Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satelite broadband

• 06-06-2005 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

is there anybody using satelite braodband in Delgany/Greystones area, i am interested in finding out how it performs/its reliability etc

or is there any1 who has it and is not in that area could they let me know what it is like please

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

For gaming its a big nono! For downloading its fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Since you're asking about Satellite in this area is it safe to assume that you can't get DSL?

IBB provide a wireless service from Bray Head, and there is also a GBS scheme which is working to bring BB to parts of Delgany (see www.bb4ne-wicklow.info)

HTH

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Satellite Broadband for me is like descending into heaven, it has vastly improved my internet experience. (i can't get ADSL) I got it from Euroskynet they are a german company based in Berlin, I am on a 1Mbps service for €6.90 a month and 1.5cent for every MB you download but i am thinking of upgrading to the 1Mbps service with 1000MBs included, if you go over the 1000Mbs its still 1.5cent for every Mb. You can read more about my exploits with this here I only have it working one week and it has changed my Internet life irrevsiably ('m never going back to 44kbps dial up) I checked on this Internet speed checker and its says i get between 800kbps to 500kbps average although one day i only got 250kbps but that was because a grey crow was sitting on the LNB arm of the dish !.
    this service works of the Telecom 2d satellite at 8 degrees west, their website say you can work off EBIRD 2a and TURKSAT but they are awfully hard to get locked onto, if you were to go ahead with this service, i'd recommend calling up some Satellite installers to see if they have Telecom 2d on their meters otherwise it will be impossible to align that dish i am working off an 80cms one and it works perfect. I had to buy a satellite meter off ebay with the telecom 2d sat on it as no instaler in kerry had that on their meter. I have found this to be the cheapest and fastest satellite broadband available which was why i chose it.

Remeber it is no good for voip or net gaming or uploading as you upload via your dial-up or isdn connection, You can also upload via a DSL connection if you just wanted the raw speed, the packages goes all the way up to 16MBps with unlimited download capacity in Prioritity 1 for €69.90 a month, you won't probably need this unless your into buisness or someit.

Anway hope you found this interesting,

Regards netwhizkid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

thanks for the help, il show my dad and let him have a look at the options

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I came across this site:
    http://broadbandss.com/bss_017.htm
    They claim to offer 4mbps and unlimited bandwidth for UK£25.99

Dunno if there may be a catch, perhaps it's available to UK only, though maybe worth looking into

• Advertisement
Advertisement