB should give me some of what they're smoking. He looked like he was in a dream world half the time, dribbling into midfield unneccecarily and I counted at least 3 occasions where he got in Cunninghams way on clearances. That said tho JOS was out of position and Morrison, Duff, Carr and Reid were just as bad on the night.

Elliot did a good job and deserved MOM on his 2nd half display but I still want Clint in there when it comes time to play France.

Was a bit worrying to see how we let them back into the game so easily after 2-0. From about the 70min mark we seem to totally drop off and at times all 11 of our team could be seen at least 10 yards inside our own half. Grand when you're playing rubbish like the Faeroes who aren't going to take advantage anyway but you really have to ask yourself 'why did we do it'? At times in the first half we were effectively playing 2-5-3 and FI still couldn't get a shot on target, so we didn't really need to see the game out in such a defensive fashion.

Pigman II wrote:
    Was a bit worrying to see how we let them back into the game so easily after 2-0. From about the 70min mark we seem to totally drop off and at times all 11 of our team could be seen at least 10 yards inside our own half. Grand when you're playing rubbish like the Faeroes who aren't going to take advantage anyway but you really have to ask yourself 'why did we do it'? At times in the first half we were effectively playing 2-5-3 and FI still couldn't get a shot on target, so we didn't really need to see the game out in such a defensive fashion.
    :D I could have predicted a post like that from you. :) Leave it out on the poor man. Anyway, Elliott probably would have made it 3-0 if he wasn't pulled back when running at the defenders.

Well Elliott is one of the highest goal scorers in underage and in the championship as well (irish players that is). He has done better than Robbie to date and doesnt have any of that faint crap in his game so the future bodes well for him. He is a intelligent footballer as well so he is bound to improve. Fair enough, he is not our answer to Ronaldo (BR) but I think he will be a 20+ goal scorer for us.

Robbie and Clint to start against the french though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

anyone who doubts Elliots ability hasnt seen him play for Sunderland this season. Hes a better player than Morrison anyway and has all the qualities of a top striker. He has a lot to learn yes, but he could be better than Robbie Keane in 5 years if he develops as he should.

it all really is gonna centre around how bad Sunderland are next season and whether he gets much service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Im not so sure about all this optimism over elliot. Optimism is great and everything but i just dont think he's that good to be honest. Thought he was alright yesterday and that only in the second half (all were sh!t in first half). Considering the opposition Id have prefered if he was like the rest of team and Wasn't up for this one cause if thats the best he can do against a terrible terrible team when he's up for it and full of confidence? wouldn't like to see him on a bad day against half decent players! I know im being overly pessimistic here but thats just to counteract all the optimism so we can bring it onto a more neutral realistic level somewhere in between. I know he had an ok season in the championship, 14goals in it, but Connolly got 13 in a worse team and we all know the story with him! Sure we'll see how he does next year in the premiership against terry, upson, carragher, ferdinand, cambell, southgate et all and then we'll know if we have a star on our hands or just another connolly. But i wont be holding my breath.

I'm a bit wary of building Elliott up too much as I always have Connolly in my head. Connolly was even younger when he broke into the Irish team and scored 7 goals in his first 15 caps.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm a bit wary of building Elliott up too much as I always have Connolly in my head. Connolly was even younger when he broke into the Irish team and scored 7 goals in his first 15 caps.

heh snap

~Rebel~ wrote:
    I know he had an ok season in the championship, 14goals in it
    He actually got 17 and only started 29 games. He's had a much better start than even Keane did. I'm a lot more optimistic than you as I've seen what he can do in the Championship. How was he full of confidence btw? :) He had only started 1 game since mid-March before last night.

eirebhoy wrote:
    He actually got 17 and only started 29 games. He's had a much better start than even Keane did. I'm a lot more optimistic than you as I've seen what he can do in the Championship. How was he full of confidence btw? :) He had only started 1 game since mid-March before last night.

14 in the league i think tho (according to sky sports) 16 or 17 all competitions. Just going by commentators who said he was full of confidence following a great season and for being picked to start in a world cup qualifier. I know i was being very very pessimistic, did on purpose as i said, just to even things out (michael moore stylee), playing devils advocate cause of the overwhelming optimism over the guy. Obviously id love him to be a great player, im just saying the other side of things.

yeah, I agree. Lets not go overboard about Elliot. He did ok, no more, no less. He will need to improve on that performance to add to the Irish team.

Funny that people think of Connolly as thats what I thought too, and a poorer version of Connolly at that. I will give Elliot a chance though as we all should. He can come on as a sub and we'll see how it goes.

Btw, its not so long ago that Kerr was trying another centre-forward. I cant even remember his name now or where he fits into the picture? Anyone remember him? he was reasonably handy in the air, but that was about it I thought.

Redspider

yeah but people are forgetting about connollys whole mentality.. the fella thought he was god FFS. It was pathetic !! Elliott has a great attitute

redspider wrote:
    Btw, its not so long ago that Kerr was trying another centre-forward. I cant even remember his name now or where he fits into the picture? Anyone remember him? he was reasonably handy in the air, but that was about it I thought.

Redspider

Ya I remember that, cant remember his name though..he came on in the ireland czech game in dublin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

alan lee? ive seen him in training a couple of times, worst first touch of any professional footballer ive ever seen. worse than some of the faroese

Advertisement