Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blogging n00b questions

• 06-06-2005 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

It is my plan to write a blog while i am off interrainling in eastern europe. I'd like to have some idea of how touse a blog and make a few entries before i go. I have many general questions.

There are many websites where i can start a blog. Why would i choose one over another? Do they offer more than just hosting of a journal?

Will i be able to post photos in a blog, or do they just take words?

What is RSS and XML? Do some websites offer one other the other and some offer both? Should it be something I consider when starting my blog?

Is posting a blog as simple as sending an email or posting on a forum?

Who will read my blog other than people i tell about it? Will it automatically be added to a blogroll on the site that i start it on? Will it automatically be added to other blogrolls? Do I have any control over this?

Is getting a Journal on boards a good enough reason to subscribe?

I'm sure i'll have more questions to ask later. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Lots of questions :)

RSS is basically a way of syndicating content.

Why one blog system over another? It depends on what you are trying to do tbh.

If you are going travelling I would recommend you get yourself a personal site with a blog, that way you'll get email as well.

You can post photos to your blog as well. How will depend on what you are using.
    Wordpress is very easy to use and has a large userbase, so there are a lot of mods etc., available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

I've just signed up with blogs.ie, it looks like it uses wordpress.
    If you are going travelling I would recommend you get yourself a personal site with a blog, that way you'll get email as well.

how do i get a personal site with a blog? Do i have to pay for that? Getting an email address is not something i'll be considering. I'm happy enough withmy current address.

What does it mean to syndicate content? Add it to a blogroll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for the reply. I also have a irishblogs account and a blogger account. Just signed them up so far, haven't decided which to use yet.
    Usually people start with a hosted solution and move up if they grow out of that system.
    Do you mean by this that I could out grow my blogs.ie account and register a domain name like you have with davesrants.com or http://deadcerttips.com/. Presumably the advantage here is that it's more customisable, or is there another reason you'd do that? Does it cost much?

I've signed up for a Flickr account, so i'll be trying out that photo thing, and see what you mean there.
    You can stop search engines from indexing your site if you want so pretty much only people you give the address would have access if you want.
    I'm not worried about that. I was asking the question in the context of "Do I have to add it to, eg POTB myself, or is this done automatically".
    (LOL cause i went to POTB.com)

Another question:
    Can i make private blog entries on any blog that I choose to start on, like the boards.ie journal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Steveire wrote:
    Another question:
    Can i make private blog entries on any blog that I choose to start on, like the boards.ie journal?
    You definitely can with Wordpress.

• Advertisement

Do all blogs provide icons to put your mood on the blog? Can you use custom ones or just the ones already there?

Advertisement