Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a Game Server

Options
  • 06-06-2005 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post if it is in the wrong section, my apologies, anyway:

Can anyone tell me what i would need i.e. Server specs, internet connection & Costs, to set up a game server for Irish players. i want to set this up in my own home.

I want to be able to have between 20/30 players in each game.
    The games i want to run on it are:

Medal of Honour (Allied Assault & Breakthrough)
    Call of duty
    UT2004
    Americas Army
    Counter Strike
    Battlefield 1942 / Vietnam

Im going have the games scheduled for different days of the week.

Would i be better of renting a server? If so could you point me to a good company, preferrably an irish one as i would like to have a low ping.

And of course i shall post the IP address on boards.ie when i have it set up.

Thanks in advance!

JC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=257911

have a read of that.

You want a decent upload to host one for 20 players preferably 4mbit or higher and nothing else going net wise on that connection.

128 per person playing upload is a good guide.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Run Linux on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

KdjaC wrote:
    You want a decent upload to host one for 20 players preferably 4mbit or higher and nothing else going net wise on that connection.

Thanks for your reply

Do you know any company offering such a connection with upload speeds of 4mb? Any idea of costs?

Cheers

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Makaveli wrote:

Hmm yeah i was looking at that, but not sure if it would be suitable as the contention ratio is 24:1.

Maybe im just better off renting a server? I was maybe thinking:

http://www.rack365.ie/servers_pentium.php

The Business Pentium option. Does anyone know if these servers would be suitable for running game servers?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Overflow wrote:
    Hmm yeah i was looking at that, but not sure if it would be suitable as the contention ratio is 24:1.

Maybe im just better off renting a server?

that 24:1 contention ratio will ruin your bandwidth at peak times, my advice is to buy server space in a rack in one of the ISPs if your serious, you can host multiple games on it and bandwith wont be a problem, I had one in IOL a while back, but thats was free when i worked there, not sure how much it costs now

Advertisement