Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exam attendant

• 06-06-2005 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hey, just wondering was anyone an exam attendant last year?...because I'm doing it this year and i want to know how much I'm getting paid! How much is it per day/hour/whatever?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I believe it is 7.65 an hour. Minimum wage, in other words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Thanks! This is going to be the easiest job ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I think its about 200 a week, at least thats what a few of my friends are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Believe it or not you actually get less if you're under 18, I experience this stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I've done it and I got about €170 for eight days. Ask the examiner for his or her timetable and a rates sheet. The rate sheet tells you what you get paid for certain time, there's no set hourly rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

yeh. its nowhere near minimum wage.

i think the english exams last year which are 3h20mins each were 16.80 for under 18's.

you get a set fee for turning up the day before the exam for the hours induction or whatever.

and there is a minimum payment of something like 6.80. so for 40 minutes of an oral exam you get paid 6.80 cos its the minimum.

your examiner will give you a sheet with rates on it. and ask you calculate what you are owed. to make sure they dont fleece you. the examiner actually pays you personally and then re-coups the expense.
    my examiner paid me with a personal cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 camroc

Yeah, I hope you're over 18, I was one week off my 18th birthday and got payed a lot less than the other exam attendant who was sitting beside me the whole time doing the exact same job. It's still money for nothing though, just remember to bring a good book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Damn It! I'm 17. My friend is 19 though, that's why she got like over 400 euro last year. And I'm only doing it for 7 days. I was imagining loads of money...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Well be prepared to be bored as hell, make sure you bring some cards, mags, anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

can you tell, what is position with tax/work permit on money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 JamesMcAteer93

Hey, Could anybody tell me if tax is deducted from the attendant wages for under 18 year olds?
    Please reply asap!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

With us, you do it in 4th year. Some got over €400!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

As far as I know it depends on how much money you are making as to whether the tax applies.

holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

But how does the Superintendent know how much you are earning? Or do you have to tell them?

This is the only thread I could find with any helpful information on it!
    I am currently in 4th year and I am doing the attendant job at the moment. But the form telling us how much we earn per exam does not tell us anything about tax! I was wondering if we get put on emergency tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Yeah no worries, fair play for using the search function, just surprised at how long its been since this thread was used. Sorry I don't know enough information on this to be of much help, if no one else on here doesn't either then maybe you could ask the person that gave you the job what the deal with tax is?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Here's a list of the wages paid last year for under 18s

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055582233

Thanks for the help everyone!! Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I think I might have gotten extra for the Saturday that I had to go in on but I only worked for a week and a half and got paid about two hundred and eighty, was a really handy job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Blushingblue

So my little sister was supposed to be doing this this year but instead when she got to the school Tuesday, she and a few other girls are just making the tea for all the examiners and cleans up after them when they are finished. She doesn't sit outside the exam halls and once everything is cleaned up, she can go home. A few other girls are just sitting outside the classrooms and are getting paid something like that list in the link **Timbuk2** gave, but none of the girls making the tea have been told what they will be paid for doing it as no one they ask seems to know! They were told by one of the teachers that they were getting paid for every day that they are in, but she didn't know what either!
    Anyone hear of this happening before as when I did this years ago, the people outside the classrooms brought in the tea and biscuits?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mr_Gusty

yeh. its nowhere near minimum wage.

i think the english exams last year which are 3h20mins each were 16.80 for under 18's.

you get a set fee for turning up the day before the exam for the hours induction or whatever.

and there is a minimum payment of something like 6.80. so for 40 minutes of an oral exam you get paid 6.80 cos its the minimum.

your examiner will give you a sheet with rates on it. and ask you calculate what you are owed. to make sure they dont fleece you. the examiner actually pays you personally and then re-coups the expense.
    my examiner paid me with a personal cheque.

I did it last year the set amount for each exam is the length of thst exam worked out to minimum wage... which is less if your under 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I got around 300 last year.. and make sure they arent underpaying you, my one tried to pay me around 50 less than what I was meant to get... It depends on how many exams your minding.
    as far as i know, they have a sheet with how much each exam is worth. e.g it will say 2.50 hrs for geography = 15 euro or whatever, 3.20 hrs = 20 euro...
    My superintendant never actually gave me that sheet, I had to borrow it from my friend and count it up myself! recheck your calculations lots of times just to make sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I didnt do it but peeps in my school last year all got paid around 300 regaurdless of age

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I got 400 last yr and I was 17. I was paid 6.06. I'm nut sure but definately not over 7.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

It's very simple.
    Minimum wage if you're 18.
    6.06 an hour if you're under 18.
    No tax.

You add up the number of hours and multiply it out and mark it out an sheet your superintendent gives you, and they pay you at the end of your last day. Some might give you a little tip of a fiver or a tenner. I did the Junior Cert up to the last day and ended up with 290 euro, if you're doing the Leaving Cert it's longer hours so you'll get around four hundred if you're up to the very end.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

*Angel* wrote: »
    Well be prepared to be bored as hell, make sure you bring some cards, mags, anything!

If you are supervising an exam it is strictly forbidden to bring in reading material, or to do anything other than "supervise". This also applies if you are supervising one student only (there are many centres now where students with special needs do the exam on their own)

Listen very carefully to the directions given to you, and take this stuff seriously. One error and you're gone. Or worse, the whole country will be talking about you for a week, as in the case of the guy who messed up at the English exam last year.

You do not have to do much, but you have to do it perfectly.

It is well paid---over 100Euro a day, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

If you are supervising an exam it is strictly forbidden to bring in reading material, or to do anything other than "supervise". This also applies if you are supervising one student only (there are many centres now where students with special needs do the exam on their own)

Listen very carefully to the directions given to you, and take this stuff seriously. One error and you're gone. Or worse, the whole country will be talking about you for a week, as in the case of the guy who messed up at the English exam last year.

You do not have to do much, but you have to do it perfectly.

It is well paid---over 100Euro a day, I think.

Oh, sorry. I thought you were supervising. Sitting outside the door is totally different, and paid much less. Still, it shows somebody trusts you, and you can put it on your CV

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

I believe it is 7.65 an hour. Minimum wage, in other words.

I did it in 4th yr and it was strictly 6.06 an hour since i was under 18! Wasnt alot but my examiner gave me something like 40-50 euro extra! Was really sound!

Got paid bout €450 for the whole thing! Was easy money since all i did was just sit and do nothing.

It all depends on what exam centre you get. Some close when the more students finish their exams, atleast in my school it did. If you have to centre that caters for Economics and Technology, Religion etc. (the last exams) you will get paid a load! The hours are long and painfully boring but you'll get well over €500!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Blushingblue

fauxshow wrote: »
    It's very simple.
    Minimum wage if you're 18.
    6.06 an hour if you're under 18.
    No tax.

You add up the number of hours and multiply it out and mark it out an sheet your superintendent gives you, and they pay you at the end of your last day. Some might give you a little tip of a fiver or a tenner. I did the Junior Cert up to the last day and ended up with 290 euro, if you're doing the Leaving Cert it's longer hours so you'll get around four hundred if you're up to the very end.

My sister thought this would be the same for her but was given a form by the secretary of the school and not by any of the superintendants. All 3 girls ,making the tea, coffee and biscuits, were told to write down their names, addresses, PPS no. and the days (not hours) they are doing all on the one form. I just asked her and even the teacher, who told them who was being an exam attendant and who was making the tea, didn't have any idea of what they were being paid or who was paying them.

Advertisement