Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Likely is....[Poetry]

Options
  • 06-06-2005 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

it for either; Emily Dickinson,Yeats or TS Elliot to appear. Im hoping against hope that one of these comes up, as i know them so much better than i do the others. I suppose i could strech it to Longely aswell, but im not to hot on Wordsworth and his whole Tintern Abbey epic! How many poets have you got learnt WELL?

Comments

Dickinson and Yeats are the two most likely to come up, with Boland being the third, so you should be safe..............hopefully. :)

Personally I'm studying Yeats, Dickinson and Boland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Josh Windenberg

Dickinson and Yeats are the two most likely to come up, with Boland being the third, so you should be safe..............hopefully. :)

Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

And if they didn't?

Would you be able to attempt any of the others?

Seems a little risky it is 12.5% of the whole english exam...

I guess though I learnt my lesson from the mocks (my poet didn't turn up).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Sexy. Thats good news. I can waffle for ages on those two. I'm not a big fan of Mr Elliot, or Mr longely, and its always easier to write about poets you actually like.

TimAy wrote:
    its always easier to write about poets you actually like.

Very much so, that's why I"m hoping for the unlikely Kavanagh. I'd be happy with Dickinson, Yeats and maybe Heaney though.

• Advertisement

It's not 12.5% if we put some weight to each poet, i.e the likeliness of each of them coming up. When I worked it out before, it was 93%, so I'm pretty sure I'm ok.

And I know a good bit about Kavanagh and Longley too. :)

Read her post again Aristotle, you misunderstood the 12.5 %

Read her post again Aristotle, you misunderstood the 12.5 %

Ah! I'm too tired from all the study and not going to sleep last night. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

hey
    I'm doing Kavanagh, Dickinson and Yeats

I know Kavanagh came up last year
    but wasnt his cenetenary last year or is it this year?

It's not 12.5% if we put some weight to each poet, i.e the likeliness of each of them coming up. When I worked it out before, it was 93%, so I'm pretty sure I'm ok.

And I know a good bit about Kavanagh and Longley too. :)

I meant it's 12.5% of the overall marks. :confused: do you meant 93% chance that Dickinson and Yeats will turn up?

I know Kavanagh came up last year
    but wasnt his cenetenary last year or is it this year?

I'm pretty sure it was last year.

• Advertisement

*Angel* wrote:
    I meant it's 12.5% of the overall marks. :confused: do you meant 93% chance that Dickinson and Yeats will turn up?

Yeah sorry i corrected myself.

And I meant it's 93% likely that Yeats, Dickinson or Boland would come up if we include how likely they are to come up, if that makes sense.

Yeah sorry i corrected myself.

And I meant it's 93% likely that Yeats, Dickinson or Boland would come up if we include how likely they are to come up, if that makes sense.

I do but that is purely your personal expectation for example i think that it is 99% likely that one of the woman will come up so my % is 99.8

I do but that is purely your personal expectation for example i think that it is 99% likely that one of the woman will come up so my % is 99.8

My expectation was a bit lower for a woman to certainly come up as I believe it's a coincidence. But it was still high though, as both of these women are likely for other reasons too, especially Dickinson because of what happened last year.

My expectation was a bit lower for a woman to certainly come up as I believe it's a coincidence. But it was still high though, as both of these women are likely for other reasons too, especially Dickinson because of what happened last year.

And also the fact, she never came up and is being taken off the course!

I bet that neither of the female poets will turn up, just to spite everyone who assumed. But I do think Dickinson is more likely cos like Aristotle said there was the whole thing about her last year.

Hmm i was wondering, do bookies take bets on this. Would be a good way to see the likelyhood(sp?) of each poet. And could make you a few €'s!

TimAy wrote:
    Hmm i was wondering, do bookies take bets on this. Would be a good way to see the likelyhood(sp?) of each poet. And could make you a few €'s!

I was thinking that exactly last night ****! that is gas!

what happened with emily dickinson last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I was thinking that exactly last night ****! that is gas!

what happened with emily dickinson last year

Emphasis mine... what the hell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

Anyone else ever noticed that poetry is one of the least point on the paper yet it by far takes up the most time over the last two years.Comprehending B on paper 1 (letters,speechs,report,talks,article) are equal points-wise and i bet the majority of people never even look at these..We (me included) should really wise up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Anyone else ever noticed that poetry is one of the least point on the paper yet it by far takes up the most time over the last two years.Comprehending B on paper 1 (letters,speechs,report,talks,article) are equal points-wise and i bet the majority of people never even look at these..We (me included) should really wise up..

Yes! wtf is with that??!!! I've probably studied 10 times more for my poetry than my comparative.....50:70??!! It's ridiculous, we should just have something like 3 poets and THAT IS IT!!! We should start a petition......or something.........

:)

• Advertisement

we wont care in 2 days

Thank God!

Advertisement