Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scratches

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

mike65 wrote:
    Get up early!
    Yeah right, that's gonna happen. :)
    Do the job when a you're fresh
    You think I should cut my car at 3am? :)
    and before the sun has got any heat in it or indeed there may be low cloud/mist.
    I'm lucky with this anyway, I have basement parking so after I've washed it I'll bring it inside for cutting and waxing.
    Make sure you're doing the job on freshly clean paint. Last thing you need is to rub in some gritty particles as you go.
    Hmmm, what's this claying thing, is that like the tar remover stuff that gets rid of the gooky sticky stuff on the lower doors that won't come off with a wash? I'd forgotten about that, will it affect the cutting process?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well claybar is'nt an absolute must or anything. A good soapy wash is good enough for most. What it does is fetch off any grit and other tiny particles that get embedded in the topcoat over time.

here a typical product http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-18

Finding some here is proberly a question of luck unless anyone knows of somewhere...? I ended up using ebay.co.uk

Tar remover is a good idea for tar! (that said I used petrol today as I have a can in the shed).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CASS06

Hi there, I was about to T-cut my car which is black metallic paint. I am worried about the varnish on the finish of my car. Will the T-cut take the varnish off?? should I use the Autoglm instead?? Any Help please:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I bought JML GS27 SCRATCH REMOVER in Maplin to remove some deep-ish scratches on my car bonnet and to remove the finngernail marks from behind the door handles and it worked brilliantly. Here's a link if anyone's interested

http://www.jmldirect.com/product.php?cid=4&pid=15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah That stuff is pretty good. the Autoglym or 3M are the best. I would recommend you use a cloth that is a little more than damp, if not quite dripping wet. You can spread the stuff far easier and do less damage !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

MercMad wrote:
    Yeah That stuff is pretty good. the Autoglym or 3M are the best. I would recommend you use a cloth that is a little more than damp, if not quite dripping wet. You can spread the stuff far easier and do less damage !

I've been learning quite a lot about detailing since my earlier posts on this thread and, believe me, there's a lot to learn. One thing I can tell you is that there is no such thing as a brand that's "the best." There are lots of different products from lots of different brands that do lots of different things to lots of different kinds of paint.

For example, for scratch removal, I'm now using a two-stage polishing polish with a random orbital polisher and using Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II. The first is more abrasive and does the rough work and the second gets rid of the haze and gives it a shine. It is very hard to remove scratches polishing by hand no matter what the product is.

Other folks swear by the Poorboys products, which come in gradations of abrasiveness. Then there's the whole Wolfgang and Zaino and Pinnacle and Blackfire and Optima and Meguiar's professional lines (and the list goes on). Needless to say, all of this stuff has to be imported. There is one online Europe-based store I've found that has some of these lines and prices in euros.

For what it's worth, I hear good things about 3M products.

Advertisement