Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win the world cup?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The dutch will never win it. They had their golden days and they are all long gone. They are weaker now and with all the usual infighting it just spells a mediocre campagin for them
    Van Basten has really put his foot down on the Dutch squad and the likes of Kluivert and Seedorf and the "golden era" of the mid-nineties are all gone.

They now have a hungry team, made up of ambitious players, many of whom still play domestically. Also note PSV's good run in this years CL.

They currently sit top of their group, which contains Czech and Romania, not to mention Finland and even Macedonia, and have only dropped two points out of a possible 21.

Players like Makaay, RvN, Van Bommel, Van Der Saar, Van Bronkhorst will mix experience with the exiting youth of Van Der Vaart, Van Persie, Robben.

But to top it off, while I feel that Brazil have the strongest side, the WC is rarely won by a country from a foreign continent, plus a huge Dutch following from just across the border should see the Dutch go one better than they did last time it was in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I would put money on Holland Not winning it. they had their golden era with Gullet et al and they never won anything AFAIK. they are nearly men who concentrated on more on technical ability than putting the ball in the back of the net.

It took france 2 attempts to win the WC. Even with ZiZu. They had a mafnificant squad. I cant see the Netherlands winning it this time around.

It has to be a Brasil Germany final IMO with Brasil winning it. Brasil dont have any mental problems travelling.. its just football. Although I wouldnt write the Germans off just yet and they could go on to win it, Brasil have too many good players.

In saying that.. last team i thought would win Euro2004 was Portugal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Brazil will win it. Can't see anyone beating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I would put money on Holland Not winning it. they had their golden era with Gullet et al and they never won anything AFAIK.

Euro 88 - in Germany ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I would put money on Holland Not winning it. they had their golden era with Gullet et al and they never won anything AFAIK. they are nearly men who concentrated on more on technical ability than putting the ball in the back of the net.
    I would have classed their "golden era" to have been when they had Cryff, Rep et al, and when Ajax won three European Cups back to back, and Holland reached the WC final.....................in Germany ;)
    Brasil dont have any mental problems travelling.. its just football.
    The record in WC's in Europe in the last twenty years shows only one progression past the quarters in three attempts.

Its just not a case of Brazil not travelling well either, its a case of European teams doing better in Europe.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

seansouth wrote:
    Euro 88 - in Germany ;)
    LOL :D

I wonder if there is anyone involved in the current Dutch team who played in Euro 88 - what was the name of that guy who scored 'that' goal in the final? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Uraguay!

Is Paulo Sosa still playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eirebhoy wrote:
    Brazil will win it. Can't see anyone beating them.

You could have watched Argentina destroy on Bravo this evening... :D

Seriously, if Argentina can repeat their form from the first 45 minutes against Brazil they'll walk it. They tore into Brazil, and denied Brazil's attacking quartet any space or timeon the ball (and when that didn't work, they kicked themlike all good South American's know how... ;) ) Riquelme's (sp?) goal was magnificent.

Brazil relied on long balls to Robinho. And Brian kerr gets dogs abuse for trying it with the Ginger Pele...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah Argentina fairly destroyed Brazil last night, although Roberto Carlos' goal was something else.

B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

the brasilian coach went for 4 strikers FFS. No wonder they lost it. I think some more regular tatics and brasil will cruise to the final. They have a brilliant team IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gee, it looks like Ireland has a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

the brasilian coach went for 4 strikers FFS. No wonder they lost it. I think some more regular tatics and brasil will cruise to the final. They have a brilliant team IMO

But isn't that the problem with Brazil? They're not reknowned for sacrificing attacking flair for tactics and a balanced team?

Struck me as the case on Thursday night (Bravo coverage) anyway, played a 4-2-2-2 formation with the only width being provided by the wingbacks. Crazy stuff. Roque Junior is a liability as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

You could have watched Argentina destroy on Bravo this evening... :D
    There'll be no home advantage and Argentina have been poor in recent tournaments. They played most of their first team in the Copa America final while Brazil played a bunch of kids and still won. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

eirebhoy wrote:
    There'll be no home advantage and Argentina have been poor in recent tournaments. They played most of their first team in the Copa America final while Brazil played a bunch of kids and still won. :)

Yeah, Brazil played basically their U-21 side, and are World U-17 and Youth championships, as long as they get out of their group, I can't see anyone stopping them next season

Advertisement