Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing in Block Caps in English?

Options
  • 06-06-2005 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Well, is it allowed. I don't want to chance it unless its allowed but I do have a problem... I can't write normal anymore. You try writing in block caps (you normal people), notice how you have to kind of think of how to form the letter, well it is twice as slow isn't it?, well thats how it feels for me now if i want to write lower case again.

I hope block caps won't be a problem. In a way, if i can use them it will make my writing more easier to read and might make the examiner very happy.

Now back to my first question, is block capitals allowed in the English exam?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

A guy in my class did this for his aural pre..He was strongly recommended against it as it is actually proven to be more difficult to read. And this was for the oral ,very little writing so for english with so much writing i think you may piss the examiner off and english being as subjective as it is you really dont want this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

I suggest that you write actual capital letters in larger block capitals so as to distinguish them.

(lol Kerry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Webmonkey wrote:
    Well, is it allowed. I don't want to chance it unless its allowed but I do have a problem... I can't write normal anymore. You try writing in block caps (you normal people), notice how you have to kind of think of how to form the letter, well it is twice as slow isn't it?, well thats how it feels for me now if i want to write lower case again.

I hope block caps won't be a problem. In a way, if i can use them it will make my writing more easier to read and might make the examiner very happy.

Now back to my first question, is block capitals allowed in the English exam?

A friend of mine does this. If you do German you are f*cked - have to write normally because of the capitalisation of nouns. English.....hmm I dunno, my friend uses joined writing for English, so it never came-up...I wouldn't say it would be the best form because of the 10% of everything you get for mechanics, but would that even ne included??

The most unhelpful reply EVER

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I would imagine they'd dock a few marks for mechanics. I would.

Don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Do you mean like captials the whole way THROUGH?

Or just non joint writing?

For a long time now I have hated joint writing as you can get some wacky versions of it which make it impossible to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I better do lowercase then. I mean by block letters: BLOCKS LIKE THIS. I can't see how its harder to read though, I think its dead simple and quick to read but i suppose i should be like 99% of the rest of the country and write lowercase, need all the marks i can get

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i highly doubt they can deduct for writing style

You don't really want to put the examiner in bad humour though.

TimAy wrote:
    i highly doubt they can deduct for writing style
    But there's meant to be a difference in height between capital letters and lower case letters. It is a part of English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

It wouldn't be very aesthetically pleasing to the examiner so I wouldn't do it. And could you really stand writing the whole exam like that?

• Advertisement

I write in block caps but I make a distinction from upper case and lower case letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well it is over now and i successfully wrote my exam in lower case. It was hard at the begining but i soon got the hang of it. Anyhow good luck on the rest of your exams all!

The writing became so monotonous. My hand almost spazzed out and left me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

A guy in my class did this for his aural pre..He was strongly recommended against it as it is actually proven to be more difficult to read. And this was for the oral ,very little writing so for english with so much writing i think you may piss the examiner off and english being as subjective as it is you really dont want this..
    how is block capitals more difficult to read than free hand you idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

i just can't write anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Basically, if they can read it, it's alright.

Advertisement