Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 - own one?

Options
  • 06-06-2005 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Do any of you guys own a Volvo S40 (1.6 or 1.8 model) ?

What are they like in terms of reliability, servicing, etc?

(I'm considering one (amongst other options) as a replacement for my Civic - see below)

Cheers,
    Silvera.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

........do they have a Renault engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

My wife has a 2003 S40 Sport Automatic. Obviously that's the old model. It's a 1.8, 125 bhp. Nice driver, handles well. Sport model is geared for performance so the auto box is inclined to kick down a bit more than I'd like. That's my only complaint. Had a 2001 1.8i before that. That was a manual and a lovely car.

Car is due a service in the next few weeks, so we've no idea about that. Soon as we get it done I'll post info.

The 2003 1.8 has a Volvo engine. The other one had a Mitsubishi engine. That was a SE (special edition) all leather with electric windows all round and some plastic masquerading as wood. The Mitsu GDI engine was very economical giving about 38 mpg (a mix of daily M50 commute and urban driving). The newer one gives about 29 mpg, but it is an automatic.

Not aware of any of them having Renault engines, but looking at the number of different models they've produce I wouldn't be surprised.

Had the pleasure of driving a 2000 2.0 T a couple of weeks ago. Huge acceleration. Handling was a bit scary though. Too much power to front wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

The new ones are like mini-S60's, they look the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The original S40 had a 1.9 diesel engine from Renault. It was built in Holland next to the Mitsubishi Carisma. Both cars shared alot of components including engines but were aimed at different markets.

Volvo is now owned by Ford and the new S40 shares alot of components with the Ford Focus including the 1.6 diesel which is made by Peug/Citroen.

Thanks for the info guys!

So do any of you know if the 98/99/00 1.6 and 1.8 S40 has a mitsubishi engine?

Sounds like a perfect car - the build of a Volvo with the reliability of a jap engine! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That is the thing with the S40 it is hard to tell which engines were in which model. As far as I know the 1.8 manual from 1998 onwards was the Mitsubishi engine whereas the 1.6, 1.8 auto and 2.0 were all Volvo engines. Reliability wise I have heard no nightmare stories but I have heard of electrical problems and servicing and parts can be expensive especially from a main stealer. Also depreciation is heavy on the S40 but this may suit your pocket.

Best check out http://www.honestjohn.co.uk for his opinions.

Might be best to pick up a 1.9TD model which has a Renault unit, it's not the most refined diesel but will return good mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Have a '98 1.8

Pros: Solid, comfortable, hasn't given me ANY trouble, good sound system.
    Cons: Slow as hell, accel-wise. Seems to spark into life around 4k rpm.
    IIRC I was quoted circa €500 for a dealer service :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Silvera wrote:
    So do any of you know if the 98/99/00 1.6 and 1.8 S40 has a mitsubishi engine?
    The 01 we had was registered in February so it's quite likely it'd be the same as a 2000 model. Look for a 1.8i on the bootlid. To my knowledge the Volvo 1.8 engine didn't have the "i".
    Unlike Dr Dre's '98 1.8 the 1.8i was quite lively. (Didn't break landspeed records or anything, but nice acceptable accelleration all the same. Let's just say it shouldn't disappoint)

Thanks guys.

I wonder why they depreciate so much?
    (Even though it suits me fine!:D)

Especially as they are reliable and seemingly built as well as a VW Golf/Bora?

I saw a '98 1.8 with 40k for sale recently for €5,195 ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I have a 1999 petrol one with 1.6 L engine. Its been very reliable but I found the suspension very hard reflecting every little ripple in the road.
    It may be a little underpowered and I would prefer to have the 1.8L but the 1.6L has okay acceleration if you learn to give it plenty of accelerator pedal.
    Mine is a low mileage car only 33k with no problems but I was offered only €7k trade in against the new S40 priced at €31k recently. This I considered an insult so I won't be buying another Volvo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement