Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloy wheel centre caps

Options
  • 06-06-2005 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a good place to buy centre caps and wheel nuts in Dublin?
    I presume you need "special" wheel nuts for alloys and the ones from your old steel wheels won't do?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Regarding nuts - there are different sizes and threads so go somewhere general like Halfords. Any nut for the car will fit irrespective of whether it is holding an alloy or steel rim on.

Regarding centre caps - for what car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

The guy that sold me the wheels says that ordinary nuts will eventually "pull through" the alloy!

The centre caps need to fit wheels by RW Alloys, Ghent, Belgium
    Size is 6J x 14H2

Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

i would assume the steel nuts would be harder then the alloy and therefore damage them. nice shiney alloy nuts can't hurt anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My megane has alloys, with shiny wheel nuts. But the spare wheel is an ordinary steel wheel, and it uses different wheel nuts, brass coloured. There is a warning sticker saying not to mix them up?
    There is obviously a good reason for this, but I dunno what that is?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think there is. The nuts need to be tightened to a specific torque - any tighter and you risk damaging alloy wheels. However, assuming the nuts are tightened correctly, I can't see any other probelm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Alloy wheel nuts usually differ from steel ones in the shoulder of the nut which contacts the wheel.
    If you hold the nut up and have a look at the part of the nut which contacts the wheel some are rounded and some are conical.
    IME the steel wheels usually have conical shoulders and the alloys rounded shoulders, I think it has to do with alloy and sharp corners= stress fracture whereas a hemispherical fit has a nice radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

prospect wrote:
    My megane has alloys, with shiny wheel nuts. But the spare wheel is an ordinary steel wheel, and it uses different wheel nuts, brass coloured. There is a warning sticker saying not to mix them up?
    There is obviously a good reason for this, but I dunno what that is?

It's likely that the nuts are different lengths to suit the thickness of the wheel - probably longer for the alloy, and shorter for the steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

oh dear. i didnt know this and have had alloys since february. nobody told me about special nuts. :( the only special nuts i got were lock nuts and put one on each wheel.

Advertisement