Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk 106.

Options
  • 06-06-2005 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Used to only listen to music on the radio when I was younger, but car journeys got me listening to chat shows. Im really getting to enjoy newstalk...love sean mulcreefs show. What do you's think of it the all chat radio station?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

never heard it

put it on Sky or something please

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Moncrief . . Is a pure legend. Really injects some life into afternoon radio.

He often has me in stitches.

(taken from the newstalk 106 website)
    Sean Moncrieff
    Sean has a wealth of experience in the media. He writes a weekly column for The Irish Examiner, has presented numerous television shows such as 'The End', 'Good Grief Moncrieff', 'Black Box' and 'Don't feed the Gondolas' and his next book 'Stark Raving Rulers' is due to be released in October. Despite his pristine physical condition, Sean is actually 97 years old. He has fourteen children from five different women, none of whom talk to him anymore. He has an abiding hatred of peas, and works tirelessly with various charities to have all spherical green vegetables banned worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I love Newstalk ... I've been listening since just after it started up [a long time to be listening to the radio I know :D].

It was the breakfast show with David McWilliams that got me listening. I'd miss the day time shows then listen to George Hook on the way home.

Where I am now, I get to listen to the whole day of it! Dunphy's ok in the morning, don't really like Orla Barry or Declan Carty's shows, Damien Kiberd is great, so is Sean & George gets me home in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Newstalk is fantastic. Wish it was national - for the times I'm driving down to waterford - I can't bear to listen to radio 1 or the usual mundane music radio stations with their chart music.

Been listening to it for a long time as well. McWilliams was excellent, in fact I'd go as far as to say he was a lot better than Dunphy (who I also like). Dunphy has a broader appeal i guess.

The afternoon show that Moncrieff replaced was also very good. It was done by a male and female host (can't remember the names off hand) but was often frequented by Clint Velour among others.

Darragh O'Brien was good with his own mid-morning show (the flip side) - but I haven't found him nearly as good when he's filling in for others.

Re: Orla Barry and Declan Carty - i'd be of the mind that they were better as a duo. They had good interaction - brought more humour to their shows - which can be a bit dry.

All in all - great radio station. With phantom (still) off the air - I wouldn't listen to any radio if it wasn't for newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ah sean is a class act. i feel empty if i miss it...

and like reactor, i thought david mcwilliams was far superior to dunfy. i didn't think he'd get sacked, i thought they'd put him on nights or something instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I love newstalk. Its really the only thing I would listen to on the radio. I love off the ball. The sports coverage is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Feownah

Indeed, indeed it's a great radio show, love the texting , craics me up, gets down to interesting issues and current events without boring you like radio 1 or today fm current affair shows...

Loved the end of Don't Feed The Gondala's....Hello I'm calling from a little village in wwweeessst of Ireland called Ahahaskra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Never thought I would be complimenting a news talk show but yes...it is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭Genghis

Brilliant station ... practically the only thing I listen to on the radio, if Newstalk doesn't interest me, I'll go to my MP3 collection. Their line-up really is impressive, Dunphy, Hook, Moncrieff, Kiberd, O'Brian and Gilroy are all excellent at what they do. I hear Damien Kiberd has been appointed 'Editor in Chief' - can only be good for the station, except that he will need to be replaced as a presenter (he is double-jobbing until that time). Did someone say "Marion Finucane"?

I wish they had a national licence - even a listing on Sky as Mossy suggests. The rumours about podcasting are also interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

newstalk is great especially when your working in a boring job and you cant be arsed listening to music shows all day

only problem with mcwilliams was he didnt pull in the ratings enough, Dunphy is a huge name in Irish media

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Gemsbok15

I'm a big fan of Declan & Damien, also Dunphy, sometimes George when he goes ballistic and attracks the establishment, doesn't happen enough though! Like Roger at the weekend also, thankfully Royston seems to be put out to pasture, any word on a Late Night programme, the repeat of Dunphy is grand, but a live progamme would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Moncrieff is fantastic. Beautifully irreverent to the last. Badly needed daytime entertainment and humorous stimulation. I look forward to reading that book, hope it's as good as it promises to be.

Damo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The only good thing about Newstalk is off the ball with Ger gilroy the man is very good and insightful and also a bit of craic, also is Dunphy worth 400 grand plus a year?

Advertisement