Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft's Xbox 360 will be priced at $299

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Peteee wrote:
    Again??

What price did the xbox launch at?

€479 (Launch Price (Ireland) 14 March, 2002)

(wikipedia)

A month later they dropped it to €299 because approximatly 7 people had bought one (my estimate)

i'm expecting both consoles to launch at €360 (Both for marketing reasons, sony taking the piss :D )

Did the original xbox really drop by that much that quick?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, the xbox price dropped like a stone, I picked up one from some friends in the business, they had no clue the drop was coming, then, due to dreadful initial sales xbox dropped to the aforementioned price point, and Microsoft gave us early adopters a free game and controller if memory serves me right. Nice of them, don't you think?
    Really its time to start saving, if you put a few bob away starting now you should have enough to fund all the next gen consoles as they are released. Of course after release you are probably going to have to be satisfied witht the 2 or 3 decent titles in amongst the launch dribble, but thats always the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

but what kinda prices will we be talking for the games? ive heard time and time again thay they make a loss on the console but make it back in the games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I think I heard games will be about E60 - E70.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

looking at the steady rise in games as time has gone id say 60 for the first batch and then the 70's as next gen games get more complex and bigger budget.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Reckon the price of games will simply be whatever the market can handle, and thats what they are now.
    Remember when games for your megadrive and snes were £40 and £50 pounds?
    Thats about €55 to €70 and not even taking 10 years of inflation into account.
    Nope, reckon the current pricing structure will remain.
    The increased complexity of the 32 and 128 bit games didn't change the pricing of games at all, in fact the biggest impact was the change from carts to cd/dvd media, makinhg things much cheaper to mass produce.
    You have to look at the way a price of a game breaks down and jsut how much goes to the game production.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say the games will start off at a ridiculous 70 euro and then drop. It happened with the last two generations as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'd say the games will start off at a ridiculous 70 euro and then drop. It happened with the last two generations as well.

I was at my friends house yesterday, he still has the sticker on his MoH Frontline box from the very few days it came out here.

69.99 :o

Funny, seeing as its about 7 euro pre owned around the place and 15 new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's also no point in spending 60 euros on a new game in game or gamestop. HMV have all the new games for 50 euros and then a fiver off with there game card. They also seem to get every game in unlike someplaces that are quite selective. I don't know how the big chains get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Retr0gamer wrote:
    There's also no point in spending 60 euros on a new game in game or gamestop. HMV have all the new games for 50 euros and then a fiver off with there game card. They also seem to get every game in unlike someplaces that are quite selective. I don't know how the big chains get away with it.

You make a good point. One place fifty yards down Grafton Street selling games a tenner more expensive. I can't even remember the last time I payed the full-whack of 60 euro for a game.

IF my memory serves me correctly, PS2 games were about 63 and then went to 65 and now they're still about someplaces that unless you travel to HMV.

I wouldn't say the new games will be too unlike it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I'm getting my xbox from america. What a fantastic coincidence that i'll be in LA during the time of it's launch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Would it be worth getting it in America? Isnt there only a week or something in the difference of release dates?

Cheaper games from america, more than likely cheaper console, no ridiculous release dates, don't miss out on any games (although on xbox it's a far better than the situation with the PS2 with only ninja gaidens lack of decapitations being annoying). So overall, yes. Will also be getting an american PS3.

But most importantly, I will enjoy bragging about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,345 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

if you buy a xbox 360 or ps3 from America how are you suppose to play rented games from your local xtra vision etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

if you buy a xbox 360 or ps3 from America how are you suppose to play rented games from your local xtra vision etc
    Chipped?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Chipped?

I wonder how long it will take before the machine is chipped, actually. I don't think there's any if about it, it's really a when. It is just a PC after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,345 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Chipped?
    thats an obvious answer

Microsoft must have improved alot, security wise since the orignal xbox

isnt the first person to chipped the xbox sucessfully work for Microsoft now?

so it might take a good bit longer to get the 360 chipped

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'm getting my xbox from america. What a fantastic coincidence that i'll be in LA during the time of it's launch :D

Don’t worry we'll all find a way to have Customs waiting for you on your return.

• Advertisement

I never rent games. I like to own my games and I haven't bought a bad game in years. Quite easy to do if you do some research before hand. Unless of course the game is called Final Fantasy X-2. Should have been clued in when an FF game gets less than 85% in most reviews.
    Don’t worry we'll all find a way to have Customs waiting for you on your return.

They can take my land but they will never take my xbox360!

Advertisement