Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XFire to host Bf2 demo this friday!

Options
  • 06-06-2005 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

The new Battlefield 2 demo is coming out soon. Sign up for Xfire's FPS Demos channel today, and you'll automatically be set up to start downloading the demo as soon as it's available - no worries, no waiting. You'll also get the official Battlefield 2 trailer immediately!

bf2_cover.jpg

If you use it handy i suppose.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

eh, it going to be all over the net anyway ;)

I'm gonna bittorrent it probably

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

As usual EA download servers would get hammered within moments of the demo coming online. This is once again a perfect time to show the benefit of BitTorrent technology.

Hopefully there shall be some torrent links up online as soon as possible. I shall try and get as many links as I can find when it comes out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

it says PCCD, please let there be a DVD version...sick of these games coming on 2/3 CDs! Only basic computers made Pre-Win2k don't have DVDROMs, which, for what its worth, have no chance of running this game!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

There is a DVD version, but i don't think its been confirmed if both formats are going to all markets, we could end up with just DVD or CD.... last i heard it sounded like DVD only to some of the uk retailers...
    16x DVD-ROM drive

US retailers have been doing pre-orders seperately for both versions..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

but the US is still strangely pre-disposed to the CD format for some reason, so I guess we'll see! ;)

• Advertisement

the only reason i can see why they would still stick cd is :
    3 cd's + cost to burn 3cd's < 1 dvd + cost to burn that dvd...

I guess alot of spare cd burning capacity in plants now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv loads of bandwith available so ill see if I can mirror the demo Friday as soon as I can get a copy my self.

As shall i, should have a US and Irish mirrors of it both on 100mbit connections ... though initally getting it could be a problem...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

We can see how things pan out but if sombody had either XFire or IGN login we should be ok.

The problem will be as usual not enough 'free' mirrors for people to use. EA's servers will be hammered as they usually are when normal patches just come out. The only other places after that then are going to be the usual fileplanet, filefront etc. which will all have nice big queue's unless you pay them uber $$$.

After its out a few hours I'd expect some local mirrors to be out for it at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

im just buying the game screw this demo lark. Its not that long a wait for it and ive waited long enough another 2 weeks wont kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

im just buying the game screw this demo lark. Its not that long a wait for it and ive waited long enough another 2 weeks wont kill me.

It would kill me!

I'm dying here.

Busting to play with the toys and be used to every weapon
    and class before the full game comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Thats just insane your better off getting the demo to make sure it's worth the money and will run alright who know's it could end up the boreing buggy unblanced mess that was vietnam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

The demo was apparently leaked on the net today, managed to nab the torrent but will let ya know if its a fake or not.

The demo was apparently leaked on the net today, managed to nab the torrent but will let ya know if its a fake or not.
    doit4kl.jpg

but I doubt it's real, first the demo is going to be gamecentre exclusive, and then it will be leaked by someone

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Not real, just a rename

the only problem with this release is that if gamespy are given it excluseively other mirrors maybe forced to close as they appear as infringing on gamespy's exclusive distribution of the demo....happened before for something similar iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bobo !!! your a psychic!!!!!!!

BF2 Demo Exclusive? [June 07, 2005, 11:47 pm EDT] - 24 Comments
    Battlefield Nation has word from a video interview with producer Scott Evans saying the Battlefield 2 demo, planned for release this Friday (story) will have an as-yet undefined period of exclusivity on GameSpot's GameCenter service: "Yeah, you guys are gonna have an exclusive period on the demo where you have to go to GameCenter to get it." These exclusives are sometimes actually in essence just premieres.

kdjac

So secret mirroring then, effort.... or well just no posting links on ere i guess....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Cant wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Darth Bobo wrote:
    So secret mirroring then, effort.... or well just no posting links on ere i guess....
    Damn straight bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Well someone get a copy of the linux server for me and send me a link to a mirror.

I've heard rumours that EA have said there will be no Linux at launch. However DICE have wlways said there will be.

Worth a look: http://www.bf2linux.com/index.php

Not sure if there will be a Linux version of the demo released however :(

Darth Bobo wrote:
    the only problem with this release is that if gamespy are given it excluseively other mirrors maybe forced to close as they appear as infringing on gamespy's exclusive distribution of the demo....happened before for something similar iirc
    In the gaming industry, the free playable demo is one of the most popular and powerful tools to interest gamers in the final product. Production and testing of a demo can also take significant resources out of a development team. It therefore seems logical to expect publishers will maximise the game's exposure by giving the demo the widest possible release.

Unfortunately this is not always the case, and sometimes a demo is given the most restricted release: to one site for several days or even a week. The marketing perception that this creates good exposure for the pertaining demo is actually a misconception, as enthusiast gamers resent having only one, crowded, choice for download. And all file hosting sites, including the ones listed below, will simply not mention the demo at all, thus limiting its exposure to general news sites only.

Promotions like this only help one website, but at the expense of alienating the enthusiast community which makes up a large chunk of the overall audience and download traffic. It absolutely hurts the industry at large much more than it can help a single relationship.

We have already presented this situation to several major publishers who have had plans to do exclusive demos in the past and who have agreed to stop this practice, but it's still happening. Therefore, in an effort to end this once and for all, the following gaming websites (together representing 19 million unique visitors per month) have agreed not to host any exclusive demos anymore, even after they eventually become public:

3D Downloads
    3D Gamers
    3D-Shooter.net
    ActionTrip
    Adrenaline Vault
    AusGamers
    Boomtown
    ComputerGames.ro
    Daily Rush
    Fappin
    FileCity.gr
    FileFront
    FileShack
    FileRush
    Fragland.net
    Fragzone.se
    GameCenter.cz
    Gamer's Hell
    GameNavigator
    GameSurf.de
    GameTab
    LoadedInc
    NoFrag
    NordicGamers
    PC Gameworld
    Tiscali Games
    WorthPlaying

While these websites are normally competitors, this competition provides the freedom of choice that enthusiasts want by offering the widest possible distribution of any demo rather than the most restricted one. Therefore, something this disrespectful of the industry as a whole has inspired all of these websites to stand together in this open letter.

We value your readership and ask for your support in sending out this message by not downloading exclusive demos, emailing game companies who release exclusive demos, and letting your opinion be known on public message boards.

Sites wishing to join this alliance are welcome to contact us.

from the forums on www.filerush.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

3D Downloads
    3D Gamers
    3D-Shooter.net
    ActionTrip
    Adrenaline Vault
    AusGamers
    Boomtown
    ComputerGames.ro
    Daily Rush
    Fappin
    FileCity.gr
    FileFront
    FileShack
    FileRush
    Fragland.net
    Fragzone.se
    GameCenter.cz
    Gamer's Hell
    GameNavigator
    GameSurf.de
    GameTab
    LoadedInc
    NoFrag
    NordicGamers
    PC Gameworld
    Tiscali Games
    WorthPlaying

Good lord no one will have it and theres no way in hell gamespot can cope with the demand on their own.

torrents will flourish!

and tbh I think for BF2, all those websites will swallow their pride and still host it, and EA knows it.

I notice the IGN network(which includes gamespy,fileplanet.com,etc..) is missing off that list...them probally being the biggest one... and the one which usually recieves the exclusives...

I'm guessing the smaller sites are banding together because they never get the exclusives, its not about getting a game's hype up, gamespot/gamespy pay for it...plain n simple...

if gamespot/cnet network have it, and after the embargo IGN have it too, thats enough bandwidth for everyone... But were not that patient... :)

torrenting might be the way to go...

Advertisement